Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Fourze 48 released

Post by takenoko »

Ah, that was a satisfying ending. A bit heavy on the floaty wire-fu (I am a Libra after all) but the battles felt very right. Fourze's not really about getting the new power-up to defeat the stronger foe, there's usually a philosophical or emotional reason that has to be overcome in the foes.

I liked the way the Rider Club got together and presented that graduation ceremony (We even get to see Miu and Shun back in uniform). And the song playing in the background was so fitting. I didn't even mind that Gentarou fighting Gamou without Fourze didn't make any sense. The emotion of the scene felt right, like a good G Gundam episode.

I guess we all figured that Kengo would be back. I like that it was Gamou using existing technology who repaired the Core Switch. Maybe it's a bit predictable and a bit fairytale for Kengo to be a real boy now, but it fits with the tone of the series.

I'm also glad to see that they grabbed the past teachers and some of the students. (I wouldn't have minded seeing the glutton cheerleader again or some of the other former Zodiarts)

One gripe about the episode, Riders need to start doing a handoff the way they do in Sentai. Fourze should have done the friendship bump with Wizard. In some parallel universe, they did this, and it was pretty great.

Random thought: Are the guys and girl in white the muscle group? Is that what they were going for? I couldn't really figure out what they were supposed to represent.

Edit: Hey wait. No Sonoda at the end? Or any of the other guys who were trapped in M-Bus?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Fourze 48 released

Post by Lunagel »

Oh hi Phillip Kengo, fancy seeing you again. What's that? Vague and slightly bullshitty explanation as to why you've returned? No problem!

Yay Nao cameo!

As we were discussing the episode and I was wondering where the hell Leo got those walnuts, Phoenix came up with the rather appropriate conjecture that Leo's Supernova is the ability to materialize walnuts out of thin air. I'm inclined to agree.

I enjoyed the graduation ceremony but couldn't help feel like it was kinda out of season. Pretty much the whole show actually I felt would've been better if we had started the series in April with the school year and ended with graduation in March. Ah well, c'est la vie.

I see Gamou caught Amidala Disease.

DAMMIT RYUUSEI KISS THE GIRL MAN

Poor Shun, cockblocked by Wizard.

Seriously though, are we just going to forget all about Sonoda? I'm okay with Rakugo guy staying there cause he gave me headaches but I want Sonoda back. Poor Oosugi doesn't get his happy ending.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Yeah it was a fitting finale except for resolution of Sonada but maybe she will play a role in the upcoming Movie Wars with Wizard who still stuck in the past.

Saite being played in the background during the graduation ceremony is the graduation song of Ama High and makes sense. Speaking of the graduation scene, it was very fitting and remind me of Angel Beats where it meant the same thing for the characters in that show except for the epic fight.

Sometimes you don't care if there's a deus ex machina as along you feel it was justified. I think it was justified for Kengo to come back since what would be the point of the story.

I want to see a comic of Leo doing his Supernova and walnuts appear out thin air.

Being a secondary Rider gets you chicks. Sure the main Riders get the cool gadgets and powers but secondary Riders are like, "So, but I get chicks. That trumps everything."

Yeah showing off Wizard like that was great especially when Shun thought he could get Miu but nope. It's painful to be Daimonji Shun but we all love you.

I think that was the muscle club in the white. It's probably their summer outfit.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Choice quotes from the viewing party

Post by takenoko »

"uhhh...fire ....that was the worst cgi I've ever seen in a rider movie"

"NAO YAY" "her hair is short now"

" Interesting choice to use Endless Play as the fight song. Guess his offense isn't at zero in supernova form"

"JK gets some of the best lines"

"Graduation Kick"

"rider graduation kick!"

"the boy was Gamou?" "I could've sworn it was utahoshi" "I thought it was some random scene"

"nice callback to episode one"
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Lunagel wrote:Seriously though, are we just going to forget all about Sonoda? I'm okay with Rakugo guy staying there cause he gave me headaches but I want Sonoda back.
With any luck, Sonoda got tired of him too and killed him.

I'm generally mixed on this finale. I mean, why did Kengo want Gen to forgive Gamou in the first place? I get the whole friendship thing but,... Gen never forgave Sadondas (or, Sadondas Beta xP), he never forgave Galaxy King or Hayami... so, what makes Gamou any special? I did really like Ryuusei vs. Leo, though. The former overclocking his Limit Breaks was fun to watch.
Last edited by Go-On Macaroni on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess it's because Gamou is more misguided than malicious. He wanted something and took the most sociopathic means of accomplishing it. To him, his enemies are just people who get in the way of his plans and destroying all of Japan is an acceptable side effect of his long term goal.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Gamou...wow. It’s amazing just how condescending he can be - to the club after destroying the Hutch, and to the whole student body over the announcement system. (I wonder if most of the student body blew off his announcement as some sort of a joke.) I was surprised that I found myself pitying him a little bit by the end of the episode. I guess the Club's philosophy rubbed off on me.

