2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Re: Go-Busters 31 released

Post by butyoumight »

I for one was really amused by new Gavan attacking Nick out of left field, since Asai Kousuke is the suit actor for both of them XD Maybe I'm just easily amused by suit actor shenanigans.

Is anyone surprised that I'm glad Enter's alive (if not looking particularly well)? No? Of course not.
Sarcastic_Jamie
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ikuta Toma
Favorite Actor?: Ikuta Toma
Favorite Band: Shinee,2pm
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Glee
Quote: Life's a bitch and she has puppies.

Post by Sarcastic_Jamie »

Yay Kotoha is back but she's less useful here than in skinkenger, for a role of a space sheriff sidekick she should be more fierce Like Shaider's partner.

The new Gavan looked familiar that it took me 20 minutes to figure out where he was from.

Ishigaki Yuuma Who played Tennouji in the Japanese version of Hanazakari no Kimitachi e. Where Mizushima Hiro also starred in. and Bouken Red.
Darren Criss is my future baby's Daddy.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Jamie! <3

I agree on her being useless. Annie was awesome in that she did jump into combat rather than play damsel in distress.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Oh damn I knew I'd seen him somewhere before!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Oh look, there's this thing called a wiki which has a page for the new Gavan actor: http://www.wolfinspace.com/wiki/Ishigaki_Yuuma.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote:Most of this episode just kinda had me going "Huh? What? Why?"
Ditto to that. Stuff just sort of happened, which meant there wasn't a lot of exposition.

So what's with Toei's sudden fascination with Gavan, anyhow? I get that the movie is coming up, but I mean it as a more general question. Short of the Gokaiger movie, Metal Heroes has been dead for many years now. I guess the Gokaiger movie was popular enough to warrant more Gavan movies? Or are they planning something else?
Last edited by ViRGE on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Gavin? Mayor Gavin Newsom?

Think like an executive. "How can we make more money? Let's expand on the hero genre beyond Riders and Sentai." We see this in Let's Go Kamen Rider, when for no other reason besides they can, they threw in a bunch of extraneous heroes who serve no purpose besides to go "Oh yeah, there are other heroes besides Riders".

Flash forward it a bit. They're bringing back Ohba Kenji for his Sentai roles. "This guy did Gavan. Maybe we should have a Gavan crossover. The crossover movie seemed to do okay. Maybe we should make a new movie for Gavan" It really does seem like the upcoming movie is a testing bed to see if a new Metal Heroes TV series is feasible.

Honestly, the cross promotion stuff is pretty effective. I didn't care about Metal Hero stuff till I saw him in Gokaiger. I mean, I still sort of don't. But maybe the upcoming movie will be good? There certainly are a lot of familiar faces in it.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:Gavin? Mayor Gavin Newsom?
Everyone's a critic. :P

Anyhow, I am trying to think like an executive. To that end I'm just not sure how a one-off movie is going to turn a profit, which is why I'm surprised by Toei's recent interest in Gavan. Having a TV series would seem to be a prerequisite for a successful movie, or rather the movie is a nice way to further cash in on an already active and profitable franchise. In lieu of that crossover episodes help I'm sure, but it's not the same.

And I certainly hope it's a good movie; Ohba Kenji deserves it. But then you had to go and mention Let's Go Kamen Riders... :?
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

takenoko wrote:Think like an executive. "How can we make more money? Let's expand on the hero genre beyond Riders and Sentai." We see this in Let's Go Kamen Rider, when for no other reason besides they can, they threw in a bunch of extraneous heroes who serve no purpose besides to go "Oh yeah, there are other heroes besides Riders".
The 'other heroes' that appeared in Let's Go; Inazuman, Zubat, Kikaider and Kikaider 01.

They are all Ishinomori's creations. I took their appearance as yet another homage to Ishinomori Shoutarou, the mastermind behind Kamen Rider.

I can agree with a lot of the criticism and comments made, but I personally enjoyed the episode.

Shelly and Youko interacting is funny and cute on a meta level, with Suzuka Morita being a Yellow Sentai member herself. Rather than two fictional characters interacting, it seemed more of the actors themselves just hanging out and eating sweets together, and possibly exchanging stories and experiences of being in Sentai. To be honest, I really wondered the purpose of having that much scene with Shelly, and only having Geki appear later.

Even with having a new Gavan and assistant, everything about Gavan still felt, and looked really retro. And to be honest, I don't really mind. I really like Geki, and how quickly it's established that he's his own Gavan, and not just a younger ikemen copy of Retsu. He managed to be brash and confident without being obnoxious. I really like his fighting style; it's quick, fierce and brawly but has precision and form. A combination of street fighting and martial arts. Ishigaki Yuuma demonstrated the difference between actors proficient in martial arts and actors who are not. His movement has speed and ferocity that RedBuster's actor didn't, and the difference is really noticeable.

I also really liked all the retro 80's music heard throughout the episode, which all amounts to the Gavan theme song played during the battle at the end.

Also, something's wrong with Enter. He seems to be more demented than before, just creepily standing there plotting his next move without so much of a short quip.
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Holy crap Enter's gone crazy evil due to his master/ pet's destruction. Nice potrayal there Jinnai Sho.

