Complacent masses
Favorite series: Liveman
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Be water, my friend.

Re: Why there's no KyoryuYellow

Post by GenaroOz »

FangTrigger wrote:
but there is a problem of translation, he has never said "Seeing how modern Yellows have been female, we couldn’t have a male Yellow. If the Yellow was a male, the kids would probably think is feminine and we wanted to avoid that.”

He says, "It has been continued that girls play Yellow members in recent Sentai series, so we have been afraid of that a new boy-Yellow member might have been received as womanish by recent kids. Therefore, in order to express absurd strength within a boy member, we have decided to avoid a new boy-Yellow member."

Yes, he does say "onnappoi" (女っぽい), which literally means "feminine", especially when you use it to girls.

But, for ordinary Japanese speakers, using "onnappoi" to a boy may mean "womanish" or "naïve", or "weak", if you have to say.

They just intend to avoid a boy-Yellow member in this particular season, not to avoid any Yellow member in whole Sentai series.

I hope my comment will help all of you to understand the difficulty of translation or interpretation.
It really did, thanks for explaining that.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I have to go with the original translator personally. I mean, I really don't think that their explanation makes very much sense since they say that to the Japanese, that means being "womanish" or "weak". That's because that's still equating women to being weak.

This is the line we're looking at, I presume:
『恐竜に打ち勝つ』必要があるので、“メチャクチャ強い”。それを表現するため男性メンバーの比率を高めました。また、ここのところイエローを女の子が演じる戦隊が続いているので、男の子がイエローだと、子どもたちに『女っぽい』と受け取られるのではないかという危惧もあり避けました」
"To beat the other dinosaurs, we need them to come off as extremely strong. We would have better chances of showing that by having male members. Recently, yellows have been portrayed by women, so we were afraid that if there were a male yellow, they would be received as being weak/feminine, so that's why we didn't have a yellow this time."

I mean, say what kind of bullshit you want about the Japanese culture, he prefixes it with "Girls have been portraying yellows up till now". It doesn't get that much clearer than that.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

takenoko wrote:I have to go with the original translator personally. I mean, I really don't think that their explanation makes very much sense since they say that to the Japanese, that means being "womanish" or "weak". That's because that's still equating women to being weak.

This is the line we're looking at, I presume:
『恐竜に打ち勝つ』必要があるので、“メチャクチャ強い”。それを表現するため男性メンバーの比率を高めました。また、ここのところイエローを女の子が演じる戦隊が続いているので、男の子がイエローだと、子どもたちに『女っぽい』と受け取られるのではないかという危惧もあり避けました」
"To beat the other dinosaurs, we need them to come off as extremely strong. We would have better chances of showing that by having male members. Recently, yellows have been portrayed by women, so we were afraid that if there were a male yellow, they would be received as being weak/feminine, so that's why we didn't have a yellow this time."

I mean, say what kind of bullshit you want about the Japanese culture, he prefixes it with "Girls have been portraying yellows up till now". It doesn't get that much clearer than that.
Funny part is almost all yellow girls were 'physically stronger ones' compared to pink girls in same series (Luca to Ahim, Natsuki to Sakura, Moune to Eri and even Kotoha to Mako) so instead of having a pink girl if they had a yellow girl it would make more sense according to their own wording.
Banjo
Infinity

Post by Banjo »

I hate teams with four guys to one girl. My favorite characters are usually the girls! And if that one girl isn't interesting, I tend to be bored by the show. (ex. Go-Busters, Zyuranger, Kyoryuger it looks like) But a good exception to this was Timeranger, which I liked. I also make an exception for Gekiranger since they had Mele too
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

Wow, looking back now, there were only three female yellows during the 90's and three male yellows during the 00's. In fact, the last male yellow was MagiYellow which is like 7 years ago.
Banjo wrote:I hate teams with four guys to one girl. My favorite characters are usually the girls! And if that one girl isn't interesting, I tend to be bored by the show. (ex. Go-Busters, Zyuranger, Kyoryuger it looks like) But a good exception to this was Timeranger, which I liked. I also make an exception for Gekiranger since they had Mele too
Meh, YMMV, but you're saying that show tends to be boring even if those other guys are interesting?
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

So it has become nearly official than in future sentai series, the yellow ranger would be a girl ?