I loved Kengo’s messages for each Club member. Especially the humorous touch to Yuuki’s. From the show’s website, it looks like that scene was the last the Club filmed, so I’m sure everyone’s tears were genuine.

It’s amazing that they were able to open the school the next day after that building blew up. Then again, I guess they’re used to random explosions after the Zodiarts attacks all year long. The teachers not believing Oosugi was hilarious. Why not? As Nao, er, Haruka pointed out, they all had encounters with the monsters that frequently invaded their school. Is it really that hard to believe that the Chairman’s involved?

Like it said above, I was intrigued that they chose Endless Play to kick off the finale battle. I guess they did it because it wasn’t affiliated with any one Rider or States change, and they cycled through them pretty quickly. Would have been cool if they'd put together a medley.

I’m never going to be able to watch Leo’s death without thinking of Phoenix’s theory about his Supernova power.

Gentarou’s explanation of the episode title (Youth Galaxy) was really sweet. His no frills Rider Kick in answer to Sagittarius’ kick was also pretty cool.

Gentarou fighting out of suit while the Club each said their parting words to Gamou reminded me of the Sentai tradition that the actors (usually) get to fight and/or do their roll call out of suit for the finale. I got so caught up in that, plus Saite playing in the background, that it wasn’t until Shun stepped forward that I realized he and Miu were back in their school uniforms. Really happy to see that. And man, that burnt flag...every time it pops up, it’s such a powerful symbol.

Gentarou using Rocket and Drill, his first finisher attack, to finish things with Gamou was also pretty cool.

All the Horoscopes switches went flying when Gamou was defeated and the warp collapsed. However, for Kengo’s theory that Gamou brought him back to be correct, that means that Gamou had to stumble out of the school and track down the Aquarius Switch before restoring the Core Switch. Doable, I guess, but rather complicated for someone that looked like he could barely stand on his feet.

Speaking of which, Kengo nonchalantly strolls back into the picture as he did in so many previous episodes. I like that they left it ambiguous about whether he really is human or not now. Probably, but there’s enough wiggle room for them to change their mind if future plot(s) demand it. I loved the symmetry of the scene on the bridge to Gentarou and Kengo’s first encounter, including the shot of the speaker’s school bag. Kengo’s actor looked like he especially enjoyed delivering those lines back to Gentarou.

So, the Club is working to meet the Presenters. Wonder if we’ll see them in the next Movie Wars, and if the whole Club (Ran and Haru included) will be present.

Poor Shun. But if that was his idea of a proposal, it was kind of pathetic. Guess we’ll be seeing a lot of rings for the next year. Thanks for a great year, Fourze.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote:I guess it's because Gamou is more misguided than malicious. He wanted something and took the most sociopathic means of accomplishing it. To him, his enemies are just people who get in the way of his plans and destroying all of Japan is an acceptable side effect of his long term goal.
Wouldn't you say that Libra's loyalty was a sign of also being misguided? Idk.

I liked the ending overall. Surely, a few things felt rushed (although that's the kind of feeling I've been having since about ep 36 or so), as if they had to finish the show and they were seriously running out of time. Plus the Sonoda thing already mentioned.

It was a nice ending though. Some touching moments once again which enabled this finale to follow 47 quite well. Nice to see Kengo return.

The scenes with the KRC at the end just sum up the series quite well imo.

All in all, Fourze may not have amazed me with the Switches gimmick, and may have had some slow episodes in the 20s (as many KR series often do), but it was really about the KRC people. All of them were lovely, strong but also unique characters, giving the actual flesh an overall-lighthearted show like Fourze needs.

The weekly pairs were often nice with some successful twists (some of which were plot twists), and the whole season was pretty much pre-occupied with something: member recruitment->ryuusei->events relating to finale.

Not my favourite series but one I can absolutely recommend. Well done, will miss you KRC!
Behold the Emperor!
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Words cannot describe how epic this episode was. But what happened to the mouse?
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

For a villain like Gamou, I understand why Kengo asks Gen and others to forgive him. While it's true that Gamou kills Kengo, he's technically just person with a big dream. He's not to be defined 'a pure evil villain'. And apparently being a friend with Kengo's dad contribute to the fact.

For a finale, the fight scene is a bit touching but illogical at the same time. Meteor Storm and Cosmic Fourze had trouble dealing Leo alone. much more Sagittarius. But Gen can kick Nova's Sagittarius around? Toei, even a 5 years old can recognise the irregularity in here.
Lunagel wrote:Poor Oosugi doesn't get his happy ending.
In Thailand, this phrase have a different meaning. But I do really miss Sonoda sensei in the finale.

