Kamen Rider Wizard 01 released

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizaaaaard
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Fourze | Wizard | Gaim >

So what's your initial impressions of Wizard?

It's great, I'm on board.
58%
It's good, but I'll need to see more to decide.
28%
It's just okay, but I'll keep watching before deciding
14%
Meh, not for me.
No votes

Total votes: 118
stalydan
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Tendou (Kabuto)
Favorite Band: Versailles
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Now, count up your sins!

Re: Kamen Rider Wizard 01 released

Post by stalydan »

Catastrophe wrote:I was thinking as to why the belt says Please all the time, but then I remembered Please is the magic word...
Ahhh! I see what they did there now! Very clever.

I liked it as a first episode. It's not set up any definite expectations for the rest of the series yet but I have an idea with what a typical episode will be like "Find a Gate, stop Phantoms from killing Gate". I'm sure they'll be more to them than that but it sounds good.

Henshin sequence is actually what I thought it would be funnily enough. Not so much the exact direction but I thought it would involve him walking through a magic seal or a seal passing through him. Typical magical henshin but it looked very cool. Very weird though that the eyes didn't light up when he transformed but that's only because I'm so used to it. The gem on his head did though so I wasn't completely weird-ed out by that.

Dragon was cool. Also nice to see it's not actually a tamed beast and that he had to get it under his control before he could fly it. Could be interesting for future episodes to maybe delve into that a bit more.

Interested to see more of Haruto as a character than as a rider. I'm sure he'll be developed over time but right now I'm not too sure what I think about him.

Rinko was also cool. Will definitely be interested in seeing how she is developed as a character. I also have a sneaking suspicion that if any of the cast was to become the secondary rider of this show rather than introduced nearer the time when the rider has already appeared or is about to, Rinko is likely to become it. It would fit those lines that she has about wanting to help people bit can't because she's not a mage and I feel like in a show like this is turning out to be, a female rider is a bit more likely.

Fight scenes were great. It reminded me of Kiva in parts which isn't a bad thing because it's my (current) third favourite Kamen Rider series. The flips were very different compared to a lot of the previous series I've seen. Can't wait to see more of them, especially with some more focus on the other forms. Flame Style is cool but I'm interested see how the others compare to it.
Devilbat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade/W

Post by Devilbat »

Am I the only one who loved Wizard right off the bat? The story direction, fight scenes, and CG were all top notch (at least by Toei standards). All the characters were likable especially Haruto, he just gives off this cool vibe. I'm glad to see the disc animals from Hibiki and candroids from OOO getting fused to get what we have here. The story seems darker in Wizard which something I think we desperately need after the light hearted fiesta that was Fourze. The stand by henshin song and spell cast/finisher song were both catchy as hell (at least to me) and I love them already, not to mention the absolutely bad ass henshin sequence.

All in all it looks like we're in for an awesome Kamen Rider series this year.
Last edited by Devilbat on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's... showtime." -Haruto Souma/Kamen Rider Wizard

HyperDrake
Gabu
Favorite series: BLADE
2nd Favorite Series: KUUGA
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: "Rotten branches weaken even a great tree."

Post by HyperDrake »

After re-watching and making comparison to all first episodes of Heisei KR series again, I can vouch that Wizard is the coolest one, in my personal opinion, due to its fast paced action and at the same time still managed to introduce us to many crucial things such as the origin of the Phantoms which are linked to the Gates, multiple forms, three finishers, etc. The way the hero bursting through the wall riding on his bike in his first action looks bad ass and it reminds me with how Black did the same in KR Black opening credits.

Anyway, speaking about the Gates, this concept reminds me with Den-O in the way they enter their prey, but this time, the location is their mind. The Gates reminds me with Agito too, in how the monsters are only targeting specific people. Here we don't deal with people with supernatural powers but ones with high magic potential instead.

>> The enemy:
- Ghuls. This series' lackeys. I've heard about GhOuls before in horror or mystery stories before, but not Ghuls.
- The Phantoms. I love the monster design of Phoenix and his human form looks quite bad ass too. The human form of Medusa chick looks hot. I took a liking to her already. I hope the Phantoms have a kind of free-spirited attitude much like how they portrayed the Grongi, the Royal Club Undead, or the Greeed but still adhering to their grand initial objective.
The Phantoms have serious deal going on here. They kill ordinary humans or turning Gates into another Phantoms for that so called Wiseman's Sabbath. It seems to me that once the Gates have succumbed into despair and been taken over by the Phantoms inside them, the host/Gates are dead. The Phantoms are still able to assume the late human host form though. Rinko was indeed lucky. Her sempai, not so lucky.

I'm just glad that I won't have to see any more brats turning into monsters coz of their mere selfish reasons such as getting rejected by girls or getting disturbed while painting, coz that's the highest and divine level of lame IMO.

