Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 15 released

Post by takenoko »

So a couple notes here.

In the preview I thought Basco's name was based on the explorer Vasco. I still think this is true, but if you look at the emblem on his ship, there's a giant B on it. If this is wrong, someone let me know.
Okay, Basco's name makes sense now. The full name is Basco Ta Jolokia. See it yet?
How about now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia_chili_pepper
TaBasco sauce. Jolokia is the pepper used to make it. This is horrible to find out!

His companion's name is Sally. In Japanese it'd be spelled "sarii", which is funny since gorilla/monkey is "saru". Does that mean Sally is a female space monkey? Maybe?

I'm sure I'll be the first of many to go "WTF, Basco is just the Sentai version of DiEnd." Sorry to be negative, but I'm not fond of the summoning ability as a power. Even the trumpet thing is reminiscent of DiEnd's gun.

Guess this episode will be a turning point in the series. We finally learn the origin story of the Gokaigers, which is kind of cool. Having AkaRed go out into space to gather the keys with Marvelous as his disciple is a lot more interesting than if the keys just fell into Marvelous lap undeservedly. Plus, could this possibly mean that Marvelous (and maybe Basco) are Earthlings? I just think it's funny to imagine Marvelous hanging out with AkaRed and addressing him as captain, considering he's a masked man that's pretty much the embodiment of an idea and not really a real person.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Re: Gokaiger 15 released

Post by Arigomi »

Now we know why Marvelous always pilots GokaiGalleon while transformed. AkaRed did it that way too. :lol:

Not only is Basco introduced as a bad guy, he's an immature, arrogant, jerk that seems to enjoy being evil. This could be a very good thing or a very bad thing depending on how the writers handle it.

This was definitely a missed opportunity to make Jack Sparrow references with some eyeliner and dreadlocks. After all, thin guys that wear makeup are evil in anime.

Despite all the interesting stuff going on during this episode, I couldn't ignore Basco's floppy hat. I guess it's supposed to be a tricorn hat but somebody in the wardrobe department seriously cut corners making it. Even cosplayers can makes something better. Thankfully, this black brain slug was not as bad as the head tumor worn at the Prince William & Kate Middleton wedding.
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

I'm assuming the trumpet thing is a vague reference to the original (as TOEI says) 6th ranger (aka Dragonranger)'s way of summoning his mecha? I've only seen this in MMPR, I'm assuming it was the same for Zyuranger.

Holy crap, 6th ranger gangbang. That's hawt. *chews bubblegum*

Basco > DiEnd, btw.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

So the person who said Gokaigers are to strong, will the please stand up and say it again? Well, that is, if they dare after this episode. Poor Marvelous.

I did not want to say something last episode in risk of me being shanghied and banned for a week but I happened to be watching a certian toku episode when I paused to watch and ultimatly reach last weeks preview. Then I couldn't help but to start laughing at how similar two space monkies seemed. Still rings true even after this episode.

Distant cousins maybe?
Spoiler
:thumb211359153: Edit: thumbnail not working I tried: http://fav.me/d3hu5rl

Preview: It's going to be a LONG week. XD
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm satisfied that Abare Killer is recognised as a Sentai Hero with this.

So, if this guy has the extra keys, does this mean that he'll become a possible 6th Gokaiger? Or is it going to be someone random who will flog the keys off him? I hope the second option, this guy seems like a massive jerk.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I love it when sentai manages to shock me. I figured there was a twist coming or the fight wasn't going to end on a happy note for the heroes, given the lack of the usual BGM, but I didn't see that coming. Double kudos for keeping any hint of it out of last week's preview.

First impression of Basco is good. On the other hand, the monkey's useful but creepy. I enjoyed Doc mocking the way it stands when they appeared right before the battle.

