Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Mistake in the Fourze Mega Max DC

Post by takenoko »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:Was on twitter and someone linked this... apparently, we got Stronger's speech wrong during the Megamax DC.
Oh fair enough. Also, there's a whole blog just for pointing out our mistakes? That's sort of lame? Does that writer have some kind of artistic work that they put out so that I can create a blog nitpicking their work too? Have fun being bitter and hateful, I guess? Glad to see that you're putting your free time to good use.

I get that people who are Stronger fans would be upset about that, but mistakes happen. I'm a little more upset because the ten ga yobu chi ga yobu thing is obviously a heaven and earth reference which is fairly common. Chi is a homophone for both "land" and "blood" so I must have just thought blood for some reason. Maybe because Gentarou is so hot-headed.

It is a pretty amateurish mistake, but it comes from me just not thinking very much about it and making a mistake rather than not doing the research.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Re: Mistake in the Fourze Mega Max DC

Post by Revorse »

I just got an attitude reading that.
What the shit is dude's deal?!
"Someone should really have expended those two minutes" You guys do spend time on your releases, as far as I know and it shows. People make mistakes. I don't speak Japanese, but it seems like an honest mistake. Y'know damn homophones.
KisekiRed
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Favorite Actor?: Hiroya Matsumoto
Favorite Band: D'espairsray
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Toku and Visual Kei
Quote: "The only way to get away from loneliness is to love it" - Moi Dix Mois

Post by KisekiRed »

I don't speak Japanese, but people make mistakes. One thing I learned is that translations are never exact. Some words don't have translations. So when it comes to homophones, it is the translator's decision. If they don't like how it is translated, then don't watch. But to make a blog for it? I think that's just going a bit far.
Completed Rider Series: Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze
Completed Sentai Series: Dairanger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Well, some people are just really sad. What can really be said?

You guys are pretty much proving my point for me. When people see a mistake in a script that has thousands of other lines that are correctly translated it, they don't think "Geez, this guy is incompetent." They think "Oh yeah, a mistake happens. That happens because people make mistakes. Whoops."

I'm not ruffled at all by that blog since I think most reasonable people will be turned off by the tone. And maybe it'll help keep us more honest. It's really not a big deal.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

I still find it hilarious that people complain about both 'oh what they release is a rush job they spent no time on' and 'they take so long to release anything' :V That's the internet for ya really.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

It's silly but I kinda got offended. Kinda like when someone just attacks the things you like.
What else I disliked was how they came out the subtitles somewhere on the blog. Called em, "intrusive". Lol, what? Fuck that! The subs are amazing in my opinion. I love the effects, for me they're apart of the show and part of TV-Nihon's charm. But I guess there is really no point to get that upset. It's a silly ass blog.
KisekiRed
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Favorite Actor?: Hiroya Matsumoto
Favorite Band: D'espairsray
My boom: Toku and Visual Kei
Quote: "The only way to get away from loneliness is to love it" - Moi Dix Mois

Post by KisekiRed »

Revorse wrote:It's silly but I kinda got offended. Kinda like when someone just attacks the things you like.
What else I disliked was how they came out the subtitles somewhere on the blog. Called em, "intrusive". Lol, what? Fuck that! The subs are amazing in my opinion. I love the effects, for me they're apart of the show and part of TV-Nihon's charm. But I guess there is really no point to get that upset. It's a silly ass blog.
Funny that you mention TV-Nihon's charm. i was showing someone clips of Kamen Rider and he noticed the little pictures when a switch or ring was activated. Yeah, TV-Nihon doesn't release episodes right away, but we both agreed that with little things like that, it adds to the show. Before I watched TV-Nihon's sub as a prefered choice, I watched other subs and some of their choices didn't appeal to me. So, it's just the preference of the viewer. Why make such a big deal about it? I'm sure other subbers make mistakes because . . . we're all human.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I brought Everset's Shooting Star PV to my guitar teacher and he liked how high the quality the sound was. So, I think TVN does a splendid job. Better than what people are saying.
Completed Rider Series: Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze
Completed Sentai Series: Dairanger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters.
CeronosLive
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by CeronosLive »

takenoko wrote: I'm not ruffled at all by that blog since I think most reasonable people will be turned off by the tone. And maybe it'll help keep us more honest. It's really not a big deal.
Honestly it seems like the only people that would even keep visiting such a blog would be the same kind of people that's like the creator who hate TV-Nihon.

...My theory behind the blog is that the guy got super butt-hurt by you guys. I mean why else would anyone go through the trouble of watching EVERY TV-Nihon sub on a look out for mistakes if they merely disagree with how you translate things?

...However most people who dislike TV-Nihon would probably be reasonable and just look up subs elsewhere.

...At the very least you don't sub stuff, then put your subs on DVDs that fans have to BUY, and yet be incredibly lazy by doing stuff where if someone is calling out to someone, you'd put it like: "Toshiro? (x4)."
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Interesting enough, they only does it for TVN, and not for others groups like Over-Time, GUIS that tend to do no better, sometime worst, than TVN. I've never seen such hate for another group than TVN. Maybe some leftover of Kingranger?
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

I don't think that's necessarily true, I got my Fourze subs torn into the other day. I think, as you say, there's a lot of lingering resentment about, and a few other factors that kinda coalesce into this perfect storm - I think the big one being that hardsubbing makes people who have issue with a translation kinda feel trapped with it, and unable to change things when they dislike something. But you'll never produce a translation that pleases everyone, and in fact I think the only person who can produce a translation in line with any given person's preferences is themself, so people are always gonna take issue with stuff.

