evel333
7X
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: INTP Architect

Re: Gokai 40 released

Post by evel333 »

I was hoping they'd use the original roll call from the movie, with the different poses (esp GokaiRed) and the team "collar tug." I enjoyed that brief but touching epilogue.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

An in canon explanation for cameo movie appearance pulled off well is what has me gob smacked.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Catastrophe wrote:An in canon explanation for cameo movie appearance pulled off well is what has me gob smacked.
I know right? And all it took, was time travel... And to think usually time travel makes more plot holes than they fill.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Also, loving Gai with the whole 'Time Up' thing. I like Domon the most when he says it.
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

Nice to see the tie in with Goseiger VS Shinkenger. It makes their appearance more then just an advertisement cameo in that movie.

Was that Gingaman's Grand Power, when Gai used BullBlack's key?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

It was nice seeing the Gokai Shooting Star finisher. I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't effective and Gold Mode had to be used.

Gai got some nice character development though the lesson he taught the kid was felt bittersweet.

Having Metal Alice as part of the episode was a nice way to explain why the Goseigers initially had trouble damaging Zan KT-0.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Did Gai forget that he has superpowers in that first scene? If he was worried about someone or something dangerous being in the cockpit of Gozyujin, why didn't he heshin first? Or at least grab a weapon, there's no shortage on board...

But then, we wouldn't see him unhenshined in the cockpit, which was interesting.

I guess Gai's knowledge of Super Sentai isn't perfect, since he didn't recognize the Time Emblem. I don't think this was a case of him forgetting (like he seemed to with "AbaPink", I think he probably knew of her but forgot about her, because he seemed to remember later), since the Time Emblem is a pretty prominent piece of the Timerangers' arsenal. It could be that only some of this stuff is common knowledge in the Gokaiger universe, and that there was really no way for Gai to have recognized it.
Phoenix512 wrote:I really wish that they had the part where the Gokaigers tell DaiGoyou not to mention them since it makes more sense to have it in there.
I hadn't thought of that... I suppose it still could have happened off-screen, in between the time they waste Shitari and they catch up with Gai. It could have happened while the camera was focused on Gai and Mirai.

At least they bothered to explain why Gai wasn't with them in the movie.
Go-On Macaroni wrote: Negakure
> Gakure
> Kakure

:)
Zveirn wrote:
Spoiler
The pot inside, most likely, is the pot that holds Ninjaman from Kakuranger (aka Ninjor in MMPR). Someone made the comparison, and it looks similar enough. So Domon is probably talking about the Kakuranger grand power. Possible Kakuranger tribute episode, maybe?
Spoiler
I REALLY hope so. You guys are probably right, that does look like Ninjaman's jar, and the name thing makes sense.

*Fingers crossed for Kane Kosugi* I think there's a lot of potential there for an epic spaz attack from Gai/reaction from the sentai veteran (because of the language barrier, but Jiraiya might know more Japanese now), and I just like him, but they really can't go wrong with any of those characters. I could see them getting Hiroshi Tsuchida (Saizou/NinjaBlue) instead, since he's still pretty active in show business.

I'm stoked about Kakuranger, because it's one of my favorites, but I'm not gonna lie: I'd really rather see a Zyuranger tribute. They've already done Timeranger and Abaranger, so it seems only fair that they make tribute to the third facet of Gai's mech. But we've already hit episode 40, and the next one doesn't look like it's a tribute to anything. We're quickly running out of time. :(
Silent_X
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Silent_X »

Kogashi wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:An in canon explanation for cameo movie appearance pulled off well is what has me gob smacked.
I know right? And all it took, was time travel... And to think usually time travel makes more plot holes than they fill.
Only thing that would have made it better would be if they also explained how the Goseigers showed up in the Shinkenger vs Go-onger movie.
TBustah! wrote:But we've already hit episode 40, and the next one doesn't look like it's a tribute to anything. We're quickly running out of time. :(
Maybe we could get a V-cinema, or multiple V-cinemas, for the tributes they can't fit in the series?
(With appearances from GokaiFire!)
I may be lying
Disclaimer: I do not endorse HeadOn; it is barely anything more than a stick of wax. I am simply using it as a Transformers joke.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Since this is about the time in the series that we get references to the summer movie (whether it be the enemy fought, a special power-up, or a new mecha combination), taking a trip back to the Goseiger/Shinkenger VS movie was a meaningful way to continue that tradition while linking the cameo appearance to the main series.