Spoiler
With the return of Phillip, I mean Kengo, wonder what they are going for Fourze's storyline in the Movie War (assuming there is one only)
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

I agreed why Kengo asked Gen to not just kill Gamou out of spite. It would ruin everything they setup for Gen. As for all the left over plots (Dark Nebula people, the Horoscope switches, M-Bus etc.) I hope are resolved in some sort of special or movie in the future. I'd would of loved to see Gen use Kengo switch in his driver (some how to get it to fit). That would really rip off W. But the ending was alright for the show. Though Meteor finishing off Leo kind of sucked for me. Didn't feel epic, like Gen. I still hope the left over good horoscope people get to use their switches as well. Ran was gypped out of hers. I wonder if Emoto could get unkilled by using Aquarius on his switch.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

It worked on Kengo because Kengo WAS the switch.

Anyway all Kengou did was ask Gen to hate the crime not the criminal. Mostly because hating people does not befit Gentarou. As for why he could beat up Nova Sagittarius while untransformed. The answer is Fighting Spirit! Haven't you watched Gurren Lagann?
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

KR has done things that don't make sense before. I wouldn't be surprised they do this in some fashion.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

takenoko wrote: One gripe about the episode, Riders need to start doing a handoff the way they do in Sentai. Fourze should have done the friendship bump with Wizard. In some parallel universe, they did this, and it was pretty great.
do you mean the movie? because if it is that, then the cameo at the end should say that the handshake DID happen.

anyway, i liked that gamou didn't just redeem himself and kept living. I mean, people DIED because of him, so it would be kind of wrong for him to just say "i was wrong" and suddenly be a good guy...on the other hand, he could have become sort of the atoner and helped W in fighting the foundation, but whatever.
so...why did Leo disappear? i mean, Gamou HAD a reason why it happened to him, but none other of the horoscopes dissapeared in thin air(except Libra, but he has an excuse) did they just do it so there would be no body in a kid's show?

the school part felt rushed to me.

I liked this ending, it fits the series. But if i'm honest, i'm not gonna mis this series. It's not bad, but it didn't have a lasting impression on me like W and OOO did.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Friendship saves the universe. Did anyone think it would end otherwise? I knew they would bring Kengo back, so I didn't mind how cheap it was. They've done worse recently.

Finally, a Rider Kick.

I like how they brought back NAO, Ran and her friend. I wish they had shown the other ex-Zodiarts too.

LOL @ Miu wanting Wizard's ring (or Wizard himself). Just JK and Tomoko to see Ryusei off? And what the hell was JK doing there in that case? It's like they couldn't think of somewhere to put him and just let him there...

Those guys in white doing silly stuff were the ones always in gym clothes?

What happened to Sono-chan and Crab?

Gen was an awesome rider. He had the personality I expect from a hero. He wasn't an emo or a weakling. Nor he was a jerk. Sure, he was a bit dumb and naive but it's a show about friendship. After Decade, we got 3 good main characters in a row.

2nd rider was VERY cool. He starts as an anti-hero, but eventually becomes a friend. His fights were awesome and he was smart. He even got a commander rival.

I didn't like Kengo at the beginning, but that was the idea. He grew a lot during the series. And he wasn't useless, like most 2nd guys of the main trio.

Yuki was an awesome heroine. He wasn't one of the mopey ones, but she wasn't annoying like most heroines that don't mope around. She was so dorky that she became cute.

I like what they did with the villains. They introduced them early, so we could relate to them. And they also used several different commanders during the show. That prevented the lucky clover syndrome in the final commanders, though in the last episode they were nerfed down so friendship could win.

The zodiart's desing was pretty awesome. 2nd's was a bit strange. 4z's wasn't good. His belt and weapons looked like toys. It was how they could make 4z have tons of skills he wouldn't really use without making him a rider with two or 3 parts like the W and OOO.

The rider club members were cool characters and some of them grew up a lot too. Unfortunately, they didn't have enough screentime. I mean, Yuki had 3 arcs, but she was the heroine. Tomoko had only one and Shun and Miu had one + the graduation. 2nd had more episodes, but he was a rider. It would've been better if they made more episodes focusing on the members of the club instead of random students. Sure, they would need the random students, but they could've made stories that made the club members relate to the randoms or stories that used their unique skills. And since it was set in a school, I wanted to see more teenage drama.

The action was average. 4z's sloppy fighting and strange switches didn't really give us good fights. But 2nd's kung fu was totally awesome.

4z also managed to escape the mid-series blues. By presenting lots of club members, they managed to have the 1st 20 or something episodes as introduction. With the last + or - 5 being the finale and the super form episodes, they managed to have only + or - 18 episodes of random cases. With some of those being character episodes, there weren't normal episodes enough to give us the feeling that some episodes were there just to fill the 48 they had to do. The writers should learn from that and try to adapt this into the other series.

Plot was average for a rider series. Some plot twists, some good arcs, but nothing that makes it superior to recent riders.

4z was fun. I guess that's what matters most. It was an action shounen anime in the form of a KR series.

Let's just hope Wizard is good.

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”