Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kamen Rider Movie Taisen Ultimatum Released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... _Ultimatum

Oh man, what a fun movie. Just what you expect from Sakamoto action.

The Kaijin Alliance was perfect in capturing the idealism and the arrogance of young people. I like how they complain about terrorism, yet they're okay with destroying space vessels and killing innocent people. I also like how outrageous most of the Kamen Rider Club's members careers are... except Gentarou who's a teacher, Miu who used her brains to become a model, and Shun who is still playing football five years later.

The practical action effects were so good. There were only a couple points where I kind of zoned out from the long action scenes. For the most part, the stuff going on onscreen kept me engrossed.

The only real downside to the movie for me was the CGI video gamey last battle. It happens so gradually too. At first they're standing on this fake looking CGI landscape, then the big CGI battle happens. It was pretty disappointing since at that point, I was really happy by the fact that the tank and the bike fights were all done for real. I guess they forgot how fake looking the spaceship battle from the last Movie Taisen was.

There was a ton of nice female action this time. Nao, Rinko, Nadeshiko, Poitrine (even if she gets captured later). Pretty great stuff there.

Also, the plot was handled pretty well, considering it had all the shit thrown together going against it. I mean seriously, how many heroes were in this movie? The story centering around those kidnapped kids really helped to keep everything at least loosely grounded. That said, it's a little too bad that so much of the story happened in the Underworld. It sort of felt like "This is all a dream, none of this is happening."

I kind of wish they started with Haruto in the dream sequence. The WTF factor would have been really good to disorient the viewer, at least for a little bit. Then go back and reveal the events that led to him being there.

I was reading the script that came with the Blu-ray. It's really thick compared to the Go-Busters movie. It's a pretty neat thing to have though. It looks like in the original set up, the reason there are so many past kaijin from past Rider series is because the kids were being shown a bunch of old Rider shows. Then these monsters were made into reality because of the machine. Just watching the movie by itself, I didn't notice that or that point went by me.

Another funny thing is that there's a little (Temp) mark next to the title Movie Taisen Ultimatum, so the title was a work in progress at the point when the script was written.

And at the end, the credits list Nigou Rider. I was like "Nigou isn't in this movie. Must have been cut content." I flip through it, and at the end it talks about Nigou Rider being on a nearby tower and using the "Falcon Ring". Then I was like "Ooh, they mean Beast. Nigou as in Second Rider." It's kind of confusing that there's also a Kamen Rider Nigou that exists.

I really like the twist at the end. Never would have expected something in a Rider movie to surprise me. Kind of makes you wonder how the Hyper Battle DVD (which we hopefully have released by the time you read this) fits canonwise.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Kamen Rider Movie Taisen Ultaimatum Released

Post by Phoenix512 »

It was a pretty good movie. I love Rinko doing some great action scenes that we don't really see in the TV series. I didn't expect the old school KR club kept a couple of the guns from the XVII raid. I didn't really think the KR club's careers were most out there except for Ryuusei being secret agent man who beats up humans with Meteor. I would assume if any future adventures with Fourze will happen in the present day since the 5 years from now version has no Fourze Driver unless it breaks the time barrier to reunite with him in great need.

I guess the clue was there that the Owner was Poltrine since she wasn't around in the Underworld. It was funny that the Owner was Poltrine especially when Haruto thought he found his soulmate.

I didn't mind the end CGI sequence as it's always going to be in every movie now. I would probably want to not have all these heroes now. Toei doesn't understand that hero cameos aren't as cool anymore if done for the third or fourth time and keep coming up with silly ways to bring them. I didn't like the sound effects of the Akumaizers whenever they jumped around since they are the same as the old school Riders used. It was just silly for them to use those sound effects for these guys. Beast's appearance in the end was dull. He didn't even beat anyone up or say something "I'm coming for you, Phantoms." or something to that effect.

