< AkibaRanger | Go-Busters | Kyouryuuger >
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

The involvement of Gavan in Gobusters

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Something else that was brought up has to do with the GoBusters meeting with Space Sheriff Gavan. I haven't seen the episodes yet, but I can understand what is being done in this respect.

With the movie Gokaiger vs Gavan, they were doing something different since the main series of Gokaiger was a full on anniversary special for Super Sentai, and they already had a sorta Gokaiger vs. Goseiger movie with 199 Heroes. Since it was also marking the 30th anniversary of the long dead Metal Heroes subgenre of Tokusatsu, I think it was a means to not only honor the Metal Heroes, but also test the waters to see if today's audiences would like the Metal Hero genre and if older audiences would also respond in kind. Turns out it worked, and plans are being made for a revival of Space Sheriff Gavan, with a new movie that has the torch being passed to a successor.

Now, I'm thinking that Gavan's appearance in GoBuster could be another method for testing the waters, and also to perhaps get people excited about the revival of the Metal Heroes genre.

Is it a marketing ploy? Unfortunately yes. Does it seem out of place? Yes. Will it work? Of course it will.
HW-DiEnd
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Luka Milfly
Favorite Actor?: Anna Nagata
Favorite Band: Motörhead
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Yorozuya Gin-Chan
Quote: "The world is a lonely place,you're on your own..."

Re: The involvement of Gavan in Gobusters

Post by HW-DiEnd »

Gavan cameos in Go-Busters was to promote the Uchuu Keiji Gavan new movie,with a new actor instead of Kenji Ohba.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Personally, I thought using Gavan in Gokai (as a Space Sheriff going after Space pirates) made a heck of a lot more sense and felt more natural than using him in Go-busters.

Seriously, what does a Space Sheriff have to do with...... stuck-on-Earth super spies?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Sexy_RoboVoice wrote:Is it a marketing ploy? Unfortunately yes. Does it seem out of place? Yes. Will it work? Of course it will.
I don't know about that, I was sort of getting interested in the Gavan movie, but I was really put off by the character appearances in Go-Busters. They just came off as really unlikeable and flat.

Although the stuff with Youko and Sherry constantly making eyes at each other is kind of funny in the meta sense. A lot of the decisions that went into it just came off as being really weird to me.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

He had the "I'm a jerk" kind of vibe, but then that was never addressed as he quickly got to work with the team. I agree with Take though, he really didn't do anything that made him stick out, was just kind of there.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I only said it was a marketing ploy, i never said it made sense. Then again it makes as much sense as anything else featured in tokusatsu. *shrugs* whether it makes sense or not, im keeping an open mind and that the reasoning behind it works out in the long run and hope the revival of Gavan will lead to a revival of the Metal Hero genre itself.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Of course it was a marketing ploy, but it also worked in a story perspective.

Gaven and Ultraman shares the same universe as Sentai, and Kamen Riders I'm assuming are from a diferent dimension. I find it hard to believe that Super Sentai are the only superheroes in the world. At least with Gaven, The hero in question is from space so we dont see him.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Why you think Gavan and Ultraman are in the same universe especially when Ultraman isn't even a Toei property?
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Post by Lunchboxx »

It might of not been Ultraman I was thinking of, my bad. I just remember another hero from another series that made a appearence in one of the earliest sentai movies.

EDIT: It was Kikaider, NOT Ultraman. I had the names mixed up. Kikaider was in JAKQ VS Gorenger, and made references to Kamen Rider V3 and Amazon
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

Lunchboxx wrote:It was Kikaider, NOT Ultraman. I had the names mixed up. Kikaider was in JAKQ VS Gorenger, and made references to Kamen Rider V3 and Amazon
That is due to the fact that all of those characters belong to the Ishinomori-verse, as unbelievable as it seems Kamen Rider, Goranger, JAQK, Kikaider, Inazuman, Cyborg 009, Robot Detective, Uchuu Tetsujin Kyodain, Kaiketsu Zubat and a long long etc.... all existed in the same continuity, which makes me think that Ishinomori was planning to make the greatest crossover in the history of forever at some point, but never did because the world just wasn´t ready.

