Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Fourze 47 released

Post by takenoko »

It's been a while since we got a belt transformation cock tease that didn't pan out. Nope, still pretty aggravating. I don't know if they're trying to avoid another Faiz, but in this case, it kind of seemed like Kengo should have had every reason to transform into Fourze. Except for the plot block.

The rest of the episode was pretty touching though. Some good dialogue and character moments.

That said, the sudden "I have to go home now" subplot seemed rather rushed. It seemed like so much had to happen that it sort of didn't feel believable. Miu just sort of gives up for basically no reason. It just didn't feel very in-character for a lot of people to just give into this crazy scenario. Those guys spent the last year learning the meaning of friendship, maybe they shouldn't just throw that out the window the moment this crazy thing comes up.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: KR Fourze 47 released

Post by PHurricane »

Pretty powerful penultimate episode. A little dialogue-heavy, because there was a lot they had to explain in a short amount of time, and a lot of tears and hugging, but the more I step back and think about the episode, the stronger I think it was.

Her name never actually comes up, but I feel like the reason Kengo feels like he has to pull back emotionally from everyone is due to how he initially treated Nadeshiko and the events of Megamax. The parallels between Kengo talking about samples needing to be returned to the researchers intended to study them was too much for me to ignore, although I think it’s more (powerful? disturbing?) this time around since he’s talking about himself now. There are a couple of visual throwbacks as well, from the way Kengo reveals he’s not human by pulling off the spacesuit helmet, to Gentarou looking on powerlessly as the villain kills his friend.

At least they got to finish their handshake. And Kengo finally called Gentarou by his first name. I figured that had to be something they were saving for the finale (or close to it) since not even bringing Gentarou back from the dead warranted a change in the way Kengo addressed him.

There was a lot that stood out during the scene at JAXA. I was pleasantly surprised to see the callback to Gentarou shedding a tear upon seeing Earth from the Hutch for the first time. I think there was a lot of speculation after that episode that it would be important later, although I don’t think anyone predicted exactly how it came back up. Having that be the reason he could see through Kengo’s front was a clever example of how insightful Gentarou can be when it comes to his friends. The analogy about parting being like a broken bone for the heart was also surprisingly poignant.

Yuuki’s song. Well, I’m not sure I like how it competed with the background instrumental, but considering how many times the Hayabusa-kun song has come up, I thought it was appropriate for her to whip up some new lyrics to try and cheer everyone up...even though it made her break down even faster. At least it caused Kengo to initiate a hug with Yuuki, which kind of made up for the way he physically pushed her away earlier in the episode.

Gamou being told straight to his face that he wasn’t chosen to meet the Presenter was pretty awesome. I especially liked the return of Kengo’s BGM, which was one of my series favorites. Actually, the tone of that whole conversation reminded me a lot of the confrontation between Kengo and Shun in the Supplementary Lesson. Pity that Supernova Sagittarius gets his revenge for that taunt by crushing the Core Switch. I figured the Fourze activation wouldn’t get to finish (since that’s practically a Rider tradition), but it was kind of brutal for the interruption to come by way of what amounted to a (non) Rider Kick.

Other points:
-I know they weren’t even close, but having so much focus on the spirals on the back of Gentarou’s shirt kept making me think of the logo for Wizard.
-I can tell I’ve been watching toku for a while now, because I didn’t think twice about accepting the creative license they took with everyone able to breathe and talk despite the whole physics of a breach in space occurring.
-I need a moment to mourn Shun’s pink pillow. At least we got one last glimpse of him hugging it before it got sucked out of the Hutch when the window broke.
-Also, a moment to mourn the poor Rider Club flag. The destruction of the whole Hutch set was sad, but the tattered flag really brought it home.
-”I’m tired of your catchphrase!” - I think it’s because there’s really not much else funny in this episode, but the first time I read that line had me hysterical. A snarky comment about the arm movements Ryuusei does before his henshin would have been equally appropriate there.
-Oh yeah, Leo flashback, and I guess a mini-Gamou flashback too. Meh.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

While I had Nadeshiko in the back of my mind, I didn't make the connection that Kengo was pretty callous towards nonstandard lifeforms. Something else that caught my attention was his use of the word "materialize" which appeared in episode 2.

> I figured the Fourze activation wouldn’t get to finish (since that’s practically a Rider tradition)

/me shakes fist

-Oh yeah, Leo flashback, and I guess a mini-Gamou flashback too. Meh.

But a much needed Libra one is sadly absent. Seeing Gamou's start way back forever when makes me want to put together a timeline. Since I'm not quite sure I understand the sequence of events. So Emoto kills Rokurou, then has an immediate change of heart and then finds Kengo in the Rabbit Hutch? I dunno, it seems like they could have fleshed that out a bit more.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

FOURZE BROMANCE IS BEST BROMANCE

YES THAT INCLUDES YUUKI

Okay seriously though, until it showed me they were inside Meteor's bubble thingey (which they never tested so how do they know it works like that?) I was just yelling at the video "YOU'RE IN SPACE. NO! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!"

