Kamen Rider Wizard 01 released

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizaaaaard
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Fourze | Wizard | Gaim >

So what's your initial impressions of Wizard?

It's great, I'm on board.
58%
It's good, but I'll need to see more to decide.
28%
It's just okay, but I'll keep watching before deciding
14%
Meh, not for me.
No votes

Total votes: 118
blazin
Go Go!

Re: Kamen Rider Wizard 01 released

Post by blazin »

Good 1st episode~ I like it~ XD

We should see a lot of combinations of past Rider's attack~

Wizard's Rider Kick is so familiar~

Starts with Agito's Rider Kick initial pose which stores power -> Garren's Whale drop -> Ryuki's mid air somersault transiting to kick -> Faiz's Rider Kick~
I hope someone will do a combination video of this~ LOLX~

I think on 1 of Wizard's promotion you can see him using something similar to Garren's Burning Divide~
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Dengar wrote: Magic-User - Self explanatory
Mage - Someone who trains or is trained in the use of magic, depending on the world/context
Magi - Plural for mage
Magician - These guys actually exist in real life. They play tricks. Sometimes used as another word for "magic-user" in fiction.
Wizard - Is not only trained in magic, but is also very knowledgable in the "science" behind it, and is often able to devise their own spells and such.
Sorcerer - This one really depends on the world/context, but I believe the origin of "sorcery" is often used in a similar manner as "witchcraft" and is sometimes used interchangably. Basically the word "sorcerer" carries a sort of stigma with it.
Warlock - A magic-user whose magic is focused on inflicting harm.

I'd agree with all of those except the last two. "Sorcerer" is usually given to a higher-level magic user, someone who can produce feats beyond your average mage/wizard. Of course, that definition depends on your world/mythos, but for the most part there's no stigma to sorcerer. Warlock is actually just a male witch.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Dengar wrote:
Actar wrote:Actually, what is the difference between Wizard, Mage, Magician, Magic-User, Warlock, Sorcerer, Magi, etc...? I suppose each of them have a certain special connotation?
Note these definitions are in my own words. I'd like to believe that I'm right on every account, but other people's views may differ.

Magic-User - Self explanatory
Mage - Someone who trains or is trained in the use of magic, depending on the world/context
Magi - Plural for mage
Magician - These guys actually exist in real life. They play tricks. Sometimes used as another word for "magic-user" in fiction.
Wizard - Is not only trained in magic, but is also very knowledgable in the "science" behind it, and is often able to devise their own spells and such.
Sorcerer - This one really depends on the world/context, but I believe the origin of "sorcery" is often used in a similar manner as "witchcraft" and is sometimes used interchangably. Basically the word "sorcerer" carries a sort of stigma with it.

sounds mostly right, but going by what I know from D&D (though not sure it's exactly the same as the real world meanings) Wizards were like magic scholars, able to learn more spells as their power increases, while sorcerers could use more spells per day while learning spells at a slower rate.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Boy was this episode special effects heavy. They all looked neat though and was glad to see Wizard fly with the MagiDragon. Lol...Couldn't help but noticed that myself. I always find it odd to watch a first episode with the main character or characters already having powers. But it looks like they are going to explain his origin in the next one so I will let that slide. The action was pretty cool and the villain designs were nice too. I'm intrigued...
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

Mmm....i wasn´t blown away but i can appreciate what they are trying to do, jumping right into the action to start off the show, though i admit the overload of exposition was a bit too much, this episode could have been divided into 2....unless they are going back in the formula and trying to brake the 2 episode rule, kind of like faiz. I am just thinking outloud here but seeing the preview i think they will spend the first few episodes assembling the cast and the basis of the story before the actual "start" of the show.

I wasn´t sure about the belt at first but i love it after seeing it in action, and i am really digging the way magic works with the magic circles, especially that teleport thing.

Also, i am currently watching Hibiki and seeing Garuda gave a massive flashback.

So really, this was a good introductory episode, i expect things to improve, the show has the potential and i hope that police chick becomes a recurring character.

Oh, i almost forgot, the soundtrack rocked my socks off.

