Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Wizard 02 released

Post by takenoko »

I guess a lot of people already said this, but the opening sequence was pretty good. A lot of interesting stuff going on with some stuff stringing it together to tell a story (like Haruto slowly putting the ring on Koyomi's finger). The song itself is pretty fun. But man, Kamen Rider sure likes a main cast of Rider and main female (sometimes an additional male) and secondary male and/or female. Going on about the opening, is that Koyomi crying in the scene after the Mage in White is carrying her? Pretty nice shot of raw magic stones and empty rings.

Man is Koyomi short. So there's two girls in this season, will Haruto find any of them interesting beyond a platonic relationship?

Hello thar, Long!

Oh man, the goofy sidekick. I guess he's not too bad. He's just such an obvious archetype at this point that it's groanworthy though.

I knew people had some concerns when they heard about the transsexual doughnut shop owner, but I think he's okay so far. He's not wacky or boy-crazy or used for cheap laughs. He's just a dude selling doughnuts and he's friends with Haruto. For now, that seems okay to me.

Oddly, the worst part of the episode for me was something that they didn't do. They tell the tragic tale of Haruto's birth as Wizard... but Haruto himself expresses no emotions. Sure, you see him looking ponderously out into the water or whatever, but that's not the same thing as expressing genuine human emotion. The only reason the viewer knows about this is that Koyomi is the one that tells Rinko/the viewer about it. Batman is a tortured soul. Haruto is supposed to be one (sorta), but he has his fun magic and friends and girls to flirt with and his doughnuts. I dunno. It's just the episode was telling me one thing and I was seeing something else. It just makes it feel like the episode is lying to you when it does stuff like that.

Anyway, complaints aside, it was a pretty fun episode. The origin story was pretty cool. Plus we know there's another mage (second Rider perhaps?). Plus he has a cool voice! That's always nice. But nitpicking again, we never see Haruto express any emotions. He's bathing in human ash and doesn't scream when the monster attacks. Maybe he's in shock, but overall his character is too emotionally detached. I really hope to see more of his personality developed in future episodes.

That said, I like the little laugh that Haruto does when he fights as Wizard.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: KR Wizard 02 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

I wasn't like most people who were afraid of the existence of Nara Shunpei or the doughnut guy. They aren't really that bad. Koyomi's actress is 4'11" so yeah she's very short.

White Wizard guy seems to have a bigger Wizardriver compared to Haruto's.

I kinda like the long coat that Haruto was wearing in the OP. And speaking of him, I think the profile from the TV-Asahi site kinda explain Haruto's character quite well. He has this supposedly fun side with the magic, friends, and girls but really has another side that he can't express to others. In that case, I think the episode did a very good job with Haruto's character.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, it's nice that's in his profile, but that's still being told something rather than showing it. Show not tell is a lot stronger.

I hear that guys with bigger Wizardrivers...

Shunpei isn't terrible, but he is every sidekick that has been in a toku show before. Also, what's the deal with how sidekicks are ridiculously dressed. Striped shirt with plaid pants and a giant red backpack? Why can't they just be dressed like normal dudes?
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Shunpei kind of came off as a somewhat more manchildish (Heh, I invented a new word!) version of Gai. Comparison aside, I sort of have to agree with the kids on him using "chichin pui pui" sounds a touch silly as a, well, spell. Maybe he'll grow on me... I do agree on that Toei could use a more mature - for lack of better word - sidekick.

That aside, I am interested in how things plays out, now that Shunpei has shown he can use magic, being a Gate. Which begs the question on whether Rinko still has the possibility of using magic, but given that Hartuo destroyed her Phantom-in-potentia, he might've destroyed any chance of that...
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Post by butyoumight »

Hello thar, Long!
I was right! And I haven't even seen Gekiranger! I feel better now.

I'm actually already in love with the doughnut shop owner, regardless of gender or whatever else have you. The character is thus far amusing without being offensive, which is really all I can ask for.

On Haruto: for now I can almost excuse the lack of emotion, if they're setting it up for him to stay that way. If he continues to not show any particular amount of fear or anything, it'll seem purposeful instead of like a mistake somewhere along the line.

I love the White Mage's driver! The red outline looks awesome.
Kairiki
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Ankh
Favorite Actor?: Miura Ryosuke
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kairiki »

I kind of love Shunpei already, but then maybe I have a soft spot for these types of fanboy characters (Akagi, Gai, etc.) because that's kind of what I would be like in their situation.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Shunpei is wearing shorts made from patchwork madras plaid fabric. The fabric is used to make summer clothing because it is lightweight and breathes. To deal with the cool weather, he is also wearing tights with a clashing pattern underneath the shorts.

