Favorite series: Den-o/DekaRanger
2nd Favorite Series: MagiRanger/Kiva
Dreamy: MagiBlue
Favorite Band: AKFG
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Rider Belts

Re: Gokaiger 02 released

Post by DekaPrime »

Catastrophe wrote:Old fashioned behind the screen ass kicking. Why I love Hurricanger.

And that chest cannon finisher, overkill much?

Loved it as well. . . . .but what does "Kaze no Mai" mean.
And before I get hit i'm understand that a lot of folks just like to bash TVN for not translateing stuff. I'm in no way trying to do that I love the sub. However . . . .since you guys haven't gotten to ( or won't get to, that's up to you) Hurricenger, I have no idea what the name of that attack is.

please don't hit me
*ducks*
Don't hotlink your avatar

Jesus Saves
Cthulhu Eats
Choose Wisely :twisted:

Spoiler
Made You Look
Pyche
Gao
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Onger
My boom: sonic
Instagram: @pyche_art

Post by Pyche »

DekaPrime wrote:. . . .but what does "Kaze no Mai" mean.
Hmm... using naruto as a reference.... Dance of the wind?
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

Can I ask - why is Gokai-Ou spelled with "Ou", instead of "Oh". Doesn't the robot have the same character "ー" at the end of it's name like, for example, Shinken-Oh?

I guess it can be translated both ways. Is "Ou" just more pirety? Or is it making up for loosing the "U" in spelling the main title?

I'm just curious, is all.
mindwarp
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Den-O, Drive, GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Shinken, Gaim, Magi
Dreamy: U-Ryoutarou
Favorite Actor?: Satoh Takeru
Favorite Band: Loreena McKennit
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: the pretty
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by mindwarp »

DekaPrime wrote:Loved it as well. . . . .but what does "Kaze no Mai" mean.
And before I get hit i'm understand that a lot of folks just like to bash TVN for not translateing stuff. I'm in no way trying to do that I love the sub. However . . . .since you guys haven't gotten to ( or won't get to, that's up to you) Hurricenger, I have no idea what the name of that attack is.
I just checked Skewed's version of Hurricaneger 1 to confirm it (and that Skewed's version has been discussed on the Other Heroes | Super Sentai part of the forum, since I know normally that it is taboo to mention other groups, but I thought I remembered TV-N plugging it before), and "Kage no Mai" is "Shadow Dance" (sorry for the correction here - I did doublecheck Gokai 2 to be sure of the name). I also love that zeldAis is letting TV-N use the Hurricaneger font for the attacks (yes, I did notice the credit, and the acknowledgment of the past typesetters' work! The mix of the show-specific fonts for the special attacks works really well for me.).

That said, I'm completely loving Gokaiger so far. I do feel bad for Don, both because he's constantly whacked by everyone, and because he's the geek of the group. It is funny - people keep getting Doctor Who vibes from him, and having been on a classic Who binge lately thanks to work finally getting in some, I have to say that his outfit and his attitude reminds me the most of Patrick Troughton. If he ever tells someone, "Now, when I say run, run!", we'll know. :lol:

I'm also psyched for the return of a grown-up Kai (and glad that his hair looks better than at the end of Magi :lol: ). It will be interesting to see how he's matured, and exactly why he's shown up.
DekaPrime
Adventure

Post by DekaPrime »

oh ok so "Kage" not "Kaze"

/facepalm. . .I should have be able to figure that out didn't they call Takeru "Kage(something)" in Shinkenger, and thus kept calling him a shadow of Kaoru.

thanks for the info

Jesus Saves
Cthulhu Eats

Spoiler
Made You Look
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh and Ou are basically the same thing. People are just more familiar with Oh because of Yu-Gi-Oh, but either are fine and represent the same thing. Ou is just more in line with how we usually romanize those sounds

QC mentioned that, and I gave them a pretty flippant response. But basically, I don't feel like we need a translator note for everything that comes out. People who've seen Skewed's Hurricanger will know the meaning from their translator notes, or they'll see it in wiki, or some of them will just remember the words from Shinkenger's blah blah no mai attacks. (Kagemusha is what you were thinking of, it means "shadow warrior"). When those people put that knowledge together and figure it out on their own, I'll bet they feel pretty good about themselves, and who am I to take that away from them?
DekaPrime
Adventure

Post by DekaPrime »

takenoko wrote: QC mentioned that, and I gave them a pretty flippant response. But basically, I don't feel like we need a translator note for everything that comes out. People who've seen Skewed's Hurricanger will know the meaning from their translator notes, or they'll see it in wiki, or some of them will just remember the words from Shinkenger's blah blah no mai attacks. (Kagemusha is what you were thinking of, it means "shadow warrior"). When those people put that knowledge together and figure it out on their own, I'll bet they feel pretty good about themselves, and who am I to take that away from them?
I'm pretty sure this is gonna get the Banhammer swung at me as you seem to be pretty up tight about people being critical of you Takenoko but I've got to say it anyway.

That answer is BS. Look I'm usually one of the first guys to jump to the defense of TVN on /m/ when people start bitching about the -tachi and -chan- and ~mou bullcrap. If you guys want to spice the subbs with a little Japanese that's fine. I prefer "Henshin" to "Transform" it looks cooler it feels like a transformation word.
This however is crap. When the guy answered about Skewed subs I had to go look them up. Never herd of the group. However you guys are "translating" which means you really should "translate". I shouldn't have to find out on my own. I shouldn't have had to ask. If that's your attitude Takenoko then maybe I should just download the raws and figure it out on my own because I'll obviously enjoy the show so much more.
I like the subs
I like the effects
I like the group as a whole
I know you don't have to do this and I know you do this for fun on your spare time.
I don't know what else to say. I defend you guys on the untranslated stuff. Mostly because I figured there was a good reason for it. Now I see you really in the end just don't care.

