A real story about Power Rangers

Congratulations, you noticed something is different. Licensed before completion
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Chaos42
Gao

Re: A real story about Power Rangers

Post by Chaos42 »

i noticed right away -the big give away was stuff like the dragon armor on the green ranger changed to that cheap stuff. I was a kind and dinosaur robots were just cool -always wanted the original megazord to go with the dragon zord i had but parents -oh brother.
Link2Hyrule
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?

Post by Link2Hyrule »

I always knew there was something off about Power Rangers when if first came out. I was in third grade at the time, of course I knew nothing about Japan, let alone that they did TV shows and movies like we did in the states. I did, however, notice the change in picture quality during suited and Zord fight scenes, as well as the mismatched lip movements of S1 Rita. It was many years before I even knew PR existed in Japan, and even then, I didn't know right away what that was. I guess I just didn't look that hard, and took each revealment of information like that was the end of the story. Anyway, during that time I saw many more things up with PR, like the fact that they changed zords each season, but kept the same suits for 3. I did notice during S1 that the suits matched the zords (fairly obvious, I know, but I didn't think that at the time) and so I always wondered why they didn't get new suits to match those zords. Anyway, I didn't learn about PR's relationship with Japan until several years later, when I started reading Manga and watching Anime, and noticed several instances of Power Ranger parodies, and I remember thinking "I know Power Rangers is popular, but why would a Japanese medium even be featuring them, let alone parody them." It wasn't until much later that I learned Power Rangers originated in Japan, and I though 'THAT'S why the picture quality changes!" Even then, I didn't learn until about eighteen months ago the true history of the Japanese Power Rangers, aka Super Sentai, and that it had been in existence for over fifteen years before coming to America. So, now I know, now I've compared, and now I prefer Super Sentai, though I did recently do a watch-thru of all Power Ranger seasons, just to re-aquaint myself with the series, and also so I could do a thourough comparison of the different plots and such for each season.
Tomos
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Languages/singing

Post by Tomos »

I think I always noticed small things,like the footage suddenly going grainy and that bit in that one Lightspeed Rescue opening where they briefly show the GoGo5 henshin. Then I think I googled Power Rangers and on Rangerboard someone mentioned Sentai footage so I came across the Super Sentai Time Capsule and then I was interested for a couple of weeks or so,then I was interested in something else for 2 years,then SPD got me back into PR and this was November 2005 so I watched some bits of pieces of Magiranger and then when Boukenger had been out for a while I slowly started to watch it. Boukenger is the show that really got me into Sentai. I will watch most PR,but I absolutely hate Operation Overdrive.

Gekiranger I got bored of after episode 6 or so,then I got back into it when I heard about Gou. So eventually I watched all of Gekiranger,and I got to quite like it. And Go-Onger's the first one I watched all of while it was on. The only time since then I've really stopped is Goseiger. I got slow watching it and then I gave up eventually. So I still haven't finished Goseiger. It was a bit of a strange series,it had some really good parts and some really bad parts.

I've never really got into Zyuranger much because someone they didn't have much personality,and I can kind of see that. Although then again it wasn't on the best forum in the world somebody said that so they might be wrong.
Impact
7X
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Favorite Band: Gackt
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Shio Ramen
Quote: "Dios no me ama!"

Post by Impact »

I grew up watching the early seasons of Power Rangers. I dared to revisit my cherished childhood memories, and after watching an episode or two on Netflix, decided to leave them in my cherished memories, untainted. Then I got to thinking, the person that did my tax return one year talked about the Japanese originals, and it piqued my curiosity. So, I went on a dreadfully long google search quest (lasted maybe a minute) and ended up here two years ago and have never looked back.

Reminiscing aside, I noticed Rita looked a bit different. I just assumed that the facelift worked, or something. One thing I did notice as a kid, though, was the difference in video quality between unmorphed, and morphed scenes. I always wondered what that was about. Now I know.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Man, you were an observant kid. I never noticed that stuff. I remember some people said they noticed that all the people were Japanese in some scenes too.
Impact
7X
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
My boom: Shio Ramen
Quote: "Dios no me ama!"

Post by Impact »

takenoko wrote:Man, you were an observant kid. I never noticed that stuff. I remember some people said they noticed that all the people were Japanese in some scenes too.
I noticed it also when they would fight in the Zords. My assumption, as a child, was that they had to cut back on camera quality to afford the use of giant robots. Silly me.
Kymchee
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuranger
Dreamy: Geki of Zyuranger
Favorite Actor?: Yuuta Mochizuka
Favorite Band: Scatman John
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: uncut Pocket Monster
Quote: "There are some obstacles that cannot be removed with a mere show of force." The King of Atlantis, Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

Post by Kymchee »

I was 5 going on 6 and got hooked on it.

However, I never did like Saban's "practices" in other shows, especially Digimon Adventure.
Then again, when you hear that "there's more story than the American studios are letting on...", that can drive you crazy when you're OCD and anti-censorship.

Lately, I have been working on a project to see which pieces of footage were from Toei and which were from Saban. (5%-10% of suit footage was American, with American civilians in the scene) In fact, watching Power Rangers is a study in clever editing. Some footage was made with the American actors wearing the suits.

