Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Re: OOO as a series as a whole (Spoilers)

Post by archer9234 »

Not really sure how to feel about the series as a whole. It did have its really great moments. Like kid Anhk almost killing Ankh. Gotou finally taking the Birth Belt. But each good moment got wasted. Ankh escaped kid ankh really fast. And Gotou was wasted because of the screwed up movie. Hina was a fun character. I really like how they played her torment with saving her brother, but at the same time trying to save Ankh. I guess I'm one of the few that wanted Hina's strength explained. It just some really basic thing that could of been answered by Chiyoko. But even her remark made it more of a "big" thing.

The greeds overall sucked. Besides the Kazari and Uva's betraying everything, the rest had nothing else to do. Unless they where needed for a plot point. Now cake boss. He was really cool. But after the anniversary episode, he started becoming a waste. We never saw him ever forcibly deal with Eiji/OOO's like he hinted to at the beginning. We didn't even see him take his cut of the medals.

Eiji himself was a perfect character. He had his weakness and strengths. He wasn't annoying like some past riders (Kabuto grandmother bitching, Kusaka being a total s**t towards everyone). I really liked that he was emotionally damaged just because he let that little girl die. In his eyes he failed her. Which is great. Instead of the usual stuff we would get with riders being tough and not caring.

For Ankh. He was the soul of the show. I would have to rate him as one of the best anti heroes in KR. Date, Gotou, and Satonaka all felt like a close family.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but on the topic of Kougami, I've seen it mentioned in at least one other place that It cannot be said due to the source not yet subbed.
Last edited by Phoenix512 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoilers
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

what i really liked about OOO is that it kinda brought back the feeling of the earlier heisei series... it was much more realistic and not that far-fetched as the most recent ones we got... plus it kinda broke the trend of stand alone bi-episodes and not always resolving on the 2 week life span of the monster/yummy....

what's nice also is that aside from being plot driven is how they worked the characters... sure there are still remnants of the almost-too-single-personality characters like cake boss and chiyoko but there's great character development on the main characters especially ankh, eiji, goto and date....

hope they continue this pace with fourze....
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think I have an idea about the significance of Hina. I think someone basically explained the Eiji side of it so I'll talk about Ankh. Hina basically should hate Ankh for taking over her brother's body but she develops feelings towards Ankh. So she basically is conflicted between Ankh who she wants him to leave her brother's body but at the same time knows he's vulnerable without using her brother's body and the welfare of her brother. In turn, Ankh was beginning to care about her as he was becoming more human at the end.

As for OOO overall, I enjoyed it for the most part as it always seemed that there's always something going on even though at times, there wasn't.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Conan_Edogawa wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but on the topic of Kougami, I've seen it mentioned in at least one other place that It cannot be said due to the source not yet subbed.
ack! sorry! orz i thought this was one of those "it's either a) a made up rumor or b) one of those things you have to go to the official website to see, like the names of the Yummies." didn't know it was from an actual thing, and i apologize if i spoiled for anyone.
DoubleExtreme
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Post by DoubleExtreme »

The thing i love the most about OOO is the song!! The song is great! Uplifting, catchy and great vocals.

I too felt that the ending could be better. I have no doubt that Ankh will be resurrected for the movie(s) later on.

I could live with Hina not being explained but Kougami had SO much potential. I was also one of those who kept waiting for something to happen with the Company, but there was nothing.

Not gonna repeat a lot of what has already been said.

Liked the show very much. The song is still humming in my head while i write this.
GraveZero
Infinity
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Blade
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang
My boom: Nexus

Post by GraveZero »

I sorta figured Kougami's goal was just to create an infinite power, through OOO, and as backup he has Birt. In fact, assuming OOO is in its own universe, and Kougami didn't use all his medal on Eiji he now has the ONLY superhuman device in the world under his control... oops.

Still got time for him to be the bad guy.

