Go-Busters versus AkibaRangers

Who ya gonna call?
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< AkibaRanger | Go-Busters | Kyouryuuger >

Which Sentai is the better one this season?

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
35%
Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger
65%

Total votes: 79
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: Go-Busters versus AkibaRangers

Post by Aeikozz »

SuperSentaifan4ever wrote:Part of the reason why they are using "It's Morphin Time" from MMPR is because Power Rangers is going to be having it's 20th anniversary!
I don't care it's their 20th anniversary. Your just making my point of even how much more outdated that call is. After 4 seasons (mmpr 1-3, zeo) plus countless reruns of those seasons. I really don't get any type of glee from it. It's old, it's outdated. I am 100% positive they coulda came up with something way better than that.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

20th anniversary is next year anyway, since MMPR debuted on August 28, 2003. Go-Busters won't even be airing on that date so your logic is flawed.

Yeah, there's a lot of tribute to PR in this season, but ffs, Toei doesn't care about MMPR. I know it's nostalgic for a lot of people here, but remember the main audience of SS and KR is 1) Japanese kids and 2) Japanese adults. Overseas fans don't even register on the scale of pandering. There is no point in giving a tribute to something that's never been brought over to Japan so no one knows about it.
TheXev
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki

Post by TheXev »

Oh man... I've gotta put my two cents in on this conversation.... this is a bit of rant but, here it is.

I'm not voting for either, since I think both series are great.. but everyone is missing the point to Go-Buster. First off, Gobus has the same writer as TimeRanger, and I'm imagining that many of you haven't bothered to take the time to watch any of it. TimeRanger had its Power Ranger references too (mostly with TimeFire having a Zord.. prob others). I felt watching TimeRanger, that this series was taking all the very best things I loved about Power Rangers, and meshing it with the things that Power Rangers looses vs Super Sentai, and adding a huge splash of epicness (I mean epic in a true epic sense, not in some internet meme BS sense).

Go-Buster is much heavier with Power Ranger references though, the ones I catch clearly are:
1) It's Morphin' Time
2) Red, Blue, Yellow having super powers outside of their Super Suites, this is very much like Power Rangers Operation Overdrive.
3) The glasses thing with the Morphin' Brace is similar to Power Rangers Jungle Fury, except with far less chances of taking our eye out if you were to actually try it. lol
4) I can't help but feel that the Gobus base is heavily influenced by the sets of Power Rangers in Space, and the sci-fi buff in me loves the hell out of it.

See, its like they took these Power Rangers things and made them BETTER and WAYYYY more awesome. It's like the producers said "okay, lets take all this Power Ranger stuff and make it suck less, and actually make it cool.. so we can show them how its supposed to be done!"

So, Gobusters rips on Operation Overdrive's super powers, but gives each power a distinct draw back (or computer glitch if you would: Crashing, over heating, using too much power [Intel Pentium 4 yellow!!!]). Let's do the glasses thing but without putting them on to take an eye out! Let's do Dairobo battles that look bigger and more epic! Let's toss in a splash of Gundam to show that it isn't just Rangers fighting!!

It's obvious that Toei timed a throw back retro "WAR" series that is darker to contrast with Kamen Rider Fourze's more "fun" and popping plot (it is the Super Hero Time block). If Super Sentai was guna try this, it makes sense for the Kamen Rider series running alongside of it to be a more fun series (contrast). There is no need to put Gokaiger into this conversation, its contrast series was Kamen Rider OOO's. You also have to ask yourself when was the last time there was such a dark Sentai Series? Well... I really don't know, its been so damn long and there is plenty of Sentai series I haven't seen....

Now, the changes to how dairobo battle are being shown, they simply kick ass. Because of the modified camera angels, the viewer feels smaller! Because of the ambient lighting being used, it feels like they are actually taking place outside, and less so on a set. They even put in some dirt tosses ups at points to give the scenes some grit! I'm pretty blown away by these changes, but can you imagine HOW A LITTLE KID WHO WANTS TOYS FEELS WATCHING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME??? lol

Gokaiger was about celebrating all the awesome history of the Super Sentai franchise, and the foil with Gobuster is to show new and exciting things that will take the franchise into the future (the primary "ground" monster being used as a sort of bulls-eye for the larger Zord to come into our dimension! Sci-fi freshness KITTAAAAA!!!

