Dreamy: UM SNAKE DAD
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Making music videos!
Quote: We're the Heroes of Our Time

Re: KR Fourze 48 released

Post by Gottis »

^
Hey, that's a really good point. You shouldn't really think about Kengo in human terms anyway, should you? If you reboot your computer, you can start it off at the last save point, so to say. That would probably work for a Core Child as well. (I wonder how many of them there are out there, in Cosmos... Seems to me that the Presenter sent LOADS of Core Switches/Seeds/What-you-want into space, and since this is Fourze, I BET there are LOADS of inhabited planets out there...)
Finished: All Heisei
Watching: Zi-O
DwightSteel
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Dude. Megumi. So hot
Favorite Band: Daft Punk right now
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tube

Post by DwightSteel »

Also, for obvious reasons, we never really got any kind of technical data regarding how the switches work (I mean, how would we get technical data on a fictional technology?). Accepting that reactivating the core switch would essentially just drop Kengo as he was back home is a reasonable expectation in the realm of suspension of disbelief.

Seriously, when Yuki was reading the letter...tears. At work. It was not pleasant. And considering that literally no one I know understands my fascination with Kamen Rider and Tokusatsu programs in general, it's not easy to explain.
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by Gottis »

I so wish I could 'like' your comment. GOD

I'm glad I watched the letter scene at home, alone. Seriously. For obvious reasons. T~T
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim

Post by Gottis »

Ultimately. Let's pretend that Fourze had better pacing and less Monster of the Week-formula to it (not saying I don't love Fourze as it is, favorite Rider show and all...) ... Whose story would you say it ultimately was? Gentarou's or Kengo's? Personally... I wouldn't be able to decide. It's a story about how Gentarou's presence and ideals affect the people around him... But at the same time, it's a story about how Kengo grows and comes to terms with his fate.

(And is this comment relevant enough here, or should I move it to a separate thread, mod-sama-tachi? :O)
DwightSteel
Gao

Post by DwightSteel »

Gottis wrote:I so wish I could 'like' your comment. GOD

I'm glad I watched the letter scene at home, alone. Seriously. For obvious reasons. T~T
Also, while I wouldn't consider myself the most "manly man", I bear enough masculine traits publicly that I don't like having to explain myself as to why I'm, for all intents and purposes, crying at work, to people who generally talk about boobs (ok, I talk about boobs too...) and American football (I'm a super nerd, so definitely not so much). I can only imagine the conversation would go something like this:

"Hey dude how's it....dude...Dude! Are you crying?!"

"What? No...I mean...you know...maybe a little."

"Why are you crying? Your girl break up with you? Grandma die?"

"....Kengo left this really heartfelt letter to the KRC, and...he has just grown so much in the last year and...and you know, the orchestral instrumental version of the Fourze theme, and Gentarou got to crying and I...you know it just happened..."

"So....I'm going to leave and never talk to you again."

"I understand."
DwightSteel
Gao

Post by DwightSteel »

Gottis wrote:Ultimately. Let's pretend that Fourze had better pacing and less Monster of the Week-formula to it (not saying I don't love Fourze as it is, favorite Rider show and all...) ... Whose story would you say it ultimately was? Gentarou's or Kengo's? Personally... I wouldn't be able to decide. It's a story about how Gentarou's presence and ideals affect the people around him... But at the same time, it's a story about how Kengo grows and comes to terms with his fate.

(And is this comment relevant enough here, or should I move it to a separate thread, mod-sama-tachi? :O)
That's tough question, but I think that same question could be asked in different ways pertaining to different KR series. I mean, look at Kiva, which takes place in 2 separate timelines, all relating to one cohesive story, but ultimately, who's the real main character? Otoya or Wataru?

Or Kabuto, where while Tendou was the title character, much of the story is told from Kagami's perspective.

Generally speaking, Hibiki's storyline didn't have Hibiki as the main character.

(and now your parenthesized statement feels more valid)
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim

Post by Gottis »

OMG DwightSteel... I would LIKE your comment again if I could.

I'm not masculine nor male... But I DO make a great deal of not crying in public (heck, I rarely even cry at funerals) but... SPACEBROS (or as I'd like to call it - fujoshi at heart - SOULMATES (well kinda) )... Yup, sent the waterworks running overdrive. =/
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim

Post by Gottis »

For Kiva, I'd say it's 50/50. Basically, I'd view it as a generation epic/father-son story. The story is THEIRS. Wataru just happens to be the one who survives in the end.