>> The main characters:
- Haruto/Wizard. He looks okay for a hero. I have to wait for more eps. before commenting further regarding his personality.
I just hope that he rides his bike more often now that he has that Connect Ring. I'm tired of watching kamen riders rarely riding on their bikes. The last time kamen riders really put their bikes to good use was KR Blade series' riders.
I love the way he only utilizes a buckle driver and ONE henshin ring to transform. This fact serves to end and bury some people's hope to see him transform using FIVE rings continuing the post-decade riders' legacy.
I Love his fighting style. I like how he uses his power for his own convenience (eating doughnut & getting his bike) and the way he uses his weapon without having to transform reminds me with Terui. FFXIII's Lightning's Gunblade is what crossed my mind when I see Haruto's weapon.
- Koyomi. Makon looks really cute in this series.
Spoiler

- Rinko. Yuko've become prettier since I last saw her in Futatsu no Spica and Piece Vote. She did great in both. I expect another great performance from her.

>> Plamonsters:
The way the Unicorn acts and sounds like a regular horse is great. I've had enough of riders' animal gadgets generating weird sound effects and I just hope that there won't be animal-gadget-spamming this time like they did in Hibiki or OOO. One Plamonster each for each species is enough. If one got broken just leave it to the old guy. Well, this Plamonsters concept was derived from familiars and not just mere animals, after all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arigomi wrote:Having Rinko suddenly go into deep emotional turmoil over her shattered keepsake was hilarious for me in terms of dark humor.
I think that sudden deep emotional turmoil only happens when it involves the Phantoms as the perp. and the Gates as the victim. Ordinary human aka non-Gates won't generate such condition, I think. That's why Phantoms're only targeting Gates which have higher probability than ordinary humans to transform into new Phantoms.
Catastrophe wrote:I doubt it. It's probably a rock wall in Ground form, but like a fire wall or something similar in Flame Style.
That's more than likely. But, it's nice to think that there's exclusive Rings that can only be accessed in certain Style though. Let's just wait.
Gottis wrote:All in all, I'm feeling rather unimpressed. We'll see... Fourze grabbed me from the get-go. This one? Not so much. (Kinda like how I felt about W and Kiva. OOO and Den-O grabbed me immediately too... Guess I like the more cheerful stuff?
Revorse wrote:I started Kamen Rider with Decade and I've seen Decade through Fourze.
Lunchboxx wrote:Probably because I've never seen any other rider season aside from Fourze and about half of W, butI actually liked Haruto.
I'm so sorry for your condition and situation.
Phoenix512 wrote:I say it again but I rather like it when they don't the origin story right away. I prefer to jump into the action instead of most of the episode building up to the main character acquiring their powers.
locuas wrote:i LOVED this episode. First thing, the protagonist KNOWS what he is doing, and KNOWS how to fight and use his powers, and after OOO and Fourze, who needed to have everything explained to them, i'm really glad.
I concur.
Kuchiri wrote:I'm also thinking the final form is going to be Purple (Like usual)
What's with final form is Purple like usual?? You must mean like OOO final form, right? Because he was the only main rider whose final form in TV series is Purple.
Conan_Edogawa wrote:Speculation Spoiler
Spoiler
who wants to bet he gets at least one dragon related form? or maybe dragon themed power-ups for every form?
Speculation Spoiler
Spoiler
who wants to bet someone may have been contaminated?

Kamen Rider Raven wrote:Speaking of, his Phantom seems to indeed be the dragon. And I am soooooo reminded of Dragredder...
I thought Dragredder doesn't have any legs. His Phantom soooooo reminds me of Dragranzer...
OOOKaiser wrote:The plot is very slow but it just means that its going to be a great show.
I love it how one can think that a series plot is very slow despite the following facts:
1. Only the first episode has been aired so far
2. In that respective only eps., we've been introduced with many things (the introduction of the characters, enemies, the relationship between the Gates and Phantoms, the Plamonsters, two additional forms, three Flame Style finishers, a bit of flashback regarding the main character's past, etc.). If they can keep this pace, it may serve to prevent possible rushed writing in this series' future final eps. (remember Fourze anyone).
Renigami wrote:With a detective and police entourage, they could so have that build up of discovery. Unless this is all about showing action after action after action right away (not necessarily a bad thing for a first intro episode), this seems way too by the book in terms of episode progression I have seen before with some previous Rider series.
You'll get what you want by watching Kuuga or Agito.
stalydan wrote:I also have a sneaking suspicion that if any of the cast was to become the secondary rider of this show rather than introduced nearer the time when the rider has already appeared or is about to, Rinko is likely to become it. It would fit those lines that she has about wanting to help people bit can't because she's not a mage and I feel like in a show like this is turning out to be, a female rider is a bit more likely.
First ever female rider in TV Series?? No chance. In Movie maybe.
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Arawynn »

