Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 17 released

Post by takenoko »

Looks like this takes place after the 199 movie. Spoilers?

Huh, I didn't know Genta had a brother. Seems kind of goofy... Hey!

No! That's a bad touch!

Preview
Spoiler
Isn't that AbareKiller? I'll be interested in knowing what he has to do with GokaiSilver's origin story

Trivia:
伊狩鎧 Ikari Gai
So the kanji that make up his name are:
I (Itay, flashy, gallant)
Kari (Hunt)
Gai (Armor)

Wait, Gai means armor?

Oooh...

Guess I should mention that yellow is a color for "cheerful" in Japan

Gai's seems to have a lot of lines where he talks about doing something in a gingin way. Gingin is a sound word that means to do something enthusiastically. Of course, gin means silver.
zeta_gundam
Save the life
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: Gokaiger 17 released

Post by zeta_gundam »

Man, gotta wait half a year before we know what the Gokaigers got during the movie. That kinda sucks. (Please, no spoilers. Thanks.)

The fact that Gai came in so randomly as a man who loves Super Sentai doesn't sit very well with me. What makes him deserving to be a sixth member. I hope they'd explain more in future episodes. On a side note, they really should give more back story to Luka, Doc, and Ahim. I hope their backstories don't get shafted with Gai now. Gai's giving off the Genta-vibe as well. But I could take Genta from the first time I saw him. Gai on the other hand... I'm hoping he'll grow on me eventually, which I think he will. At least he managed to see through the trap set by Waruzu Giru.

I find his henshin device a little odd. Maybe because it looks more clunky compared to the rest's? Or maybe it's because the fact that he doesn't turn have to do the key-turning thing like everyone else when he transforms? I don't know, it's just the feeling that it's a little off.

So the Gokaigers can change into additional members, and it's not just restricted to the sixth member? So what's so special about the sixth member aside from his unique weapon and slightly different design?

On a side note, it was nice to see Marvelous protect the big sized silver dude from Armadon's lightning attack while untransformed. There's a certain 'awesome' factor to it. =/ And who's that silver guy anyway? Why did they show him... twice at that.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

This is an episode that turns out to be more than the sum of its parts. It didn’t really break any new ground in terms of the new member’s (a) personality or (b) reasons for entering the fight. It doesn’t help that Gai really does have a lot of Genta similarities - the aspirations to be a member of an existing team, the hyper-peppy personality, the obsession with having an impressive debut and [potential spoiler for next episode]
Spoiler
it looks like he even comes with his own mecha
like Genta did. Plus, the Gokaigers’ reactions were a lot like the Shinkengers’ reactions to ShinkenGold’s first appearance. We were just missing someone pointing out that he was sparkly. (On second thought, he kind of said that himself.)

As for GokaiSilver itself, it’s nice. The design is mostly the same as the rest of the team and I like those. Using the bandanna to set it apart was a good idea. The only element I’m iffy on is the sunglass-look to his visor. As for how he transforms - I also have a quibble that is that it doesn’t seem like his phone folds down or shrinks in some way. The Mobirates were big and kinda clunky to begin with, but Silver’s looks like a cell phone from the late 80s/early 90s.

I’m not sure I like GokaiSilver’s theme song, but it’s really catchy. I found myself humming it afterward. His gingin pun is fun too.

Ultimately, that’s why I like this episode - it’s fun. The humor ends up carrying this episode, which is easy because there’s a lot of it. Lots of moments made me smile:
-Marvelous has the funniest expression on his face when he first considers track-suit man as their amazing silver man
-Gai uttering the worst thing he could say after finding himself in a suspicious situation - “I’m definitely not suspicious”. Right.
-The MOTW completely blowing the secret plan.
-Luka calling the SilverBlazer old...at first I thought it was because she had the oldest suit of that batch, but that wasn’t quite true. Still struck me as funny.
-Luka calling Gai cute - twice. It was random the first time, but then she said it a second time!
-Megaphone + Gokai Ou = Awesome search technique.
-Silver’s ridiculously long (but color-friendly) introduction speech.
-And of course, that spoof opening. Marvelous and Luka are funny, but I can’t get past “I’m Joe!” without bursting into laughter. And Ahim breaking fourth wall to point out that Gai didn’t imagine her any differently...that sequence is awesome.

