Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking it?

Who ya gonna call?
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< AkibaRanger | Go-Busters | Kyouryuuger >
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking

Post by Lunagel »

I'd have to disagree with that on the principle that most sentai shows bear very little resemblance to the ones that come before or after them. Over a long period of time you start to see similar shows, but when you're talking about a period of 3-5 years, they're going to all be very different. They need to keep changing the formula to keep the kids (and the adults) interested. Sure, Go-Busters didn't have quite the toy sales that Gokaiger did, but that could also be due to the fact that the toys are friggin expensive and we're in the middle of a recession.
bowspearer
Go Go!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by bowspearer »

This isn't about theoretical principles, but about an official statement made by the President of Bandai and run with by at least 2 blog sites (Jefusion and henshin justice).

To quote from Jefusion (Henshin Justice said the same thing in a bullet point):
Additionally, according to reports, with the low sales of the Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters related merchandise, Bandai called the show "dark", and suggested that Kyoryuger will be "lighter" and "fun". Characters are called “strong” and Bandai promises to have a more fun atmosphere.
So clearly the show did perform badly enough that it affected the direction Kyoryuger took.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

That doesn't have anything to do with your first statement of
bowspearer wrote:[..] I love Gokaiger but anyone expecting it to be the norm was always going to be bitterly disapppointed. Gokaiger is the answer to the question of how a Sentai series looks when every second episode is the equivalent of a Super Sentai crossover movie. In many ways Gokaiger has spoiled sentai fans.
though.
bowspearer
Go Go!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by bowspearer »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:That doesn't have anything to do with your first statement of
bowspearer wrote:[..] I love Gokaiger but anyone expecting it to be the norm was always going to be bitterly disapppointed. Gokaiger is the answer to the question of how a Sentai series looks when every second episode is the equivalent of a Super Sentai crossover movie. In many ways Gokaiger has spoiled sentai fans.
though.
On the contrary it is related as a probable causation. The fact is that Gokaiger put whichever show followed it in an impossible position in terms of getting even a remotely favourable comparison. Any show which followed it was going to be in this impossible position - even when, like Go-Busters, from what I've seen so far, it's a fantastic series. That's already going to put a show behind the 8-ball before it's even started. You then have a show take a radically different turn (which btw I loved), including the tone (Gokaiger was much less dark - don't ask me how it managed it with where the plot went at times) and it's just going to make the "it's not Gokaiger" response more pronounced.

The problem is that Bandai and Toei totally outdid themselves in Gokaiger to the point where they were never going to top topping themselves (as they'd launched the bar so high that it orbited Pluto), and it came back to bite them when they did Go-Busters.

Honestly, I'm glad - right now GoBusters' mecha toy prices are fairly low and by the time people rediscover the series and give it a fair chance and love it, I wont have to worry about the then crazily inflated prices on eBay. :P
Lucetia
Gao

Re: Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking it?

Post by Lucetia »

While I know this posted is dated back a few years ago I just wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the series as I finally was able to sit down and watch it from start to finish.

I tried originally watching it back when it aired and again the following year, but I couldn't make it past the first few episodes. It wasn't drawing me in for any reason and just seemed bleh (hadn't fully watched Gokaiger prior to the first few times so that wasn't it). Now that I was able to finally sit down to watch them I felt myself falling right back into the same bleh phase. I try to give a series ten episodes before I make a sound judgement, but this time I pushed myself to make it a bit better. By the time I got to the episode with J and Jin I was glad I stuck with it. For some reason those two changed the dynamic of the show for me and turned it around. Not to mention I liked Matsumoto Hiroya's (Jin) performance in Go-Buster a lot more than I did in MagiRanger. Perhaps it was the way the character was written but I found him a lot more enjoyable this time around.

The original three busters just seemed to serious to me where as J and Jin lightened up the mood. The interaction between the two was great I thought. Hiromu, Ryuuji, and Youko all their buddyroids were there trying to help them when they could and the serious tone towards them (feelings, etc) whereas the interaction between J and Jin was a bit more comical. It wasn't till towards the end you started seeing how much J really cared for Jin even to the point where he didn't want him to do the data infusion.

I liked the twist they took with Enter being the main centric villian rather than Messiah, though parts of it you could see. The part with Escape being constantly remade was a tad annoying and felt like it served as a filler. Though Messiah seemed like they were pumping him up to be this ultimate evil and when push came to shove he was easily dispensed. Granted there were the Messiah cards that Enter took and used and helped him gain his power but I felt that was more on Enter rather than the Messiah cards with how he was easily able to manipulate the entire thing.

I was glad (not in a sadistic way) to see that the people that were teleported thirteen years ago didn't get revived. It felt like if they were it would've lost meaning in the whole thing. Same goes with Jin's sacrifice at the end. That he sacrificed himself to remove the data card and didn't just come back because of "magic" or whatever especially when Enter mentioned he still had his data card.

Other than that the series I think just had a really slow start, for me anyway, but started picking up with the introduction of Jin and J, but I think that had to do with that more could be written in story wise that wouldn't have ruined their introduction sooner. Either way it had it's ups and down and if I was to rate it amongst the others I'd say it'd be in about the middle of the pack. Where it was good in some ways, bad in others but nothing spectacular that stood out to push it towards the top, but not bad enough to drop it down to the bottom. Which if you asked me a couple years when I made it to episode 10 I would've placed it, but after sticking it out I've long since changed my mind on it.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking it?

Post by Catastrophe »

I agree with those points. I really only kept watching just to see what antics Jin and J got up to every week.

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”