Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Buster Hercules versus Buster Herakles

Post by takenoko »

I recently received a PM that I felt might be of more general interest, so I'm reposting my response here.

The PM originally asked why we went with Buster Hercules, even though the Greek pronunciation is clearly Herakles, the Greek version of the name.
takenoko wrote:Heh, you're not the only one who noticed that. This is a case where the Japanese/Greek pronunciation doesn't work. From what I can tell, the Japanese consistently use the Herakles Beetle pronunciation for Hercules Beetle, which is what the mecha is named after. And I wasn't able to find any examples of Herakles Beetle, which is why I decided to ignore pronunciation to go the intended meaning this time. This was noticed in the QC stage and I gave the same explanation there too.

Good observation though. I don't know how many of our viewers actually pay attention to the subtleties of the language like that.
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Re: Buster Hercules versus Buster Herakles

Post by butyoumight »

You know, I always wondered the same thing, but I just let it slide because I figured it was a choice. I didn't know that was the consistent Japanese pronunciation, though! Thank you :3
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah. It looks like Hercules uses the roman pronunciation in Portuguese, so I'm not sure why there's so many Greek pronunciations in Japanese. But I'm guessing they used Herakles first, so when Hercules Beetle came around, they just said "These two are the same word".

Interestingly, they do have a katakana spelling for the Hercules pronunciation in my dictionary:
ハーキュリーズ (n) Hercules, (P)

As well as a missile called Nike Hercules? Huh, that's obscure. Plus it uses a Greek word and a Roman word.
ナイキハーキュリーズ (n) Nike Hercules, (P)
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I'm glad to see this explained. I often thought about that, but didn't want to get into a debate over it.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I have a friend who is a Professor in the classics department at the University I work at. He has told me that despite the fact the common spelling is the Roman version (Hercules), which is found in most texts for teaching purposes, all Classicists will pronounce it Heracles (Or Herakles or whatever), which comes from Hera (the Greek goddess) and kleos meaning glory.

Yep. I was that concerned about it I asked him pretty much as soon as possible after Buster Hercules debut last year.
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

Lol, "those two are the same word." I have a couple of Greek friends that would be annoyed by that.

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”