Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Fourze Final Episode Director's Cut Edition released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... Episode_DC

[01:49] <takenoko> Gamou is such a great last boss
[01:49] <takenoko> "nothing personal, but you guys will die as a result of my ambition, please enjoy the last hour of your lives. thanks, bye"
[01:51] <Magenta> he really is
[01:52] <takenoko> this is bad, I think I've spotted like 2 new scenes
[01:52] <takenoko> onore toei?
[01:58] <takenoko> I wonder if all the new footage is from the last battle scene
[01:58] <takenoko> that'll be disappointing if that's the case
[02:14] <takenoko> has anyone replaced saite in the finale with thank you for being a friend from the golden girls?
[02:14] <takenoko> "thanks for being a bud"!
[02:17] <takenoko> I never noticed that the amanogawa flag hd four red stars before
[02:17] <takenoko> kinda wish the one on the right was the biggest since it's east

Final thoughts, it's a little disappointing that there really isn't that much more plot here. Since this takes place after Libra's death, I guess there was no way to add his backstory, which is what I was really hoping for out of this.

I think they added some stuff to smooth the transition between scenes, but nothing crazy memorable. I really feel like it was just a longer final fight. But that said, it was a pretty cool fight. I think Sakamoto Koichi directed this, after all.

Fourze had a good memorable ending so it was a nice rewatch, but Toei should really stop putting out these director's cuts if they don't plan on adding that much to it.

That scene transition between Kengo and Gentarou and Yuuki to Oosugi is so jarring.

It really seems like a lot of the lines that were cut were used to paint Gamou in a more sympathetic light. He's still evil, but he had his reasons for doing the things he did.

The lines that were added during the battle are interesting. Gentarou actually goes out of the way to tell Gamou that he hates him. And for good reason! He killed his best friend. That's pretty interesting given what we know of Gentarou's character.

That said, it's funny how they don't use the word "killed" in Fourze at all. The literal Japanese translation usually goes along the lines of "Kengo was destroyed" or "Kengo disappeared" or "My body would disappear without the switch". I get it's a kid's show, but isn't that sort of dancing around the obvious?
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Re: KR Fourze Final Episode Director's Cut Edition released

Post by ReversedSentai »

Well, this wasn't the best DC that we've had in a while, but I definitely enjoyed the extras. I liked how when all the members of the Kamen Rider Club was giving their graduation speech to Gamou and they added a scene of how they used to be in the beginning of the series in comparison to how much they've changed.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I like the little additions throughout the episode, but the fact remains that they’re little. I was also disappointed that the DC only covered the final two episodes, instead of the final four since those are what really made up the finale arc. And yes, I wanted to see Libra's origin story too. I don't understand why they didn't include those scenes as an extra on any of the DVDs/Blu-Rays.

I can see why a lot of the “new” scenes were cut from the original broadcast - in most cases, the dialogue explains or foreshadows something that the audience is capable of figuring out with a little deductive reasoning (Tatsugami’s explanation that he’ll disappear because he’s exposed himself to too much Cosmic Energy is the first example that comes to mind.) Or they’re flashbacks. I like most of the flashbacks, but I can see how they added time to the episode without anything in the way of content.

I liked Gentarou’s speech during the quarry battle in the broadcast version, but the DC version does feel more complete. That was probably the most meaningful new content.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

takenoko wrote:That said, it's funny how they don't use the word "killed" in Fourze at all. The literal Japanese translation usually goes along the lines of "Kengo was destroyed" or "Kengo disappeared" or "My body would disappear without the switch". I get it's a kid's show, but isn't that sort of dancing around the obvious?
Interesting. What's the Japanese word they're using? What's the literal Japanese word for "kill"? They've used the word freely in other KRs, have they not?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

Korosu would be the literal word "to kill". I dunno, usually they don't actually say "murder" or "kill" so much as they say "he's been defeated" or "he's been vaporized". If it says kill in the subs, it's probably because it sounds weird if we use the most literal form of the verb.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

See, I thought the word for kill is korosu. It must be used often enough for me to be familiar with the word.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Must be all those murder simulators that you play!

But in seriousness, let's see how many times 殺 (the first kanji in murder) appears in my captions.