Though, there was also that crossover between Kamen Rider and Ultraman. I have to watch that before i die. WE all have to.

As for the Gavan Crossover, i think it worked great with gokaiger because that show was, at its core, a big celebration/homage to Super Sentai. Gokaiger vs Gavan worked because it managed to be a celebration of Gavan/Metal Heroes while at the same time having good character moments. And Kenji Oba.

Things didn´t really worked with Go-Busters because the show is so fundamentally different from Gokaiger that using the Homage/tribute approach just wouldn´t work, and given the two completely different setting the shows use (Space police and Spies) it was hard to create a believable setting for those episodes, so at the end all that was left was the 'promote the movie' aspect.

I won´t lie, i didn´t liked those episodes, the new Gavan was barely in them having him fighting along side the Go-Busters just wasn´t all that cool. If you ask me, the Gavan cameo in the HBV worked better than this.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander

Post by Lunchboxx »

Ivanhobe wrote:
Lunchboxx wrote:It was Kikaider, NOT Ultraman. I had the names mixed up. Kikaider was in JAKQ VS Gorenger, and made references to Kamen Rider V3 and Amazon
That is due to the fact that all of those characters belong to the Ishinomori-verse, as unbelievable as it seems Kamen Rider, Goranger, JAQK, Kikaider, Inazuman, Cyborg 009, Robot Detective, Uchuu Tetsujin Kyodain, Kaiketsu Zubat and a long long etc.... all existed in the same continuity, which makes me think that Ishinomori was planning to make the greatest crossover in the history of forever at some point, but never did because the world just wasn´t ready.
Meh, It's still hard for me to believe that Super Sentai is the ONLY kind of Super Heroes in the show's universe. Same goes for other countries besides Japan, what about America? or Britain? or Australia?

It just makes you think is all I'm saying.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think your obsession with trying to figure out if things are the same universe probably comes from American comics where you have a bunch of heroes in the same universe. Japan doesn't really have something with that. You have stuff that's related but that's because it came from the same author. Most of it is just independent of each other which is just fine. There shouldn't be this need of trying to connect everything because it's not supposed to related at all.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander

Post by Lunchboxx »

Meh, I can dream cant I?
HW-DiEnd
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Luka Milfly
Favorite Actor?: Anna Nagata
Favorite Band: Motörhead
My boom: Yorozuya Gin-Chan
Quote: "The world is a lonely place,you're on your own..."

Post by HW-DiEnd »

Lunchboxx wrote:

Meh, It's still hard for me to believe that Super Sentai is the ONLY kind of Super Heroes in the show's universe. Same goes for other countries besides Japan, what about America? or Britain? or Australia?

It just makes you think is all I'm saying.

Kikaider also appeared in the OOO,Den-O,All Riders, Let's Go Kamen Riders movie, so he can travel through worlds?Like Decade did?

Or it's because he's a hero from Ishinomori Productions?
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

HW-DiEnd wrote: Or it's because he's a hero from Ishinomori Productions?
This should answer your question:

Spoiler

But yeah, all the characters from that scene in Let´s Go Kamen Rider are characters created by Ishinomori, though if you ask me that scenes falls short, but mostly because Ishinomori created an insane ammount of characters (i think he even holds a record or something).
Lunchboxx wrote:Meh, It's still hard for me to believe that Super Sentai is the ONLY kind of Super Heroes in the show's universe.
Forget about the heroes, the real problem is the villains, i just find it hard to believe that Shocker, BAD, Shadow, the Black Cross Army, and a loooong etc. all exist and try to conquer the same world.

I guess that is one big difference between Japanese heroes and American heroes, in japan Super Heroes don´t fight individual villains, they always fight against large organizations.

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”