Guess after the end of the Legend War, Kotoha hung up her Shinkenmaru for good. Nevertheless, still cute as ever. And yay for 3 Yellow Sentai in 1 episode.

So all the Dormitory Heads have featured in different types of Toku. Dorm 1 leads by a Metal Hero revivalist, Dorm 2 heads by a Kamen Rider leads anniversary, while Dorm 3 heads by Ninpuu Sentai member. Now I'm waiting for someone to edit that extra clip of Hana Kimi's 12th ep.

Is it just me or Yuuma Ishigaki seems a bit thinner than in Hana Kimi? He seems bulky and muscular a bit back then.

Jin, your checking of Shelly is too obvious. Self-control, man. hahah
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

ReversedSentai wrote:I'm wondering what's the story behind the old Ohba Kenji Gavan with the new Gavan. Also, it's nice to see Kotoha again.
i think it is explained in the movie.
m4rc0 wrote:
Since they introduced a new actor for Gavan (the guy knows how to fight and he does a good job playing an action hero), they should've used the opportunity to redesign the armor, the bike and the ship. They aren't bad, but they look too old fashioned.
Actually, i think they did redesign the armor
ViRGE wrote: Anyhow, I am trying to think like an executive. To that end I'm just not sure how a one-off movie is going to turn a profit, which is why I'm surprised by Toei's recent interest in Gavan. Having a TV series would seem to be a prerequisite for a successful movie, or rather the movie is a nice way to further cash in on an already active and profitable franchise. In lieu of that crossover episodes help I'm sure, but it's not the same.
You also have to remember the success marvel has had the last years with the marvel cinematic universe.

I don't know so i'm not saying, but maybe the idea of reviving the franchise has been for some years now, not something that appear out of nowhere, but it never took off because they tought it wouldn't sell.
And when Gokaiger appeared, they saw that they could make a crossover and, since the gokaigers were gonna appear in the movie as well, it would be a safe bet to see if gavan could or couldn't be revived.

I don't complain about the idea of another franchise to get money from...mainly because i watch these shows for free, so i don't have the right to complain about capitalism or whatever. And second, if the show is good, they can get all the money they want, for all i care, as long as they keep producing shows of quality.

i liked the episode. but it would have been a lame crossover if it was only a stand-alone episode.
Loved the handwave about the makuu dimension making enemies stronger.
SirJokaPlaya
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by SirJokaPlaya »

I enjoyed this mini Go-Busters vs Gavan episode. I'm also glad Toei kept the original oundtrack from the original 1982 series after the Jouchaku sequence made by composer Hiroaki Watanabe. I got to listen to the Gavan 2012 theme again since I don't know if I like it or hate it. It's like a remix version of the classic theme. Just glad Akira Kushida sung it, no one else. I'm just hoping that Sharivan and Shaider might make a appearance on the next episode, even as a cameo. I love how the suits looks 30 years later.
Secret Identity
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Super Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Secret Identity »

I enjoyed this. My first impression of the new Gavan was that he was a jerk, but he actually managed to prove me wrong by the end.

They remixed the Gavan theme song. Why? It was awesome as it was.

The sound stopped after Kuroki accepted Gavan's proposal. Did this happen to anyone else?
Currently Watching:
Ninninger, Drive, Ghost
Quetzalcoatl
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Kumbia Kings
My boom: Lowriders
Quote: "Chicanos killing Chicanos is what they want! Blacks and Chicanos killing each other is what they want! That's how they run this place. Once we get together they don't run shit!"

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

An amazing episode it totally rocked hard. Nice to see geki in action. I was afraid that the character might be too cocky at first but its turn out all right. Still its really hyping me up to go back in time and watch the Original Space Sherrif Gavan Series and learn more about it.

Am I the only one that though that Double Rhino used a Dark Nebula? lol! I know isn't the same but the effect is almost the same! :P

I get they didn't want to change Gavan's suit too much (new lights are nice, I think a little bit more could have been done overall).... but that bike.... lol Im guessing they didn't want to ruin the spirit of Gavan.
eigorisu
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: W
My boom: Transformers

Post by eigorisu »

so its good to see Gavan back, even if it is a new guy. i liked him though, he hits enough 'badass' notes. the bike being a bit 70's looking... actually worked for me, it was a nice throwback to his roots (though an eventual update wouldn't go amiss either). Shelly was a bit annoying, but at least she showed she can do a little bit of fighting when it comes to it, even if she did turn into a hummingbird and fly away while gavan and red were doing their henshin into battle. i just thought the juxtaposition of that scene was funny.

the only thing that really bothered me was gavans suit. there are very obviously two versions that the suit actor wears (not counting the one with the electronics for the light-up effects); one is the chromed up one for close-up shots, poses, etc; the other is a grey with painted on detail that's very obviously made of soft padding to allow the actor to actually move around for running/fighting etc. it was painfully obvious in certain shots though, and really irked me. you could se the wrinkles in the thing as the padded grey bits were bending/creasing when he ran!

but yay for a quarry fight! and the medical dummy/skeleton monsters were genuinely creepy/scary.

i do wish nick would at least try to take on some of the buglars though. he has machine-gun arms and is the one who suposedly tought hiromu how to fight, so you'd think he'd at least have some basic ability. oh well.

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”