Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 18 released

Post by takenoko »

Gokaiger makes me so happy in my pants.

No matter what you think of Gai's personality, having an origin story where you receive your super power in the after life is pretty cool. Would have been interesting if it had been cursed or something or if using it cost him a little bit of his life (or something that would make Gai's personality a bit more gritty like the guest Rangers in this episode) but I'll take what I can get.

Fun battle with Gai helping everyone out. And his mecha is really nice. (Yay, we get to see the TimeRanger's future as well)

From the timer: 13:50 - What the hell is up with Hakase's pose?

Actually, what if there's some crazy twist and Gai turns out to be actually more gritty than he appears initially. Like that nurse seemed pretty shocked when he got up. Maybe he's already dead or something.

Trivia time:
The action commander this time is Osogain オソガイン
The Japanese wiki thinks it's derived from Osogai which is the Nagoya way of saying Osoroshii おそがい(名古屋弁で「恐ろしい」)?
The first kanji is in Osoroshii is Kyou (fear) as in Kyouryuu 恐竜 (scary dragon) the Japanese word for dinosaur.

This is important because the three Rangers that appear are united by the fact that they have dinosaur mecha partners. United by that... annnnd probably nothing else of note. Hmmm....

The mecha's name is GouJyuJin 豪獣神. Probably a play on DaiJyuJin 大獣神 from ZyuRanger
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Gokaiger 18 released

Post by jonty »

Here's a copy of my (longer than usual but just as stream-of-consciousnessy as usual) notes that I sent along with my pretime script to take:

They probably accept Gai a little too fast, but I like his earnestness.
13:50 - What the hell is up with Hakase's pose?
I like how they have Gai teaming up with each of the others. Shows his personality
Haha, I like Marvelous just thinking, "Here, this one has kanji on it"
GoseiKnight counts as a silver ranger?!
For some reason, Ahim as Go-OnSilver feels weird.
Oh, cool, TimeFire's thing actually comes from the future. Does it actually look like his mecha, though?
Hmm, DragonRanger's thing looks like DragonCaesar, but it's called Rex?
Aww, I was hoping for Top Galer to make an appearance.
I wonder if Gai will ever henshin into Go-OnSilver. I guess there would be no need to since Go-OnGold is around.

And something I forgot: The episode title has the obvious "Abare" reference in it, but does it also have any nods to the episode titles of Zyu or Time?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, Kyouryuu as in Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger, but that's just the word for dinosaur. If they had Robo instead of Robot, it would have sounded more like TimeRobo, at least. But yeah, guess no Time reference.

I guess it's both cool and bothersome that they did it this way, because that means no Zyu, Abare, or Time episodes I guess. I mean, combining the two dinosaur series makes sense and all.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

I like how Marvelous thought "so it's one with kanji?" and randomly gave one to Gai. And it was also funny to see how Gai could actually say a few lines regarding OhRanger/KingRanger before realising that it's the wrong one.
jonty wrote:Oh, cool, TimeFire's thing actually comes from the future. Does it actually look like his mecha, though?
Nope. TimeFire's mecha has a dinosaur motif and is called the V-Rex. I like how GouJyuJin's head looks a little like DaiZyuJin's, despite it being an AbaRanger power. I guess the AbaRanger aspect was in the drill arm?

That said, TimeRanger being thrown in together was kinda a downer to me. We didn't have any references to TimeRanger in the episode title, and we don't have much connection between TimeRanger and Aba/Zyu. While their additional rangers have another connection besides the dinosaur motif mechas, TimeRanger as a whole didn't have much of a link between the other two series. I guess the writers just wanted to have them gain more Powers without wasting too many episodes.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I finally realized why Gai looks so familiar. My cousin has the same facial features. Though I doubt that Gai has the same penchant for making gross jokes.

Gai made a valid point when he was drooling over the chest of Ranger Keys. Marvelous and the others don't seem to realize the kind of power they possess.

I think the connection they were trying to make with Zyuranger, Timeranger, and Abaranger besides the dinosaur motif are the nature of the villains. In Zyuranger, the villains came from the past since they got free after being sealed away for millions of years. In Timeranger, the villians came from the future. In Abaranger, the villains came from an alternate present since both Earth and Dino Earth were originally one planet. As a result, each team fought enemies from the past, present, and future. Likewise, each team's powers had similar origins that mirrored that of the villains.

This time period motif is also reflected in all the forms of GokaiSilver's mecha. GouJyuDrill comes from the future in a vehicle form when called with the TimeFire Key. GouJyuRex represents the past by the dinosaur form and it is activated by the DragonRanger Key. GouJyuJin represents by it's humanoid form and it is activated by the AbareKiller Key.

GouJyu Triple Drill Dream was simply awesome.

The Doc/Don joke at the end was pretty funny.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Arigomi wrote:I think the connection they were trying to make with Zyuranger, Timeranger, and Abaranger besides the dinosaur motif are the nature of the villains. In Zyuranger, the villains came from the past since they got free after being sealed away for millions of years. In Timeranger, the villians came from the future. In Abaranger, the villains came from an alternate present since both Earth and Dino Earth were originally one planet. As a result, each team fought enemies from the past, present, and future. Likewise, each team's powers had similar origins that mirrored that of the villains.
Eh. I don't see the connection really. Rather, I think they decided to use the three specific additional Rangers because the additional Rangers from the three series had another point in common besides the dinosaur mechas. Watch the series and see the connection for yourselves.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

Haha, I just noticed at 3:36 how Gai steals Joe's signature movement of putting his hand to his forehead, with Joe noticing and looking upset in the background. Come to think of it, that's pretty similar to Mikoto/AbareKiller's signature movement, too.