Speaking of Doc, he's the biggest holdout now regarding a missing back story. The closer look at Marvelous' history as an Akaki pirate was very interesting. Should be interesting to see what next week brings.
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Doc just might be hiding a lot more than he lets on.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

It seems like it's safe to link this now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsYpAGDGgQI
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Please, for the love of Super Sentai, will Basco become gokaisilver??? I kinda wished not as the answer.
Someone please answer.....(T.T)
BurstWolf
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by BurstWolf »

Tabasco isn't made with Bhut Jolokia. Bhut Jolokia is the hottest natural growing pepper however.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

This episode was really amazing. My only complaint is how Dragon Ranger shot out his sword beams. He activated the flute before firing in Zyuranger. Shuri should of been able to take out the whole team. With his 1000 Baseball finisher. I really feel sorry for Time Fire. Can't see junk in the hero helmet.

Spoiler on older 6ths endings
Spoiler
I also love that the first 6th team was comprised with all of the ones who died. Shuri counts, because he faked his death. Break was just a extra bonus.

Kind of spoiler about 6th Gokaiger
Spoiler
I hope Bandai considers releasing the Gold Mobirates and Trumpet. They look pretty cool for a villain.
Last edited by archer9234 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flare Phoenix
7X

Post by Flare Phoenix »

I felt they kind of blew their load a little early showing every sixth ranger in the one episode. It kind of gives me the impression Basco isn't going to be sticking around for long, and concerns that, like in episode twelve, the Gokaigers will magically become strong enough to defeat Basco with no real reason given.

Personally I hope they find a way to keep him around a bit longer as he does do a good job as acting as a puppetmaster: sticking to the background and getting others to do the work for him.
archer9234 wrote: Spoiler on older 6ths endings
Spoiler
I also love that the first 6th team was comprised with all of the ones who died. Shuri counts, because he faked his death. Break was just a extra bonus.

Spoiler
What about AbareKiller?
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Marve-chan, eating spaghetti with another guy is not cool, man...

The way Ahim used two pistols in one hand was cool. Maybe they'll make her use four sometime...

So Basco betrayed AkaRed and Marve. We still don't know how both of them met Akared though.

The fights were good as usual. Giant Sgormin fight at the beginning = no giant kaijin in the episode.

Leaving the defeated ranger keys for mavelous didn't make sense. Unless it does when he asks something in return for releasing the nakamas.

Summoning rangers is a very powerful skill. And apparently, he can summon as many as he wants. That's not good, since Basco becomes too strong and I know they won't have a good reason to explain why he won't do it in difficult situations in the future.

Basco is selfish, believes in Equivalent Exchange and enjoys teasing marve-chan and making silly jokes. He has potential to be a very interesting sixth member. By the color of his mobirate, he'll be gold.

Why didn't Akaranger get the sixth keys? And what does Basco knows that Marve doesn't?
Flare Phoenix
7X

Post by Flare Phoenix »

DrowningFishy wrote:So the person who said Gokaigers are to strong, will the please stand up and say it again? Well, that is, if they dare after this episode. Poor Marvelous.
Well... it DID take fifteen former Sentai rangers to take them down, the final ten did attack them from behind, AND Basco had the element of surprise with the fact he had more ranger keys than the initial five he appeared to only have.

So yeah, while this episode did show the Gokaigers getting their asses kicked I don't think you can really hold it up as proof the Gokaigers aren't overpowered. Now whether or not I personally believe the Gokaigers are overpowered I'm not sure, but I'm just saying this episode does not prove undoubtedly that they aren't in my opinion.
Last edited by Flare Phoenix on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silent_X
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Silent_X »

archer9234 wrote:This episode was really amazing. My only complaint is how Dragon Ranger shot out his sword beams. He activated the flute before firing in Zyuranger. Shuri should of been able to take out the whole team. With his 1000 Baseball finisher. I really feel sorry for Time Fire. Can't see junk in the hero helmet.
I chalked up them not using their powers to their full potential to them not being the actual guys.
Although I don't know what happens to guys like GoseiKnight and Shurikenger(Haven't watched enough Hurricanger to see him, but I heard he's not an actual person/human) when they lose their power.
Also, how did the dead guys fight in the war? Hopefully that's explained eventually.
I may be lying
Disclaimer: I do not endorse HeadOn; it is barely anything more than a stick of wax. I am simply using it as a Transformers joke.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”