Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking it?

Who ya gonna call?
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< AkibaRanger | Go-Busters | Kyouryuuger >
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Re: Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Scopi wrote:Well, examine my head all you want, the similarities ARE there in the basic concept. And I didn't say it was a GOOD or DEEP copy of Evangelion, just that it's an OBVIOUS copy of Evangelion. And having seen no episodes beyond the first, I'm still seeing references to Evangelion-esque concepts in this thread (e.g the post directly before this one, talking about young people sacrificing their youth to fight the enemy), so I don't think they stopped as completely as you say. And that's my point. Evangelion was the proper vehicle for the material. A Sentai series is going to be a lame rip-off f the same unless they drop the formula completely, which obviously didn't happen.
"Young people dedicating their lives to the fight against evil? Definitely an Evangelion rip-off!" For the love of-

You can't claim one series is a rip-off of another (to the point of not being worth watching if you've seen the one that came first, even) based on some similarities between first episodes (That you're apparently remembering wrong; Hiromu didn't need to be convinced to join the fight. He just needed to tell his sister about it first.) alone.

If you don't want to watch it, that's just fine. If you want to talk about it, though, you're going to have to watch it, or else you'll just be talking out of your ass.
Twilight_Bard
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by Twilight_Bard »

I think, for me, it's a combination of, characters, and the world. The characters is easy enough. It's not, that they're unrelatable, it's that, the only person that I can actually say I remotely like is Ryuji. He's a decent person, he doesn't come off as an ass, but as an older brother character, and his weakness works. His strength and weakness go hand and hand in a nice way. Hiromu is well, an ass, he's way too full of himself and he comes off as grating, and his weakness has been abused because they have to drive it home, it honestly feels like halfway through the series, Yuko will be eating candy still, Ryuji will still need cooling down...and we won't see a damn chicken for miles. Yoko...honestly while she doesn't annoy me, I don't really feel like the way she's presented has brought anything to the show, her and Hiromu are honestly the blank slates that you see, but it's very obvious when we strip the flaws away.

The Buddyroids...something about Nick...makes me wonder why they couldn't program a GPS into him because I can't imagine a robot having that kind of direction problems.

As far as the world goes...Honestly after the hospital incident it seemed that the writers realized that Enter is too smart and too subtle and have had to actively work against him. The hospital should have had an outside line especially for what it was. The railroad though, has actual power lines...I don't know, it just doesn't seem consistant. As far as I've seen, the Go-Busters have had 1 actual victory (saving Usada) where they came up with a good plan and executed it...and have far too many loss marks for me to count.

My problems with it don't stem from Gokaiger, or any other series, it's just the small odds and ends that really don't connect right, like trying to put the wrong pieces of a puzzle together that just barely have some way of fitting.
ponkan
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Shinken, Blade, Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Time, Akiba, GARO
Dreamy: Time Pink!
Favorite Actor?: Setsuko Hara
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Alignment: Neutral
Quote: "Don't smoke too much, drink too much, eat too much or work too much. We're all on the road to the grave -- but there's no need to be in the passing lane. " - Robert Orben
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ponkan »

for me, go-busters is good, storywise and plotwise. i've been watching the series since the beginning and as a super sentai enthusiast whose really craving for a good series, i'm really hooked up. but just as mentioned in above posts, i think most in the community is expecting much more from them, since this is a post-anniversary presentation and a successor of the much more favored gokaiger. another reason i guess is the changes from the usual super sentai formula (lesser roll calls, no transformation stock footage etc. more like kamen rider-esque than super sentai.) which is for me, a very good one since i want fresh ideas for a 36 year old franchise. unfortunately, most of the devoted and hardcore SS fans are not conformed to this so they definitely shrugged the show. the cast have been another contributing factor, they are less memorable and charming than their predecessors. i admit commander kuroki (played by hideo sakaki) is a bit annoying especially when he's mad or screaming (?). i liked him in his movies, especially in ryuhei kitamura's versus which he played an antagonist role, but he didn't shine up in this series unfortunately. but that's my only nitpick. overall, go-busters is a good addition to the growing super sentai franchise. the story so far is engaging (thanks to yasuko kobayashi, the same writer of another fan favorite shinkenger.) and i can't wait for beet and stagbuster to arrive soon.
"My heart goes GABU GABU!"
Shado Kabuto
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Faiz Kabuto Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O Deka Magi Bou