Overall, I think OOO was really awesome but suffered from the same flaws a lot of KR series have, that being some characters never recieve proper development (Kougami being one, and Satonaka another IMO). But yeah, it was cool. Bring on the Fourze.
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

As a whole, I think OOO was a solid show despite its flaws.

I'm under the impression that Kougami just wanted to force an evolution by using the Medals. Ambitious people like him can become restless once they achieve all their goals. He is probably obsessed with new beginnings (birthdays) because they offer new challenges with new goals to achieve. Evolution leads to new beginnings and the Medals can force an evolution.

The relationship between Eiji and Ankh was really interesting at the end though it took a long time to get there.

The Greeeds were often hit or miss with me. Only Ankh's other self left any lasting impression on me. For me, the good guys were the main attraction.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

While I did enjoy watching it, I didn't like it as much as W (I know, comparisons are bad etc).

To me, Eiji was kind of bland. Yeah he was a bum that had some traumatic experience, but we really didn't get development until the last few episodes where he actually started to show something other than just save people for the sake of it.

On the other hand, all the supporting characters were fantastic. Ankh, Date, Gotou, CakeBoss etc. Even if some of them were random, they really had the personality I couldn't get from Eiji. Oh, and I will miss Uva's voice actor/human actor. He had some of the greatest reaction faces since Kagami.

They tried to hard with the mix and match thing. I wasn't really surprised that they were really shoved in the back for the Combos, because the combos were pretty sweet. My gripe with GataKiriBa getting few appearances still stands, and while it might have been down to the CGI cost, surely better planning from whoever was in charge with coming up with the powers could have averted it.

Another issue I have is that the continuity doesn't fit nicely between the movie and the series (final judgement reserved for the move just released and then the summer movie). I mean, W made it work, and I thought it would be a new era were rider movie adventures could help flesh out some story. Unless the writers like giving Inoue something to do to keep himself busy every summer.

Also, what happened to that Gill/Giru thing from Core? I assumed they were foreshadowing the dinosaur Greeed, but he never rocked up. I fully expected him to Necron from Maki towards the end, but I guess there was really no point.

While I'm sad its over, like I am with most rider series, I'm not as sad as I was with W. Although with what looks like a bit of an unclosed ending, I expect something to get resolved in the summer movie, so I'll save final reservation until then.

Now, for next year, to space!
MaskedRideEclipse
Gabu
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hot? Errr, TaJaDoru?
Favorite Actor?: Yu Hasebe
Favorite Band: DREAM
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Gi-Gi-Giga Scan
Quote: At the signature>>>

Post by MaskedRideEclipse »

I've been doing some counting of OOO combination. You know, there are exactly 127 combination, including 8 combo, TaToBa, GataKiriBa, RaToraaTa, SaGouZo, TaJaDoru, ShaUTa, PuToTira and the
Spoiler
movie
combo and 8 foreign name, RAION(Lion), CHIITA(Cheetah), GORIRA(Gorilla), KONDORU(Condor), PUTERA(Ptera), TORIKERA(Tricera), TIRANO(Tyranno) and the
Spoiler
movie
medal.
-If all that I'd been said is a spoiler, then kindly delete them or put -snips-
'If you wishes to change the world, Then, you'll need to be stronger than the world itself, If you can, then, You're capables on changing the world.'
Philip Aldraine
Kamen Knight
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Koko kara wa ore no sutēji da!

Post by Philip Aldraine »

In my opinion, I thought OOO was a great series. I mean it's not that good compared to W, but it was great. You have a person named Eiji who travels and mistakenly becomes a Kamen Rider due to Ankh. It's a series involving hilarity between Ankh, Eiji, Hina, and Chiyoko-san and the plot is very strong in it. The entire thing was about the Greeeds trying to get their medals in the first place so they could devour the world.
Currently Watching: Ex-Aid, Kyuranger.

'Once you've seen the light, you can never go back to the darkness!'
escher911
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Battle Fever J
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Natsumikan
Favorite Actor?: Edward Norton
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Magic: the Gathering
Quote: Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you who you are.

