Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 21 released

Post by takenoko »

Well, they waste no time in introducing the guest. Awesome.

Seriously, they revived Ryuoun? So it's more than heroes that we'll be revisiting. Looks like I'll have to reference my old scripts.

Fun and nostalgic, just the way it should be.

Edit: So I was thinking about this a bit more. So that Jaryuu killed all those Zangyack by himself and got past the trap without using the switch? What was he, the Jaryuu in charge of holding all the swords for the rest of the guys?

Notes:
Yomi 黄泉 【よみ】 The Japanese underworld

Asameshi-mae 朝飯前 【あさめしまえ】 (adj-na,exp,n) a trivial matter, a cinch to do, it's a piece of cake
Akashi actually uses a Japanese idiom early on. It means "piece of cake" but it literally means "it's so easy, I can get it done before breakfast". Fun TN trivia, this was a favorite phrase for the timer who did Boukenger.

Uma no hone 馬の骨 (horse bones). Apparently, this comes from a Chinese idiom that means "useless". So when used to describe a person, it's a disparaging way to call them a "nobody"
どこの馬の骨かわからぬ男に娘はやれない
I cannot give my daughter in marriage to a nobody [man of doubtful origin].
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Gokaiger 21 released

Post by PHurricane »

This was a great episode. It managed to invoke that Boukenger Mission-Per-Episode feeling without forgetting that it was a Gokaiger episode. I think the setting played a big role in that. I remember a lot of forest fights in Boukenger, and having the characters look out into the sky from the edge of a cliff was repeated over and over in both the ending sequence and several episodes. And we even got an "Attack!" - Marvelous version. About the only homage we didn't get that I would've looked for was a "Mission Complete".

I think what I enjoyed best was that this believably flows from the end of Boukenger as a series. The last time we see the Jaryuu tribe, they're still hunting down Precious for Ryuoun even though he's dead. And this episode provides a great reason why - they were trying to revive him. Great tie-in. Ryuoun himself looks great, the way he's all charred and chewed up looking.

Oh Chief. Still so awesome after five years. I can’t fault Gai in the slightest for being excited to see Akashi. I'd love to see what message he wrote to Gai. I have this image of Gai with the sentai equivalent of a yearbook by the end of the series.

Chief’s speech after the cave-in rung so true to the theme of Boukenger of finding your personal treasure, but it’s also the closest we’ve come in-series to having a veteran sentai member point out that the greatest treasure in the universe might not be something tangible.

When Chief is provoking Marvelous in the Galleon, I can just imagine him thinking that Marvelous has nothing on Masumi in terms of being stubborn and surly.

Sidekick!Marvelous is adorable. How fitting that AkaRed and Marvelous found BoukenRed after that flashback adventure. (Well, of course they would find BoukenRed in the Boukenger tribute episode, but still...)

Even though I was expecting it, I audibly squealed when the Boukenger instrumental kicked in. I love that song. Overall, they really did Boukenger justice, which made me very happy.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I guess we still get tribute episodes even though the Gokaiger already obtained their Grand Powers in the 199 Heroes. Ryuoun being all charred on the left side was a great touch. I guess Gai still needs to be more detail with his requests since there were two ninja series. I don't remember BoukenRed's javelin being used as a clamp which was nice though.

I think Akashi was returning a favor to AkaRed from rescuing him in Bouken VS Super Sentai. It makes me think AkaRed is still around and using various Reds to express messages to Marvelous since he will go off the path.
ShinkenSilver
Gao

Post by ShinkenSilver »

Akashi was great as always, but I really like the respect they gave Ryuoun as a formidable opponent. I think he may be the first villain to survive a Final Wave, and repeating the feat at giant size against Gokai Magi Bind just further establishes him as a badass. It really helps to give him a different "feel" compared to a MotW, and I really hope they give the same kind of treatment to any other returning villains.