Episode 14
iゲートを見殺しにしろって?
Gate wo migoroshi ni shirotte?
"Are you just going to watch as the Gate is killed?"

お前の勘違いを利用して抹殺する命令だったが→
Omae no kanchigai wo riyou shite massatsu suru meirei datta ga
"My orders were to use your misunderstanding to slaughter you..."

その女を殺られちゃ 困るのよ。
Sono onna wo yararecha komaru no yo
"It'd inconvenience me if you accidentally bumped off that woman"

So not exactly korosu, but all three mean to kill in one way or another. I've always felt that yareru was kind of a euphemism since yaru is the Japanese word for "to do".

Compare this to taosu/to defeat which I've found 2 times in episode 16, 3 times in 15, 1 time in 14, etc.

I mean, it's probably partly just "this isn't what you would say if you were speaking to each other" kind of thing. Like if I were angry at you, I wouldn't yell out "I'm going to murder you!", I'd probably more likely say "I'm going to kill you!"

It just comes off as more of a euphemism in Japanese since Taosu literally means "to knock someone down". Hence you get great lines like "I Garland will knock you all down!"
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I did like Gentarou's speech to Gamou he does hate him but instead will try to forgive him. It makes sense for him to do that. During the graduation speech when Miu and the others were doing the speeches and had the flashback of each of them in the beginning, is it me or Yuuki the only one who hasn't changed much from the beginning? Everyone else has changed from who they were in the beginning but Yuuki is still the silly girl who wants to go to space. I don't think she changed much at all.

I still would like a Libra backstory and something about Sonada and Kijima after being released from M-Bus.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yuuki not changing is fine. She was never really a flawed character, and she was the first person in the Rider Club. Gentarou didn't have to win her over like everyone else.

I also liked Gentarou admitting that he hated Gamou. It makes a lot of sense! But he's trying to overcome that, which is the important thing.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

takenoko wrote: That said, it's funny how they don't use the word "killed" in Fourze at all. The literal Japanese translation usually goes along the lines of "Kengo was destroyed" or "Kengo disappeared" or "My body would disappear without the switch". I get it's a kid's show, but isn't that sort of dancing around the obvious?
Most US kids shows constantly do this. Power Rangers and ocean dub Dragonball Z are huge offenders. And causes really horrible dialog. Where the writer screws up, just to say destroyed instead of dead. A most famous bit a dialog I make fun of is during a scene in Lightspeed rescue. When Carter is saying people would of gotten "hurt" from a methane explosion. During his field training. I can count on my two hands the rare use of the word dead in Power Rangers.
chcoman123
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Vidya Gams
Quote: Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero! - Kamen Rider Double

Post by chcoman123 »

Due to what everyone is saying about how crappy this DC is, imma not gonna watch it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh okay, sorta doesn't seem like it was necessary to waste a post saying that...
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Although there aren't a lot of new stuff revealed, I think I still prefer the DC than the original.

The story actually flows better, like some of the scenes are added just a few seconds longer, but it makes scene transactions a lot smoother (expect for the scene where Oosugi sensei informs them of Rabbit Hutch's attack, which is still just a scene jump). The original just feels rush to the finale big fight with lots of form changes and explosion, but the DC shows the character's feelings that Gentarou actually hates of Gamou, but how he took Kengo's words to heart and forgive Gamou. And the flashbacks during the Kamen Rider Club speeches really makes the graduation scene much more powerful.

It also gave more background info for Gamou instead of just being the final boss. Despite everything he did he still thinks of Utaoshi as a friend, and considered he might have chosen a different path if they were already firends in his childhood days. He's not your everyday big bad that aims to become stronger to conquer and destroy the world, he simply wants to accomplish his childhood dream of meeting the Presenter.

And in the original I never understand why Gamou and Leo fade into energy when defeated while everyone else just return to human with their switches broken. So I'm glad Leo explained that here.
xshinox
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Boukengers
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Now, count up your sins!

Post by xshinox »

is it true that the DC version doesn't show/explain what happened to the horoscopes on the m-bus?
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

xshinox wrote:is it true that the DC version doesn't show/explain what happened to the horoscopes on the m-bus?
It is.

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”