Go-Busters versus AkibaRangers

Who ya gonna call?
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< AkibaRanger | Go-Busters | Kyouryuuger >

Which Sentai is the better one this season?

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
35%
Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger
65%

Total votes: 79
TVsKyle
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: If you don't succeed today, try again a different way.

Re: Go-Busters versus AkibaRangers

Post by TVsKyle »

Go-Buster is one of the most visually appealing an impressive toku shows I've ever laid eyes on. I like this new and different setup just fine. The problem is, the characters are all insufferable pricks. They've chosen to write only about their weaknesses and negative traits instead of having some give and take. I enjoy watching the show both because the visuals are so cool and because it's kinda fun yelling at the Go-Bastards for acting like mental cases, but I'm afraid my affection for Akibaranger is far more genuine. It, of course, makes me laugh and for its low budget, it's got enough visual bang to keep me interested. I care about these characters more. Their positive and negative traits are more balanced so it's fun to watch. My vote goes to Akibaranger.
SuperSentaifan4ever
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Liveman
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by SuperSentaifan4ever »

I don't understand why people are dislking Go-Busters! It's a throwback to the old school Sentai where spandex outfits weren't yet the norm for the series like they have been since Dynaman. The story is kind of dark, but it has a good blend of comedy and tries not to take itself too seriously! The only character that I don't like is Youko because she's a teenager and comes off as an annoying bitch! And I also like the references to Power Rangers since the 20th anniversary is coming up. And the buddyroids are a lot like transformers!

Akibaranger on the other hand is meant for a more mature audience that appeals to the more hardcore otaku as well as older Super Sentai fans which is definitely something new so I'm very glad to see Toei taking a risk like this! It's geared more towards young adults and hardcore otaku as well as older fans of Super Sentai for a reason! And I like Nobuo Akagi the most because he really reminds me of Gai from Gokaiger, just slightly more enthusiastic and a bit more annoying at times. So I like both!
Last edited by SuperSentaifan4ever on Thu May 10, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
c.connected
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Gransazer

Post by c.connected »

I'm following both but AkibaRanger made me watch every single episode twice. So Akiba got my vote. Masato Wada is incredible fun to watch.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

SuperSentaifan4ever wrote:It's a throwback to the old school Sentai where spandex outfits weren't yet the norm for the series like they have been since Bioman.
*Dynaman

And, I'm gonna vote for the non-existant "both shows are pretty neat" option.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Akibaranger.

Parody aside it's like a 2nd season of Gokaiger with the visiting of past Sentai's. Not only that but this one goes into specific episodes and all kinds of stuff. It's Visually Intresting and I'm wanting to watch it mutiple times! Juu Mousou!! It's just really fun to get into. Right now, Go-Buster just feels like it's trying to hard. Don't get me wrong I actually like the It's morphin time. I think it's cool but it's the kinda cool I went through when MMPR was on the air. So it's kinda already played out.

I really love everything about Akibaranger. I try to find negative parts. But I can't. The only thing i've found negative to say about it is the rumor flying around here saying it's only going to be like 13 episodes.

That'll probably be the only thing bad about this series. We'll get 49 of a show that's just going with the flow because it's their turn vs a show that is giving it everything they got due to fact it has a lot more to prove.
Aldrato
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Aldrato »

Akibaranger, it has all the charisma Go-Busters lacks. The official Sentai is so far very boring and the cast couldn't be any worse.
Pretz
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
Dreamy: Natsumekan
Favorite Actor?: Kurata SAMA!!!
Favorite Band: Janne de Arc
My boom: Maden Senki Ryukendo

Post by Pretz »

This is like apples and oranges. AkibaRanger appeals to a totally different demographic than Go-Busters. Go-Busters is meant to be a throw back series to the more serious days of Tokusatsu, which I'm shocked isn't making the usual "Toku is serious business" group love it. It's writing is solid, it's characters have a reason to do what they're doing instead of being thrown into it. And they have a villain that's actually cold and calculating and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty himself. That and I'd like to remind people that this and Kamen Rider are aimed at an age demo of about 8-12 year old boys and girls. The adult appeal is only placed there so that parents who are forced to get up every morning and watch this aren't bored to tears. It's a tool that has been used since the sixties with cartoons and movies that are aimed at children. For example go back and watch the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie as an adult. I caught so many more random jokes I never even would've gotten until I was older. Same thing with Toku now, Go-busters is doing it right. A lot of the Go-Busters hate I hear is "It's Not Gokaiger, so it sucks!! :P" Sad that Goseiger and Go-Onger got the same treatment because they happened to follow GekiRanger and Shinkenger.

AkibaRanger is aimed at OUR age demo. It's a parody that uses adult humor and splashes it with Tokusatsu tropes in order to appeal to not only the adults whom actually enjoy Sentai/Kamen Rider for it's charms, BUT it appeals to adults whom either find those people funny or just enjoy comedy. Which is exactly what a parody series does. I do agree that this is reminding me of Gokaiger season two as far as the tributes are concerned, which was totally on purpose.