Thanks for the release!!!
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

One thing I noticed though. Watching the phone call, right before Haruto used his finisher, he changed into his Water form. Yet, the graphics for the subs were as if he was in his Flame form. It's honestly not a big deal, just something I just noticed.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Well I didn't want to necessary assume that he can use the Kick Strike Ring while in Water Form. So I was playing it on the safe side.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Alignment: Neutral
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

Okay, just finished up ep.1... for the fifth time. The second I saw a certain piece of artwork on DeviantArt, I knew I was going to do a crossover. Even better, once I see ep.2, and possibly three, it's going to be plausible... I just hate starting a Harry Potter crossover In Medias Res, in other words, after year four.
HyperDrake
Gabu
Favorite series: BLADE
2nd Favorite Series: KUUGA
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: "Rotten branches weaken even a great tree."

Post by HyperDrake »

Dengar wrote:Umm. . . ya he was. He was Kabuto. Though a character that I point out that might also break the mold was Otoya. He was the main character of the 1986 Arc of Kiva and did in fact get a lady. So did his son, but his lady died early.
Maybe she was referring to Tendo Juka or Tendo's Oba-san.
Netto no Zen-Aki wrote:And I agree, that if they break away from the 2-EP arcs, it will be refreshing. Maybe a 1-Ep here, a 3-Ep arc there, throw in a 2-Ep arc for seasoning, you have a nice variety and shows that there are different levels of ease for our new Rider.
I concur.
HereticMIND wrote:It just looks like a giant hand grabbing Haruto's genitals now.[/i]
Perhaps he should lend it to either Koyomi or Rinko just for the sake of seeing how it'd look on the girls.
Kogashi wrote:Oh, sorry to be off topic with what the different terms mean, but was wondering... For any Kick Strikes that aren't in Flame Style... Would they end up not being "The Best"?
I won't bother you with "just-wait-for-the-upcoming-eps. just-be-patient-will-you" kind of answer, coz that doesn't sound nice. Anyway the answer is, maybe they would or maybe they wouldn't.
Lunagel wrote:Warlock is actually just a male witch.
A male witch, eh. So, a hero is a male heroine.
TheXev
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki

Post by TheXev »

Dengar wrote:
Actar wrote:Actually, what is the difference between Wizard, Mage, Magician, Magic-User, Warlock, Sorcerer, Magi, etc...? I suppose each of them have a certain special connotation?
Note these definitions are in my own words. I'd like to believe that I'm right on every account, but other people's views may differ.

Magic-User - Self explanatory
Magi - Plural for mage
The way I always understood it, Wizard's learned magic via vast study of the science behind it (I.E. Harry Potter). Warlocks are people who are naturally gifted at birth with magical abilities (like the non-magical equivalent of a Barbarian if you would), and Sorcerers are essentially Warlocks who decided to study magic, hence increasing their own powers by combining the study of magic with there own natural talent. Conversely, a Sorcerer can also be a Wizard who as emotionally trained themselves up to the ability of a Sorcerer.

The real difference between a Wizard and a Warlock/Sorcerer is probably how they choose to combine magic. Think of it as a coin with two sides or Yin & Yang:

Yin side: Wizards
Yang side: Warlocks/Witches (Warlocks are just male Witches anyway).
and in the middle is Sorcerers.

Wizards channel magic by using logical thinking, while Warlocks use emotions to do so... so the natural "middle ground" is the combination of both methods to produce 'awesome' (in the truest sense of the word) results. I think it is normally more common for Warlocks/Witches to become Sorcerers since most Wizards train with zero emotional magic abilities. Wizards tend to use potions and concoctions more (hence some being equally talented as scientist/alchemist), while Warlocks use pure emotional power to use magic (more mana based if you will). The reason Warlocks/Witches become Sorcerers more frequently then Wizards, is that having a "burning passion" if you will, comes much easier via emotions, where logical thinkers (Wizard's) don't let their emotions rule them in the first place.... but corrupt emotions are also why you see more Sorcerers then anything else go bad.

I think I learned that from D&D or something.. but it was ages ago.. High school.... 10+ years..... :/

So, the sum up is:

Magic-User - Someone who has magical abilities, might be able to do a few low level things with it.. but is aware when serious magic is being cast (most of the time.. depends on the magic). They know magic exist and they may have ways of using it.