*Closes eyes and awaits Banhammer swing*

Jesus Saves
Cthulhu Eats

Spoiler
Made You Look
TG23
Gabu
Dreamy: Hell Wolf-kun
My boom: Killing You Guys

Post by TG23 »

takenoko wrote:When those people put that knowledge together and figure it out on their own, I'll bet they feel pretty good about themselves, and who am I to take that away from them?
...Your takenoko... Destroyer of Minute Joys... it's like your job. Kidding. FISH SAUSAGES!!

I gotta say, Akared was a really nice touch to the brief flashback. Gonna be alot of buzz and theories about how it's connected to past series now. Ahh... I miss those Decade discussions. Final Wave is definitely a cool finisher. I love that kinda non-professional or somewhat non-formal style of attack and its very cool how the weapons can be interchange like that even with the finisher. Probably helps that it shares the same name too. No need to be specific about it. Just go as you please ala the pirate way.

For a second there when they changed to the Hurricangers I thought "Hey, why doesn't Green just change into Shuirkenger" but then I realize that that is probably best reserved for the potential other rangers the series might have. So it might be safe to assume that the five will take on the forms of the primary members of past sentais in situations when their are multiple teams like in Hurricanger and Go-Onger while hopefully the 6th or special rangers will be solely for this series special/extra rangers. Although it would actually be cool if those rangers' ranger keys where more special then other ranger keys. Oh, and it actually pretty interesting that they call them ranger keys too. I know that the ranger part has always been part of sentai series but I've always felt that the term "ranger" was a US type of thing and that regardless of names, "sentai" would be the main term for the Japanese.
OMAETACHI, KOROCHU!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, that's presumptuous of you

Anyway, yeah, the answer was BS, that's something I sort of realized. But I do genuinely kind of like the idea of people putting together Kage no Mai's meaning based on their previous knowledge. You do have a point, someone who's completely new to Sentai probably wouldn't be able to figure that out. But I don't feel too bad about this since it took me 20 seconds to find the meaning on the English Hurricaneger wiki page. So I probably should have included a translation... but I don't feel too bad about not doing it
DekaPrime
Adventure

Post by DekaPrime »

takenoko wrote:Well, that's presumptuous of you

Anyway, yeah, the answer was BS, that's something I sort of realized. But I do genuinely kind of like the idea of people putting together Kage no Mai's meaning based on their previous knowledge. You do have a point, someone who's completely new to Sentai probably wouldn't be able to figure that out. But I don't feel too bad about this since it took me 20 seconds to find the meaning on the English Hurricaneger wiki page. So I probably should have included a translation... but I don't feel too bad about not doing it

That's not presumptuous, that's predicting future behavior based off of past behavior. You didn't swing because I called you out on it.

You however are missing the point. Yes it could take 20 seconds to look it up but the point of being translators is that I shouldn't have to look it up. Yes it's great when people put stuff together. When I first saw "Taka Tora Batta" I figured one of those was a tiger. Not just a random feline but a tiger because I had seen the word used before. Someone new wouldn't have known that and wouldn't have necessarily known to look in a wiki. I still think you would teach better by translating as "Hawk Tiger Hopper" and not just tossing in a TL note the first time. The repetition will truly teach people if done that way. Yes your way looks cool but it doesn't get the point across. I've found it quite hard recently to get friends into the show as I have to take the time to pause the show and basically translate for them because you guys, the translators, haven't done that basic job.
But you know what you guys are going to sub how ever you like. I shouldn't have bothered to ask. . . .just continued to be ignorant.

Jesus Saves
Cthulhu Eats

Spoiler
Made You Look
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

No, that's kind of bullshit, man. I don't ban people for just disagreeing with me or pointing out the error of my ways. If I did, half the QCers we have would be banned. Seriously, this isn't Kingranger's #TV-Nihon anymore. If you saw me ban someone unfairly, maybe it was unfair, but more than likely there was more going on than was apparent on the surface

I don't think I'm missing your point. I acknowledge your point, but still disagree with it. I really don't think people are so stupid that they watch a show and need to have Taka Tora Batta translated for them each time. They're not little kids and I think they deserve a little more credit than that. I can't speak for your experience with your friends, but I'm sure you don't paused the episode each time, sigh, then tell them for the 20th time that Taka Tora Batta means Hawk Tiger and Hopper. If they're just casual viewers of toku and don't really care to learn it, I don't really see it as being a big deal if these little details slip past them

I do know that a lot of people here watch the shows and seem to get what's going on okay. You know, thousands of people download our shows, I'm sure they all have their opinion on what the best way to do something is. Maybe they're right, maybe they're not. There's really no perfect way to translate things. I think what we come up with is pretty reasonable for people who are willing to watch a foreign show in a foreign language. If you disagree with that, y'know, that's perfectly okay. I don't think anyone on the team would be offended by it
chickdigger802
7X

Post by chickdigger802 »

HD version coming around soon?

Can't wait to see what wtf is going on with the mech next week =P

The mecha should have some little mecha figure keys =)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Heh, check the torrent page. Just released a few minutes ago
DekaPrime
Adventure

Post by DekaPrime »

we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

Jesus Saves
Cthulhu Eats

Spoiler
Made You Look
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

To me the whole AkaRed thing seems like a shameless cameo. I hope that it is built on later on in the series.

Also, lol at the kid turning into Shinken Red. I guess the Gokai system can be freely interchanged between people then? A first for sentai to my knowledge (unlike certain 'slutty' rider belts).

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”