It seems that Shunpei's book is the key to his emotional state as a Gate. He better be careful or he might accidentally burn the book with his newly discovered power.

For some reason, the rings for Wizard's different forms remind me of shrunken heads.
Kairiki
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kairiki »

Arigomi wrote:Shunpei is wearing shorts made from patchwork madras plaid fabric. The fabric is used to make summer clothing because it is lightweight and breathes. To deal with the cool weather, he is also wearing tights with a clashing pattern underneath the shorts.
Reminds me of quite a few outfits that Miura Ryosuke wears (because somehow I've become That Miura Fangirl)...

Anyway, every time I watch it, I keep coming up with new theories about things. Like why do the White Wizard's magic circles involve the phases of the moon, and does that have anything to do with the eclipse and the Phantoms and things?
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Shunpei is an energetic character who also can get passionate about his dream, allowing him to have the potential of something more than just comedic relief in the future.

I enjoyed Rinko going around looking for Haruto. The way they chose to introduce us to the origins of Wizard was cool. They only revealed the very essential details, with Koyomi being the one reciting the story (instead of the obvious choice being Haruto), with Haruto being shown to be sceptical by the water. Haruto may not have been directly involved in the storytelling, but I think it's just because he seems to be drawn into deep thought whenever he thinks about it.

One of the best moments had to be the parallel comments set up between Haruto/Shunpei and Koyomi/Rinko. I'm referring to when Rinko said "I wish I could be a mage" with Koyomi replying that she shouldn't say that in front of Haruto. And at that time, that's exactly what Shunpei tells Haruto. With Rinko's past, or at least details of it, being the focus in ep 1, we can finally enjoy her getting some additional development, which is impressive... as we are still just in ep 2.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I love how his limitations as Wizard come from using too much magic and not being amateur at using his powers. It feels like he's an established Rider already, who can still grow stronger and mature of course, but doesn't need much help at first.

Good fighting scenes overall, but I have to admit Shunpei was the centre of attention this week. Nonetheless, I believed, as Haruto did, that the Gate was the child. So the surprise he felt later was something I experienced too.

Oh and one last thought. So it makes sense that there had to be a huge initial ceremony to create many Phantoms. They couldn't have existed beforehand to give rise to more Phantoms, or could they? It's kinda like the chicken/egg mystery. Who organised that ceremony, and why are more Phantoms needed for this Wiseman's sake?
Behold the Emperor!
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

This was a pretty good episode. Shunpei reminds me of Philip in a way. Also, the whole background with Koyomi and Haruto is interesting. I hope they develop Koyomi's character and explain her past in details.

Also, Long from GekiRanger, although I seriously couldn't recognize him at first.
Kairiki
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kairiki »

Crack theory: What if the White Wizard is Wiseman, and him giving the WizarDriver to Haruto is a plot to create more Phantoms for his Vague Evil Plans?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That seems like the kind of twist that would happen. I mean, he just happened to be at the last ritual that created a bunch of Phantoms, after all.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I love the opening sequence it has a lot of homages to the past kamen riders.

Preview:
Spoiler
Water Style debuts! nice
Quetzalcoatl
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Kumbia Kings
My boom: Lowriders
Quote: "Chicanos killing Chicanos is what they want! Blacks and Chicanos killing each other is what they want! That's how they run this place. Once we get together they don't run shit!"

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

The opening sequence is really awesome, it grown to me.

Shunpei, I do not really like him. Maybe it because I seen so many characters that are describe like Shunpei one way or another.
I think it will take time for Shunpei to grow on me until I see more of him in future episode.

I really love how they introduce the origin of Haruto being a rider. Also, wouldn't Haruto be a known as the Secondary Rider since the White mage Rider gave him the belt. Hmmmm lol Guess im overthinking things.

What I like about this show is that they gave Haruto a limit of how much energy his use his magic. Make sense, You see often in many RPG games have mana for spells and stuff.

The doughnut shop owner is awesome, carefree and sells my favorite food.

Also, that Big spell, could be useful in more ways then one. Hmmmmm
There no food safe from me now. lol
hafizipauzi
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Favorite Band: Dir En Grey
Quote: I'll never take back my word

Post by hafizipauzi »

Ok about episode 2..... I like doughnut LOL

well obviously, I don't understand how the hell so many people were there at the shore? were they brought by someone or just visitors that accidentally were there and caught up in the ritual?????

Anyway, the way Wizard fighting looks like a kung fu master... Did Haruto learn Kung-Fu beforehand?

and Koyomi... well I just fell in love with her lips.... So cute... :wink:

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”