Post by escher911 »

I felt that it was an excellent series, and enjoyed the Greeed especially as the villains. As opposed to W, where the Museum was often in the background, I liked how the Greeed actively fought against OOO's in nearly every episode (aside from just OOO's vs. Yummy of the week). Having them as an active villain instead of being in the shadows made the series "pop" for me unlike W (which was also great for its own style).

I'm intrigued at how Fourze is going to play out with its villains and (from previews) the possibility of more people involved in a Rider "Team" like back in the old days of the original and V3.

Back to lurking. :)
yumenotenshi07
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Dreamy: Yaguruma Sou
Favorite Actor?: Sato Tomohito

Post by yumenotenshi07 »

I pretty much agree with what has already been said here. I was a little stunned when I realized that there was only one episode left, rather than 2, especially when I had been thinking that it would be a challenge for them to wrap everything up in two episodes. It was like all of a sudden all of these threads had to be tied up, and some of them got tossed by the wayside in the rush.

I waited 48 episodes to find out why Hina was super strong, or at least for them to do something with it, but there was nothing. Why? I finally REALLY like a female character in kamen rider, and they do nothing with her, even though she had so much potential. :( By the end I would have just been happy for an explanation, but we didn't even get that much....

I kept expecting there to be some twist with Kougami... like for him to be evil or something. But in the end, he was just this weird guy who really likes to bake birthday cakes. Sure, why not?

Over all I liked it as a show, but it definitely had its weak points, and some things I would have liked to see handled differently. I guess it's doomed to be second to Kabuto as my favorite kamen rider. :lol:

Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Therm_Kitty »

I thought Cakeboss' motivation was really clear. It's actually the most obvious out of the entire cast. He's a capitalist. He loves desire, creation and people doing what they want to do. He awoke mummy-Ankh for the sole purpose of creating a new life. He only allowed the Birth system to be used by someone with a good desire. His goal was to breed more desire. In doing so, humanity would grow to fulfill that greed. He only objects once the threats of a berserk Greeed and the Purple Cores emerge, because both would stop people from realizing their desires. In fact, he directly said that he was opposed to Eiji using the Purple Cores to destroy other Cores because he wanted their desire to continue existing. To that end, he gave all of his Cells and the original TaToBa to Eiji so that he wouldn't need to break Uva.

Hina's strength was definitely a plotline lost in the shift. But that same shift gave us Date for more than 2 episodes, so it's a fair trade. I assume they'd have tied in Core pre-shift, but that movie was so bad that it's not a loss at all.

Speaking of him, Date Akira is one of the greatest secondary Riders in recent memory. I did like Accel, but I didn't like Diend, Nago/Ixa, Zeronos or Gatack. Seriously, I can see why they kept him past his original arc. He has this great charisma, team spirit, a good personality and a character arc that only makes him horrible once: and the payoff from that is worth it!

I was surprised at the number of non-Japanese in the series. At some points, I completely forgot that this was a Toei series. The warzone scenes had to have been location-shooting.
tedrules516
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by tedrules516 »

I thought OOO was a pretty weak show, and lost a lot of interest as it went on. Besides the plot flaws already mentioned, I have these complaints:
1) too much focus on medals being traded back and forth, not enough focus on making the characters three dimensional. Despite the focus on having many medals, too many of the multi-color forms were redundant in capabilities or the differences were not well shown in the fights.
2) awful battles. I can understand that Eiji is not a trained fighter, but seeing him get his ass handed to him constantly gets boring fast. At the beginning of the show, Eiji somewhat held his own, and using a combo was an instant-win, making the enemies seem a bit too easy. Then, all throughout the middle to the end of the series, the fights all followed one basic pattern: 1) battle begins, Eiji is doing fairly well, 2) commercial break!, 3) suddenly Eiji is getting his ass kicked.

@atilim
Yeah, you're counting wrong. 5 heads * 5 bodies * 5 legs is "only" 125 combinations. Just a math nitpick, even if you don't care. :wink:

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”