Magic is one of my fav themes. After watching the first ep...I dont find any characters unlikable immediately...so that's always a good sign as far as I am concerned. Haruto looks alright. Mysterious and all that. Going into the mind world of the victim looks a lot like Den-O. (but as I liked Den-O..i'm not complaining about similarities). Incidentally the detective chick is from one of the den-o movies :lol:

The sentai this year is Science and technology based...and new kamen rider is Magic. Reversed roles?
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki
Ginhoshi
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto, Deka
2nd Favorite Series: Decade, OOO
Dreamy: Jasmine Reimon
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Maria
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Ranger Keys
Quote: Obaachan gaitteita. Otoko ga yatte wa ikenai kotoga futatsu aru. Onanoko wo nakaseru kototo, tabemono wo somatsu ni suru kotoda.

Post by Ginhoshi »

[snip]
Last edited by XIII on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoilers for unreleased agito by us is not allowed
TheXev
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki

Post by TheXev »

Okay, I read most of what was posted in this thread.... I think its kinda hilarious how I feel about Wizard episode one vs the rest of what was posted.

Overall, the first episode shows much more "polish" then Fourze's opener (which I can't believe doesn't have an extended ver/directors cut), and leaves enough mystery in the Rider for plenty of character development.

Second, this show invoked absolutely no feelings I got from Kiva. That was a huge surprise.

I also think so many people are missing the mark on Haruto. He doesn't remind of ANY PAST Riders at all. That is a good thing, considering I felt the same way about Gentarou when Fourze premiered. In fact, Haruto reminds me (I expected to either be ridiculed for this, or praised for pointing it out) of Hawkeye Pierce from M*A*S*H. He's goofing around, but he actually takes what he does very seriously underneath that facade he puts up. I think some people may have found Haruto be be a complainer (such as when he commented that using so much magic was a pain), but I think he might actually have been serious. We may not have seen a limit to his magic, but I think we can be sure that there is one, and that he was trying to conserve his power for when he needed to use it.

The other point that I am completely 180 vs the rest of the thread is the belt. While I might not be all in on its gimmick, I kinda wanted to hear the beat that it was singing to, instead of the over zealous BGM that this series looks like it is going to have. It was so difficult to hear the thing over the loud BGM... like.. just get the BGM out of the freakn' way so I can hear the belt, PLEASE (wait... did I..... uh never mind). I already like this belt much more then I liked OOO's belt.

Theme song, my initial reaction is MUCH MUCH better then Fourze's theme. Fourze's theme took me about 6-7 eps to stop hating... now I love it, but I 'enjoy' Wizard's theme already. I don't think it is the most awesome thing in the world, but disco beats always hit me right in the heart. ;)

I kinda wish the episode didn't have so much stuff jammed in, but it seems like it did a better job jamming events together then Fourze's premiere.

As for all those that think/are hoping/WANT this series to be dark, I wouldn't expect it to be anything like Fourze, but don't expect anything remotely dark (or at least, anything dark that won't be countered by humor as someone stated previously). They will attempt to balance this show and make it more light hearted simply because Japan is still trying to recover from the Tsunami disaster. I wouldn't even bother complaining about it, it is just wasted breath. DEAL WITH IT.

...now that I think about it, isn't that Gold Ranger thing from Gobust kinda like GoBuster's version of Big One? Hmm.... I really need to get current on my Fourze (DOH)/Gobuster.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Well, after the too lightly series of Fourze, I can say Wizard got me hooked. Haruto seems like a toned down Tendou, Koyomi is like a second version of Tomoko, Rinko is in police forces that wasn't goofied down. Even the sight of Haruto riding Unicorn doesn't feel too awkward. Even the humor doesn't feel forced much.

Wonder how Seiji Takaiwa came up with the fighting style of Wizard? Got something special with Wizard's movement there. It's elegant and graceful like Kabuto/ Sieg/ Tajador, but with a bit of flair.

All the Style's helmets still doesn't hooked me up, but the overall is okay.

A Rider using a normal phone........back to original, yes!

Phantom using a disguise like Fangaia, entering a person's mind like Den-O. Seems this is 1st episode, i can understand the CGI effect is overwhelming. Let's see how long this can take.

Overall, a good series to get back into KR after being given Fourze. A lot of potential there

Spoiler
Why do I have the feeling the guy with green shirt is going to spoil the atmosphere? Maybe the way he sounds "Boku wa..."
Actar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hanasaki Tsubomi
My boom: Stuff
Quote: Love what do do, do what you love.

Post by Actar »

HyperDrake wrote:- Ghuls. This series' lackeys. I've heard about GhOuls before in horror or mystery stories before, but not Ghuls.
\
Yeah, I can't quite follow the logic either... The Undead from Blade weren't zombies or vampires, the Worms from Kabuto never looked like real worms and the Yummies from OOOs weren't delicious in any way.

