Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Names in Fourze

Post by takenoko »

So what do these names mean anyway?

Kisaragi Gentarou 如月 弦太朗
Well, Kisaragi is made of the kanji "like" and "moon", so his family name means "like the moon"
His given name is yet another something-tarou. The gen in his name means "string from an instrument" but I also notice that in geometry, it means "chord (straight line joining two points on a curve" which is kind of what he does with the various kids in the school.

Utahoshi Kengo 歌星 賢吾
An anagram of Hongou Takeshi, The First
Last name means "singing" and "star"
Given name means "intelligent" and "oneself"

Joujima Yuuki 城島 ユウキ
Anagram of Yuuki Jouji (Riderman) sorta. I guess the extra "ma" doesn't count
Family name means "castle" and "island". Given name is in katakana, but yuuki tends to mean "bravery"

Kazashiro Miu 風城 美羽

Anagram of Kazami Shirou (V3)
Family name means "wind castle". Given name means "beautiful wings"

JK
Initials for Jin Keisuke (X)
Mag mentioned before that JK in Japanese is short for joshi kousei (schoolgirls) but given that he's more flippant than gay, I can't help but wonder if it's just the Internet meme for "just kidding"

Daimonji Shun 大文字 隼
Zeta wrote a pretty good post about this: "But, for those that didn't know... the name Daimonji Shun (大文字 隼) is a tribute to Kamen Rider Nigou, Ichimonji Hayato (一文字 隼人). You combine the "一" and the "人" characters to get the "dai" (大) character."
Daimonji is basically a rich family's name, so in dramas it's pretty common for the rich kid to be named Daimonji. Shun means "peregrine falcon"

Nozama Tomoko 野座間 友子
Last name is "Amazon" backwards
Family name means "field" "seat/constellation" and "interval/space". Given name means "friend child"

Credit goes to the Japanese wiki for finding all the Rider connections in the name

Edit:
Shigeno Jun 繁野ジュン
Family name means "overgrown-field"
She's Miu's sidekick, whose name is a reference to V3. In V3, there were these Junior Kamen Rider Club members named Shugyoku Shigeru 珠繁 and his older sister Shugyoku Junko 珠純子. Her name is derived from their given names.

Edit edit:
Zodiarts names
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Re: Names in Fourze

Post by Ivanhobe »

That´s pretty interesting, i knew about the names and managed to figure most of them out since i have been getting into classic riders ever since i read KR Spirits (AKA the manliest thing i have ever read) about a year ago. The only one that puzzled me was Daimonji, i figured it was some sort of anagram of Ichimonji hayato, but the "Dai" part never made sense to me, it never ocurred to me to look at the kanji, so thanks for that one.

Still trying to figure out the Tomoko part of Nozama, in the original show everyone called Amazon by that name because he came from the amazon and they didn´t know his name. But thanks to the narrator in episode one we know that his real name was Yamamoto Daisuke. I thought that maybe they would use that little trivia for a clever name connection or something.

Edit: Just Re-read the tomoko part, "Friend child" makes a lot of sense.

Also, it´s a little strange that there is no one with a name that makes a reference to Shigeru Joe (Stronger), he is one of the classic riders (even more than Super-1, Skyrider and ZX), so i would expect his name to pop up somewhere...maybe later in the series the KR Club will get a new member.....maybe even a new rider.....

PD: Oh Miu, you just keep giving me reasons to like you even more.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Heh, "friend child". Amazon's friend from his TV series was a small kid!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

Amazon is Tarzan?! Tarazon?!
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Ivanhobe »

I found it!!!

There is a Stronger reference in the Fourze cast!!!!

While looking at the names of the characters in the Wiki, i noticed that Miu´s cheerleader friend is actually named Jun Shigeno, i am sure there is some grammatical trick there since the name is not that different from Joe Shigeru, actually given the pronunciation in the show, you just need to remove both n`s, swap the u and the o, add and R and there you go.