Post by Shado Kabuto »

I haven't really watch Go-Busters after watching the first episode and I thought it had a nice promising start and had some cool PR references like when they saying '' Morphin'' while transforming. It just that I haven't been able to set aside to watch it because I'm been watching lot of older anime series. Most people aren't liking it because is that is not like the past sentai shows like Boukenger, Dekaranger, and so-on and to my knowledge, Go-Busters is more catered to the old-school type of Super Sentai. It's not a bad show or anything, it just doesn't follow the usual formula of Super Sentai.
I walk the path of HEAVENS
Thanks Guile for the Kabuto Avy's and Signatures
thanks bauffie for the sig.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

In my opinion, Go-Busters isn't bad, but it is starting off slow. We haven't seen any major character development as of now. Hiromu and Youko really haven't been developing much since the first episode. I like how Enter is a pretty crafty villian though.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

I plan on giving it a go (ha ha) actually. Haven't really watched a sentai series since Magiranger. It was around then that I found Kamen Rider
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

Just randomly dropping by after watching some of T-N releases (thanks for the hard work, by the way).

I'm hardly a sentai expert, but I think that the problem is not the fact of coming after Gokaiger.
Gokaiger was good not just for the power-switching and all the gattai, but what I really liked was the cast and the characters.
Any lesser quality cast would have ruined the whole thing.

So yeah, the story in Go-Busters is pretty good (power sources was a perfect subject) and the 'normal' hi-tech stuff too.
Even the enemies are fine, they have a clearly defined goal and they seem credible enough.
The problem, imo, is that the Go-Busters are not stealing the show.

Maybe watching more than a few episodes will change my point of view as someone is saying it has a slow start, but honestly I'd prefer to watch Zyuranger atm. Or some more Kamen Rider.
Probably both in a very customized supa hiro taimu...T-N is spoiling me.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I love this series, actually. I always seem to like what I get when Yasuko Kobayashi is writing it, and this is no exception. Even before I knew she was the writer, this series jumped up into what WAS my top 3, turning it into my top 4 (if anyone's confused, it's not that I only like 3 other Sentai series besides Go-Busters. I'm just referring to all the ones that tie for first place in my personal rankings) in just a couple of episodes, and I can't wait to see just where this series goes.

I love Enter as a villain because he's actually competent, and even succeeds at times. Unlike with other villains where defeating the monster of the week and then the giant version was considered a "curses! foiled again!" moment, Enter runs it so that even if they beat the things, he still accomplishes a goal that furthers his cause, has the mindset of "yeah, the Go-Busters might win, but if they don't, then bonus!", and even despite being so much better at his job than many past villains, he also gives the impression he may not always care about the main goal because he's having too much fun just wrecking stuff up. I like competent enemies. I like crazy enemies. So I LOVE that Enter is both and keeps those two sides of himself balanced so effectively.

I like the Buster Machines, too, because they feel like regular Transformers combined with Transformers Beast Wars/Machines, Ace is a triple changer, which is always cool, and I just really love that there's a rabbit. I love rabbits. Go-Buster-Oh may not be too super dynamic in its fights, but it looks cool, and I have a tendency to forgive robots to a certain extent if their design is cool.

It's slowed down in recent episodes, but I like that they did henshins without using stock footage. Much as I enjoy a cool transformation sequence, seeing stock footage all the time eventually grows a bit old.

The good guys are fun, since we actually see the need for engineers and such for the giant robots, rather than just "we have a giant robot. it's always repaired the next time we have a battle. No, we won't explain whether or not it takes effort or just happens by magic." They even take time to show the other team members as actual people, rather than just set dressing. The main team is neat. I always enjoy seeing the Busters and their Buddyroids bounce off each other as they learn and grow, the boss isn't just some nice guy, which makes it fun to realize you have to root for a jerk, and the two assistants are entertaining in their own ways.