Also, I kind of like how Gai's protect-others-at-all-personal-cost attitude (which Mikoto compares to Ryouga, I assume) is more of a traditional Red Ranger personality. Makes sense for a super Super Sentai fan.

Oh, and I suppose GouJyuJin is supposed to be reminiscent of AbarenOh not just for the drill arm but also for the other fist being the head of the dinosaur? Too bad it wasn't modeled after KillerOh, though.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

I think the Drill mode is based off the Raimei machine from Timeranger.
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

Spoilers for Time, Zyu, and Aba
Spoiler
a friend of mine said that those 3 ranger is dead. is that true? I do know AbareKiller was dead, but TimeFire and DragonRanger were dead too? (sorry, didn`t watch ZyuRanger and TimeRanger >_<)

Added Spoiler tags

Edit : Sorry take >_<. My bad. I`ll try to be careful next time
Last edited by Dark Ren on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

In an anniversary show, I know some spoilers are unavoidable, but let's try to use spoiler tags and stuff for things that might not be well known

Zyu, Aba, Time spoilers:
Spoiler
Yeah, all those Rangers are dead. That's the other factor that connects them
Mattwo
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Many
Dreamy: Not a fangirl
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: I have 2-3
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: See Interests

Post by Mattwo »

Gai looks like Genta (and talks like a combination of genta and Gaku from GaoRanger "Oh my gah!"). King Caesar is a dragon, not a dinosaur.
zeta_gundam wrote:I like how Marvelous thought "so it's one with kanji?" and randomly gave one to Gai. And it was also funny to see how Gai could actually say a few lines regarding OhRanger/KingRanger before realising that it's the wrong one.
Actually I believe Marvelous was testing him. Marvelous knew that kingranger looked NOTHING like the shinkengers, and he knows what the shinken gold key looks like. Didn't they use it?

Plus he wanted Gai to find out what he had to offer. I'm certain Marvelous already knew that Gai's knowledge of the super sentai would come in handy.

Also I have to wonder if "forever silver" was actually a nod to Power Rangers. I don't think sentai had anything that was explicitly titled "forever red" or such.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

> King Caesar is a dragon, not a dinosaur.

As long as people are correcting people, the name's Dragon Caesar. The reason dragons are included in stuff like Zyu and in this case is because in Japanese, the word for dinosaur means "scary dragon".

>Also I have to wonder if "forever silver" was actually a nod to Power Rangers. I don't think sentai had anything that was explicitly titled "forever red" or such.

They never call it Forever Silver. Honestly, the lengths people go to make fake connections to Power Rangers. They went all silver as a nod to GokaiSilver, since it's his color. Did you watch the previous episodes where they went all red, white, and black and go "This Forever Black must be a reference to Forever Red!"
enthalith
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: TaJaDoru
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: SNSD <3
My boom: SNSD <3
Quote: Black absorbs all colours. Therefore I shall become the darkness that devours everything.

Post by enthalith »

Anyone else saw GoseiKnight's ranger key? It looks too feminine without the arm and leg armours imo.

EDIT: Oh i forgot to add, Gai is getting a good impression on me, he seems over-active at the start, but he is actually pretty interesting. Though him getting into the team so easily made me cuss !@#$, they didnt even get to the point where Marvelous acknowledge Gai for his knowledge about Sentai.

I just had to ask this like really...why do all the seemingly normal civilians who become part of the team ALWAYS know how to fight, in human form and ranger form, i'd like to see anyone mess up just cause they werent trained, skills dont come magically when you become a ranger.

Marvelous at 16.25...reminds me of Gai's image of him...
Dorce
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: Infinite power

Post by Dorce »

The three rangers that gave kai power were all dead. Thats what they share in common. He was unconcious that why they were able to speak to them.
Dorce
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: Infinite power

Post by Dorce »

takenoko wrote:Gokaiger makes me so happy in my pants.

No matter what you think of Gai's personality, having an origin story where you receive your super power in the after life is pretty cool. Would have been interesting if it had been cursed or something or if using it cost him a little bit of his life (or something that would make Gai's personality a bit more gritty like the guest Rangers in this episode) but I'll take what I can get.

Fun battle with Gai helping everyone out. And his mecha is really nice. (Yay, we get to see the TimeRanger's future as well)

From the timer: 13:50 - What the hell is up with Hakase's pose?

Actually, what if there's some crazy twist and Gai turns out to be actually more gritty than he appears initially. Like that nurse seemed pretty shocked when he got up. Maybe he's already dead or something.

Trivia time:
The action commander this time is Osogain オソガイン
The Japanese wiki thinks it's derived from Osogai which is the Nagoya way of saying Osoroshii おそがい(名古屋弁で「恐ろしい」)?
The first kanji is in Osoroshii is Kyou (fear) as in Kyouryuu 恐竜 (scary dragon) the Japanese word for dinosaur.

This is important because the three Rangers that appear are united by the fact that they have dinosaur mecha partners. United by that... annnnd probably nothing else of note. Hmmm....

The mecha's name is GouJyuJin 豪獣神. Probably a play on DaiJyuJin 大獣神 from ZyuRanger
There all dead thats what they have in common not dinosaurs.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”