Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger the Movie released

Post by takenoko »

So another fun 20-30 minute bare bones, action-filled movie. As usual, not much story and not much sixth ranger. Doesn't seem like it makes sense for Gai to be gone for this one, but oh well. Time and money constraints. And there kind of really was no story. The Shinkenger movie was 20 minutes, but at least we had some stuff going on with the first ShinkenRed and the mystery and stuff.

I mean, they introduce stuff and don't really explain them. Why the three singing ghosts? Who were they? Where did the cool looking, caped Gokai-Ou come from?

Nitpicks aside, it was a pretty good brainless action movie. The alternate universe was perfectly done. We got to see a bunch of old small fish, some guest heroes and villains from Sentai past. Surprise G3 Princess guest stars! And the last fight between Marvelous and Los Dark was awesome. And the fight between Gokai-Ou and cool, evil Gokai-Ou was also really good, despite being CGI fappery.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Gokaiger the Movie released

Post by Lunagel »

It's the 3D movie drinking game! Take a shot every time there's an obvious leap-out gimmick that looks totally stupid in 2D!

I see Gai is Sir Not Appearing in this Film.

Wow, 3:18 I can totally see Joe's hair extensions.

Waruzu Giru! You and all of Zangyack are totally useless in this movie! Horray!

At 6 minutes in Ahim and Luka make out in the crow's nest. It totally happened.

Sooooo was there any point to those ghosts? Anything? Just random CGI flash? ...seems a waste of budget on something that could've probably been done by Navi or an overly excitable dog.
EDIT:
Okay, take and I had a late night wikipedia session where we looked up the voice actors for the three ghosts, who are Sasaki Isao, Horie Mitsuko and Matsubara Tsuyoshi, the first two being the singers of "Susume Goranger!" and the last being the singer of the Gokai theme song. So singer cameos, which is kinda cool, but I wish they had less annoying/useless parts.

I did like the combined small fry monster, that was actually pretty cool, design-wise. The fighting in this was actually really excellent, even the CGI stuff. The ending robo battle looks like it was taken shot for shot from the 3rd PoC movie though. It's funny because they're pirates pirating a Pirate movie!

Overall, pretty decent for a 30 minute sentai movie. I've definitely seen worse.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

The biggest thing this movie suffers from is a complete disconnect to the rest of the series. Unlike 199 Heroes, which had events that were later referenced in the series, and past summer movies, which were referenced (however briefly) in their respective series, it’s entirely possible to ignore this movie and not miss out on anything. Plus, the split between Gai’s part of the movie and the rest of the team’s is probably the most awkward I can think of in a sentai movie. I think the filming schedule for sentai is odd in that the summer movie usually ends up being one of the first thing the new team member films even though audiences see their debut episode before the movie airs. But having no interaction between Gai and the rest of the team until the very end...it just didn’t flow well.

That’s not to say it’s a bad movie. The foot soldier fusion monster was interesting, GokaiRed’s fight against the ghost monster was chock-full of piratey fun, and the two versions of Gokai-Ou fighting each other was visually entertaining.

Zangyack missing the jump onto the ghost ship was very random, but funny.

One thing that stuck out to me - not only was there no special song composed for the summer movie, but they didn’t play the normal opening or ending theme sequence either. I miss my music.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

The action was very well done and loved the combined small fry monster. The extra guy seems like has been getting the shaft lately in the summer movies but at least Gai got more screen-time compared to GoseiKnight in the Goseiger summer movie. As for PHurricane's comment about the disconnect with the rest of the series, I think it has to do with the lack of new power appearing. The Gokaigers didn't get anything new in the movie so there was really no direct way to connect the movie with the rest of the series.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

It seemed sufficiently entertaining for a filler movie. I enjoyed the action scenes here more than the important battles of the main show.

If the ghosts weren't important to the plot, why was so much effort put into advertising them on the promos? The G3 Princess cameo had more significance to the plot despite being completely random.

When Insaan and Barizorg fell, I was expecting to see Zangyack to at least try to save them. They had the means to do it. In one of the early episodes, the heads of the Goumin were stuck to giant electromagnets and dropped to the surface from a much lower altitude. If this movie takes place in an alternate universe, then Insaan and Barizorg probably fell to their deaths.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, cartoon physics apply here.

