Wiki Link

< Fourze | Wizard | Gaim >
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Wizard 51 released

Post by Lunagel »

Oh, I see you know a smattering of Japanese. By all means, tell our translator with over 8 years of experience that he's mistranslating one of the words you learn in the first week.

Language is not set in stone, it is fluid, that's one of the great things about translating. You can have two translators be given the exact same dialogue and have them come up with completely different scripts, yet both are perfectly accurate and legitimate ways of expressing what was said in a different language. "Chigau" has nuances that you haven't come across yet, it is totally okay to translate it as a strong "No!"
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Sawada Shione
Favorite Actor?: Ryo Yoshizawa
Favorite Band: Spiv States
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Learning
Quote: "Kamen Raidā Meteo, Omae no sadame wa ore ga kimeru!"

Post by Enter the Meteor »

Lunagel wrote:Oh, I see you know a smattering of Japanese. By all means, tell our translator with over 8 years of experience that he's mistranslating one of the words you learn in the first week.

Language is not set in stone, it is fluid, that's one of the great things about translating. You can have two translators be given the exact same dialogue and have them come up with completely different scripts, yet both are perfectly accurate and legitimate ways of expressing what was said in a different language. "Chigau" has nuances that you haven't come across yet, it is totally okay to translate it as a strong "No!"
I understand that language is flowing. That is what makes it great!

Hey, head translator that has been doing this for 8 years; you did not get what the script writer wanted you to get across in that line.

When someone says "No!", they are shutting them down or they are about to scold them and are about to tell them everything they have done that is deemed incorrect. When someone says "You're wrong!", they are contradictinga statement and are about to rebuttal. Haurto does the latter. I see why you translated the way you did; but I feel as if saying "You're wrong!" flows better and Haurto is about to contradict Sora that the Philosopher's Stone is not his.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kamen Rider Wizard 51: "The Final Hope".

Post by takenoko »

Enter the Meteor wrote:Translational Choice Question: Who keeps translating "chigau" as "No."? It has appeared in the last two episodes as such and I wish to find out the rational. In both contexts, it fits better to go with what the true word means instead of...whatever you call that. Stick with what the writer writes.
Got the time stamps in the final subs? If you provide that, I'll explain my reasoning.
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

takenoko wrote:
Enter the Meteor wrote:Translational Choice Question: Who keeps translating "chigau" as "No."? It has appeared in the last two episodes as such and I wish to find out the rational. In both contexts, it fits better to go with what the true word means instead of...whatever you call that. Stick with what the writer writes.
Got the time stamps in the final subs? If you provide that, I'll explain my reasoning.
I have them right here:

Episode 50: The time-code is 09:43.
Episode 51: The time-code is 16:46. Also, at 12:09, that line is way too cluttered.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Episode 50: The time-code is 09:43.

I think No! is fine here since chigau is just one word. There's no need to explicitly make it "You're wrong!" I mean either works

Episode 51: The time-code is 16:46.

Yeah, same reasoning here. The chigau is super short. I suppose "Wrong" might work too, but it seems a bit glib for such a serious moment.

> Also, at 12:09, that line is way too cluttered.

Seems fine to me. Not sure if you mean Gremlin's line or Haruto's line after.
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Meteor: You are wrong!
Take: No.
Haruto: Maji de?
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
TNT
7X

Post by TNT »

I'll just ignore the language as all I can do in Japanese is introduce myself (possibly rudely) and curse at people. :P

I watched this on Friday and I hadn't replied yet.

The episode felt flat to me, but at least they didn't revive Koyomi. Gremlin's power up form at least looked cool enough. A fitting end for a series of missed opportunities.

Why did Haruto default into flame form? He never touched that ring, he went straight into Infinity.