I haven't watched enough of Kabuto to really make a stand, but... I feel Kagami's the POV character the kids/audience should relate to. Tendou is... Well. TENDOU. There's no way there are a lot of kids who can relate to him. But it's their story.

I've only watched one episode of Hibiki, sadly... =/
DwightSteel
Gao

Post by DwightSteel »

Gottis wrote:OMG DwightSteel... I would LIKE your comment again if I could.

I'm not masculine nor male... But I DO make a great deal of not crying in public (heck, I rarely even cry at funerals) but... SPACEBROS (or as I'd like to call it - fujoshi at heart - SOULMATES (well kinda) )... Yup, sent the waterworks running overdrive. =/
Yeah. You have to give credit to Japanese storytelling. They focus on character so extensively that it's hard not to develop sentimental connections to these fictional people. I mean, even Japanese storytelling tropes are character related, like the concept of the Tsundere. It all leads to public waterworks that are not easy to explain to people who don't follow this stuff...which, especially where I'm from, most people don't.
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim

Post by Gottis »

DwightSteel wrote: I mean, even Japanese storytelling tropes are character related, like the concept of the Tsundere. It all leads to public waterworks that are not easy to explain to people who don't follow this stuff...which, especially where I'm from, most people don't.
IKR? No one I know IRL would ever understand. Sadly enough. They'd just go 'hurr hurr hurr look how fake that looks *pointing at latex suits* how can you take that seriously for even a second??' ... Yeah.

Speaking of tsunderes... Kengo's a prime example. 8D
DwightSteel
Gao

Post by DwightSteel »

Gottis wrote:For Kiva, I'd say it's 50/50. Basically, I'd view it as a generation epic/father-son story. The story is THEIRS. Wataru just happens to be the one who survives in the end.

I haven't watched enough of Kabuto to really make a stand, but... I feel Kagami's the POV character the kids/audience should relate to. Tendou is... Well. TENDOU. There's no way there are a lot of kids who can relate to him. But it's their story.

I've only watched one episode of Hibiki, sadly... =/
lol, those are all, very astute observations. Paint me impressed. (especially with Kabuto. Kagami is basically C-3PO or more aptly a companion on Doctor Who, who operates the narrative as well as observes and participates in the events, but isn't the focal point of the story) But the point I was making was more that the answer to your question is arguably vague, probably by design.

And Hibiki...I like the characters, but there are too many giant monster fights in my eyes for a KR series, so I wasn't ultimately able to jump on that particular bandwagon. But I've certainly watched enough to know that the title character is not the main one.
DwightSteel
Gao

Post by DwightSteel »

Gottis wrote:
DwightSteel wrote: I mean, even Japanese storytelling tropes are character related, like the concept of the Tsundere. It all leads to public waterworks that are not easy to explain to people who don't follow this stuff...which, especially where I'm from, most people don't.
IKR? No one I know IRL would ever understand. Sadly enough. They'd just go 'hurr hurr hurr look how fake that looks *pointing at latex suits* how can you take that seriously for even a second??' ... Yeah.

Speaking of tsunderes... Kengo's a prime example. 8D
SERIOUSLY! It's like they see people in monster costumes and just lose their ability to focus on the characters and story, which are so very often well told. I go back to Kiva, which I just rewatched. Sure, it's extremely melodramatic, but you are so invested in the characters that you end up actually appreciating that over emotional aspect of it (I have an unfounded theory that they took all the romance that never happened in previous KR series and just dumped it into Kiva, and then everyone ended up falling in love with each other...and it was awesome).

Honestly, when it comes to special effects on a big budget, we've become so spoiled in our expectations in the fantasy and sci-fi realms, that we're collectively losing our ability to separate the actual storytelling from the visual appeal. But if anyone whose ever watched the Star Wars movies know, you can have special effects that by today's standards don't blow your mind but tell an amazing, gripping story (old trilogy), and get so much more out of it then incomprehensible story with pretty pictures (new trilogy).

