Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Let's Go Kamen Rider released

Post by takenoko »

The movie was kind of all over the place, but overall I kind of liked it. It's pretty damn dark if you think about it. The Shocker taking over the world and making this sort of apocalyptic present day. Plus where else can you see a crucifixion in a kid's movie? Kamen Rider are usually so much more powerful than their enemies that there's never any real tension, so it's pretty good that they somehow made them the underdogs in this.

It kind of goes off the rails quite often though. Having kid actors is always kind of iffy. There's kind of a lot of shit that's not needed. Like the heroes that weren't Riders showing up was really pointless. The secondary Riders showing up was cool, till you realized they were probably just statues. Even the main Riders showing up was kind of annoying since they only got a few seconds each. And finally, the end twist is kind of messed up in a lot of ways. It also seems kind of weird that it doesn't seem like they will fix the timelines. Guess this is an obviously non-canon movie.

But the guest appearances by Philip and Shoutarou were great. I also liked how you expected King Dark to be the last boss yet again, but they actually had someone else. And I guess the Riders riding their bikes was cool (although the forming the 40 was kinda lame).

Overall, it was a pretty exciting movie. There's really no Kamen Rider movie without its flaws, but except for some long fight scenes, I think they did a pretty good job at being entertaining.

Edit:
Also, why does Naoki have memories from before he was born? Is it because he ends up living their in the future and thus has access to all incarnations of himself? I guess that means he's a special point too?

Trivia:
Tamashii or Damashii/Damacy = 魂 Spirit/Soul
Rider Spirits!

Ore sanjou = "Here I am!" or "I have arrived!"
Ore futatabi sanjou, the futatabi just means "again" in this case

If you don't know what cockscomb means, Momo is referring to Ankh's hairdo and is making a joke that reflects on him being the bird Greeed. In a sense he's making fun of Ankh by comparing his head to a bird's. Cockscomb literally refers to the comb on a cock/rooster's head which is sort of what Ankh's hair is like, but not exactly since actual cockscomb hairdos are more spiky.

Bonus, the menu from the Blu-ray:
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Let's Go Kamen Rider released

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think in the end for me that I did enjoy the movie that the flaws I'm about to point out didn't ruin the movie. For one, the Shocker kaijin costumes are extremely outdated. I can understand the Showa Kamen Rider costumes can get away with it (even though Ichigou and Nigou could receive an update for being around 40 years) but the Shocker kaijin costumes could use an updated look. What about Ankh being able to pull out a Core Medal from Momotaros? Never explain.

I really love the scene when the crowd began chanting every Showa Kamen Rider name as they appear. Too bad that every Rider after RX didn't get the same crowd chanting. That 40 in the All Rider Break was cheesy but using it in the effect was too much to resist. The non-Riders appearing are from Shotaro Ishinomori as well and I guess they wanted to commemorate him by adding them to the movie.

Does anyone else find it weird that Mitsuru reacting the way he did when he found out that Naoki is his father? I would so freak out to find out my childhood friend is my father.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Post by SacredCultivator »

This was a mixed bag... But i did like how they did the different Time Periods to try and connect things.

Especially with Eiji / Hina-chan, Iwas like hmmm, that's pretty neat.

Lots of flaws but in the end still entertaining. No lie, the "40" formation was cheesy but they gotta show it somehow I guess.

Funny scene at 1:09:50, notice there's a Hand raised, sort to the right of Owner's Left Ear (a little below) someone is early on their cue to cheer ^_^
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

At least the 40 wasn't shoved down our throats compared to the 1000 in episodes 27 and 28 of OOO. The 40 will probably be shoved down our throats in one of the Fourze movies.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Generally speaking, I enjoyed this movie. It’s called OOO-Den-O-All Riders and, for the most part, it lives up to its name. By that, I mean that OOO, Den-O and the Double Riders get roughly equal screen time and heroic moments. Compared to Climax Deka or Onigashima Battleship, where Kiva and Decade only get a few minutes of screen time despite being billed in the movie title, it’s incredibly well balanced.

My biggest complaint (and it’s a doozy) is that the resolution of the time-traveling in this movie really makes my head hurt. As convoluted as Den-O’s time travel plots got during the series and the various movies, I’ve always been able to figure out how the timeline works (a) within the movie’s plot and (b) how it connects to the larger Den-O timeline. But this movie - I can’t even come close to figuring it out. I just keep going around in circles.