This makes me wonder, will she become more relevant in the future? i certainly hope so, you just can´t leave Stronger on the sidelines like that. Though it does explain the "Random Jun eating" scene from episode 7.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, it's an interesting theory if you're right. It seems a lot less obvious than the other naming references though

Here's their names with kanji in case there's some hidden thing there:
繁野ジュン (しげのじゅん)
Edit: Kanji in family name means "overgrown-field"

城 茂 (じょう しげる)
Family name: "Castle", given name: "overgrown"

Double edit:
Looking up her name, it apparently is from something else. From the Japanese wiki:
サイドキックスのクイーンの風城美羽(風見志郎)の取り巻きということで仮面ライダーV3に登場したキャラクターの少年ライダー隊の隊員で珠純子の弟の「珠 シゲル(繁) 」とシゲルの姉の「珠 純 子」のジュンから使われている。

She's Kazashiro Miu's sidekick, who gets her name from V3. In V3 there are these Juvenille Kamen Rider Club members Shugyoku Shigeru and his older sister Shugyoku Junko. So her name is actually the given names of these two characters.

But thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will add it to the front post. If you guys find more, I'll add them
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Ivanhobe »

I am a huge V3 fan so i can believe i didn´t caught the Junko/Shigeru reference, oh well, i was to focused on looking for a Stronger reference, there has to be one, if shigero and junko get one then he must too, and also Tachibana Tobei, you just can´t have the classic riders without Tachibana Tobei.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Watching the latest intro to Fourze that has the movie clips in it shows something around this.

Minor Movie Spoilers
Spoiler
There is a scene where each of the Kamen Rider Club members are wearing Rider cosplay. From that brief shot, they all appear to be dressed as the riders from which their names are derived. Cool eh.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Zodiarts

Post by takenoko »

Orion Zodiarts
Orion: Orion-za オリオン座

Chameleon Zodiarts
Chamaeleon: Chameleon-za カメレオン座

Unicorn Zodiarts
Monoceros: Ikkakujuu-za 一角獣座 Unicorn (literally one-horned beast) constellation

Hound Zodiarts
Canes Venatici: Ryouken-za 猟犬座 Hunting dog constellation

Altar Zodiarts
Ara: Saidan-za 祭壇座 Altar constellation

Pyxis Zodiarts
Pyxis: Rashinban-za 羅針盤座 Compass constellation

Perseus Zodiarts
Perseus: Perseus-za ペルセウス座

Horoscopes the 12 Apostles
Scorpion Zodiarts
Scorpio: Sasori-za 蠍座 Scorpion constellaton

Libra Zodiarts
Libra: Tenbin-za 天秤座 Scales constellation
Tenbinbou 天秤棒 【てんびんぼう】 (n) shoulder carrying pole (Just thought this was interesting considering his weapon)

Leo Zodiarts
Leo: Shishi-za 獅子座 Lion constellation

Virgo Zodiarts
Virgo: Otome-za 乙女座 Maiden constellation
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I was looking through my bookmarks and for some reason I have a link to a bunch of constellation names in both English and Japanese:
http://www.zero-co.com/seiza/guide/88list.html
solari
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

Post by solari »

What about the human names of the Horoscopes? All so far have references to their Horoscope forms.
These are all probably known already anyway...

Sonoda Sarina = Sasori na no da 'I'm a Scorpion'

Hayami Kouhei(速水 公平) = the hei in his name refers to the Japanese name for libra, tenbin-za 天秤座
Also, I find it hilarious that his name 'kouhei' means fairness, impartiality and justice.

Kijima Natsuji(鬼島夏児) - I've read that the characters for 'Natsuji' 夏児 can be read as 'kani', which sounds similar to the Japanese word for crab 'kani' 蟹 and Cancer is kani-za 蟹座. Also, Natsuji means summer child, referring to how people under cancer are born in summer(June/July).

edit: this song by Ashida Mana can help in remembering the japanese names of the 12 horoscopes. There's even hand movements.
o-hitsuji, o-ushi, futago, kani-za, shishi-za ni otome-za, tenbin-za, sasori-za, itte-za, soshite yagi-za, mizugame saigo ni uo-za
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzcqsRLa ... re=related

EDIT/Update on new characters(may2012):
We now have Leo, Aries and Capricorn's human names!
Tatsugami Kou(立神 吼) - Tatsugami(立神) sounds like tategami(鬣 meaning 'mane') and Kou(吼) means roar. This is probably referring to the lion motif.

Yamada Tatsumori(山田竜守) - 竜(dragon) and 守(protect) --> reference to the dragon guarding the golden fleece in the mythology?

Gotou Toujirou(五藤 東次郎) - All I can think of is Gotou sounds like goat. Tou can be used to pronounce the kanji 冬(means winter) though the tou 東 here means 'east'; Capricorn marks the start of winter in the northen hemisphere

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”