Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Natsumi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: DragonRanger

Trying to be a Kamen fan...

Post by TheZen »

I'm a Garo and Super Sentai fan, but I'm a little picky about the series I watch (no to Goseiger, yes to Geki and Shin, etc). I figure Kamen Rider would be easy to get into, so last year I tried getting into Kamen Rider Decade. I felt out of the loop because of the whole switching thing, so I tried something older. I ended up getting something else (I can't remember now) and I really couldn't get into it. (Maybe it's the camera style...?)

I just watched two episodes of Agito and I'm still not feeling it. Am I watching the wrong series for a first-timer? Am I just looking for the right series to capture me? If so, what would you guys suggest? I'm posting in the OOO because I'm about to download that after watching the new Gokaiger.

I don't want to give up, I love the concept of henshin. I want to like Kamen Rider or at least, even if I hate all the rest, I can have a favorite series from it.
No nuts, no donuts.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Trying to be a Kamen fan...

Post by takenoko »

Kamen Rider's pretty good. All of them are watching at least to have seen them. Some of the best ones might build up slowly but will have the best payoffs later for it.

Maybe try out Ryuki, since that's what got me into the series. It's got the sexy action and interesting characters that will carry you through. W and OOO are probably good for modern Sentai fans. But since OOO is nearly complete, maybe just skip all that and wait for Fourze then retry OOO later when it's all done? Digging into a completed series certainly has its advantages.
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

I started with Kabuto. I really liked the sleek design of the costums. The different riders each having a pronounced defining characteristics. Although the series does need a dozen or so episodes to get going. Tendou seems like a real ass in the earlier episodes. But later he is one of the strongest riders I have seen, with a strong sense of what is right and wrong.

My favorite Kamen Rider series is Agito. A strong rider, compelling story and a great dynamic between the cast. Although it does require you to get through the first 15 episodes or so. After this the writing and story direction changes somewhat, which is for the better, makes it more intriguing and compelling to watch. It also has the best explanation why the main antagonist does not fight until the end of the series.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

Started out with Decade and then Hibiki which I couldn't really follow (was skipping most of the bad guy scene's because I didn't like the camera)

Kamen Rider is a bit more ''grown up'' (still children show) then sentai. You see allot more deaths for example mass murder at the end of Blade it also has allot more violent characters that just like to fight and you have much less ''teamwork'' BS (it has it but less then sentai)

I suggest watching Den-O, it may have really weird plot changes at the end but during the start it has some awesome scene's.
xshinox
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Boukengers
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Now, count up your sins!

Post by xshinox »

watching decade as a first series is the biggest mistake you can make. that's like watching the last harry potter movie. you won't know wtf is going on. you should definitely start on W as that is easy to get into and W is just plain cool. after that, you can move onto ooo if you want.
TheZen
Adventure

Post by TheZen »

So I've gotten Den-O, Ryuki, W, and Kabuto. I'm gonna try W first, the fusion thing looks cool, then I'll check the rest out. Thanks a bunch.

And yeah, I have had that feeling that it's a bit more mature than Super Sentai, but I like that.
No nuts, no donuts.
HyperDrake
Gabu
Favorite series: BLADE
2nd Favorite Series: KUUGA
Quote: "Rotten branches weaken even a great tree."

Post by HyperDrake »

I started KR with KR Black which was dubbed in my national language on one of my country's television channels. Missed a bit of the eps. back then. I was in my first or second year of primary school if my memory serves me right. Then, they continued with Black RX and then Super-1.
I've downloaded those shows in order to re-watch it again together with all the Heisei era Rider series.

My advice for you who has been contaminated yourself with Sentai, don't try Kuuga, Agito, Blade or any other Showa era riders as first try-outs. You should watch more colorful series such as W, OOO, or Kabuto in order for you to easily settle into the KR shows.

Oh, yeah, I don't recommend Den-O as a first try-out too unless you're one of those people who loves slapstick comedy a lot, coz I'm afraid it'll serve as a 'bad' impression for you to love the other Rider shows.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

HyperDrake wrote:You should watch more colorful series such as W, OOO, or Kabuto in order for you to easily settle into the KR shows.
Sadly, I can see the side-effect of that being a person who goes "Wahhh, where are the other riders?, I want flashy CGI-ness!!11!, why's the pacing so slow?" when they go back to watch the old stuff. Which isn't how they should react to it.

IMO, TheZen? I think you should check out ZO if you haven't. It's a really good movie that's not too long and has a lot of good fight scenes. I'm not sure where for you to go from there but, it's a neat start.
HyperDrake
Gabu

Post by HyperDrake »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:Sadly, I can see the side-effect of that being a person who goes "Wahhh, where are the other riders?, I want flashy CGI-ness!!11!, why's the pacing so slow?" when they go back to watch the old stuff. Which isn't how they should react to it.
>>> I think you've got a good point here. I'm just afraid that they won't continue watching kamen riders if they watch the old slow-pacing type of Rider shows (but usually accompanied with a deep storyline and more realistic feeling) as a starter/try-out. ZO is decent for a starting point and won't spend too much time since it's a movie.
TheZen
Adventure

Post by TheZen »

I'm torrenting ZO now, thanks.

