Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Is Navi from Gokaiger a boy or a girl?

Post by takenoko »

I think he's a boy since he uses "oira" to refer to himself. There's probably even less evidence either way than for Luckyuro, but I might as well might a poll about it.

One counter argument could be that he's voiced by Tamura Yukari, who is very much a girly girl.
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Re: Is Navi from Gokaiger a boy or a girl?

Post by Sauce »

This one is a lot more ambiguous than Luckyuro, and probably intentionally. It's a robot bird and it I'm not sure gender was applicable. The female VA is easily justified by the bird just having a shrill annoying bird voice.
Merisusa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: PGSM / Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze / Gokaiger
Dreamy: Nephrite / Yumeria
Favorite Actor?: Masato Wada
Favorite Band: Yuzu / Daft Punk
My boom: Gekiga
Quote: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

Post by Merisusa »

Again like Luckyuro, I always saw Navi as wholly androgynous. This is partially out of habit, I tend to always identify robotic characters as androgynous ever since I was a child.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I'm going with neither on the grounds that a robot can't be male or female, only made to represent a male or female. Also Navi is a bird of some sort, so who cares. The voice and the way the character acts would tend toward a male interpretation. I'm not familiar with whatever bird Navi is supposed to be, so I don't know if it resembles the male or female of the species at all.
ja450n
Favorite series: Kamen Raidā Dikeido
2nd Favorite Series: Majirenjā

Post by ja450n »

I always thought Navi was genderless. When you posted the poll I was actually curious about the pronouns Navi used, but sadly didn't pay close enough attention when watching through the series. :(

About the pronoun, is 'oira' just a male pronoun? (not that i don't trust you, i'm just curious and checked wikipedia which says it's similar to 'ore' but used by both male and female).

As for Luckyuro, I swear I saw a few episodes that subbed female pronouns, which shocked me as for some reason I assumed Luckyuro was male.

Oh, and female voice actors voice A LOT of very obviously male characters, so I don't think the gender of the voice actor would really count.
AxemYellow wrote:I'm not familiar with whatever bird Navi is supposed to be, so I don't know if it resembles the male or female of the species at all.
This is a really interesting point. Since it's pirate themed, Navi is obviously a parrot of some type. Most stereotypical pirates are seen with Macaws.

Interestingly enough in real life, parrots are very hard to determine the sex of, often requiring a surgical procedure to be 100% sure. One type of parrot though, the Electus Parrot, does have a sex differing coloration, but IMO is smaller than what Navi appears to be. If Navi was an Electus Parrot though, they'd be female as females are dark red and males are green.

However just based on size, and what you always see with pirates, Navi's probably a Macaw, which sadly doesn't help determine their sex/gender.
Last edited by Lunagel on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Oira's pretty male, I've never heard a female use it in any series I've watched, but there could be something I've never seen.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Like Luna said, Oira is primarily used for males as it's a corruption of Ore, I think? And from what I've seen, they're mostly used by boys or young men. But like Boku, I think I've seen some girls use it in anime.

Oh:
Oira (おいら) is an alternate form of ore which was more widely used back in the Edo period. It was apparently used even by some women in the late-Edo period.

Today, this word has a youthful and male feeling to it (because of it’s youthful nature, it is rarely written in its kanji form: 己等), and is the I-word of choice for… housepets! (as spoken through their owners, of course…) Try a quick google image search for this word, it will bring up many pictures of Japanese peoples’ pets.

From: http://nihonshock.com/2009/11/the-many-ways-to-say-i/
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

takenoko wrote:I think he's a boy since he uses "oira" to refer to himself. There's probably even less evidence either way than for Luckyuro, but I might as well might a poll about it.

One counter argument could be that he's voiced by Tamura Yukari, who is very much a girly girl.
Son Goku from dragonball series was also voiced by a girl/woman so this part of the argument is nil :P for my part i guess i always thought Navi was a boy. I don't have a base for it however it just felt like that.
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

I would say Navi is a boy because I acts like everyone's annoying little brother.
ja450n
Favorite series: Kamen Raidā Dikeido
2nd Favorite Series: Majirenjā

Post by ja450n »

takenoko wrote:Today, this word has a youthful and male feeling to it (because of it’s youthful nature, it is rarely written in its kanji form: 己等), and is the I-word of choice for… housepets! (as spoken through their owners, of course…) Try a quick google image search for this word, it will bring up many pictures of Japanese peoples’ pets.
serious question... does this mean most Japanese people see their pets as young males? Regardless of the pets gender? Maybe the pet angle is why Navi uses it, regardless of their gender?
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

It's very, clearly neither. It's a robot in the shape of a parrot... Though if I had to give genderless life forms genders based on their sense of self identity with Navi, I gotta lean towards Navi being female actually, mainly cause of the voice which I know is not a deciding factor with well anything.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>serious question... does this mean most Japanese people see their pets as young males? Regardless of the pets gender? Maybe the pet angle is why Navi uses it, regardless of their gender?

I dunno, that was just a copy-paste from that link. But I'm assuming that in that case, it's merely ascribing the childlike nature of oira to the pet (like Navi?!) for the sake of making it cuter.

And I don't know if I entirely agree that the gender doesn't matter. Yeah, he is a robot parrot that is more of a mascot than a main character. But still, gender identity is an important part of understanding a character. Like if the robot were a sexy lady robot or if it were Data from Star Trek, the gender absolutely matters. Thinking that Navi as male affects my perception of him as being kind of being a bit bratty and smart alecky. If I saw him as female, my preconceptions would probably change a bit.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

takenoko wrote:And I don't know if I entirely agree that the gender doesn't matter. Yeah, he is a robot parrot that is more of a mascot than a main character. But still, gender identity is an important part of understanding a character. Like if the robot were a sexy lady robot or if it were Data from Star Trek, the gender absolutely matters. Thinking that Navi as male affects my perception of him as being kind of being a bit bratty and smart alecky. If I saw him as female, my preconceptions would probably change a bit.
I notice that I often feel that way too. Does that make both of us sexist?
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Sexist no. But it means your views of things outside the scope of common human norms might be perceived differently into a way that fits better to the human nature and norms...

No that's not a bad thing.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Everyone relies on stereotypes sometimes, it's how we compartmentalize and figure out the world around us. Sometimes it's just a struggle to overcome those preconceptions. Having something as male/female just helps narrow down the field. Also a big reason why transgenders and transsexuals get so much hate since they don't fit into either category perfectly, but let's not get into that conversation here, save it for Tumblr.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”