Kengo stays true to speculation and does indeed pull a Philip. I'm interested to see if they'll bring him back. I know W got a lot of flak for bringing back Philip, but with Fourze being a much lighter show than W, I can't imagine they won't deus ex machina their way out of here.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I found it interesting that it was Gentarou who sets Kengo straight instead of it being the other way around with the last couple of Rider series. In W and OOO, the support was the one who had to set the main Rider straight when they were falling off the path. I really like the scene at JAXA since it had a lot of emotion.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

So Kengo dies when his core switch is smashed into pieces. Well its official the past 2 Kamen Rider series and this one either had the main character disappear or die. I don't like how they're reusing old ideas. In my opinion this is a last ditch effort to get the ratings up. Btw the ratings for this episode was 5.1% (source: Rising Sun Tokusatsu) This has been the highest rating so far. And again Fourze is not using his Cosmic States to its full potential. Yes I know its a tv show and things can't go the way that people want it to go but this happens in every Kamen Rider series starting with Agito.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Awesome fight between Ryusei and Tatsugami. The transformed bit was good too.

All the crying in the museum was a bit too much for my tastes, but well, it's a shounen-esque story and it needs tears.

Sagita's supernova looks very cool. And looks more like a rider than 4z itself. He even killed Kengo with a Rider Kick.

Kengo being a Presenter was a good plot twist.
TaelonZ
7X
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by TaelonZ »

OOOKaiser wrote:So Kengo dies when his core switch is smashed into pieces. Well its official the past 2 Kamen Rider series and this one either had the main character disappear or die. I don't like how they're reusing old ideas. In my opinion this is a last ditch effort to get the ratings up.
Actually If you count the fact that Decade actually finished via movies it is 4 in a row now. Since the last Decade movie did have Decade himself die. . . and come back. . .

Also noticed you left the Wizard promo on the end, and it got me thinking. One short quip of it has 4 people in it. The older of the gentlemen in picture looks like the Cafe owner from Kuuga. Maybe its just my eyes deciveing me but I wonder if they really did bring him back.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Notice that Sagittarius Nova has what looks like a rider image on his head, compared to a skull in his normal form. Indicates that he is a rider hunter now?

I appreciate Leo being left around as well. Might give Meteor something to do next week.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I was disappointed with Leo's backstory. He wasn't very interesting to begin with and his origins only reinforced this sentiment.

It took a while but Oosugi-sensei is finally living up to his role as the faculty advisor to the KRC. Protecting Miu from Leo was pretty heroic for a guy like him.
Zazelle
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Shirota Yu
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Zazelle »

I won't lie, I cried when Kengo died, although I have a feeling they'll pull a Philip and he'll come back to fulfill the role he was supposed to do. Sagitarius' Supernova Form looks way too cool. I wonder what Leo's Supernova Form is. Am just thinking but, I kinda have a feeling all Horoscopes will come back next episode.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

OOOKaiser wrote:Well its official the past 2 Kamen Rider series and this one either had the main character disappear or die.
You mean main character's partner; the main character himself dying isn't a trope they've been repeating as much.
I don't like how they're reusing old ideas.
Why not? 80% of Heisei Rider loved leeching Agito's ideas. xP
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

I don't see what's wrong with you guys expecting Kengo to henshin. He was meerly using it for warpgate travel, he never intended to use it to become fourze.

That's the problem with nearly all preview segments for KR and Sentai, Some people are quick to think on exactly what will happen, when it's sometimes the opposite.

With that aside, my thoughts on the episode:

Gamou's Supernova form is freaking sweet. I wonder if Leo gets one? Of course not ALL of the Horoscopes had supernova, but who knows?

I thought the scene in the JAXA was VERY appropriate for the characters. Gentarou may be a crybaby to some people, but he's a VERY passionate person, and he always was on the show. Kengo's crying was understandable because he had to leave his home AND his friends, so of course he had to cry. Yuuki was pretty much expected to cry because I believe it was hinted early on that she had subdued romantic feelings for Kengo. The new version of Hayabusa-Kun, while silly for some, I thought it was also appropriate for her character.

Leo's backstory felt kinda phoned in, but it was understandable that they could not fit EVERYTHING into a multi-part finale.

Speaking of Leo, he tore shit up! JEBUS!

Oosugi-sensei's actions trying to stop Leo was VERY brave. Say what you want about his silly antics and his nonsense attitude towards the club, he can be one hell of a brave man.

KENGO! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Lunchboxx on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Lunchboxx wrote:I don't see what's wrong with you guys expecting Kengo to henshin. He was meerly using it for warpgate travel, he never intended to use it to become fourze.

That's the problem with nearly all preview segments for KR and Sentai, Some people are quick to think on exactly what will happen, when it's sometimes the opposite.
He's been teased since the very beginning to use the belt. So his one and only chance of that happening got screwed. I was pissed too.

Rest of the episode was a great second to last episode. I also noticed that nearly all the female Horoscopes ended up being turned/was good. Sonada's was male it doesn't count. Yuki could count. If she had control over it. And would of been on Fourze's side. If they didn't lose their powers.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Yeah but I was never expecting Kengo to ever henshin. It was clearly stated early on that he was unable to do it himself, so I never held any hope for it.

My point on never taking previews as face value stands, be an optimist like me! :P

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”