My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 01 released

Post by takenoko »

/me has flash backs to the Rider War

it even looks like the battleground is the same space

LOL at the box of Sentai figures

Man, blue reminds me of BoukenBlack. Marvelous... his smile... I think he can be a fun red to watch, but he needs to be more smug and have the skill to back it. Kabuto wouldn't be fun to watch if Tendou weren't great at everything

Oh wow, early mecha battle. This is pretty well animated

A ship with horses. Why not?

Didn't really care for the kicking around of the CGI ball. It looked really fake, unfortunately. It was cool to see them transform into the Shinkengers though

Overall it has a lot of potential. I'm hoping for more than just a "here's these guys dressed in old Sentai uniforms" as for as the nostalgia factor is concerned. I wonder if there'll be a twist of some kind in concerns with these guys' backgrounds
Draiken
Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Magic: The Gathering

Re: Gokaiger 01 released

Post by Draiken »

Looks like the series will be a lot of fun. Awesome CGI mecha battle in the beginning, wanting revenge over curry rice, the acrobatics and action fights... Oh, and the Goumin are a much of magnetic-metal heads. That's pretty cool too. lol

Awesome opening too with the mass fight between the Zangyack and the previous 34 Super Sentai teams. Kinda makes me wonder how the keys work.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It looks to me like they spent a lot of time getting the details right for this, right down to the mechanical parrot and the flashing XXXV in the henshin sequence. The characterization so far is excellent, and I find myself oddly amused by Pink just because of how rude she can be while being so polite.

The switching from male to female suits is almost hilarious, especially seeing MagiBlue turning into a large buff guy. I'm really thrilled that Seki Tomokazu is doing the narration and belt sounds, since he's one of my favorite voice actors. I can't wait for the next episode!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

So I thought a little bit more about why the teachers giving exposition bugged me. In a lot of ways, I was wondering why this episode didn't excite me the way Decade's first episode did. They certainly do a lot of similar things, but Decade was just a lot more interesting to watch

In a lot of ways, it has a lot of pacing issues. Like when the bad guys have the guns to the teacher, the pirates are just standing around talking... There's some tension, but it's kind of artificial since you know that they're going to go in and beat up the bad guys anyway. Just standing around talking deflates the scene of any sense that there's any consequence to it. It's just kind of like, stop wasting time with the unnecessary conversation and pretend like this is a dire situation of some sort and get into action

Then there's the scene when they transform into the GoRangers. In Decade, the situation is already more exciting with them running away from countless enemies with Natsumi and going between worlds. Then he transforms into a totally different Rider and it's kind of a big deal, but we don't just sit around admiring it, he's got bad guys to kill. In Gokaiger, they transform and do their pose, fine, it's a Sentai trope. But then we have to go to the kid asking the teacher who they are and her explaining it to the kid and us the audience. That really deflates the scene of any energy it could have had

The forced exposition just takes you out of the world. Imagine how much cooler the first change would have been if the kid asked the Gokaigers "Hey, you guys changed into a different team, what was that?" and they replied "Can't you tell? We've become the very first Super Sentai, the GoRangers!"
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Lunagel wrote:The characterization so far is excellent, and I find myself oddly amused by Pink just because of how rude she can be while being so polite.
I'm not surprised since the Japanese have perfected the art of passive-aggressive conversation.

I like how you can immediately identify their basic personalities right from the first episode. It can be frustrating when the personalities of the characters are nebulous and end up being upstaged by the plot.
takenoko wrote:The forced exposition just takes you out of the world. Imagine how much cooler the first change would have been if the kid asked the Gokaigers "Hey, you guys changed into a different team, what was that?" and they replied "Can't you tell? We've become the very first Super Sentai, the GoRangers!"
It didn't bother me as much. I just laughed it off as a cheesy fourth wall joke for older viewers. Gokaiger doesn't seem to take itself too seriously, hence the lapses in dramatic tension and their hilarious introduction to Earth. Decade was intended as a very intense and dramatic story. Whether or not Decade achieved this is up for debate.

It was a little jarring for me to see Joe's hair. I guess I've grown accustomed to seeing Japanese guys in these shows with poofy hair due to the amount of hair products they use.

In the grand tradition of Super Sentai, there were a few things that will never be explained.
-GokaiGreen's "self-inflicted TSA pat down" roll call pose was so weird. Normally it is one of the female members that has an odd roll call pose.
-Amidst the rubble of the buildings, a trapeze makes a perfect vantage point from which to shoot Goumin.
Draiken
Faiz
My boom: Magic: The Gathering

Post by Draiken »

Looked through the episode again at when they first encountered the space army and showed the group's individual bounties.

Of the visible posters and a little bit of assumption:
Marvelous: 1,500,000
Luka: 300,000
Don: 100

Almost reminds me of One Piece and how Chopper's bounty is also incredibly low in comparison to the rest of the group. Poor, poor guys...
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It didn't mind the exposition being from them. The teacher reminded me of that one guy in Mebius who knew about all the previous Ultramen and kaijin. I think it would more forced if the Gokaigers stop in mid-battle to say that they became the GoRangers. Also I think they don't necessary know about the powers they have.

