Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

ZyuRanger 08 released

Post by takenoko »

So I'm sure you've all seen the Power Rangers about the pig that eats the Ranger's weapon right? This is the original episode.

But do you remember a hippy gnome being in it?

And did you know that the monster is loosely based on Greek mythology? If you've ever read the Odyssey, then this story should sound familiar. Odysseus lands on an island, and his men get turned into pigs by the witch Kirke (latinized to Circes).
http://www.theoi.com/Titan/Kirke.html

Moly is even mentioned. Hey, this show is teaching you something about mythology! How about that?
"So spoke the Radiant One; then gave the magic herb, pulling it from the ground and showing me in what form it grew; its root was black, its flower milk-white. Its name among the gods is moly. For mortal men it is perilous to pluck it up, but for the gods all things are possible. "

Anyway, if you've never taken a class in Greek mythology, the k sound in Greek was usually converted to a c sound when it was latinized. Like how cyclops would be kyklops:
http://www.theoi.com/Gigante/GigantesKyklopes.html

Since Japanese is a phonetic language, they tend to use spellings and pronunciations closer to the original borrowed word than the English version. It's just something that comes up every once in a while, so I thought I'd explain that.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Re: ZyuRanger 08 released

Post by Slowking »

I think you forgot to include the episode discussion thread link on the main page, although it's not that difficult to discover really.

Greek being my first language, I can say you've explained the whole Kirke business really well.

To add something extra, Kirke is thought to be derived from either of two words: 1) death birds (one bird = "kirkos" - the birds are most likely falcons) 2) from the verb kirko, which could mean encircle or whirl around/hoop around --> hence why latin used this from greek and we have the word circus and its derivatives

As far as the episode is concerned, it was pretty fun (again, because of the villains and because of the reactions of the Zyuranger to what the villains did), without depriving you of some sense of adventure/excitement.

Thanks, keep it up!
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I was so excited about doing my etymology lesson that I totally forgot XD

Link added. Thanks!
Dark Shadow

Post by Dark Shadow »

There doesn't seem to be a splash screen for this episode. Was it left out? Or maybe it's on my end.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

No problem, language stuff like this excites me too!

Yeah the splash screen at the beginning is present, it's the Tigerranger one.
Behold the Emperor!
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

More interesting fact: Circe is really danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, notorious for just-ø ing his means.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I don't know if that family should be thanking Boi, in the end. If he hadn't have been randomly in that park, maybe they would have been spared an annoying pig monster harassing them for days.

And I hope Bandora learnt her lesson. Starvation diets are not the right way to do it. Smaller portions, more often, plus exercise. That's the way!
wizard
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by wizard »

*reads front page announcement*
Huh... the more you know. *shooting star*

Thank you for the hard work! It is greatly appreciated! :)
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

I liked this episode. Pudgy pig was one of my favorite monsters back at the day. Although they never used the megazord on it. It is really nice to see the original.

I can really appreciate how zyuranger keeps to the mythology that the monsters are based one. I am anxious to see the rest of the series. But I know I have to be patient until TN releases them. Sjees, I sound like a real fan boy. Get a grip on yourself Niek.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Another excellent release, one coming after another, sheer awesomeness! Please, keep 'em coming.

Oh, regarding the connection between the pig and Greek mythology, it would certainly explain why the big was wearing a Greek or Roman centurion's helmet.

thank you for the explanation about the moly too, it was very insightful. :)
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Niek wrote:I liked this episode. Pudgy pig was one of my favorite monsters back at the day. Although they never used the megazord on it. It is really nice to see the original.

I can really appreciate how zyuranger keeps to the mythology that the monsters are based one. I am anxious to see the rest of the series. But I know I have to be patient until TN releases them. Sjees, I sound like a real fan boy. Get a grip on yourself Niek.

the fact that they are releasing these at all is awesome. I'm pretty sure they take their time to work on a batch of episodes and once that batch is complete, they release the finished product over a succession of days, one right after the other, and then work another batch, and so on and so forth.

I give TVN credit, even with a whole crew working, it is still quite time consuming going through an episode, translating the language, timing the subtitles and hardcoding those subtitles to the episode itself.

But these guys go the extra mile and they make the subtitles come alive in a very cool way. Like making the subtitle for Dino-Buckler upside down, and then turn right side up in time to when the Rangers turn their Bucklers rightside up and activate them.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Is there any particular reason you're releasing these so quickly?

Not that I'm complaining or anything, it's just so strange that you've released three in the same week.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

we release in DVD batches, so 5 eps to a batch
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I like it how the guys are stuffing their faces and Mei is so....refined still.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Yeah. I never got why she did it perfectly. After they stop filming, they just spit it out. Just go to town with the food.

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”