Lastly, I love the Metaroids and Megazords. The Megazords always look interesting in how they incorporate elements of the Metaroids into a pre-existing, mass produced design. The Metaroids are just plain awesome, taking simple objects (or a train) and turning them into a cool looking humanoid enemy (seriously, these are some of my favorite MotW designs in a while, particular examples as of the time I write this include Densharoid and Fanroid), and I always enjoy hearing the onomatopoeia, like Drillroid's whirring or Densharoid's "Ga-dan Ga-don".
friendlyquark
7X
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Bruce Banner
Favorite Actor?: Jet Li
Favorite Band: Imogen Heap
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: writing
Quote: Ca va, go-busters?

Post by friendlyquark »

It may not be standard SS, but I like it. The characters are growing on me, Youko especially. I like Enter, I am enjoying the fight sequences a lot, and I think that given time, it will be really good. So far the writing hasn't failed me, no Jealoushitto-type characters or episodes where I want to bang my head into a table. (Though I admit he grew on me as well, by the end.) So, I'm going to keep watching and see where they go with this.

If people aren't connecting, well, Captain Marvelous is a hard act to follow. :)
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

After so many episodes I think I have come to a conclusion why I do not like this show. Like Goseingers, but not to that bad of a degree, the actors just don't seem to have any chemistry between them. Their acting to me just feels like a limp noodle. THe only exception is Enter. When he enters I am really paying attention. I love Enter, and he is the reason I am watching the season.

Does the past series play a role in how I feel about this sentai? Nope, not beyond beyond missing (or praising) the old series is gone. Also I give it the first five episode rule before I really file it in the I don't like catigory. Could my views change? Certiantly, I did with Fourze.
CeronosLive
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by CeronosLive »

I really don't understand the hate. I'd understand the 'Meh', but there's a surprising amount of hate here. o no;

I loved the show since it felt pretty different and introduced a lot of concepts and ideas that were interesting to me that I haven't quite seen in Sentai I've seen before. Of course it's not without it's flaws as unfortunately unlike Gokaiger before, not all the characters are likable. But to be honest, there's a lot of Sentai seasons where there's a lot of hit and miss with the characters, or at least with me. So while shows like Shinkenger and Gokaiger spoiled me with an all around good cast, I'm not going to turn my back on Go-Buster since there's a few characters I don't like.

And for the people who talk about the series using stock footage... Have you not seen a Super Sentai show before? There were quite a few times where I think they used stock footage from the 90's.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

I don't hate Gobusters (or any Sentai for that matter). But I'd like to offer another possible reason for why some people might not like it. The Buddyroids give off something of a "Ryoutarou's Imagin vibe". Which is understandable, as Den-O and Gobusters are both written by Yasuko Kobayashi.

I don't hate Den-O, either. In fact, I'm probably part of a small subsection of fans who have always looked forward to the next Den-O movie. But a lot of people have gotten tired of all the Den-O movies and the numerous guest appearances of Ryoutarou's Imagin, and some of this may have rubbed off on Gobusters, whether the fans have noticed or not.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I hadn't thought about it before, but yeah, I definitely get a Den-O vibe from the Buddyroids now that you mention it. Now while I do love Den-O the series, the numerous movies and cameos of the Imagin have basically negated any credibility the laws of that world had in the series. I think deep down we're all afraid that someone will create a new Den-O and then we'll be subjected to it for the next 5 years.
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

Lunagel wrote:I hadn't thought about it before, but yeah, I definitely get a Den-O vibe from the Buddyroids
Since episode one i have had only one thought in my head whenever i see Nick, and that is "Sword Form". Even the movements are similar.

Not to mention that J Stag is basically a strange cyborg cross between Deneb and Momo.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

J's only really like Deneb in the abuse he takes from his partner. Gorisaki's closer to how Deneb was as an individual.

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”