I did notice a thing that breaks Wizard canon which was when Haruto and the others saw Phoenix's human form since at the time, they didn't know what his human form look like until several episodes later when Rinko begins to investigate him.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I'm watching the DC version in preparations for checking off on the QC. I really like how the Fourze ending is basically a Shakespearian romance. Everyone is in a couple at the end (except Ryuusei, whose Tomoko is off screen).

Man, I was just thinking, how many Engage rings does Owner have from Wizard at this point (the present day)? Two from this movie and one from the special. Come on Haruto, a promise is a promise!

Oh wow, JK mentioned The Village. Is that a Kamen Rider Eternal reference?
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

I actually enjoyed the movie a lot. It's probably the best Movie Taisen so far. (At the very least, it's the one I've enjoyed the most out of all the Taisen movies so far.) The connections between the two Rider stories felt less forced. I guess the time slip works wonders.

The girl action in this movie was awesome though. Inga, Nao-sensei, Poitrine, Nadeshiko, Rinko-chan... They all had great action scenes. I think the whole reunion thing with Fourze was pretty nicely done as well. And it was nice to see Nadeshiko again, though why didn't she stay on this time?

Gentarou, Miu, King and JK's respective jobs made sense. Though I find it weird how JK can dress so differently from the rest of his company and just tell the editor "Hey, I won't be back for a while, bye!"
- But the others... Ryuusei as an Interpol agent, Tomoko writing stories? No hint of that in the series at all.
- Yuuki as an astronaut...? Hmm...
- Kengo as someone who seemingly holds great influence in some research facility... How is that possible? Did he get a PhD or something?

The Wizard section was okay, I guess. Pity Medusa and Phoenix got shafted.

I can't understand why they had to bring in the older heroes though. Their appreances felt so forced. Well, the Eiji cameo was nice though. UNDERPANTS!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>though why didn't she stay on this time?

So people aren't like "Gentarou, why are you dating a 15 year old school girl who never ages?"

>I can't understand why they had to bring in the older heroes though. Their appreances felt so forced. Well, the Eiji cameo was nice though. UNDERPANTS!

To give Nadeshiko a bike to ride in the form of Accel. Actual reason? Because they seem to want to reenforce the link between the post Decade Rider series. If they're willing to pay the original actors to come back and lend their voices, I say let them do it. I'd rather older Riders came back than some random heroes from some old, forgotten toku show. Oh waiiiit....
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam »

>So people aren't like "Gentarou, why are you dating a 15 year old school girl who never ages?"

Considering how she has expanded her vocab quite a bit, she's capable of learning. I'm pretty sure she can find some way to artificially age her appearance, no? But I guess it sorta fits in the theme of "we will return whenever Gentarou needs help".

>To give Nadeshiko a bike to ride in the form of Accel. Actual reason? Because they seem to want to reenforce the link between the post Decade Rider series. If they're willing to pay the original actors to come back and lend their voices, I say let them do it. I'd rather older Riders came back than some random heroes from some old, forgotten toku show. Oh waiiiit....

LOL about the random old toku heroes. I can understand the whole "link between post-Decade" Riders, but do we need ALL of them? I mean, having Eiji's cool, since he did directly interact with Fourze. But do we really need Birth, W, Accel? I think I would appreciate it more if the original actors came back to make cameos or lend their voices.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I think I would appreciate it more if the original actors came back to make cameos or lend their voices.

Huh. They sounded so similar to the originals that I thought it was really them. Well, that's disappointing.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam »

I'm not sure if they are the originals or not, but FangJoker was definitely not Philip's voice, and Birth doesn't sound like Date or Gotou... Though Accel and W CycloneJoker do sound a lot like their original actors.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Oh hello there stilted Japanese to English translated dialogue. I see someone needs to watch Akibaranger or else you would have picked up on that "take this to your grave!" losing flag.

Awww yeah, Inga Blink. I've missed seeing both of you.

Inazuman looks suspiciously like Doctor Manhattan. I'm pretty sure Inazuman came out first though, and I doubt Alan Moore watched classic tokusatsu.