For all of you who tuned in to start Super Sentai @ Gokaiger, you need to go back and watch a fewer older series to realize: sorry, the plot doesn't fully kick off at episode 1 (Gokai spoiled you!!!). I think many of your character complaints about Gobuster characters will be resolved between eps 10-20, which are the eps in most Sentai series that characters start becoming clearer. You simply don't know enough about them at this point to judge them.. if you did that, most people wouldn't watch a Sentai series beyond episode 10 EVER.

As far as I see it, this current Super Hero Time block with Fourze and Gobusters is like a anime/toku's dream come true. We got two veteran writers who have written some of the most badass toku and anime ever (Fourze's writer wrote Gurren Lagann, and Gobusters wrote TimeRangers), and we are in for a treat! Fourze has been a huge breath of fresh air into the stuffy/stale writing of Kamen Rider series as off late (sorry, OOO'z is a remesh of themes from Fiaz/Kabuto/Kiva AND Blade while bringing ZERO newness or different to the table), and Gobuster appears to be doing the same for Super Sentai (Honestly, the last really interesting Sentai series I saw was Boukenger).

AkibaRanger is great for a few laughs, and its sort of a bad version of Gokai with all of its references, but its there for lulz and not there for full time entertainment/make kids go out and buy lots of toys and make $$$$$$$$zzz!?!?!!!! We should be happy that we're getting a short series like AkibaRanger to tell those few jokes we would never normally get to see!

All this Gobuster hate.. I really don't get it at all. To me, you people remind me of this scene in this old movie I once saw where the TV networks keep taking the EXACT same plot/story and just change the setting because they think people watching TV are too stupid to realize that it IS THE SAME OLD THING, but the reality is, they are smart enough to know! Difference between that old movie and today is simple: there are more then a few channels on TV now! I used to have a radio station in my market that was #3 in the entire country because it had a policy that if you heard the same song twice in one week, they'd pay you $101!? It was GREAT not hearing the same thing day after day, hour on the hour like @#$!ing XM radio!

The point of that last paragraph: You all seem to like watching the same old STALE CRAP. So, I can only rationalize that people like the same old thing.. or have yet to watch more then one series to realize that changing the norm is good (like me watching my first KR series Kabuto, then having to transition into Den-O... TRAIN WRECK!!! Wait... no pun intended?? WTF that was seriously the analogy I came up with and I re-read it and am like... damn I need to go to sleep already) .

I just don't get how DIFFERENT = crap!? Color me confused... and sleepy. Good night.
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

TheXev wrote: All this Gobuster hate.. I really don't get it at all.
LULZ... You don`t really need to understand it.
You like what you like and we like what we like, and you hate what you hate and we hate what we hate. There are many occasions that we hate what you like and we like what you hate. So trying to understand why people hate what you like is kind of pointless, because you won`t get it at all.

On topic, looks like many Akiba-voters didn`t put their two cents in this topic, huh. pretty much the majority of the posts I read were Gobus-voters.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

TheXev wrote:For all of you who tuned in to start Super Sentai @ Gokaiger, you need to go back and watch a fewer older series to realize: sorry, the plot doesn't fully kick off at episode 1
D:

Kaku lied to me!
SuperSentaifan4ever
2nd Favorite Series: Liveman
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Band: SCANDAL

Post by SuperSentaifan4ever »

Lunagel wrote:20th anniversary is next year anyway, since MMPR debuted on August 28, 2003. Go-Busters won't even be airing on that date so your logic is flawed.

Yeah, there's a lot of tribute to PR in this season, but ffs, Toei doesn't care about MMPR. I know it's nostalgic for a lot of people here, but remember the main audience of SS and KR is 1) Japanese kids and 2) Japanese adults. Overseas fans don't even register on the scale of pandering. There is no point in giving a tribute to something that's never been brought over to Japan so no one knows about it.
If Toei didn't care about MMPR, then why did they give Haim Saban the footage from Zyuranger and why would Toei ask Saban for the masters of the first season of MMPR? And yeah, my logic is flawed with that thought because I made a mistake and goofed! And here's something to take into account, the first season of MMPR was dubbed into Japanese and it was a bigger success than Zyuranger was.