Speaking of the team, the summer clothes look nice. Clearly, Marvelous is from a tropical planet that he can still be wearing his full outfit when everyone else strips down a few layers.

Points to the Gokaigers for using their brains and figuring out that Armadon running from the battle was because they (accidentally) figured out his weak spot...and triple points to Giru for trying to capitalize on the fact that the Gokaigers’ would figure it out. Yeah, it didn’t work in the end, but it’s nice to see the characters on both sides trying to out-think the other.

The most unique thing about this episode? I think this is the clearest answer we’ve ever gotten for where a sentai movie fits into the series. I’m a little curious about what the timing was originally supposed to be like. The movie got delayed 3 (maybe 4?) weeks because of the earthquake, but we only lost 1 week of episodes. This episode aired the day after the movie premiered, and yet it directly references the movie. Makes me wonder if the movie tie-in was always supposed to be in this episode or if it was supposed to be at the start of the Basco episodes and they held it back.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

AND "ikari" can also be written as 錨 "anchor"! :D
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

PHurricane wrote:The most unique thing about this episode? I think this is the clearest answer we’ve ever gotten for where a sentai movie fits into the series. I’m a little curious about what the timing was originally supposed to be like. The movie got delayed 3 (maybe 4?) weeks because of the earthquake, but we only lost 1 week of episodes. This episode aired the day after the movie premiered, and yet it directly references the movie. Makes me wonder if the movie tie-in was always supposed to be in this episode or if it was supposed to be at the start of the Basco episodes and they held it back.
That's an excellent point. It really makes you wonder how modular that first part of the episode is. Since the Sugoumin are mentioned to be part of a larger plan later on. I mean, it really makes you think about the repercussions of the earthquake. I doubt this, but maybe GokaiSilever was supposed to appear sooner in the series.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

I dunno, would they have had enough time to re-film some of the scenes? What's the production delay like? They pretty clearly give blatant exposition after the mecha fight in the beginning directly relating to the movie.

....perhaps too blatant? I mean, it's not out of the question that they quickly shot that little exposition scene and stuck it into this ep. Oh, the mysteries never cease.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Gai's phone looks like a display case a collector of Ranger Keys would use. It probably has some functions we don't know about yet to justify the bulky design.

I think Gai could prove to be a valuable resource to the team. The other Gokaigers know very little about Super Sentai in general so they have to rely on Navi's vague directions in order to obtain Grand Powers. At the very least, Gai could help the team be a little more heroic so that the public doesn't feel compelled to turn against them.

My favorite part was Gai's reinterpretation of their introduction. It reminded me of the cheesy lines you get hear during the press conferences and promos.
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

Did they really have to make the sixth sentai member a dork? He dresses up like a dork, he talks like one and act like one...
bloodfyr
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by bloodfyr »

He's got a definite Genta-vibe going on, but his voice...eeeeh. That's a voice that's gonna take some getting used to. Also, his costume is kinda off. The helmet just looks weird, and I think the collar is too big. His finisher is cool though. Gorey.

I bet AkaRed gave him the...Ranger Key and whatever it is he's using to transform. It does look like a display or protective case for a figure, which would fit the theme of the super fan.
Lyra
Go Go!
Favorite series: OOO, Bouken, Go-bus
2nd Favorite Series: Gao, Geki, Gokai
Dreamy: Marvelous, Long
Favorite Actor?: Kamikawa Takaya
Favorite Band: JAM Project
My boom: Ikemen
Quote: ''Those who dream are human. Those who chase their dreams are Adventurers.''
- Akashi Satoru

Post by Lyra »

PERFECT EPISODE!!!
Man! I don't even know where to start! xD
First off, Gai is everything I expected him to be and more, He reminds me not only of Genta but even a little bit of myself xD and I have to agree with Luka (I really hope that won't become a habit, I don't like hate her...) but Gai is absolutely adorable!! His facial expressions are priceless. Though I'm not sure about his imagination.... his edit on the heroic Gokai-stroll was creepy as hell... hearing Marvelous and Joe going all 'Boku' and 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' is surely going to haunt me in my dreams... o.O'' then again... there is some weird urge to watch it over and over again xD
I kinda like GokaiSilver's design, though it'll probably take a while for me to get used to his helmet design, but I really like the collar, Spear and finisher.