It took me a while through my first viewing but I finally realized about halfway through the Wizard segment that the four kids were Gentarou's students 5 years later. I'm surprised it took me that long actually, they did a really good job getting kids that looked like their 5 year later selves.

"Here kids, I want you to touch your hands to my belt area."

Man, they clearly wanted to get some more mileage out of the Burakawani suit. Not even an explanation for why it showed up.

Gentarou's photo is clearly a time paradox. This movie shouldn't exist.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Lunagel wrote:It took me a while through my first viewing but I finally realized about halfway through the Wizard segment that the four kids were Gentarou's students 5 years later. I'm surprised it took me that long actually, they did a really good job getting kids that looked like their 5 year later selves.
Heh, not just me then, I only realised when one of the kids called another one, "Saburou", which was well into the movie.
Behold the Emperor!
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

This movie falls into the middle of the Movie Wars pack for me. Not bad by any stretch, but nothing that stood out to make it great either. There was something during the Fourze portion that felt off to me, but I can't put my finger on it. Plus, I was unfortunately spoiled for both of the twists (Owner being Poitrine and the kids being Gentarou's students), so that might have taken some the magic out of the movie for me.

I thought the cameos of the sempai Riders were handled nicely. They were either using stock clips and/or alternate VAs, because Phillip definitely did not have Masaki Suda's voice.

Character-wise, I thought the Wizard half of the equation made out better. Rinko really got to shine with all of the action she was involved in, which made me sad that we haven't seen her more hands-on in the Phantom battles in the series. Poor Koyomi was unintentionally comic relief, since she did not know what to make of all these strange people that kept appearing and jumping into the battle. Speaking of battle, I think that sequence in the church might be my favorite from the entire movie.

On the Fourze side, that opening fight sequence with Ryuusei was very entertaining. I'm still baffled by Gentarou's crazy jumps and how he manages not to seriously injure himself since he's a perfectly normal human, but they've been happening since the first episode so I'm not expecting an explanation anytime soon.

Two questions:
-Amy’s butler was Miu’s manager, right? If so, no wonder we don’t see him very often in Kyouryuuger. Guess he has to take multiple jobs to make up for that gold tree that got melted.
-“Last year we went to the Amazon” - Did they just make the HBV where Kengo and Yuki travel to the Amazon canon? That really amuses me.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yup, that's Gentle. He's everywhere!
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Yay! I don't know how long I waited this crossover to come out. The fight scenes were amazing especially when Fourze and Wizard teamed up. This might have been the best Movie Taisen so far unless they trump it again with the next crossover movie :o
Quetzalcoatl
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Kumbia Kings
My boom: Lowriders
Quote: "Chicanos killing Chicanos is what they want! Blacks and Chicanos killing each other is what they want! That's how they run this place. Once we get together they don't run shit!"

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

:lol: Oh my god. That twist at the end where Haruto get to see Poitrine in reality. Man there were at some point were he looks like he really wanted to vomit.

I kinda like the Fourze section. They really put some though into it. I really like how it wasn't really the main rider who have finish it off the monster or defeated, but the actual side character who burst out of his cocoon and spread his wing.

With Wizard, well it kinda take a getting used too. I kinda geek out when Poitrine did her Magical Girl transformation. reminds me of the old Sailor Moon show I love to watch back then.

The whole CGI Big Huge Machine battle kinda blew the movie for me, the most fun part of the movie was the Tank/Bus action. It felt like watching fast and furious when they take down those big ass vehicles down.
Eiji Cameo. XD I just love that scene were Eiji just shove that underwear in front of Himiko.

Also Gentarou Meeting Gentarou. THE WORLD GOING TO END NOW, RUN!!!!!!!
rossanav6
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by rossanav6 »

I can't wait to watch this movie. still downloading and is really curious with the twisted plot that surprised some people here.

btw, out of curiousity, may I know the differences between DC and theaterical version? are there some scenes that are included in DC but not in the theaterical version or just longer battle scenes?

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”