Overthought timeline ponderings where I started to ramble:
Spoiler
Timeline 1 - The “normal” timeline. Naoki is destined to travel into the past and get stuck in 1971 because his younger self has memories from 40 years ago. Ankh and Eiji don’t board DenLiner (or don’t get off DenLiner) because Shocker doesn’t get the cell medal and, thus, Shocker Greeed is never created. All Rider series proceed as viewers know them.
Timeline 2 - The timeline Eiji and Ankh are dumped into. Shocker Greeed created after Ankh loses one cell medal in 1971. Double Riders defeated by Shocker Greeed and are brainwashed. No Riders after the Double Riders exist. Naoki was not taken to the past, so the Double Riders continue to work for Shocker. However, Mitsuru’s dad is a scientist that was taken by Shocker.
Timeline 3 - The timeline Koutarou creates by destroying the cell medal that Ankh lost. Black Shogun still gets a cell medal because Ankh loses multiple cell medals after the first is recovered. Naoki taken to the past, where he gets stranded. Double Riders work with Den-O (and Momo) to try and defeat the Great Leader, but Shocker Greeed is created. Teddy gravely injured while stuck in 1971. Double Riders eventually defeated and brainwashed. DenLiner destroyed. As an adult, Shocker scientist Naoki undoes the brainwashing on the Double Riders. Unclear if any Riders after Double Riders exist.
Timeline 4 - The timeline at the end of the movie. Potentially a combination of the other timelines. Naoki from present day was stranded in 1971 and grew up from that point in time to become a scientist. People remember Riders (more than just the Double Riders) as allies of justice. DenLiner is fine, and drops off a perfectly healthy Teddy in the present day.

Really, the only way I can make sense of the timeline is if we call Owner the ultimate singular point. We already know from the Yuuto-disappears arc in Den-O that timeline changes don’t affect Owner, so it stands to reason that he is a singular point, and he probably has been around to see all of Rider history. Between that and his memory of other people’s memories of the original timeline, it might be possible for one of the alternate timelines until the timeline where all the Riders existed and were heroes (Timeline 1) snaps back into place. Therefore, the reason we get the execution scene in the square is because the ripple from the timeline change from 1971 hasn’t caught up to the present day.

At least, I hope that’s what happened. The alternative, based on the dialogue at around 1:03:15 is that the Double Riders were playing along with Shocker for 40 years while it took over the world...which doesn’t exactly scream “ally of justice”. And none of it explains why Naoki remembers Timelines 2-4, unless Timeline 1 didn’t snap back into place.

One last timeline nitpick that's simple compared to the above: Koutarou’s explanation on why Eiji remembers the “normal” timeline is necessary, but still doesn’t quite fit Den-O logic. Although it does fit post-Decade Den-O logic, where all Riders seem to be immune to timeline changes. It also doesn’t necessarily explain why Ankh remembers the normal timeline, since even the Imagin who bonded to Ryoutarou were affected when the timeline changed from Yuuto’s temporary disappearance. Maybe being more like objects than humans gives the Greeed some level of immunity?

Enough critiquing. Some things I enjoyed:
-Hi again, Mole Imagin. Have they beaten the Riotroopers as most mass-produced enemies yet? And did they always have different colored coats?
-I love Teddy. A walking Kamen Rider encyclopedia - with demonstrations! But I lied - one more minor nitpick. Teddy’s explanation of an Imagin makes it seem like they’re following Den-O rules... but was that kid really a contract holder? It looked like the Mole Imagin just randomly jump into him.
-Evidently Shocker can take over the world, but Ankh’s iPhone still allows him to connect and research on the internet.
-I’m seeing shades of Gokaiger, what with the heroes fooling one pickpocket technique only to get taken in by another. It was nice to see the kids later repeat their hand-off trick against Shocker in the crowd.
-Cheers to Nokko for displaying a surprising amount of common sense - faced with a blonde-haired guy, two monsters, and a disembodied arm - she flees and calls for help! Granted it was only other kids, but it was still backup.
-I can appreciate the fake-out Black Shogun pulled, but how did he create an identical Cell Medal less than a minute after he saw it for the first time?
-I’m kind of surprised that Ankh didn’t flee when Momo possessed Shingo’s body.
-Owner’s appearance in the crowd, while unexplained, is pretty cool. I like to imagine that since Owner was still in the crowd, it was Naomi that drove DenLiner straight into Black Shogun.
-Oh Shin, as violent as ever.
-Looks like a lot of care was taken to make sure the Riders were facing off against notable enemies from their respective series.
-I enjoyed the (presumably unintentional) irony of Kabuto being the last one to join the All Rider line-up.
-Not sure if it was intentional or not, but it looks like something/someone flies away from the explosion of Rock Great Leader. Probably just debris, but who knows.
-What Rider had the really big bike with five jets on the back?

I understand the thought behind the appearance of the non-Rider heroes, but it felt very random to have them show up. Disrupted the energy that was building from all of the Riders gathering, too. And as much as I love W, having Shoutarou and Philip show up just to Henshin and throw out their catchphrases also caused a hiccup in the Rider intros.

Even though this movie was longer than the theatrical cut of any other Rider movie I can think of, I hope that there will eventually be a DC released. Some of the scene cuts felt very abrupt, and I’m hoping it was because they had too much footage to use. Some clarification on the timeline issues would be appreciated too.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

PHurricane wrote:-What Rider had the really big bike with five jets on the back?
I thought it was W's bike connected to the other vehicle with the different bike attachments.

The time paradox stuff made my head hurt. Overall you can see what they wanted to do with this movie but it wasn't executed as cleanly as I'm used to. It's a fun, cheesy movie as long as you don't try to think too much about it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Heh, sounds like Primer. PHurricane actually caught a few discrepancies that bothered me while watching the movie, but I didn't think to write down. I know it's been a few years, but it's the little changes in continuity that are the most maddening.

