HeartCatch Precure - Episode 09 Released

The cutestest anime ever subbed by a bunch of men.
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

HeartCatch Precure - Episode 09 Released

Post by Magenta »

HAHA, you weren't expecting a second one so quickly, were you?! No, I thought not! You have been caught unawares, and now you shall pay the price.

And that price is to watch...
HeartCatch Precure!
Episode 09: My father's been scouted! He'll quit being a florist!?
In which our old toku-drama show comes back to haunt us, we get to learn a new language courtesy of the Snackies, and I drosera'd your mom's obovata last night.

And she liked it.

Episode Notes:
  • Let's take a double dose of deserty sandy fun with this ep, as two things are named here for the first time. The first of these is the cannon fodder, the Snackies. Take has pointed out to me that these things are probably based on monkeys, which eluded me at first, but makes sense. As such, Snacky is probably a kana portmanteau of 'suna' - meaning sand - and the 'ki' of 'monkey' to make 'sunakki' - Snacky. I kind of toyed with the idea of maybe using Sunakey, but a combination of a) a feeling they kind of designed the portmanteau to be interpretted as 'Snacky', b) The fact it isn't quite a direct portmanteau - there's a double 'k' there, and c) general community concensus made me stick with Snacky.

Your votes count!

Except with this one. So, the villain. I have seen so many people calling him 'Sabaku' and I'm honestly not sure where this TREACHEROUS LIE started but it needs to stop, mmkay? It's true that his name is based on the word 'sabaku', meaning 'desert' - hence the Desert Apostles and... well, everything, really. However, in kana, his name is written with a long second a sound - as 'sabaaku'. Now, this clearly seperates it from the word it's based on, and there's a few ways you could choose to romanize this. Sabach, Sabark, Saback even. I'm using Sabark however for two reasons - one, it's the most pleasing to go with the pronounciation of the name. And two, it reminds me of the bark of a tree, which considering his goal and the general floral aesthetic of the show works kinda well, I think.

A few of the flowers mentioned in the botanical gardens do have nicer, more palatable names. The drosera is a type of sundew, the hypericum is often referred to as St. John's-wort, and the Acystopteris is quite wonderfully a 'bladderfern'. However, Obata is quite specific about the sub-genus of each plant, something which is pretty lacking from these common names. That, combined with Erika's reaction, made me think technical terms were probably the best thing. Also, it's kind of my revenge for not getting to use 'tweedia' in ep 4. Tee hee.

And the first person to point out how much the ED segment shows we're way behind on this show gets a frowny face D:
Anyway, enjoy the episode!
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Podima
Militant Deaf Viewer
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Your mother.

Re: HeartCatch Precure - Episode 09 Released

Post by Podima »

*Consensus, not concencus. Firefox has a goddamn spell checker.

Also, post that .gif in this thread. You know which one I'm talking about. The one we wanted to use as a splash.

In actual episode commentary, I really liked the scene where Tsubomi's parents realized how much they were neglecting their daughter. Just very well put together.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

You mean Image?
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Good thing that I'm not perverted enough to think that when I was watching the episode but I do agree with the scene of how Tsubomi's parents realized how lonely she was as she was hiding her loneliness from them.
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

It is weird how I only recently learned about that skin treatment Kobraja used. The treatment requires staying buried for 2 hours.

I loved Coffret and Chypre's little dramatization. It is still a little freaky when you think about those fairies "getting it on".

The attack they used to subdue the Desertrian was really suprising. The go through a lot of trouble doing fancy acrobatics only to pull a DBZ-style "talk to the hand" tactic.

I guess Grandma was the one who put the Heart Seed into the Heart Pot because Tsubomi and Erika weren't on the balcony. The girls were too busy talking to Tsubomi's parents.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Her hands are too wrinkly
Podima
Militant Deaf Viewer

Post by Podima »

Arigomi wrote:I guess Grandma was the one who put the Heart Seed into the Heart Pot because Tsubomi and Erika weren't on the balcony. The girls were too busy talking to Tsubomi's parents.
THEY USE RECYCLED FOOTAGE. IT IS A CHILDREN'S SHOW. THEIR PRODUCTION VALUES GO TOWARDS OVERBLOWN SPARKLY ATTACK MOVES.
Spoiler
(which you will see next episode JUST YOU WAIT DO HO HO)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

The poor transition ruins my suspension of disbelief! Am I supposed to think that grandma has the same hands as her 14 year old granddaughter?!
kaemmerite
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
My boom: JRPGs

Post by kaemmerite »

Magenta wrote:the cannon fodder, the Snackies.
Which, outside of the theme song, haven't been used as cannon fodder at all. Hoping that changes soon. I want to see them do cool stuff!

For some reason the line Tsubomi's father said about Obata being like a sunflower in springtime reminded me of Fat Abbot from South Park telling Rudy he was like school in the summertime...which is oddly fitting since they reference that in the Persona 4 Endurance Run on Giant Bomb, and the Desertarians remind me of the Shadows from that game.

My mind works in bizarre ways.
Podima
Militant Deaf Viewer

Post by Podima »

kaemmerite wrote:
Magenta wrote:the cannon fodder, the Snackies.
Which, outside of the theme song, haven't been used as cannon fodder at all. Hoping that changes soon. I want to see them do cool stuff!
DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Return to “HeartCatch Precure”