Luna actually found out why the ghosts were here. Two of them are singers who sang for GoRanger (Sasaki Iwao I think and someone lady). The third guy was a part of that Ultraman group and he sang some stuff, was it the Gokaiger opening? So they're musical Sentai guests.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Can someone explain why does Gai is being left out from the movie's adventures? Yeah, he does appear at the first, but that's all.

Any way, still another shot of Gokaigers. Seems like only yesterday that their finale appears. Sob, I miss them already.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Like many have said, this was a decent movie. Story was kinda off, but sentai has seen a lot worse. I think many are simply disappointed (or just surprised) that there was no grand power used in the movie (unless you count that Gokai Blast&slash Featuring Goranger).

San-nii Obake Baka, although just cameo's, were kinda a fun addition. G3 princess caught me way off guard (I honestly thought at first they were just stand-ins or something)

Time For: DID YOU NOTICE THIS?

During the fight with Ghost Gokai-ou (fake sounds so lame) you will see Our Gokai-ou using one sword:
Spoiler

However, just seconds before they clash, Gokai-Ou is dual wielding:
Spoiler

It's always fun to notice the small things.

Overall, it wasn't a bad movie. It suffers from (like many others) Ninja Assassin Syndrome (good action, bad story).
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

Did anyone else notice when they were sucked through the skull mouth the arena where they faced the mooks (I recognised several but less than half) is the same temple they used for the subspace realm in the Gekiranger v Go-onger movie?

Though given that they barely used the suit and relied mostly on CGI, makes me wonder why they even bothered making a suit for the fake Gokai-oh. Would have been nice to see GoJyuRex/Jin to get a similar treatment. Does make me wonder if one day we might eventually see the suits vanish completely, at least for the mecha.
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

toni2212 wrote:Can someone explain why does Gai is being left out from the movie's adventures? Yeah, he does appear at the first, but that's all.
If I recall, the sixth rangers tend not to show up much in the past summer movies either. Hey, time is a premium after all.

Versus Gavan is coming out this month too. Crazy!
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Thanks take, it just seems weird that Gai is jogging alone and not mopping/cooking at Galleon. Maybe Gai's appearance in the movie is a last minute decision after all.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

I see it this way, this was just after Gai joins the crew, and Gai was finishing some business before moving to the ship. Meanwhile, the gokaigers were just following a possible clue given by Gai or just exploring, that's why Gai needed to send them a photo.
anyway, the lack of plot here doesn't mind me...because you don't need it! it's a ghost ship filled with the ghosts of previous villains! you don't need a plot whatsoever, you just need the gokaigers to get inside it and your job is done! Btw, i loved the mecha battle at the end, it's so strange to see the mechas having these kind of battles in sentai, which is a shame, because i'm a fan of the mecha gnere.
on the other hand, it is me or casper had more convicing effects than the three singer ghosts?
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Agree with everyone. The movie was pointless. But it had the junk minion fight. It was nice to see all of them. G3 princess was so super random. Without their show outfits. I barely recognized who was who. The 3 ghost were really pointless though. Gai being kicked out of the film. BAD.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Knight of L-sama wrote:Though given that they barely used the suit and relied mostly on CGI, makes me wonder why they even bothered making a suit for the fake Gokai-oh.
They didn't really make a suit at all. DarkGokaiOh is literally the same suit with a few extra pieces clipped on. I'd have to go through the fight again, but I'm positive the two full suits never appeared in the same shot together. You see things like a foot and a hand here and there, but the two mecha in the same shot is always CGI.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

I liked how Agent Abrera returned in this movie. Makes me want to watch Dekaranger all over again. Anyway, the movie was decent but I wished that more legends would return for this. It would've been interesting if a few legends regained some of their power to take on the spirit of the dead villians with the Gokaiger, meh.

Also, it appears that the writers gave the first few minutes of the movie with Gai talking to himself and showing off since they planned to kick him out of the plot. So much for being in the silver spotlight. :P

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”