I took an interest in Super Sentai through a Christopher Columbus style Web search. I was 15 years old, Power Rangers was 10 seasons long and 10 years old. I looked up on IMDB on Power Rangers in the "Movie Connection" link. This link would tell of references to and from the film in other films, parodies of the film, even recycled footages sources. When I saw it was based on Zyuranger, I did more investigation. I then found a site that linked to yours with info from a fan living in Japan who writes in English. The first time I watched unedited and unsubbed Super Sentai was in the International District of Seattle (A Chinatown, Japantown (nihon-machi) and Little Saigon all in one, but it's most dominated by Japanese and Taiwanese shop owners) and it was the final episodes of Dairanger and the first four episodes of Gaoranger. I have 36 episodes of Gaoranger on DVD (I would have bought more, except at the time, I had to deal with the unusually and unfairly strong yen. In 2013, Japan weakened their artificially inflated yen from 80 yen to the dollar to 100 yen to the dollar.). Then again, I am still learning to conjugate words in Japanese. I know a lot of words in Japanese.

Then again, when your memories are overwritten, then it's a serious problem. I almost forgot an entire portion of my childhood and the associated hours of viewing material entertainment. Any memories of badly dubbed and edited footage were overwritten recently with the real deal and I find myself becoming ill with loss of consciousness from watching Americanized versions. Luckily, I have told this to someone at home. In fact, this has been going on since I was 14. Lately, the only memory that floated to the surface of my surreal mindscape was the old 1960s Speed Racer cartoons repeated on Cartoon Network. Well, my aunts in New Jersey, Stephany, Jeanne and Luanne are fond of Japanese pop culture. During a talk with one of them, Luanne, she and I talked of the possible personality of Speed Racer, summed up in five traits.

Whatever, I've been on a sleep-deprived plane of existence and is hoping to be pilled with my sedatives tomorrow night. (Long story short, I have to be careful with pharmacies)

In summation: I can go either way from seeing both Power Rangers and Super Sentai. Sure, Super Sentai is better at times because it shows the original story. But remember, American Super Sentai fans, without the Success of Power Rangers, you'd have no idea this existed.
To trolls: When I say "I WILL KILL YOU WITH ALL MY HOPES AND REGRETS", I mean, "You mess with any of us and the moderators will be called in." That's all I know.
To newbies: Welcome and watch for puns.
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

It is fun watching these older shows because it makes me realize how different Sentai was made back then. A lot has been said about using the footage of Bandora for Rita. I doubt it would be as easy today to use footage of, say, Basco, Enter, or Escape. There's just something different about villain interactions in today's shows. In Zyuranger and Dairanger it seems as if most villains who actually fought the sentai groups were costumed whereas Enter and Escape often fought unconstumed until the latter half of the series. I think this may be confirmed by their decision to hire their own actor to replace the human footage of Juzo when they adapted Shinkenger.

But keep in mind it was tough even back then to find someone to replace the Japanese actress. Most people forget, but MMPR actually hired a Lamie look a-like to play Scorpina in the second season of MMPR. She did look very close to Lamie, but she only made one appearance before the actress quit. They never bothered to try to find another actress or explain the disappearance of Scorpina.
friendlyquark wrote:What killed me though was the gender bending of making a male Sentai character over into a girl. They did that several times throughout the years and it always made me chortle.
I wonder if they'll try to make KyoryuGreen a female when they get around to adapting Kyoryuger.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I noticed the change in actresses, and also when they reused footage here and there, at times it didn't bother me, sometimes it did. I think they utilized Carla Perez at the start of season two when Lord Zedd came around and it was a mix of new footage and sentai stock footage, but never really showed her face until they did they magic makeover many many episodes later.

its a shame they didn't use the actress to play Scorpina more often than that one appearance, because Scorpina was my favorite villainess. I'm assuming that after being defeated again by the Rangers that she decided to quit working for Zedd and just strike out on her own.

Regarding when they adapt Kyoryu, I don't think they'll have to make any gender switches since the show itself does add another female character to the cast later on in the form of the second KyoryuViolet. after all, when they did Ninja Storm, they stuck with the one female Ranger quotient, ditto with Dino Thunder. I think they haven't done a gender switch for a while actually, I think because kids are getting a lot smarter and to try and pull something like this off in today's world would just be insulting.

If they get around to adapting Go-Busters, they could always try to hire people that resemble Enter and Escape, and dress them up in similar clothing for far away shots. they did that a few times with Masked Rider, by having Dex dress in similar clothes to Minami Kotaro for Kamen Rider Black RX.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Sexy_RoboVoice wrote:they could always try to hire people that resemble Enter and Escape,
Maybe for Enter but, Escape will never happen... they never used Zonette, Shiborena, Shelinda and (iirc, Disney covered up Vancuria's outfit) after all.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Lightspeed Rescue used the Vampire Bat female baddie, in Time Force they used Lila's character. The original MMPR did use Bandora and Lami scenes. I think with the ones you named, they were too provocative to translate to American properly.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
KR_Death
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger :3
Dreamy: omg shirtless daigo
Favorite Actor?: Yutaka Kobayashi
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: oranges
Quote: Ore Futatabi Sanjou!
Type: ESTJ Supervisor

Post by KR_Death »

I found out about how PR used unoriginal footage when I saw the black ranger's fingers. I searched it up a couple years later when I re-noticed it, and found Sentai.

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”