Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kamen Rider Wizard translator lookback

Post by takenoko »

So I'm pretty happy with mage being our translation for mahoutsukai. The fact that Kamen Rider Mage is the name of the faceless base type fit perfectly with our translation. Sighs again about Mayu not getting an actual Rider costume.

Kind of wish we used mana instead of magical energy.

To be honest, I can't say I care for Ring Mage for being Haruto's nickname. But I really do like Primordial Mage for Beast, which was a suggestion from QC. And it fits with white mage calling him Archetype too. I feel like white mage calling him something different is done on purpose, plus archetype mage sounds weird.

Still prefer white mage over white wizard, since Wizard is the title character and anything wizard related should only be mentioned when it's Haruto's stuff. I do feel like Toei should have just given white mage a definite name. Instead, we just get this filler name that's more like a title (like ring mage or primordial mage). I guess that's why character's mostly refer to him as Fueki or Wiseman after the big reveal.

While the final hope sounded a bit weird when it was said in the early episodes and wasn't given any context, I think it worked out really well. They did a lot of jokes that fit the phrase "the final hope" really well.

Not too happy with translating occhan as old man. Like one of the qcers said, it does come off as kind of rude for Haruto and the bunch. Probably would have been better if we left that one untranslated.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Kamen Rider Wizard translator lookback

Post by Catastrophe »

Why not use Pops or Gramps or some other colloquial yet friendly term?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It'd have to work with Wajima and by itself.

Pops Wajima/Wajima Pops.
Gramps Wajima / Wajima Gramps.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Haven't we used 'Master' for other things with occhan and since Wajima was Master of the shop it could've work.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

All the times we've used "master" they've actually said "master" in English.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I dunno. Master Wajima has a nice ring to it.

Might not work though since masters said in English in Japan tend to refer to restaurant owners.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

If I'm around ten years from now I'll suggest it again to whoever wants to redo Wizard.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Not sure why old man is disrespectful though.
TNT
7X

Post by TNT »

I saw this topic and thought it was interesting. I read it. Wanted to reply that it was interesting but didn't. And now it has been haunting my mind. :(

I always like seeing why translators decided for certain things and why they didn't. One of the things I love about fansubs is the decision whether to translate a word to something close or to keep it intact and explain the cultural annotations. My biggest annoyance at watching TV where I live is my ability to spot where the translators went horribly wrong. Their mission to always translate everything can (and far to often does) influence the story/delivery of a line.

While I can't judge Japanese I can judge on how it felt to me:
With regards to Old man. I think Old man was just perfect for Wajima. During the show I never really had the idea that they were all that respectful/thankful to him anyway.

I also really liked the Primordial mage/Archetype thing. :)

I hope you make more of these topics in the future.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thanks. I always like making these topics since I think it's always good to look back on a work. Plus it's an opportunity to explain some past decisions or perhaps get feedback about other aspects of the translation from the fans.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Apparently you mistranslated "chigau" a lot. Bad takoneko.
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Sawada Shione
Favorite Actor?: Ryo Yoshizawa
Favorite Band: Spiv States
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Learning
Quote: "Kamen Raidā Meteo, Omae no sadame wa ore ga kimeru!"

Sound Words!

Post by Enter the Meteor »

dancercotillion wrote:Apparently you mistranslated "chigau" a lot. Bad takoneko.
Along with that; why did you opt to not translate the onomatopoeias that the belt sings/ shouts out?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I can't speak for takenoko, but I know when I translate attacks, random utterances by belts, etc, one of the things I think about is "When the fans quote this, what are they going to say?" Obviously people say "Henshin!" I don't think you'll find any KR fan who will say "transform" instead. I'm not talking like when they're watching subtitles, I'm talking when they're playing around with the toys they bought or at cons or something, they're gonna say "henshin". So when you pretend transform into Wizard, are you going to say "Hi Hi Hi Hi Hi" or are you going to say "Fire Fire Fire Fire"?
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Post by butyoumight »

Lunagel wrote:I can't speak for takenoko, but I know when I translate attacks, random utterances by belts, etc, one of the things I think about is "When the fans quote this, what are they going to say?" Obviously people say "Henshin!" I don't think you'll find any KR fan who will say "transform" instead. I'm not talking like when they're watching subtitles, I'm talking when they're playing around with the toys they bought or at cons or something, they're gonna say "henshin". So when you pretend transform into Wizard, are you going to say "Hi Hi Hi Hi Hi" or are you going to say "Fire Fire Fire Fire"?
I love this explanation for the lack of unnecessary translation of onomatopoeia in attacks and what-not. Good show. :D

For me, onomatopoeia is so 'unnatural' sounding to speak aloud anyway, that's why it's mostly used in writing. So having it spoken aloud in one language, and translated in the subtitles in another language, when it's all just a step above nonsense anyway, doesn't make sense to me.

As for the attack names, man oh man, I'm sure I've said this before but maybe not on these forums, but I will never understood the point of translating a MADE UP Japanese word into a MADE UP English word. If it's not a real word in Japanese, there isn't bound to be a 'real' translation for it in English, so why bother?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

But hi does mean fire!

But there are some words that are sound words. Like boubou I think is the sound of boiling or sizzling or something? Such sound words don't appear in most standard Japanese-English dictionaries, and I think there's a reason for that, unless you want your dictionary looking like the list of comic book sound effects.

Besides, the songs are the songs. We could put the translations there, but they're set up a certain way to be rhythmicly satisfying in a certain way. I think it's just better to have it that way.

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”