Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 31 released

Post by takenoko »

LOL, why'd she change her uniform at the amusement park? And how did she know that Navi would mistake UAOH for wow thus leading them to the amusement park in the first place? Did she read the script in advance?!

Huh. I hate to say this, but this is a perfect case of a burikko, an older woman acting like a cutesy young girl.

What? Taking the Grand Power from the girl would have been a logical thing to do. Why did Marvelous refuse it?

Oh hey, female ShinkenRed counts as an extra ranger. How about that.

Man, Basco really brought an army this time. Basco is truly the only legitimate threat to the rangers. LOL, for a second I thought Luka was fighting Marvelous. Oh hey, colors. LOL, Go-On Wings is still a thing. How about that.

Jonty wasn't kidding. What an awesome finisher from Gai this week.

Wow, the giant battle is affecting the smaller battle. Great!

Oh hey, I remember that attack from when Gai first joined.

Of course Sally steals all the Keys back. What a tease. Oh... guess not. Good job Toei, well done.

Guess Grand Powers look like crystal orbs. Neat, guess Basco is more of a legitimate threat than he appears. Thanks for letting the Gokaigers live, Basco. The series would have been really short if you finished them off here.

Pretty great episode with a wonderful battle. Good use of cameos and with the Marvelous/Basco subplot. I just kind of wish the subplots were woven into the regular story a bit more. Right now they're just self-contained "Joe/Sid episodes" or "Marvelous/Basco episodes". I guess it's easier to write things that way, but it'd be nice to see what Basco is doing when it's not an episode about him. Like they could have shown Basco collecting those three Grand Powers in the interim episodes between the last time we saw him.

Trivia:
Looked up the OhRanger names since they only do the given names in my encyclopedia
丸尾 桃 Maruo Momo - What a silly name. "Round tail peaches" And yeah, momo can mean thigh as well. I also read that she's supposed to be Chinese (HououRanger LOLZ?) so she does the Chinese martial arts. That explains why her attack is very DaiRangerish with the qi gong ball.

星野 吾郎 Hoshino Gorou - Of course hoshi means star. So I guess their names are related to the shapes on their helmet? And the kanji radical for "five" is in the "go" part of his name. These five stars are shining in the heavens?!

I tried to find a youtube video explaining fugu (from the Simpsons episode) but failed. Anyway,, I wouldn't trust Gai and Don to be cutting fugu anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitarashi_dango Just dango (buns) on a stick.

Comic dialogue:
Spoiler
M: From now on, we'll be like Doc and stop using names. Just call me Captain!
A: Then call me Princess... No, Former Princess please.
L: Then call me an Ex-Thief.
J: Ex-Zangyack.
D: Gai was a former toku ota... although he's still pretty much a tokusatsu otaku...
G: Can't we just use names like we've been using up till now?
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: Gokaiger 31 released

Post by zeta_gundam »

Finally, good job Gai for stealing the Ranger Keys by force from the silly monkey. Now what are you guys gonna do with the new Keys?

Hmm, Marvelous claims that they'll take what they want with their own hands. But pretty much every Grand Power has been given to them. So why didn't he just take the Power from Momo.
takenoko wrote:I just kind of wish the subplots were woven into the regular story a bit more. Right now they're just self-contained "Joe/Sid episodes" or "Marvelous/Basco episodes". I guess it's easier to write things that way, but it'd be nice to see what Basco is doing when it's not an episode about him. Like they could have shown Basco collecting those three Grand Powers in the interim episodes between the last time we saw him.
Well they did have Basco stealing the Changeman Power at the beginning of the episode. Speaking of writing, Don, Ahim and Luka seems to be shafted in terms of back story. I mean we had bits and pieces of Luka's and Ahim's stories, but I don't recall anything for Don. Furthermore, any references to Ahim's and Luka's pasts aren't as overt as Joe's and Marvelous'.

So... count the powers!

Gokaigers have the MagiRanger, DekaRanger, GaoRanger, Shinkenger, GekiRanger, CarRanger, Gingaman, GoGoV, TimeRanger, ZyuRanger, AbaRanger, Hurricaneger, Jetman, Liveman and OhRanger from the regular shows. Then from Episode 25, it was revealed that they also obtained the...
Spoiler
Goseiger, Go-Onger, Boukenger, DaiRanger, TurboRanger, Bioman, Dynaman, Goggle V, Denjiman, JAKQ, GoRanger
Powers as well in the Gosei/Gokai 199 Heroes movie. That makes a grand total of 26 Powers that the Gokaigers have obtained.

Basco on the other hand has the Maskman, Liveman and Changeman powers.

