2nd Favorite Series: Other rider series
Favorite Band: Maximum The Hormone
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Funya~

Re: Fourze Promo 1 released

Post by Skull Rider »

BenDTU wrote:What does "kitā" mean?
I think Lunagel has already explained about it...
Lunagel wrote:It's because of my knowledge of Japanese that I agree with the decision to leave "kita" alone. That one word can mean to come, to approach, to arrive, to come to be, to become, to get, to grow, to continue, etc. It also can be used as an exclamation of surprise/delight, such as in Densha Otoko.

You'll notice that we tend to keep a lot of things in Japanese because we feel that they add flavor and a "coolness" factor to the shows. If you don't like that, well, it's time you look somewhere else.
Some words from certain language could have wide range of selectable meaning depends on how it was inserted/used in some situation. It sometimes best to just leave some words untranslated, or you might get annoyed at extra 2 or 3 words just to explained a certain words to English, not to mentioned an addition words to make it a useful meaning.
Completed : V3, Amazon, Black, Black RX, ZX, Shin, J, ZO, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

SiegeDragomon wrote:Zetta was being rather reasonable, i don't see where he demanded anything. The closest thing he did to trolling was asking that luna admit that it is a stylistic choice.
This is the last I'm going to say on this because I want this topic to stay on topic of Fourze. Yes, it's stylistic, but you can argue that "kita" in some situations is untranslatable, particularly in this one since there is absolutely no context for the phrasing. I may have been a bit premature as to the "trolling" comment, but look at it from my point of view: a) he questioned a sentence that I did not translate (takenoko did) yet called my translation skills out on, b) he was a brand new user registered about 10 minutes before he posted and c) he happens to work for another sub group.

Done, finito, any more comments or questions on the subject should be pm'd to either me or takenoko. Back to Fourze.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I should mention that zetta wasn't banned but vitor instead as he was being a real troll. It's fine if you guys want a debate about a translation but when you act like trolls about it, the ban hammer is coming for you.

Now we can go back to Fourze which I'm not sure about yet.
Ninja_Commander
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: There's too many
2nd Favorite Series: See previous
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Ninja_Commander »

I think its gonna be interesting to say the least. I mean this has to be first time we get a Kamen Rider series done as a school drama. Plus seeing how the suit looks in action, I think I'm gonna have to see more of it to get how it works and see if it looks better moving. But I gotta say I like that they put antennas on the helmet.
Funkatron
Infinity

Post by Funkatron »

jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Everybody get up, its time to slam now...we got a real jam going down, welcome to the space jam. All right.

...That said, to share my opinions on vitor without pming anyone (I am rebellious in addition to being the cute one), I'll defend his right to be an arse in general to a higher point than that. Partially as he didn't opt for a particularly personal attack, but that's not it. Of course his words were that of a childish wretch half-fishing for hatred to amuse himself. A wretch showing no tangible concern for the feelings of others. But I'm of the opinion that a wretch and a child shouldn't be ignored or sent elsewhere to contemplate. Its too easy for that to be taken the wrong way, rather it doesn't help when it comes to the fishing for hatred part. I believe its better to tell ones like vitor in no uncertain terms where they're going wrong and how their lack of sensibility will be the end of them. It is after that point and only after that point, assuming the aforementioned putz goes for the fingers-in-ears option, I would call it fine to do what you like and perhaps send this kid back to the slums where you adopted him from. Course, that's just me. And Juliø, but maybe I should've kept that to myself.

...Have an early warning system is what I was getting at.
BenDTU
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by BenDTU »

If (According to wiki) "Seishun suitchi on de uchū kitā" means "Switch on youth 'cause space is here!", wouldn't uchū kitā just mean something like "Space is here?"
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... yea don't trust wiki.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
BenDTU
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by BenDTU »

Kogashi wrote:... yea don't trust wiki.
I've seen people on HJU translate it to basically the same thing.
SiegeDragomon
Honey System
Favorite series: Stargate Atlantis
Dreamy: Azrael
Favorite Actor?: Yes I like Cheese
Favorite Band: HarkleFarkle
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by SiegeDragomon »

Yeah that vitor guy was pretty obviously a troll lol.

So when i first saw the pics of fourze I hated him, but he keeps growing on me. I acually like the base suit now, the switch things are kinda ugly though. They all look like giant toys, the jet arm was a cool idea but i think they could have made it look much better, same with the drill leg. The scanner thing is the only one i think looks cool.
Sometimes it's best to just go along with it and avoid the explosions, other times it's fun to be the one with the detonator and an evil laugh.
gekikara
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by gekikara »

BenDTU wrote:
I've seen people on HJU translate it to basically the same thing.
I've also seen people translate it as "Space, F*** yeah!" Both seem like they might possibly work depending on the context, but neither really sounds right to me.

I don't mind the untranslated "Kita" at all, but it seems sort of awkward to me to leave that, but translate "uchuu". I suppose it'd make people even more perturbed, but if this is going to be his catchphrase, I'd have liked the whole thing left as "Uchuu Kita".

But then I'm a lame guy who always likes all the untranslated bits, so...don't mind me, really.
SiegeDragomon
Honey System
Favorite series: Stargate Atlantis
Dreamy: Azrael
Favorite Actor?: Yes I like Cheese
Favorite Band: HarkleFarkle
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by SiegeDragomon »

Wouldn't the most accurate translation be 'Space is here!'
Sometimes it's best to just go along with it and avoid the explosions, other times it's fun to be the one with the detonator and an evil laugh.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Sure, if space physically went to Fourze, tapped him on the shoulder and went "Hey, I'm here for the party."
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

Apart from the suit (silly head) I like the promo...

And if it's bit more like a Jdrama then it might be a relaxing show to watch but a nightmare for subbing.....

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”