I guess it is the slow start that's hurting my experience. Honestly, I'm not a hardcore Sentai fan. I didn't watch Deka or Gosei, and my friend practically bribed me to watch Bouken. They seemed too light for me to get into. I really appreciated Dairanger's darker story, and I think the older series had a lot of that compared to these last ones. I probably wouldn't watch Gokaiger if it weren't for the fact that they have the Sentai switching thing going for them.

I feel Kamen is definitely more mature, and if I could just get into one, then some of the others wouldn't seem so foreign and I can finally watch Decade. I wonder how awesome it'll be once I get the references...

Oh, uh, is Ryuki a decent start after ZO? I'm almost done with the first batch.

-EDIT: I'm enjoying W. I realized Ryuki was the one I first watched after trying Decade, and I think it was the camera style that turned me off initially. So now I've got a question: when did the camera style change?
No nuts, no donuts.
Sora124
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Blade/Kiva/Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O/Magi/Shinken
Dreamy: Eh?
Favorite Band: Sigur Ros
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Muzak

Post by Sora124 »

If you can trudge through the first arc of Blade, it gets all kinds of excellent. If you want a mature series, here you go.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

My first Rider series was *technically* "Saban's Masked Rider" that was a decent show when I was young, looking back, I just want to facepalm and kick myself. But the first SUBBED Rider series I watched was Kamen Rider Kabuto.

The idea of a "Masked" form and a "Rider" form was nice and Tendou pretty much carried the series with his thoughts he got from "Obaa-sama". And the additional Riders after Kabuto showed up helped keep the story interesting. *although for the life of me, I couldn't tell who was "TheBee" because I couldn't tell them apart, now I can tell people apart after watching a few series*

I'm also working on watching the other Heisei-era Riders because of Decade. I had watched Kabuto, Kiva and Den-O before, and actually liked "Kamen Rider Decade" because they did use 'alternate' worlds with characters of the same name and that worked for me. I mean Oops, almost went into a spoiler, but aside from that, Kamen Rider in general is decent. I've been working on "Kamen Rider Ryuki" for a while now because I keep getting distracted: anime, manga, video games, current toku-series, work, etc...

So, in my opinion, if you start with "Kamen Rider Kabuto" go to Kiva, then Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, and Fourze when it starts, you should be a fan. I'm not a hardcore fan, but I do enjoy watching them.

I will also agree the 'henshin' does keep me entertained.
TheZen
Adventure

Post by TheZen »

I'm already on episode 28 of W. I really like the half-boiled trying to be hard-boiled detective style. And I'm a big sucker for duos and teamwork, which is probably why I'm a Sentai fan in the first place. I don't mind lone Riders, but this definitely made the transition easier.

I never watched Saban's Masked Rider series. The first time I saw it was when they did the 2 episode crossover with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (I believe it was season 3). I wasn't really convinced on it, so when he did get his own series, I was too preoccupied with Big Bad Beetleborgs and VR Troopers (3 lone henshin heroes merged into one show, go figure) as my favorites during the Japanese importing of the 90s.

I'll check out Kabuto after I'm done with W. I think I'll work my way back a bit and find my favorites.

Though, I'm not exactly sure how a half-boiled detective turns into a Double Boiled Extreme...
No nuts, no donuts.
HyperDrake
Gabu

Post by HyperDrake »

Netto no Zen-Aki wrote:The idea of a "Masked" form and a "Rider" form was nice and Tendou pretty much carried the series with his thoughts he got from "Obaa-sama".
>>> You seem to respect Tendou's Grand Mother a lot since Tendou himself only use the honorific "san" instead of "sama". Well, some people have differing treatments toward their elders, so who am I to judge. Anyway, it's off topic so don't put attention over it.
RedDinoTF
Infinity
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: KR Decade
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Henshin!
Quote: Torigusa no Kamen Rider da, Oboetoke
Jigoku no soko made akuma to ainori shite kure

Post by RedDinoTF »

My friend(and roomate at the time) started watching Kamen rider with Kiva, I wasn,t into it so I didn,t watch it but Decade got my attention so I officially started with Decade, loved the arc about ryuki and Den-O so I got them, still watching them though(not a lot of times in my hands and I'm not halway through both). Then W came and I just loved it. Then when OOO started, I felt sad that W ended but I finally got myself into the series, now that OOO about to end, I feel sad again and I have high expectation when it comes to Fourze, even though I might end up being dissapointed.

But back on topic, start with W, it's a fun series, lots of humor(remind me of Geki for thwe humorness along iwth a bit of go-on). Decade can be fun, it's a fun way to be introduced to older character(I mean the Rider not the story-character) but if you watch Decade, don,t expect a lot, the series is good but not awesome, I mean, it's a bit repetitive and at the end you think something is missing but that's my humble opinion
Series completed: Dekaranger, magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-Buster, Kyoryuuger Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard Gaim
Series I'm watching: Garo, Toqger

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”