I wonder if there is a quota on the number of times the insert songs have to play during the course of the series. If you count the Timeranger theme, there were four different insert songs featured in this episode. Fun to hear them, but I was surprised so many were used.

Nice homage to the first episode of Timeranger. I had forgotten that Tatsuya was the only one to get hit by the attack.

Not sure why, but Ahim’s “They’re jumping” line cracked me up. I think it’s because the jumping over the camera shot is such a staple of sentai, and it came close to breaking the fourth wall for her to remark on it.

Hey! We got to see Gingaman’s Grand Power after all. Guess there’s hope we’ll see MegaRanger's before all things are said and done too.

Despite all of the foreshadowing (and in hindsight, there was a lot), I was not expecting to see Moriyama Honami at the end of the episode. And Domon’s reaction to the picture was beautiful. I’m glad they didn’t give him much dialogue to deliver after he takes a good look at who is in the picture because his body language conveyed far more than mere words could.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Can someone keep me up to date of how come Domon's wife and kid is in the past while Domon is in the future? Haven't watched Timeranger yet.
TBustah! wrote:Did Gai forget that he has superpowers in that first scene? If he was worried about someone or something dangerous being in the cockpit of Gozyujin, why didn't he heshin first? Or at least grab a weapon, there's no shortage on board...

But then, we wouldn't see him unhenshined in the cockpit, which was interesting.

I guess Gai's knowledge of Super Sentai isn't perfect, since he didn't recognize the Time Emblem. I don't think this was a case of him forgetting (like he seemed to with "AbaPink", I think he probably knew of her but forgot about her, because he seemed to remember later), since the Time Emblem is a pretty prominent piece of the Timerangers' arsenal. It could be that only some of this stuff is common knowledge in the Gokaiger universe, and that there was really no way for Gai to have recognized it.
Maybe his knowledge about Super Sentai is only from the Monster's Victim point of view. Unlike us, who had knowledge about everything due to watching it from every POV, Gai's limited to his observation of the heroes by himself. he doesn't recognise Bomper right? eventhough Bomper is practically Go-Onger's navigation robot. makes sense since Bomper rarely joins in the fight with Go-Onger

In Timeranger's case, maybe Gai is too young to remember about the Time Emblem, but still recognizes Timeranger.
gyozilla
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: WShinken555RyukiKuga
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O, Kikaider
My boom: erang

Post by gyozilla »

I liked that it wasn't just a regular tribute with references to one series; it tied together multiple ones and really showed it's all one big continuous family series and teams are looking out for each other. And then even sets up the plot point for the next tribute, no less. Makes it feel like the writers knew from the beginning that the TimeRanger tribute would have to tie in stuff from other sentai.

It's also pretty cool since Domon's descendants might exist in his own time.
Silent_X
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Silent_X »

gyozilla wrote: It's also pretty cool since Domon's descendants might exist in his own time.
Also that's kind of creepy.
I know if I ever time travel I'm going to try my best to avoid bumping uglies with anyone.
I may be lying
Disclaimer: I do not endorse HeadOn; it is barely anything more than a stick of wax. I am simply using it as a Transformers joke.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I liked that they finally gave us an explanation on the Gokaiger's cameo appearance in the Goseiger/Shinkenger movie. It all makes sense as to why they already had those Ranger Keys. Nice touch and this is indeed one of the best explanations for a cameo appearance I have ever seen. I haven't seen Timeranger besides the eps that are being subbed by the folks here at TV-Nihon so I didn't get a lot of the references. But I though the ending was very nice and very heartwarming. Finally we got to Gai use Gingaman's Grand Powers too. I think I'm going to miss this team when the series ends.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

Silent_X wrote:Only thing that would have made it better would be if they also explained how the Goseigers showed up in the Shinkenger vs Go-onger movie.
No need. Goseiger was established as already active before the start of their series. We just join them when they first meet Nozomu.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

toni2212 wrote:Can someone keep me up to date of how come Domon's wife and kid is in the past while Domon is in the future? Haven't watched Timeranger yet.
Timeranger spoiler:
Spoiler
She's not his wife. She's a girl he fell in love with in 2000. Got her pregnant, but went back to the year 3000 without knowing that.
Last edited by Lunagel on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”