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.
Joosche
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
My boom: High Fantasy

Post by Joosche »

Awesome will be the day that we'll discuss about girl with the red costume.
Tomos
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Languages/singing

Post by Tomos »

Don't get me started on sexism. The western world in particular is far more sexist to men than women. Japan's not quite as bad but it has it's moments.

Yes,there are always more men than women on ''boys'' shows,but what's even worse is that ''girls'' shows don't have any men at all.

Maybe Japan does have a few sexist views about women. But like any country,they are well aware of it and are trying to change it. It's just that change in Japan takes a long time so it's taking longer for women to catch up than in other countries.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Glutinus wrote:So it has become nearly official than in future sentai series, the yellow ranger would be a girl ?
Mostly depends on if Takahito Ohmori is Chief Producer during the future shows or not.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Tomos wrote:The western world in particular is far more sexist to men than women.
Ahahaha
Yes,there are always more men than women on ''boys'' shows,but what's even worse is that ''girls'' shows don't have any men at all.
Ahahahahahaha
Maybe Japan does have a few sexist views about women.
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Oh, my stars and garters, this is so precious. :3
CeronosLive
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by CeronosLive »

...Y'know this was something that didn't really need an answer in the first place.

...I'm really disappointed that is the reason though. :/ I was hoping it'd be a: "...Well, why not?" Kind of reason.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Joosche wrote:Awesome will be the day that we'll discuss about girl with the red costume.
Umm there is already a girl red. Real Shinkenred was girl after all and it was only show that had three girl sentai members at same time too. :P
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

Greenstalker wrote: Umm there is already a girl red. Real Shinkenred was girl after all and it was only show that had three girl sentai members at same time too. :P
We're talking about a real heroine !
I mean, Kaoru was here just for a few episodes, she was not the official ranger for me. And I was sorry that in Gokaiger she represented Shinkenger, I would have prefered Takeru or Ryuusuke.

If you seek shows with more girls, look at Dekaranger : DekaYellow, DekaPink, DekaSwan, DekaBright, DekaGold ;) (okay DekaSwan and DekaBright appear merely one or two episodes, and DekaGold in a movie)

But I'm ok with that : I would be happily surprised if there is a show with 3 girls and 2 boys to begin with, or a girl for the red ranger (from episode 1 to 50).

EDIT : my bad, I just read again your response, you're right, at the same moment there was a 3 girls / 2 boys party.

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.
Spiegel
Adventure
Favorite series: PGSM
2nd Favorite Series: W
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Spiegel »

Glutinus wrote:So it has become nearly official than in future sentai series, the yellow ranger would be a girl ?
No, not at all. He specifically mentioned strength as the reason they didn't want a male yellow (and more than one female hero). If all characters' strength isn't such a big deal next year they would probably at least consider a male yellow, even if it's just to mix things up again after years of female yellows.
In other seasons they don't have problems with weaker male heroes, Gokai Green for example, I doubt any kid thought of him as strong, he really was relatively weak physically, it wasn't just an assumption based on the color of his costume.

However, this entire explanaton by the producer is a little bit weird, if they wanted strong characters and only one female, wouldn't it have made more sense to drop pink and make the girl yellow? Pink is usually seen as the ultimate female color, so if they equate feminine with weak pink should have been out.
I think by not using yellow they also intended to break tradition and get a little bit extra attention, yellow hasn't been missing for decades and this color combination is unique, I think it makes people look twice if they're a little bit familiar with the super sentai franchise.
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

Glutinus wrote:
Greenstalker wrote: Umm there is already a girl red. Real Shinkenred was girl after all and it was only show that had three girl sentai members at same time too. :P
We're talking about a real heroine !
I mean, Kaoru was here just for a few episodes, she was not the official ranger for me. And I was sorry that in Gokaiger she represented Shinkenger, I would have prefered Takeru or Ryuusuke.

If you seek shows with more girls, look at Dekaranger : DekaYellow, DekaPink, DekaSwan, DekaBright, DekaGold ;) (okay DekaSwan and DekaBright appear merely one or two episodes, and DekaGold in a movie)

But I'm ok with that : I would be happily surprised if there is a show with 3 girls and 2 boys to begin with, or a girl for the red ranger (from episode 1 to 50).

EDIT : my bad, I just read again your response, you're right, at the same moment there was a 3 girls / 2 boys party.
What do you think will happen first? A show with 3 girls and 2 boys or a girl red? I think the girl red would happen if they decide to make everyone else a guy or something.

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”