So that's a total of 29 Powers... Wonder how the remaining 5 will be written in? Also a few bugging questions:
1. How does Basco know who has what Powers? How does he locate former Sentai members? Maybe he stole AkaRed's Super Sentai Address book or something?
2. So... they've been collecting the Powers for a while now. There's still no slightest indication of what will happen when all the Powers are assembled.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Putting my thoughts in spoiler tags because this post will otherwise be way too long:

Spoiler
Ole!

So UAOH was tracking Basco and seeing what Grand Powers he stole. Couldn't identify the person at the beginning though.

Oh and, nice to see both Gorou and Momo back!

Lol at Navi not shutting up and screaming UAOH for quite a bit. That was funny.

Grand Powers are now handed out for free? Haha, I can only think very few sentai heroes who would actually do that. And luckily Momo is one of them! Nice to see that Gai is again correct in recognising her!

Early helmet superimpose was kind of surprising.

Momo in a suit looks cool; oh wait they enter a shop too...

Massage and dinner? Hey Gokaiger I have a Grand Power too!

Gorou with sunglasses looked as amazing as 16 years ago.

Basco and Sally! I almost missed those two, despite wanting to punch Basco into the face.

The explosion trap was something I wasn't expecting and it surprised me pleasantly, and the Momo talk taking place at the same time was almost touching.

So hang on, the Grand Power can be "shared" by more than one member at once? It was definitely in the possession of Gorou but later appeared to be in Momo's possession. Ironically, Marvelous was the one to reject it (I would have never believed that had I not seen it with my own eyes).

All Bangai heroes! OH YEAH! OLE!

OhRed's helmet superimpose and his words showed that he totally recognises the Gokaiger as true heroes (also them not accepting the Grand Power so easily).

Kaoru with Rekka Daizantou vs. Luka? That was kinda unfair.

Go-On Wings vs. Wolzard Fire and Zuuban! Cool stuff, that's why I love you Gokaiger, you always have nice surprises in episodes.

Ohranger full gokai change! Chouriki Sentai Ohranger! Oh man, this brings so many memories of Ohranger!

I loved every single bit of them using the Ohranger weapons. The fighting styles of Ohranger were perfectly mimicked by the stunt actors, kudos to them!

That Gokai Dengeki Drill Spin attack passing through Zuuban and Wolzard Fire was sudden but amazing!

Chouriki Dynamite Attack! Ole Bazooka! Now this is how you do real tributes!

And a Final Wave too! Gokai Blast and Slash, so it now has a name. I guess this episode had everything.

Yes Gai stopped Sally from getting the keys back.

Everyone guessed Basco would use the Grand Powers in some way, but not that he would turn into a monster!

Grand Powers in the form of orbs? Cool stuff. Hey Bandai, make some toy replicas for us!

Episode is definitely in my top 5-6 Gokaiger episodes so far. If pretty much all of Gokaiger has a 10/10 for me, then the rating for this episode would be way off scale. In other words, lovely episode. Thanks guys.

Keep it up for the next one!
Behold the Emperor!
the_imposter
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuranger
Favorite Band: Casting Crowns
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Maths
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by the_imposter »

Loved the episode, the Basco plot is so well fleshed out and now having given him a true form the threat to the rangers is much more legitimate, I just hope they get rid of Sally fairly soon, it's getting more and more annoying each time she appears.

The finisher from Gai was wonderful and considering the episode only really had one battle in it, it was a great battle and the Ohranger transformation was great too.

Overall a really good episode and I hope that this form continues for the rest of Gokaiger, it's been such a good series so far I really hope the finally lives up to all the expectations
Insert Witty Quote Here
remolay
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Wizard's Costume
Favorite Actor?: Simon Pegg
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Babylon 5
Quote: There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by remolay »

Remember how I absolutely hated Basco as a villain? Yeah, he's a lot cooler now. I loved UAOH's plan, but they really didn't take account for Captain Marvelous being kinda stupid sometimes.

I watched Gai's finisher like twice this time. It was very interesting.
Well I guess I'm not a pirate anymore now that img limits exist.

Help I can't help finding every yellow ranger cute
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

Did anyone else notice that the effects for OhYellow's Light speed splash Illusion attack and the Ole Bazooka looked a bit different from when Ohranger aired?
Last edited by 09MurphyM on Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

Basco has been my favourite character since his introduction and when he started to lose ranger keys I was afraid he would end up as a comic relieve character.

What he said to Gai about how annoying he is....I love how the writers and producers are actually aware of how annoying Gai is.

Now since Basco showed his true form I guess that it won't take long before Marvelous will get his new toys to be able to fight on a even term.

Generally I don't like Silver but today's Golden Mode finisher was actually nice.
SirJokaPlaya
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by SirJokaPlaya »

I loved this tribute. One of the best. With that, I just got one gripe and it's not fault of TV-N.