And yeah. Kengo is basically the classic example of the tsundere, though usually the trope is a female. Though I thought Yuki and Kengo respectively were great role reversals in that sense. I'm gonna miss Yuki...much the same way I imagine you're gonna miss Kengo.
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim

Post by Gottis »

You're definitely right. Sadly, I have to say... I was one of those people, a couple of years ago. I couldn't EVER imagine myself watching something like sentai or kamen rider. Because... While I'd had nothing against kid anime; the thought of watching real adults running around in ridiculous suits wasn't going to fly for me. I thought. Then I got into the Prince of Tennis musicals, and through them, I got into Seto Kouji among others, and I simply felt I HAD to check Kiva out. (And I vaguely remembered the Power Rangers from my childhood...) And by the Presenter, I enjoyed it! :O (The main point why I started to watch Fourze was Takahashi Ryuki, since he played Echizen Ryoma in some of the Prince of Tennis musicals...) ... And yeah, I LOVE the love stories in Kiva. (I just wish I could have felt more for Mio.... But in my mind, she wasn't Maya. She just couldn't compete.)

I'll take a good or great written story over CGI any day. Too much is focused on CGI or 3D nowadays. Sometimes you miss out on the HEART. (Yeah, sounding like Gentarou now...) But if the story isn't good, if the characters aren't likable, no CGI or 3D in the world can save it. (Case in point; Avatar. =/ ) Fourze's characters attracted me first and foremost. The Powerdizer wasn't impressive as far as CGI goes, but I frankly didn't care. And in this final episode, some things looked a bit iffy; like the fire in Rabbit Hutch... But do I care? No way. It isn't the technology that makes a series, where I'm concerned. It's the script. And it delivered.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Ah, Kiva, my first kamen rider series. I really like it, and it's still one of my favorites. But i have to say, it would have been interest if instead of jumping to past and present, the first half were starred by wataru's dad in the past and then a time skip with Wataru. i just say, it would have ben interesting......or maybe i have just read too much Jojo bizarre adventure, one of the two.
CGI...when done right, it can do great things, even in a show with limited budget. Now. i'm not a fan of stock footage. but stock footage let Kiva do things with doran dragon that fourze couldn't with the powerdizer.
DwightSteel
Gao

Post by DwightSteel »

Gottis wrote:You're definitely right. Sadly, I have to say... I was one of those people, a couple of years ago. I couldn't EVER imagine myself watching something like sentai or kamen rider. Because... While I'd had nothing against kid anime; the thought of watching real adults running around in ridiculous suits wasn't going to fly for me. I thought. Then I got into the Prince of Tennis musicals, and through them, I got into Seto Kouji among others, and I simply felt I HAD to check Kiva out. (And I vaguely remembered the Power Rangers from my childhood...) And by the Presenter, I enjoyed it! :O (The main point why I started to watch Fourze was Takahashi Ryuji, since he played Echizen Ryoma in some of the Prince of Tennis musicals...) ... And yeah, I LOVE the love stories in Kiva. (I just wish I could have felt more for Mio.... But in my mind, she wasn't Maya. She just couldn't compete.)

I'll take a good or great written story over CGI any day. Too much is focused on CGI or 3D nowadays. Sometimes you miss out on the HEART. (Yeah, sounding like Gentarou now...) But if the story isn't good, if the characters aren't likable, no CGI or 3D in the world can save it. (Case in point; Avatar. =/ ) Fourze's characters attracted me first and foremost. The Powerdizer wasn't impressive as far as CGI goes, but I frankly didn't care. And in this final episode, some things looked a bit iffy; like the fire in Rabbit Hutch... But do I care? No way. It isn't the technology that makes a series, where I'm concerned. It's the script. And it delivered.
Haha, yeah, I spent a good number of years telling people how dumb I thought Power Rangers were if you weren't five (which to be fair, is true, but Power Rangers as I found out later, totally isn't Super Sentai). Basically, I thought the exact same way you did. But the more I started reading Manga and watching Anime, the more I found myself wanting to explore other Otaku/Japanese entertainment. It's how I fell into Kamen Rider.

Funny enough, I almost didn't give Fourze a try because I thought the idea of a Rider shaped like a spaceship was just too silly. Now I feel dumb for holding off for so long. It turned out SO GOOD!

And Maya was just....alluring. Mio was never going to compete. Not to mention that Mio started losing herself by the end of the series. I liked her much more when she was clumsy and had a perspective that was similar to Wataru. But she started getting more conniving near the end, which I understand why in terms of character, but it took away from her appeal, making me feel less for her character when she died. I felt more for Wataru's pain when she died then her actual death. But everything on the 1986 side was just awesome. The Maya/Yuri/Otoya triangle, and just Otoya's personality and interactions, was so unique for KR and gave it a unique flavor compared to other series.

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”