But, of course, that's just a minor nitpick to what was a phenomenal release as always.
Video Reviewer of Anime Figures, Mecha and Merchandise. ( ̄‿‿ ̄)
- Channel - Blog
papas1992
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Favorite Band: t.A.T.u.

Post by papas1992 »

Great opening episode for the new Kamen rider season!

Spoiler
I am looking forward to watching the next episode. Especially, I wanna see the acting of KABA! *.*
HyperDrake
Gabu
Favorite series: BLADE
2nd Favorite Series: KUUGA
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: "Rotten branches weaken even a great tree."

Post by HyperDrake »

Ginhoshi wrote:
[snip]
Last edited by XIII on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoilers for agito not released by us is not allowed
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

toni2212 wrote:
Wonder how Seiji Takaiwa came up with the fighting style of Wizard? Got something special with Wizard's movement there. It's elegant and graceful like Kabuto/ Sieg/ Tajador, but with a bit of flair.
I think they went for a more "artistic" or "teathrical" fighting style to go alongside the magician look. It's hard to describe, but look at a magician's act and you will get what i meant.
Btw, there is also Tackle.
dinothunder1024
Gao
Favorite series: kamen rider kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: super sentai
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: webcomics
Quote: Has a creature ever perfected the art of denial as finely as a human?
Type: INFP Healer

Post by dinothunder1024 »

I really hope that Wizard doesn't fall into the two-episode-arc rut that seems to plague the more recent Kamen Riders. Kiva was my favorite because the plot flowed from one arc to the next. The two episode arc is entirely too predictable, and choppy when you try to put them together into a bigger story.
Demonskid
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Double/W
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Shotaro
Favorite Actor?: Suda Masaki
Favorite Band: Gackt Job
My boom: J-Pop/Rock
Quote: Taotsu kedou ii yone? Kotae wa kitenai!

Post by Demonskid »

I really liked this episode and so far this rider, but for one to get a full feel of the show I'd need to wait and see a few more episodes. His transformations are awesome and i was shocked to see 2 extra ones in there just at the start. Makes me wonder how many more is he going to get through out the show.
ImageImageImage
FaeQueenCory
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider ΑgitΩ
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Favorite Band: Kiryu
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: H0mestuck
Quote: FAA: i think
FAA: it was m0re likely just an0ther inevitability
FAA: a pr0duct 0f c0llusi0n between the disparate f0rces at play
FAA: a bargain struck between what skaia kn0ws already and what the g0ds demand up fr0nt
FAA: t0gether they 0rchestrate trials sufficient t0 ensure
FAA: that in 0verc0ming them we w0uld be pr0ven w0rthy
FAA: 0f inheriting the ultimate reward

Post by FaeQueenCory »

papas1992 wrote:
Spoiler
I am looking forward to watching the next episode. Especially, I wanna see the acting of KABA! *.*
EVERYONE should be looking forward to her! XD

But I'm on the fence about Wizard. It seems a bit... discombobulated? I dunno. I reserve my judgement of the series for the first 2-3 episodes (because if there isn't anything in that much time to get me to like at least one character... I probably won't like it.)
But I think why I'm most... apathetic(?) is with the characters... aside from some superficial stuff, no one but Wizard and the victim-of-the-week seemed to have any sort of characterization to them. Which should change as the episodes progress.
There's just something missing in it for me... But I can't quite place my finger on what that is... hopefully ep2 next week will give me more clarity.
eigorisu
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
My boom: Transformers

Post by eigorisu »

I liked it, although the initial series set up is fairly complicated. itseems like we've got a lot of set-up to get through before the series settles down into that initial pre-secondary-rider run. I'm glad they didn't try to cram *everything* into a single first episode.

I got heavy shades of ryuki and (to a lesser extent) OOOs (ok, maybe more the later stuff from OOOs), in terms of the action, directing, and particularly the fight/action scenes. that's good, it's something I felt was missing from Fourze. as an example, it was clear something was up with Amino (t'other cop), by the way the scene between him and rinko at the park was set up, with him being obscured by the fountain. intentional or not, i love stuff like that. hope there's a lot more of it, too

must admit i got a bit confused as to what rings do what, but i'm guessing we'll get more 'rules' for those as we go

the change in fight style from past series was nice. alas, i suspect it means that unless haruto's actor is seriously up to the task, we won't get much in the way of untransformed fighting outside of the use of the wizswordgun. shame.

not much else to add, the plamonsters seem like the toys will be fun. everyone loves a bit of minipla.

oh, i did like that his regular belt is a subdued version of his henshin belt. in the one series that can actually legitimately say 'duh, it's magic', they actually try to give it a reasonable explanation, instead of it literally appearing out of nowhere, as with, well, everyone else. ever.

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”