Mage - A magic-user with formal training that channels magic (like a Warlock would) using logical thinking. Mages lack the ability to form their own potions and concoctions like a Wizard would (but probably could use them when necessary).

Magician - David Copperfield

Wizard - As stated above, a magic-user who is educated in the sciences behind magic. Logical thinker.

Warlocks/Witches - Emotionally driven magic-users, who under strong emotional outburst can bring out untold power if they are driven to do so. Much easier for a Warlock/Witch to become evil (ruled by emotions).

Sorcerers - Either a Wizard/mage who has managed to master the power of their own emotions, or a Warlock/Witch who has managed to tame the their emotions (to an extent) using logical thinking. Emotionally driven Sorcerers may be more apt to become evil, but ultimately have an advantage over logical Wizard/mage type Sorcerers simply because their passions allow them to channel more power. Sorcerers who can master the fine line between full emotion and outright madness while still applying all of their logical learning are the highest level of all magic-users.

It's good to remember that magic is a blending of all of these things. It wouldn't be unreasonable for a Wizard to have an emotional outburst and perhaps go berserk, or a Warlock to use a potion if needed. You could have a jack-of-all trades magic-user who falls into all categories to a degree. Definition is a matter of mastery. Which ever category that someone has mastered the most would generally be how you define that person, with someone who is the master of all being a Sorcerers.

I'm sure that this being a Kamen Rider series, Toei will put their own spin and define things as they see fit, so why worry about this rant I just had? XD
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

First of all, I disagree on Warlocks and Witches being the same thing. In the stories I'm most familiar with, warlocks have a tendency to draw power from within themselves, turning emotions into power, so to speak. Witches, on the other hand, draw power from the world itself. Neither is gender exclusive.

David Copperfield is an Illusionist, by the way.

I actually tried avoiding D&D terminology, because it tends to be rather different, so I went for what is used in common fiction.

If I were to go by D&D terminology, it would be like this

Magic-User - The 1st edition name for what would later become the Wizard.
Mage - A Wizard
Wizard - A spellcaster who learns magic through studying. They always carry a spellbook with them which contains the incantations.
Sorcerer - Someone who is born with an innate ability to use magic, and trains in its use without seeing the need to understand it. Their magic is more unpredictable and harder to control.
Warlock - Someone who has made a pact with a greater entity, such as Demonic, Fey, or Cosmic entities, and sacrificed a part of themselves in exchange for power.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Let's just all agree to disagree, most universes have different definitions for different types of magic users.

Kamen Rider Warlock would be a kickass name for a secondary rider though.
PowerFeud
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Favorite Band: the GazettE
Alignment: Neutral
Quote: Don't hate, appreciate.

Post by PowerFeud »

I really loved the first episode, to be honest. Haruto is a likable character, IMO. I really like his personality.

I really liked all the special effects this time around, and the fight on the MagiDragon was spectacular.

It was pretty odd how he was able to use all four elements from the get-go, but that also just makes me hopeful for some potentially better upgrades in the future of the show.

The whole "please" thing was a bit odd to me at first, but it quickly grew on me after a few times. I feel it adds a certain bit of charm to the show.

Overall, I really liked the first episode and I think this is going to be a great season. Can't wait to watch how it all unfolds.
HereticMIND
Infinity
Favorite series: DABURU
2nd Favorite Series: WIZAADO
Dreamy: Medusa-sama~~
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "One word and I hit you again."

Post by HereticMIND »

HyperDrake wrote:
HereticMIND wrote:It just looks like a giant hand grabbing Haruto's genitals now.
Perhaps he should lend it to either Koyomi or Rinko just for the sake of seeing how it'd look on the girls.
Oh god you did not just suggest that.

Spoiler
Besides, from what I can see, only Koyomi has magic training. Rinko has/had (unclear whether, due to Haruto nullifying her apparition, she still has any) magic potential, but lacks the proper training.
<BrotherFenrir> Omigod all of a sudden I wanna watch gLee.
<BrotherFenrir> The sad thing is that I already have the pilot episode and another first season episode on iTunes...
<BrotherFenrir> I am a pitiful, pitiful man.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

to be fair, from the looks of he flashback, he gained his abilities one or two years ago, so it's not impossible for her to learn things if she had any potential left.

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”