Having Gokai-Oh wield the Boukenger sword is a neat way to handle the Great Power without having to create a new mode (and a corresponding new toy). I certainly like it more than the one-and-done CGI attacks they used for Gekiranger and Goseiger. The only thing is that I would have loved to see Gokai-Oh wielding the pick and shovel weapons instead of just summoning the sword already combined.
Joe_Mello
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: The Iromonea

Post by Joe_Mello »

KALI MAAAAAAA!

A little disappointed that Ryuuon didn't survive. I'd have loved to have an ongoing C-plot, but oh well.

Also, for some reason, I'm now compelled to track the series' funding, but I'm not entirely sure why.
CarterSensei wrote:I wound up playing "Kaiju" for a group of 2nd graders who wanted to play sentai. I think I blew up.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

I really like this episode. For me, this was the best (currently) tribute. Not only do we get a continuation from Boukenger, our main guest was in the entire episode. Rather than just popping up. I always knew that Ryuon would come back, some how. Akashi was very nice with dealing with Gai. It be nice to get one past Ranger to use the Mobirates.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I love that throwaway call, the Pirated version of Boukenger. Classic.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

For a great drinking game, take a shot every time they say "Bouken"

Guaranteed sore heads and aching livers in the morning!
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

The second time the Gokaigers mentioned that they are a pirated version of past Super Sentai. Slick.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I like how the default Boukenger action of "didn't get it, gotta destroy it" is so ingrained in Ryuoun, and the Gokaiger are way, way more ruthless.

"Sorry, you were thinking of those nice guys who played fair because it made a better adventure. Me, I'll just rip your heart out."
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Also, I think I'm going to get sick of the 'Gai transforming into the wrong group warrior' quite quickly. It was funny in the first episode, but if they keep doing it I reckon it'll get old.
Nihon_Rider_105
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Favorite Actor?: Ryosuke Miura
Favorite Band: Alice Nine
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Shock A Lacka
Quote: it's not the destination,it's the journey

Post by Nihon_Rider_105 »

awesome episode :)
Akashi is the man,enough said
neonkenji21
Infinity
Favorite series: DekaRanger
2nd Favorite Series: MagiRanger
Dreamy: Mele....
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DekaRanger Cosplay!!

Post by neonkenji21 »

I was also waiting for the time when either Marvelous or Akashi will say, "Attack!"

...And I guess since Akashi was the only other person that ever met AkaRed, it looked like he was sent to Marvelous to be reminded of who he really was, since he sort of lost track of himself.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Catastrophe wrote:Also, I think I'm going to get sick of the 'Gai transforming into the wrong group warrior' quite quickly. It was funny in the first episode, but if they keep doing it I reckon it'll get old.
Well, they Kakuranger didn't really have a 6th ranger per say. They had ninjaman, but he wasn't considered a ranger, nor did he appear in any of the previews for the 199 Movie (remember when they did the ending them and all you saw were the 5 kakurangers?) (Another thing. In Japan, for talking about sentai, do they say 'ranger' as to describe them, or do they just say 'sentai member'?)

Akashi looks just the same as he did all those years ago. Make-up does wonders.

This is just a side bar note, but, going back to episode 2 and episode 20, as long as you have a key and a mobirate, can anyone become a Gokai/past sentai hero? Don't ask me why, but it just popped in my head

Also, for the sub in this series, do you just bounce it back and forth between the people who have already did the typesetting for the past shows?
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

It seems as though Gai is limited by additional rangers and unlike the others cannot use any other ranger keys. Because why wouldn't he just change into the red or yellow kakuranger. Or is it just in his mind. I do like GokaiSilver's finisher Gokai Legend Dream. It is just cool to watch no matter how often I see it.

I liked this episode in that it changed the formula a bit. This time the Gokaiger aren't chasing the Grand Power, but the Grand Power is chasing them and pushing them to accept it. Setting up a symmetry between Akashi and AkaRed. But using the blaster without the vest? Wtf?

I guess Boukenger's Grand Power manifests itself as DaiBouken's finisher attack.

Preview Spoiler:
Spoiler
I don't think I am going to like the next episode. Because children involved episodes grow old on me very quick. And yes I know it is a children series.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”