I also kind of wish Naoki became his own grandfather. "Naoki, you fool! You've become your own grandfather!" I mean, does it really make less sense than him becoming the father of his childhood friend in the alternate Shocker-ruled timeline?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

My first reaction when seeing a monster suit should not be "oh no not you fuckers again". Ichigou and Nigou look like someone spray painted styrofoam and glued it onto their chests. WTF was Terror just kinda doing chilling with the Shockers? Guess they give good dental.

Ankh as Momo was pretty ridiculous. Why was Momo an arm? Was there any point to that? Ah well, don't care, W cameo squee oh wait it's over already.

Oh, hi metal heroes. Fancy meeting you here since your series was cancelled over 10 years ago. Are they trying to drum up kid interest so they can bring them back?

I would be waaaaaaay more freaked out if I found out my childhood friend was my father. Lots and lots of therapy would be needed.
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Hey, give 'em a break on the costumes. 40 years ago there wasn't sleek gizmos and product placement to carry a manborg through his fights. He had to be bulky as hell with a giant freaky head to freak out his enemies/give his loved ones mixed feelings!

I liked this movie, meaning everything that didn't make sense is an obvious metaphor that only I can fully appreciate. See, the shocker medal was Mechagodzilla, the Den-o medal was the little Godzilla in all of us, Decade was the American Godzilla that nobody likes, the coffee girl was Don Frye, Bazooka Turtle was Jesus, the lot being crucified were Godzilla's illegitimate children, the boy who got old was Robin Williams, and the rest should be obvious. Except for why Zubat said Zubatto finish. But I won't question that so much as you lot didn't stick by "prepare to receive 40 years of our feelings!" C'mon, that comes off so much manlier...
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I love the movie but... flying motorcycles?? :O
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Nice distopia.

Shooting kids and using them as hostages? Hardcore.

Yes, Eiji, ask the kids to stand up against kaijin and men with guns...

Glad to see owner is creepy as always.

I guess any kind of person in any kind of bike is enough to deal with the Shocker foot soldiers... Lame having them being beaten by the kids.

What is this, inception? A plan within a plan... Nice shocker. But how the hell could Black create a fake during the fight. He shouldn't know how a Cell looked like before that. And what was the point in having Black dress as the leader if the leader was going to show up later?

Hmm shocker can conquer the wolrd, but they can't deal with kids behind a wall...

What? A cross like that doesn't work, Shocker. They could've done a better job crucifying the characters.

Nice evil laughter, Ichigo and Niigo!

Shota and Phil's cameo was nice. And i relly liked seeing the real Den-O. They really ditched Ryoutarou and made Momo be Den-O. Funny how they had to use shadowmoon, since Decade has no kaijin of his own.

LOL. So you need a hawk greed, an imagin and a shocker to create a rider soul? Ahnd you know what? Shocker legs were very cool.

So Mitsuru, feeling like Jonh Connor?

The initial plot was good. Ankh messes with the timeline and Shocker wins. But as usual, they threw away continuity to bring all riders from the ether. And in the end, Ankh and Eiji were left in the timeline in which Shocker had won... Lots and lots of holes.

The kids as resistance members and the cheering part were also lame, since shocker should've been able to terminate them all.

In the end it was just ok. A lot of fan service. I just wanted to see more of the imagin...
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Thank you TV-Nihon for a good subbing on a practically ......... movie. I can't say much when I'm watching this since I'm busy headbanging my head to the wall.

Guess Decade's syndrome has glued itself to Kamen Rider history. WTH?
Silent_X
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Silent_X »

I think the logic for this movie is that Kamen Riders are too awesome to be erased from history.
Also, after you have served your time as a Rider you become part of the Aggregate-God of Time/Space and Justice.

As for the timeline stuff:
I think the "original" timeline(or something close enough to it) was in the process of being repaired during the crucifixion/giant fight scene.
Lunagel wrote:
Oh, hi metal heroes. Fancy meeting you here since your series was cancelled over 10 years ago. Are they trying to drum up kid interest so they can bring them back?
Those were not Metal Heroes.
PHurricane wrote: -What Rider had the really big bike with five jets on the back?
The bike was a Jet Sliger, and it was probably Delta riding it.

edit: You can tell it's not W because he's/they're riding the HardBoiler right in front of it.
I may be lying
Disclaimer: I do not endorse HeadOn; it is barely anything more than a stick of wax. I am simply using it as a Transformers joke.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Silent_X wrote:
Lunagel wrote:Oh, hi metal heroes. Fancy meeting you here since your series was cancelled over 10 years ago. Are they trying to drum up kid interest so they can bring them back?
Those were not Metal Heroes.
Whoops ignore me, I'm showing my ignorance of Showa toku shows again. /me goes to eat glue in a corner
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Lunagel wrote:
Whoops ignore me, I'm showing my ignorance of Showa toku shows again. /me goes to eat glue in a corner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmbvl2WzUk

:)
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”