So how does Gokaiger fit into Sentai canon?

I claim this bounty in the name of #TV-Nihon! Arrr
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Goseiger | Gokaiger | AkibaRanger >
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

So how does Gokaiger fit into Sentai canon?

Post by takenoko »

So I was skimming one of those DVDs that come with the TV magazines. You know, the ones that are all clip show material with some narrator and series unrelated music playing over them.

Anyway, I noticed that the narrator for the Gokaiger segment said that the Great Legend War happened, and then several years passed before Zangyack started attacking again. I don't think they've ever explicitly stated how long it's been between the war and the arrival of the Gokaigers, but several years would give AkaRed the time to go around the universe collecting the Planet Force Ranger Keys.

But where would place Gokaiger if the Goseiger Returns is within the same canon? They say the events of Goseiger Returns happens before the Great Legend War. Does that mean Gokaiger is taking place in 2013-4 or something?

Ultimately, this is a thought exercise for fun. There's no way all of Sentai can be canon within each other, but it'd be interesting to see how much of it falls into place before falling apart.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: So how does Gokaiger fit into Sentai canon?

Post by Phoenix512 »

I actually have an interesting case. So Ohranger takes place in 1999, then Carranger doesn't really specify a year. Car VS Oh would happen probably in the year 2000 which Timeranger takes place in the year 2000. Also GoGoV takes in 1999 so did all those Sentai series take place all at the same time.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Its up to the imagination I guess. It's hard to believe that Japan gets utterly crapsacked every year by a different monster force and a different team has to fight it, even if they do occur in different cities. It's probably better to think in the Sentai verse that these incidents are happening in different parts of the planet, just that most of the population is Japanese or something similar.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Most of the population is Japanese? That's a pretty stretch-thin explanation. I mean, what's wrong with Japan being the only one sacked with monsters every year? It is the center of the universe
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Or maybe other parts of earth also gets as much as attacks but other forces protect them. Just because we see Japan in the show doesn't mean its only happening in Japan.
DarkRobin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by DarkRobin »

takenoko wrote:So I was skimming one of those DVDs that come with the TV magazines. You know, the ones that are all clip show material with some narrator and series unrelated music playing over them.

Anyway, I noticed that the narrator for the Gokaiger segment said that the Great Legend War happened, and then several years passed before Zangyack started attacking again. I don't think they've ever explicitly stated how long it's been between the war and the arrival of the Gokaigers, but several years would give AkaRed the time to go around the universe collecting the Planet Force Ranger Keys.

But where would place Gokaiger if the Goseiger Returns is within the same canon? They say the events of Goseiger Returns happens before the Great Legend War. Does that mean Gokaiger is taking place in 2013-4 or something?

Ultimately, this is a thought exercise for fun. There's no way all of Sentai can be canon within each other, but it'd be interesting to see how much of it falls into place before falling apart.

Well

They never explicitly stated how much time gap is between each Super Sentai. For all we know, Goesigers' time was dozens of years before Gokaigers; and many years after Shinkengers' series.

They did later explain how Gokaigers came to possess the ranger keys, through the adventures Aka Red had with Marvelous and Basco. The time it took them to collect the ranger keys, and for Marvelous to meet with his crewmen must be the time between Legend War and Gokaigers' arrival on Earth.

As how they fit in the Super Sentai canon...

I can only say they fit the way all other Sentai fit into the canon, which always had some inconsistencies.

Years before they started making the sentai/rangers VS sentai/rangers movies, I thought all Super Sentais exist in alternate universes. But that obviously is not the case.

So basically they just fit into the canon, regardless whatever details seem to be flawed or missing or contradicting.
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Therm_Kitty »

DarkRobin wrote:I can only say they fit the way all other Sentai fit into the canon, which always had some inconsistencies.

Years before they started making the sentai/rangers VS sentai/rangers movies, I thought all Super Sentais exist in alternate universes. But that obviously is not the case.

So basically they just fit into the canon, regardless whatever details seem to be flawed or missing or contradicting.
Actually, that is the case. Speaking outside of this thread's concept, each Sentai takes place in its own universe. In between each universe is a VS universe where the two series can interact without affecting their actual universes. Gokaiger is simply another universe where the 35 Sentai teams all had their stories play out. It's not the same Earth where all the other series happened.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Therm_Kitty wrote:
DarkRobin wrote:I can only say they fit the way all other Sentai fit into the canon, which always had some inconsistencies.

Actually, that is the case. Speaking outside of this thread's concept, each Sentai takes place in its own universe. In between each universe is a VS universe where the two series can interact without affecting their actual universes. Gokaiger is simply another universe where the 35 Sentai teams all had their stories play out. It's not the same Earth where all the other series happened.
I think until Abaranger vs dekaranger there wasn't too much hint that sentai's share same world (after this particular one almost all sentai mentors somewhat connetected to curry shop) Also in some vs movies (I think it was in geki vs go-on first but not sure and geki vs boukenger at least hints that each organisation knows other one exist even if the rangers didn't know others) each sentai seems to know existance of other sentai. Also with Shinkenger vs Gekiranger vs movie they started add next series into movies (probably gokaiger will be an exception to this) and my guess after gokaigers they will stick to "all sentai's are from universe" trend.
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

I think until Abaranger vs dekaranger there wasn't too much hint that sentai's share same world (after this particular one almost all sentai mentors somewhat connetected to curry shop) Also in some vs movies (I think it was in geki vs go-on first but not sure and geki vs boukenger at least hints that each organisation knows other one exist even if the rangers didn't know others) each sentai seems to know existance of other sentai. Also with Shinkenger vs Gekiranger vs movie they started add next series into movies (probably gokaiger will be an exception to this) and my guess after gokaigers they will stick to "all sentai's are from universe" trend.
Not really sure what to make of this....

The guy you quoted is right, each sentai plays in it's own world except during VS movies (which is still canon)

The cameo appearance of the next sentai started with the Go-Onger VS Shinkgener movie and it was Goseiger and with the next VS movie it was Gokaiger.
The cameo appearance during the VS movies should be seen as part canon. They are canon in the sense that what they do effects the overall story (see Gokaiger) but they shouldn't really be their (again Gokaiger should not even have ranger keys during Shinkger VS Goseiger movie since the great war could not have happen).

I doubt that after 36 years or they will start to have a single universe for sentai. The producers probably decided to take the original sentai teams after seeing how they messed up with Decade and the stupid 3e rate Kamen Riders.

Same universe concept doesn't really work. if you get new bad guys every season you will end up with something stupid as the United Alliance of Evil.
Xander Blaze
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W / Kuuga
Dreamy: Tendou Souji
Favorite Actor?: Kikkawa Koji
Favorite Band: Tetra Fang
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Ultimate

Post by Xander Blaze »

You guys watch to much Decade....

I think there are 2 theories for this,

1 - They fight simultaneously, but just happen to not collide with each other in different areas or they know about each other but didn't bother because it's not their business

2 - Toei didn't bother with the timeline which is possible considering they rarely put on what year the thing happens (except for some cases).

I think the second theory is the explanation, I mean, who wouldn't notice some big giant monsters are fighting big giant robots every week and suddenly, almost end of the world but saved?

Then again, Toei never did manage to explain most of the details, they just don't bother with it. It's a kid TV show if you guys forgotten....
天の道を往き、総てを司る!
Ten no michi o Iki, Subete o Tsukasadoru otoko!
Walking the path of heaven, the man who will rule over everything!

Yes, I'm back
Truthfully.
Disappeared since the end of Kamen Rider OOO

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”