I voted for Go-Busters because it's doing what it's suppose to do as a sentai and is very appealing to me. I love AkibaRanger. But for a different reason entirely.
kanjitech1988
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Too many honestly
Favorite Band: coldrain
My boom: Kamen Rider Fourze

Post by kanjitech1988 »

I went with AkibaRangers. I've watched every episode multiple times and loving every moment of it.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Well Akibaranger has given me something I've wanted since before I knew where Power Rangers came from: A team where the female rangers outnumber the guys (Well, guy, but still.)
Plus Yumeria is awesome.

but GoBusters, on the other hand...

Hiromu isn't a red who solves his problems by screaming. He's also not an Ace in the Kabuto or Decade mold, he's willing to admit to and learn from his mistakes. I've gotta admire that about him, since there's not that much else to get an impression of him from yet.

Ryuji, when he overheated, seemed to start channeling the best character in Ryuki (Another show written by Kobayashi) and possibly the entire Kamen Rider franchise, Takeshi Asakura. And the way he's carried himself since was so older-brotherly, I have an immense respect for him. Plus there's always the possibility he could overheat again, which means I get more OujaBuster...

Youko's a tsundere, through and through, but the episode where Usada was kidnapped showed that she's also rather clever. I expect good things from her in the future.

And then we have Enter.

I'm gonna have to give it to GoBusters.
SuperSentaifan4ever
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Liveman
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by SuperSentaifan4ever »

Aeikozz wrote:Akibaranger.

Parody aside it's like a 2nd season of Gokaiger with the visiting of past Sentai's. Not only that but this one goes into specific episodes and all kinds of stuff. It's Visually Intresting and I'm wanting to watch it mutiple times! Juu Mousou!! It's just really fun to get into. Right now, Go-Buster just feels like it's trying to hard. Don't get me wrong I actually like the It's morphin time. I think it's cool but it's the kinda cool I went through when MMPR was on the air. So it's kinda already played out.

I really love everything about Akibaranger. I try to find negative parts. But I can't. The only thing i've found negative to say about it is the rumor flying around here saying it's only going to be like 13 episodes.

That'll probably be the only thing bad about this series. We'll get 49 of a show that's just going with the flow because it's their turn vs a show that is giving it everything they got due to fact it has a lot more to prove.
Part of the reason why they are using "It's Morphin Time" from MMPR is because Power Rangers is going to be having it's 20th anniversary!
satoru
Humongous
Favorite series: Mebius, Rescue Force
2nd Favorite Series: Blade, 555, Decade
Dreamy: Hibino Mirai
Favorite Actor?: too many...
Favorite Band: Arashi
My boom: Arashi, Tokusatsu

Post by satoru »

I'm gonna have to choose Go-Busters. I think that it's a pretty great show. I like the Go-Busters' characters, even though Youko can be kinda annoying at times (but so can Hiromu). I'm really enjoying watching as the story develops. I wasn't sure that I would like Go-Busters at the start after just finishing Gokaiger, but gave it a chance and now it's really grown on me.
And Enter has easily gained the title of "Most Awesome Toku Villain Ever".
Also, for some reason I still can't manage to watch the first episode of AkibaRanger all the way through...

I've learned when watching toku not to try to compare the current series to the previous. It can ruin the chance to appreciate and enjoy a show that can actually be really good. This is probably one of the reasons why some shows are not liked as much as they could have been. I absolutely loved Shinkenger (my first Sentai series) and then even more so loved Gokaiger, but also think that Goseiger and other shows that followed such great series could have been given more of a chance.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Aeikozz wrote:The only thing i've found negative to say about it is the rumor flying around here saying it's only going to be like 13 episodes.
12 or 13 but, it's not a rumor; that's what the official site said.
SuperSentaifan4ever wrote:Part of the reason why they are using "It's Morphin Time" from MMPR is because Power Rangers is going to be having it's 20th anniversary!
Yeah, I kinda doubt that.
neonkenji21
Infinity
Favorite series: DekaRanger
2nd Favorite Series: MagiRanger
Dreamy: Mele....
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DekaRanger Cosplay!!

Post by neonkenji21 »

I don't like putting one against the other. I enjoy both actually.

Go-Buster does have that other factor regarding a different Sentai season.

AkibaRanger is more "fanservice" too.

I always remember that Super Sentai and Kamen Rider shows are geared for kids mostly. That's why though I'm a fan, I don't take it really seriously. I just enjoy watching the shows.

I get a really big laugh at Akibaranger though, because Akagi & I are almost similar, haha! I am also familiar with most of the references, like Yumeria being a fujoshi, and Mitsuki being a closet fan, since I have friends like that (and yes, I got a few friends that are certified fujoshi).

So I'm voting for neither. Both have their pros and cons, but I enjoy both. :)
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

SuperSentaifan4ever wrote:Part of the reason why they are using "It's Morphin Time" from MMPR is because Power Rangers is going to be having it's 20th anniversary!
I don't think they put it that way because MMPR is having a 20th anniversary, Gokaiger took care of that issues already!
PR is having the anniversary in 2013, what is the chance of Saban using a footage from a show that doesn't finished yet just because it shouts "It's Morphin Time"!
Better still, what is the chance of Saban not using a Gokaiger's footage which seems more like an anniversary show!

Yup, you should use a dot instead of an exclamation mark.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

I tried watching Akibaranger EP 1, but I couldn't get over how weird Red guy was nor how odd the opening was. Maybe I'll give it another try, but I will side with the Go-Busters.

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”