I look forward to the Decade bits. I love crossovers, I even watch them if I didn't watch the show they belonged to and no matter how bad they are. In addition I love Decade, he still has the best belt sounds.
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

TNT wrote:
Why did Haruto default into flame form? He never touched that ring, he went straight into Infinity.
The reason is that they wanted to make the series go full circle. Haurto first appeared in his default Style -- Flame -- at the start of episode 01; at episode 51, he is killing the head honcho -- Sora -- in Flame Style as well.
Seems fine to me. Not sure if you mean Gremlin's line or Haruto's line after.
It works as it is; I just feel as if there is some spoon-feeding going on.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito

Post by Dengar »

I'm not sure what the big deal is. The point of translating is to make sure us normal folk who don't understand Japanese, know what they're saying. Which we do. Individual choices on how to translate "chigau" kind of seems a little nitpicky to me.

Besides, you quoted Naegi wrong, he says "sore wa chigau" IE "that is wrong". Not only is the context different, the entire phrase is different.
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Dengar wrote: Besides, you quoted Naegi wrong, he says "sore wa chigau" IE "that is wrong". Not only is the context different, the entire phrase is different.
Sorry, Makoto! Regardless, the contexts could not be closer to each other. In Danganronpa, Makoto is rebutting a statement. In Kamen Rider Wizard, Haurto and Koyomi are rebutting statements. In both shows, the floor is given to the character who speaks them.
Last edited by Enter the Meteor on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I'm not sure what the big deal is.

It's not a big deal. So there's no need for anyone to get defensive here. We're just having a discussion.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito

Post by Dengar »

I'm sorry if I came across as defensive. Perhaps I didn't see it the correct way but seemed kind of like a tomayto, tomahto thing to me.
DarkCrusnik
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
Favorite Band: Team Nekokan
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Ore Ga Unmei Tatakao, Soshti Kati Mesri" -Kenzaki, kamen rider blade

it means: "ill fight fate, and surely win! "
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DarkCrusnik »

takenoko wrote: Mayotsukai? Fuck yoooooooooooooooooooooooou
...I keep remembering your comment every five mins..and laughing like an idiot...thanks to you people think im crazy DX
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Enter the Meteor wrote:Hey, head translator that has been doing this for 8 years; you did not get what the script writer wanted you to get across in that line.
Umm... are you the script writer? How did you know that the scriptwriter wants a certain effect and not the other? Maybe I'm over-reacting a little, but this line comes across as an insult. Maybe take's not insulted or offended, but I just thought I should mention that some people might not take to heart what you said because of the way you wrote this line.

Translation is never straightforward. As Luna pointed pointed, there are many legitimate ways to translate the word. Also, there are times when you can't always find an equivalent in a certain language. There are nuances in a certain language that aren't present in English.

An example of how nuances cannot be brought across with translation: Greek "stenahoria" can be roughly translated to "sadness" in English. But Greek-English bilinguals say that such a translation is not accurate, because you can never feel "stenahoria" in an English setting. It's only present in a Greek social situation (Ozanska-Ponikwia, 2013).
Enter the Meteor wrote:When someone says "No!", they are shutting them down or they are about to scold them and are about to tell them everything they have done that is deemed incorrect. When someone says "You're wrong!", they are contradicting a statement and are about to rebuttal. Haurto does the latter.
As for this... if you do conversation analysis like what I'm doing for my degree, you'd find that there're so many things wrong with this statement. There are so many nuances with "No!" in English, and it can work in many ways in English as well. "No!" can also set up a rebuttal. #justsaying
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

zeta_gundam wrote: As for this... if you do conversation analysis like what I'm doing for my degree, you'd find that there're so many things wrong with this statement. There are so many nuances with "No!" in English, and it can work in many ways in English as well. "No!" can also set up a rebuttal. #justsaying
A hashtag!? Seriously?! Really?! No way!

Moving on, "No!" IS a way to set up a rebuttal, but "You're wrong!" is the better choice to make a counter statement. Considering that there are other words for "No!" in the Japanese language, and there is only ONE way to "You're wrong!", I would go with the latter.

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”