So who's logic is flawed now?
Last edited by SuperSentaifan4ever on Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSentaifan4ever

Aeikozz wrote:
SuperSentaifan4ever wrote:Part of the reason why they are using "It's Morphin Time" from MMPR is because Power Rangers is going to be having it's 20th anniversary!
I don't care it's their 20th anniversary. Your just making my point of even how much more outdated that call is. After 4 seasons (mmpr 1-3, zeo) plus countless reruns of those seasons. I really don't get any type of glee from it. It's old, it's outdated. I am 100% positive they coulda came up with something way better than that.
Then explain this to me! Why did the writers of the theme for Go-Busters decide to use "It's Morphin Time" as a part of the theme song as well as the writers of Go-Busters decide to use it as part of their henshin call?
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

because it's not overly familiar to the target audience (i.e. 8-year-old japanese kids who won't have even been born when that catchphrase was a thing HALFWAY ACROSS THE FUCKING WORLD)

it's a bit of western flavor to add to a series that has lots of westernized themes, in a way that's like "hey, we have all this terminology we can use and we're not using it, let's get on that shit"

it's not meant to be (imo) anything more than recognition of the existence of PR, and by association, sentai as a global brand. acting like it's in any way supposed to be tittilating a western audience (who have no way of legally watching the show and therefore are not expected to be watching it) is quite frankly fucking stupid
ima sugu shutsudoukable
SuperSentaifan4ever

Magenta wrote:because it's not overly familiar to the target audience (i.e. 8-year-old japanese kids who won't have even been born when that catchphrase was a thing HALFWAY ACROSS THE FUCKING WORLD)

it's a bit of western flavor to add to a series that has lots of westernized themes, in a way that's like "hey, we have all this terminology we can use and we're not using it, let's get on that shit"

it's not meant to be (imo) anything more than recognition of the existence of PR, and by association, sentai as a global brand. acting like it's in any way supposed to be tittilating a western audience (who have no way of legally watching the show and therefore are not expected to be watching it) is quite frankly fucking stupid
Unfortunately, things like cultural differences as well as self regulated cable networks that exert control of how much violence and many other things are what set both Power Rangers and Super Sentai apart. Power Rangers is a global franchise as well and it has overshadowed Super Sentai because of it's success to be quite honest!
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Lunagel wrote:...something that's never been brought over to Japan so no one knows about it.
Actuallly, Luna...

I'm not sure of any statistics about ratings or toy sales or anything, but the Japanese are aware of Power Rangers, and there's some fandom for it, (I've heard the Lost Galaxy dub got better ratings than Gingaman, for one.) so that Toei decided to use some PR terminology in GoBusters for the PR fans isn't all that far-fetched.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

>> (I've heard the Lost Galaxy dub got better ratings than Gingaman, for one.)

Fake rumor that got spread around, for some reason.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Because Toei got money from Saban for giving the footage of old Sentai. Let's see it from their point of view:

Toei: Hey, there's a western man saying he wants to buy our Sentai footage. He says he's gonna make a new series from it.
Toei Director: Huh? which one?
Toei: The old one, the one from a series finished 1-2 years ago. How about it Director?
Toei Director: Well, we don't have any use of that footage anymore don't we? Might as well sell it and get more money from that series.

In the end, money matters.
SuperSentaifan4ever

toni2212 wrote:Because Toei got money from Saban for giving the footage of old Sentai. Let's see it from their point of view:

Toei: Hey, there's a western man saying he wants to buy our Sentai footage. He says he's gonna make a new series from it.
Toei: The old one, the one from a series finished 1-2 years ago. How about it Director?
Toei Director: Well, we don't have any use of that footage anymore don't we? Might as well sell it and get more money from that series.

Yep, very true!
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

toni2212 wrote:Because Toei got money from Saban for giving the footage of old Sentai. Let's see it from their point of view:

So so so true
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Yes, in the end, it was business, but i'm not all that sure it was like toei saying "Yeah, whatever". i mean, it wasn't exactly the first time this sort of thing happened, robotech, for starters, was an american series made with japanese footage. Also, it was a serious businessman with a serious offer. small thing, i know, but it wasn't that strange to have that kind of offer, and it's not like they don't care at all about this, if they didn't, why do you think there is such a gap between masked rider and dragon knight?
SuperSentaifan4ever wrote:And here's something to take into account, the first season of MMPR was dubbed into Japanese and it was a bigger success than Zyuranger was.
First of all, i consider myself a power rangers fan. But i have to say, if MMPR had better succes, it was because zyuuranger wasn't a great series, eiter. What i mean is, Burai was more or less the only good thing about it. the rest was average at best. if MMPR was adapted from Jetman, it would have been a failure in japan.

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”