Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: SS: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Neutral

Re: Gokai 42 released

Post by Barim »

TBustah! wrote:
dancercotillion wrote:Because it's awesome and they don't have the same phobic reverance for those symbols the west does.
For one thing, it's not like Christ was the only person to ever be crucified. The Roman Empire did it to hundreds, if not thousands, of people. Jesus was just the most famous.
Staurus should be translated as pole, not as cross.

Jesus supposedly being crucified on an actual cross is an invention of the medieval/renaissance period.

Anyway, it is just an effective way to put the "villains" on full display.

For the rest, I really like where the series is going. Damarasu has been handled decently so far and I bet the resolve of Don's arc will be hilarious.
Spoiler
Once the Heron to set his path,
Twice the Heron to name him true,
Once the Dragon for remembrance lost,
Twice the Dragon for the price he must pay.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

takenoko wrote:You're a girly cartoon
Your face is a girly cartoon!

It doesn't have to be a religious image. Look, you want to hoist someone up high infront of millions to see. Make sure their arms are bound in a way you can see them. Easy. This is going to be a public execution. It has to be showy.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

The Japanese have been hoisting people up on crucifixes in children's shows for years. It really is just a "this looks awesome" thing and I think the two series doing this right now is largely a result of callbacks to their roots, when this stuff was way more prominant. Same with the great leader of Shocker being a Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. It looks cool, the actual symbolism is largely immaterial. We'll never see the Care Bears thrown onto crosses in a public arena to humilate them before their execution, though. We just don't do thoroughly amazing things like that here, to my deep shame.

Since Japan's in a population decline, there's now room for white dudes like me who appreciate the finer points of beating Sailor Jupiter half to death and stringing her up on giant crosses alongside Ultraman and Ankh.
TBustah! wrote:And another thing... Christians don't seem to object to crucifixion when it's used in a way symbolic of Christ in our own media (like Narnia). As long as it's used in a tasteful, non-blasphemous way (as it usually is), why should we object to it in secular media? It's a double standard.
Nothing symbolic about Narnia. Aslan is the Lord, full stop. Get in the car, Jesus Christ is a lion.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

I want to apologize for opening a can of worms. Let's get back on topic.

Damarasu basically owning Basco and Sally was a nice touch. If memory serves, he back-slapped the monkey while keeping his eyes on Basco.

Also, the running joke of Damarasu not caring for Don's WANTED poster was still subtle.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Barim wrote: Staurus should be translated as pole, not as cross.

Jesus supposedly being crucified on an actual cross is an invention of the medieval/renaissance period.
Semantics. Regardless if it was on a pole, a cross, or one of those bears carved out of a log with a chainsaw, they crucified a lot of people. That's all I was saying.

I never actually said anything about a cross... but I'll admit, I never knew about this pole thing. I'll have to look into that.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

That's the first time I can remember an insert song kicking off an episode. Neat to have another multi-level battle.

It felt a little strange to me that Ahim didn't know how Doc joined the team, but on second thought it's seems like they have an unspoken "the past stays in the past" rule.

As is pretty standard for this series, I enjoyed the care put into the set dressings. I'm really curious what planet they got the take-out pizza boxes from in the flashback, but the thing that really had me cracking up is the towel hanging in the messy living quarters in the flashback that clearly reads “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”. They may be pirates, but they're brand-savvy.

Speaking of the flashback, I would love to see the conversation between the Galleon crew that led to Luka being sent out to solicit Doc’s assistance. I don't see her dressing and acting like that unless there's bribery, blackmail or both involved.

Back in the present day, Marvelous questioning if Doc's birthmark was always there was a great line. I don't think we've ever seen Doc’s upper left arm before.

I would really like to see Gai's Shooting Star attack succeed against an opponent. It only worked, what, once in the entire series?
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Wait a second. Weren't they on another planet when Don showed up. I'm surprised other planets would have pizza done in Italian colors and boxes done the same way as earth's.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

PHurricane wrote:I would really like to see Gai's Shooting Star attack succeed against an opponent. It only worked, what, once in the entire series?
It's worked the minimum number of times required for it to count as a Worf Barrage.
DREWdesu
7X

Post by DREWdesu »

A Great episode, this really shows the chemistry of the Gokaigers with every person having a specific quality to the team.
Marvelous - although hot-headed at times he is a great leader.
Joe - A great second in command and is persistent
Luka - Brings hope for her world and the team.
Don - Neat, a great cook, a great repairman
Ahim - The heart of the team
Gai - The one who can help others with the knowledge he knows

Basco and Damaras's fight was awesome. I also believe Basco has a hidden agenda, maybe the reason he didn't want to destroy the Gokaigers was because he's a double agent... he's probably the Snape of the series.

The last part was great, Don always relied on everyone in terms on combat but now he is isolated, defenseless and scared... I think Jan needs to come back and help him xD.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

So we finally get some back story on Doc. Certainly interesting that he just happens to pop up in a magazine, though I get the feeling that this is going to end in them realizing this is just some movie promotion and the mag just decided to use Doc's image from his wanted poster. Nice seeing Luka actually wear a dress and try to use feminine charm it to get Doc to fix the ship.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”