C'est la vie, one just has to roll with it.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I have seen this before, lurking around /m/, but never really looked at it until now.

Some stuff they say is kind of stupid. I'm more looking at the complaints about the fonts.

Another thing is that they complain on some hands that a word isn't translated because it doesn't have an English alternative (nekojita in Faiz for example), saying there are ways around it, and then complain in Magentas Fourze subs because there were alternate words used for some of these words that don't have an alternative.

Oh well. Some people are just dicks. If they really didn't like it then I suppose they should put out their own versions. Which other people would have problems with.
DaiMomotar
Humongous
Favorite series: Kamen Rider V3 !!
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Miu Kazashiro
Favorite Actor?: Hiroshi Miyauchi
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: Tatakau seigi no...

Post by DaiMomotar »

Revorse wrote:I just got an attitude reading that.
What the shit is dude's deal?!
"Someone should really have expended those two minutes" You guys do spend time on your releases, as far as I know and it shows. People make mistakes....
Thats what the fuck im sayin.... he's got a "Troll Blog" attacking TN???

Wow why not just use the time to sub shit his way.....sheesh.
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Sawada Shione
Favorite Actor?: Ryo Yoshizawa
Favorite Band: Spiv States
My boom: Learning
Quote: "Kamen Raidā Meteo, Omae no sadame wa ore ga kimeru!"

Post by Enter the Meteor »

Hump, pathetic. They are making jabs at you guys, even though you fixed stuff, such as http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/post/4945150 ... r-cool-and, (I hoped I linked that correctly, If I did not, please let me know). Oh, and http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/post/48148504434 and http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/post/46432220754 are style choices, not translation errors.

I understand making fun of someone who is not trying to improve (I do it a lot in my English class), but you are trying to repair your mistakes and move on (like I am with math). I think that you guys screw up (something that I am very familiar with in math), but just like math for me, I improve and see what needs to be done in the future to prevent this from happening again. For what you guys do, you do very-well.

EDIT: I remove the Fourze one, I would like to thank Go-On Macaroni for pointing it out. Speaking of mistakes, that is a big one; putting one group with one's mistakes. If they are that picky, then they should hate all sub groups, we all make mistakes. But, what counts is if you fix them, as I have done. If I make any mistakes, please point them out.
Last edited by Enter the Meteor on Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Um.... the 2nd link there isn't complaining about our group.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

Enter the Meteor wrote:Hump, pathetic. They are making jabs at you guys, even though you fixed stuff... (etc etc)

I understand making fun of someone who is not trying to improve (I do it a lot in my English class), but you are trying to repair your mistakes and move on (like I am with math). I think that you guys screw up (something that I am very familiar with in math), but just like math for me, I improve and see what needs to be done in the future to prevent this from happening again. For what you guys do, you do very-well..
DaiMomotar wrote:Thats what the fuck im sayin.... he's got a "Troll Blog" attacking TN???

Wow why not just use the time to sub shit his way.....sheesh.
Okay, so like, I feel the need to perhaps unwelcomely butt in here.

Critique is not a bad thing. Mentalities like this are far worse than critique, actually, and I think are actually what kind of cause this situation to exist.

The issue with this blog, let's be honest, isn't that they're pointing out mistakes - it's the manner by which it's done. Rather than coming on the forums and going "Okay, hey, here's some stuff I caught that I think's wrong with this episode", they're posting it externally purely as an exercise in ridicule. None of the things they're pointing out - even the stylistic issues you mention (btw the gaman one is kind of an actual error because gaman means "tolerate", but it's a nossan pun so, fuck it) - are invalid critique.

That doesn't mean that just because it is valid critique, the thing being critiqued is necessarily wrong or needs fixing - in issues of stylistics personal preference will always win out, and as long as both sides can argue their logic for wanting things done a certain way, then one should always be able to agree to disagree and have respect for what the other side is doing. The problem here, though, is that rather than having that discussion, they're sitting back and going "man check out these guys, i don't agree with them, wow", and that is the problem because it means nothing constructive is occuring - the people reading the critique aren't really being educated as to the nature of the mistakes (in the case of errors) or into translation/editorial theory (in the case of stylistic issues), and the people the critique is being made of aren't inclined to act on it because the entire thing is made in such a petty manner.

At the same time, I feel like this is kind of a cycle. Modern T-N is, I feel, a group that is very welcoming of critique and those kinds of discussions, as long as they're made civilly. So why aren't they being made civilly? Well, in part I feel it goes back to the T-N of old, which was a much more defensive and insular group, and I think now the group is a lot more chill, and that the constant rain of "why won't you sub my way" has been taken off by the presence of other groups. However, in order to change the perception of T-N as a group to match the reality of its current existence, responses like the ones above are completely unhelpful. They encourage the perception that critique cannot or should not be made, and that in turn encourages people who'd want to make it to do so in a less helpful manner.

Part of the reality of putting work out on the internet is that some people are always going to take issue with it, and by extension, you. Now, I think most of T-N's translators are pretty damn good about being able to sit down and have a civil discussion about their choices and why they've done things, and know (from unfortunate bitter experience) to just let the less constructive critique wash over them. However, when people start getting overly defensive on their behalf, then IMO, that just encourages the reputation that T-N cannot be reasoned with, even though I know perfectly well from experience they can be.
ima sugu shutsudoukable

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”