DaiMajin Kanon 1 Released

A modern day fable. Also, a joint project with Skewed-Studios!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

DaiMajin Kanon 1 Released

Post by XIII »

Today is a historic day for us, not only are we releasing the first episode of a new show, we are also embarking on a joint venture with Skewed Studios for this project, Skewed Studios are very good friends of ours and we have swapped staff here and there in the past, but this is the first time we have come together in a way to allow us to form a joint project to encompass the best of both worlds and styles of subbing from both sides, we hope that you enjoy the work that we achieve with this show, who knows, we may have more joint projects in the future.

So how does this differ from a regular style project from normal,

Well the Timing, Translation, Typesetting, Splashes and half encoding are handled by Skewed Staff
The QC, other half of encoding and distribution are handled by TV-Nihon staff,

Its a good mix of staff that will provide a huge impact on the project, even if it does look like names dont makes sense, but behind the scenes it all does make sense, its just one of those things that if you try to understand it will give you a headache.

Now with Skewed handling the Typesetting, we have something we have never done on a TV-Nihon release before, and that is Kanji subs for the karaokes, some may like it and some wont, its one of those things which we hope that you do like.

Also we have ending note splashs for extra information, these are done for Skewed releases to provide a little bit more information about the show to give you a little deeper insight, we hope that you enjoy them and learn something from them.

Other than that, it is a regular style project, XviD for the SD releases and h.264 for the HD releases.

So without further ado, we introduce you all to DaiMajin Kanon Episode 1.

44 years ago Daimajin was the hero of the baby boom generation and today many people still know that giant statue. The originally trilogy was set during the Warring States period of Japan. Daimajin is a giant statue of a god of war that comes to life when a prayer is sung and punishes the villians. The transformation from the gentle expression of the idol to that of a vengeful feudal warrior was all the craze among children in the 1960s. Nowadays you can still find Daimajin on pachinko machines and stuff like that.

This new series will play out in a modern era full of bad people. This time the heroine will be a college student called Kanon who keeps on singing prayers that will awaken the giant god of war.

The dorama isnt just another silly daikaiju (giant monster) series for children. The target audience is mature adult audience as it airs in a late night slot similar to that of Garo and Cutie Honey the Live.

You will recognise one person in this drama and that is Nagasawa Nao (Hurricaneger Blue), I know Ais and Sacred both went a little crazy when they found out she was in it, maybe you will as well.

We are introduced to Kanon and other key characters in this episode and some strange little creatures that make some very strange sounds, its quite interesting to listen to while timing it cause you think to yourself, is that actually dialog or just strange noises, who knows what it is really, maybe in time we will find out what they are on about.

Buchinko has one cool hiding spot, cant blame it either really XD

We get to hear the Prayer song a couple of times, I know Sacred will grow to hate it given how many times it is sung and the amount of times he will have to k-time it for the karaoke we have for the prayer song,

I have to say I have enjoyed working on the project as its a fun show, its not like your normal toku show, it is very drama like with not a lot of fighting, just good story line.

I also find the opening and ending songs enjoyable, nice and melodic

Well I hope you all enjoy this as much as the staff do.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DaiMajin Kanon 1 Released

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Azazel wrote:I also find the opening and ending songs enjoyable, nice and melodic.
I'll say what I've been saying about the OP song since I first heard it. It sounds like something you'd hear from the type of music Bette Midler or Cyndi Lauper sing and I love it.
Last edited by Go-On Macaroni on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Wall of text, Az :P

Anyway, I really like the feeling of Kanon. The scenery they choose for the country scenes are beautiful. You also get the sense that you're in Tokyo and that this isn't just some animeland full of cartoonish characters the way some of the kid's toku shows are. Like you know you're never going to get attacked by a kaijin, but some guy pushing a lady into traffic is like "oh shit, that can actually happen to you" that's real dread there

Haha, this show has a Kamen Rider

Man, they sure sexed up Nao

Kanon seemed cuter with long hair. Still not totally sure what's going on, but maybe that'll get explained in episode 2
Anime_freek22
Train man
Favorite series: GARO/Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Favorite Band: UVERworld
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: well dressed pickles
Quote: "You were right all along Finn. Now I'm going to cut out Bubblegum's heart, and make out with it."

Post by Anime_freek22 »

takenoko wrote: Man, they sure sexed up Nao
Is that bad?
I lost The Game!
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Post by SacredCultivator »

^Nopes, of course not. Just means more for Nao fans to look at =P

Well not just that, but it makes for a good companion for Bachinko.

I agree that Kanon looks cuter with longer hair, although the short hair isn't horrible on her.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Anime_freek22 wrote:
takenoko wrote: Man, they sure sexed up Nao
Is that bad?
I was just making a comment. It's not good or bad
Anime_freek22
Train man
Quote: "You were right all along Finn. Now I'm going to cut out Bubblegum's heart, and make out with it."

Post by Anime_freek22 »

It was a joke.

I like how Kanon looks. Regardless of hair length, but she looks better with the long hair. However, I was thrown off when I saw that she got a new hairstyle out of nowhere.

But you are right. She is sexed up. I definitely can't bring this into Japanese class. I noticed some sparkly make up on her breasts.

I like this series. It looks like lots of fun from this first episode. Looking forward to the rest.
I lost The Game!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Anime_freek22 wrote:But you are right. She is sexed up. I definitely can't bring this into Japanese class. I noticed some sparkly make up on her breasts.
Eh? That's a rather conservative thing to say considering it's not like it's overtly sexual. There's no nudity or implied sexual content or anything. The only reason it airs at night is probably because of the violent content
Anime_freek22
Train man

Post by Anime_freek22 »

It's like the fan service in a seinen manga. It happens to be in something that was designed for older men sue to violence and such. Since it's designed for older audiences, the fan service is more risque. I think that's the principle with Nao in this.
I lost The Game!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't know, I've only seen two episodes, but I don't think I'd give this series more than a PG-13. I mean, even PG-13 allows some nudity. It probably just seems like a big deal to you since you're 15, but some cleavage and skin is really nothing nowadays
Anime_freek22
Train man

Post by Anime_freek22 »

Nah, it's just the first time I've seen a good amount of fan service in a given drama, excluding Garo.
I lost The Game!
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

Ooh, Daimajin *and* Nao Nagasawa in one episode? ^.^
monritche
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club
Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: mouse-clicking

Post by monritche »

Very nice first episode. Excellent combi for the two fansub groups as well. Congratulations on your collab work.

Gotta love those translation overlay on those SMS messages.

Was actually surprised with the dreaming Kanon scene. I was watching it at work and realized Kanon's sweaty sleep acting seems to be NSFW. LOL.
Shrapnel
Infinity

Post by Shrapnel »

Whee, noticed something in the beginning. Doesn't the small girl remind you of Rika from W, Puppeteer episode? :3 It's probably not the same girl, but she looks like her, kinda. ^-^ Also, I like the kanji touches. Didn't notice it the first time, but later on I did.
Sho-saka
NagoSan
Favorite series: Zero Punctuation
Dreamy: You tell me...
Favorite Actor?: Sato Takeru-san
Favorite Band: Erm...any?
My boom: Away with the faerys

Post by Sho-saka »

Congrats on the collab project.

Now, as for the series. I really like the pacing and the gentle, whimsical, yet somehow spine-chilling atmosphere. Not to mention DaiMajin Kanon has a more folklore feel to it, as opposed to some Toku shows.

I think I got another series to look forward to.

Return to “DaiMajin Kanon”