I hope we won't get too many spoilers about the movie... Just curious; how long does it take for TvNihon to sub an entire movie? (not that I'm saying to hurry up or something :P I'm forever in your debt for all that you do :) )

And even though I'm a big Genta fan, (and I see myself becomming a huge Gai fan as well xD) I do hope that Gai won't be too similar to him :S but then again, I'll probably enjoy him being in the show no matter what! xD

Oh by the way, something about the movie, hope it's not too spoiler-ish
Spoiler
Doc mentioned 11 Grand Powers? that means they will get more in the movie than just Goseiger, right? for as far as I can remember they've got; MagiRanger, DekaRanger, GaoRanger, Shinkenger and GekiRanger (not sure if you can count the episodes with CarRanger and J.A.Q.K as Grand Power episodes :? )
Last edited by Lyra on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

lonegamer7 wrote:AND "ikari" can also be written as 錨 "anchor"! :D
Which explains his henshin motif. And the fact that when his device 'scans' the Ranger Key, it resembles an anchor.
Arigomi wrote:Gai's phone looks like a display case a collector of Ranger Keys would use. It probably has some functions we don't know about yet to justify the bulky design.
And the design case idea fits him being a fan of Super Sentai.

For those wondering, like me, I paused the screen to see what helmets were who:
Call: GoseiKnight
Menu: GokaiSilver
End Call: KibaRanger
1: BoukenSilver
2: DragonRanger
3: MegaSilver
4: KingRanger
5: Go-On Wings *Silver and Gold are there*
6: ShinkenGold
7: Shurikenger
8: AbareKiller
9: MagiShine
*: GaoSilver
0: TimeFire
#: DekaBreak

Next Episode:
Spoiler
DINO MECH! YAY!
Zazelle
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Shirota Yu
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Zazelle »

There was a JAKQ episode?

Gai is hilarious! The scene where Joe and Marvelous go all Boku was so funny I almost fell from my chair. Although GokaiSilver's design is a bit weird, his finisher is awesome! Can't wait to see more.

Preview
Spoiler
So Gai gets a Dinosaur mecha? Cool
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

atilim wrote:Did they really have to make the sixth sentai member a dork? He dresses up like a dork, he talks like one and act like one...
Yes they had to.

He's suppose to be the hard core Sentai fan. He is suppose to be what a fan would be like, if they where given the chance to become a hero. Most people would either say no, or act like Gai. And nerd out.

Preview spoiler and some theories.
Spoiler
His Gokai Cellular has a secondary key mode on the bottom. That's why it can't fold up. It's used for Silvers power-up. I really hope the character being named Gai, and the dead heroes giving him the changer, doesn't mean he will follow in their footsteps. Gai was killed in Jetman. And the 3 heroes: Killer, Dragon, and Fire, are dead. Shuri faked his death.
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

archer9234 wrote:
atilim wrote:Did they really have to make the sixth sentai member a dork? He dresses up like a dork, he talks like one and act like one...
Yes they had to.

He's suppose to be the hard core Sentai fan. He is suppose to be what a fan would be like, if they where given the chance to become a hero. Most people would either say no, or act like Gai. And nerd out.

Preview spoiler and some theories.
Spoiler
His Gokai Cellular has a secondary key mode on the bottom. That's why it can't fold up. It's used for Silvers power-up. I really hope the character being named Gai, and the dead heroes giving him the changer, doesn't mean he will follow in their footsteps. Gai was killed in Jetman. And the 3 heroes: Killer, Dragon, and Fire, are dead. Shuri faked his death.
Most people wouldn't where their socks like that....and pink pants
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Gai's a retard fan.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”