I think Gokaiger will be a good series. The switching of weapons with each other is an awesome thing. I guess Toei can't break the gender on the suits. So we learned that you don't mess with Marvelous's curry or you will get your ass kicked hard.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

I think it works with Mebius because the guy yells as Mebius and lectures him on it, plus we know his backstory with him looking up to Ultraman as a kid. So there's some history there that makes that exposition a little less hit-you-over-the-head with it. With the teachers, it's weird because why are they doing the explanation? Does everyone in this continuity know about Super Sentai? I guess the kids don't, you'd think they'd be the first ones to know this sort of thing
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I am very satisfied with the first episode. It did a lot of things very well, starting with the quick glimpse at how the past 34 series fit into this series. It's bound to be fleshed out a lot more over the course of this series, of course, but it was enough to get the audience's feet wet. The comparisons to the Rider War are inevitable, but that's the break of having two anniversary series so close to one another.

As for our current heroes-slash-scoundrels, the first episode did a fantastic job of establishing each character's personality. I immediately know what role each of the characters plays in the team dynamic, and I really like them. Their personalities are pretty stereotypical at first glimpse, but so far the actors and actresses are making those stereotypes feel like they have a lot of depth.

We haven't had a full mecha battle in the first episode for a few years now, let alone a battle in space, have we? That sequence was really impressive. The CG reminded me of a Rescue Force/Fire type battle. I really enjoyed it.

The battle on the ground was even more impressive. The way they exchanged their weapons was really entertaining. Seeing them change into past teams was definitely cool, but their attitude is pretty intriguing. I wonder if they understand the history of the powers they're using.

Nice balance of drama and humor so far, even with the villains. I know it's just the first episode, but I'm optimistic that it's going to be both well-written and performed well. The attention to detail, whether it's references to past seasons or the intricacy of fight choreography, has impressed me.

Finally, the music. I love the opening and ending theme sequences. The beat of the opening theme is almost too mellow, but the visuals that accompany it are stunning. The ending theme...it definitely makes me "want to sing so I better remember them". I can't wait to see what visual and lyrical gags they come up with for the rest of the teams.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

I'll say it again on this forum, the men are actually Red, Blue, and Yellow, the chics are actually Pink and Green.

This series looks like is going to be a lot of fun. How they started it is a bit ackward but that is fine with me. it was still cool and we did not have to weigh threw so much filler episode to get to the good parts.
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

takenoko wrote:Does everyone in this continuity know about Super Sentai? I guess the kids don't, you'd think they'd be the first ones to know this sort of thing
I don't remember how specific they were with how far into the future this series takes place after all 34 previous teams sacrifice themselves for the greater good. Maybe the teachers know about it and the kids don't because the teachers were actually kids when the 34 teams banded together to stop Zangyaku the first time. I mean space travel does take quite a long time
The Sentai Ranger
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinken Go-On
2nd Favorite Series: Deka Magi Geki
Dreamy: Natsuki Mamiya
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
My boom: your face! *zing*
Quote: "My drill shall pierce the heavens!"

Post by The Sentai Ranger »

Ahh Rider Ranger War, this is all too familiar.
Like people have said, from first impressions you can really tell the character traits from the team already:
The serious Blue, rough & tough Yellow, worrying Green, elegant Pink, and the "do whatever he wants" Red leader.
I think that the team has yet to learn about their past heroes of justice, as they see the ranger keys as just "powers".
Overall this series shows great potential, just please don't fall into the same hole that a certain "magenta" man did!
35 Years of Colorful justice!
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I'm only just downloading the episode now, so i'll make a proper post after i watch, but i thought it might be fun to start some speculation:

1) what do you tthink will happen to green and pink when they get around to turning into Sun Vulcan, which only had 3 members?

2) regardless of whether it's pink or green who becomes Abare Black (i would assume green, but given the team colors, it's possible pink will become Go-On Black), do you think one of them will become Abare Killer, or would they not become him since he was pretty much a bad guy most of the time?
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Sorry, forgot to tell you all to stop releasing things. See, my computer's broken, can't really do much watching 'till the new one comes in.

...So, yeah. You can stop now. Come back in a week or two.
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

takenoko wrote:I think it works with Mebius because the guy yells as Mebius and lectures him on it, plus we know his backstory with him looking up to Ultraman as a kid. So there's some history there that makes that exposition a little less hit-you-over-the-head with it. With the teachers, it's weird because why are they doing the explanation? Does everyone in this continuity know about Super Sentai? I guess the kids don't, you'd think they'd be the first ones to know this sort of thing
This show makes it seem like the Super Sentai teams were gone for quiet a while. So much so that small children don't look into them much. It's sorta like expecting little kids to know about a war long long ago. The children at that age probably just don't think about it too much.
Anyways the first episode was great. It had a lot of old school sentai references. They even got the goranger ball attack right.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”