I have every OhRanger ep, movie, and crossover special on my computer cuz that is my number one Sentai.

If I remember correctly, I thought it was Choriki Dynamite Dash. I know they called it Attack in a previous EP, and I was ok with it since it was the first time with all 6 rangers as the original show only had a 5 ranger attack.

OhYellow's attack I thought was Flash Illusion, yet Luka called it Splash Illusion. (I know im being picky but I remember hearing it called that especially in Ole vs Kakuranger)

Part of me wishes there was a robo battle using OhRanger Robo. I love the grand powers but I wish the powers allow GoKaiger to use the old robos or do a Gokai change into a specific robo. That would be truly badass.

I wish Gai quickly finished Wolzard Fire and Zulban (if i spelled it right) and joined in as KingRanger. I loved the King Victory Flash move.

So, Gokai 32. Can't wait!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I suppose they made the suit, they might as well keep using it.

Basco has finally done it.

Spoiler

He should have taken the extra keys though. Now a want a Kamen Rider and Sentai crossover, with DiEnd and Basco trying to out troll each other.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

SirJokaPlaya wrote:
If I remember correctly, I thought it was Choriki Dynamite Dash. I know they called it Attack in a previous EP, and I was ok with it since it was the first time with all 6 rangers as the original show only had a 5 ranger attack.

OhYellow's attack I thought was Flash Illusion, yet Luka called it Splash Illusion. (I know im being picky but I remember hearing it called that especially in Ole vs Kakuranger)

Well, I checked the Ohranger entry on Wikipedia (both English and Japanese versions), plus Hissatsu Waza Dictionary (which is a Japanese site that contains a huge list of attacks from anime, manga, tokusatsu, and video games). And each of them lists the attack names as "Chouriki Dynamite Attack" (超力ダイナマイトアタック) and "Kousoku Splash Illusion" (光速スプラッシュイリュージョン).

I also did a quick Google search for the names you mentioned (which would be written as 超力ダイナマイトダッシュ and 光速フラッシュイリュージョン respectively) and I received no results. I can understand the confusion, though.
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Ole, ole, nihonjin.

...Its not dramatic to take off funky huge sunglasses unless your whole getup is equally funky.

Silly women with their shopping and womenly things.

Fan-fugu-tastic.

Uaoh. Red-Oh has a license plate of one. Uaoh.

They are pirates in name only, aren't they? Not a one missing an appendage. Green's qi gong balls notwithstanding.

How does one set up a magic flying chain trap?
ChelseaChampion
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Blade
Dreamy: LUKA MILLFY
Favorite Band: 24Herbs
My boom: Happiness
Quote: "Black Wing Sleeping Here Forever"

Post by ChelseaChampion »

atilim wrote: What he said to Gai about how annoying he is....I love how the writers and producers are actually aware of how annoying Gai is.

Now since Basco showed his true form I guess that it won't take long before Marvelous will get his new toys to be able to fight on a even term.
Isn't this like the 2nd or 3rd time Basco seen Gai? I was quite surprised that Basco found Gai annoying in such a short while.

I have a feeling Basco will become a weaker opponent as the series progress (like Juzo from Shinkenger)
Drop. Fire. Gemini. Burning Divide
Silent_X
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Silent_X »

Aww.. why did they write Gai out of the Ohranger fight?
To show that they remembered that Wolzard and Zuban can grow?(How come MagiMother didn't join them?) To fill the giant battle quotient for the episode?

Oh well, still a pretty cool episode.
Helped sort of fill out how the powers work.

Preview:
Spoiler
Hmm.. I wonder how they're going to handle the aftermath of this episode. The next one doesn't seem to have much to do with it.
I may be lying
Disclaimer: I do not endorse HeadOn; it is barely anything more than a stick of wax. I am simply using it as a Transformers joke.
Sarcastic_Jamie
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ikuta Toma
Favorite Actor?: Ikuta Toma
Favorite Band: Shinee,2pm
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Glee
Quote: Life's a bitch and she has puppies.

Post by Sarcastic_Jamie »

I'm kinda sad that they skipped maskman as an episode. It was one of my favorite sentai.
Darren Criss is my future baby's Daddy.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Pretty weird-feeling to have Joe not smacking bitches with a sword when they change to Ohranger. Ohwell, at least Don fucked up the group pose. All is well.

I really do expect them to give the Gokaiger the ability to access power-ups from the previous shows, now that they've established Basco as actually being some super-harsh monster this whole time. I miss Legendary Mode and SWAT Mode, and it just wouldn't be a celebration of everything Super Sentai without a power-up mode.

Now where's my Battle Fever J transformation?! GODDAMN IT.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”