Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kyouryuuger 08 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kyouryuuger_Brave_08

Oh boy, another Nobuo episode. At least we get to see Kinoshita Ayumi.

Actually, hints of the next member are showing up. So that's cool. Could have lived without all those puns though.

I do genuinely like that Nobuo's brother-in-law was the one to originally have that jacket and that at one point, Nobuo was some businessman who wore suits. Crazy.
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Kyouryuuger 08 released

Post by ViRGE »

As someone who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese I can't really appreciate the gags as they're delivered. But in lieu of that I just love the way they have Nossan deliver them; Japanese or English, there's only one proper way to deliver a bad pun.:P And for a character whose defining trait is bad jokes and otherwise being a clown, this episode was surprisingly good. Normally these episodes end up falling flat for one reason or another.

Meanwhile, the MOTW's designs was one of the weirder ones, but it's nice to break the mold. It vaguely reminds me of Aku due to the teeth and the widely spaced eyes.

On a side note, what's up with the lack of cold opens lately? The last two episodes have suddenly done away with them. Not that it really matters, but it's an odd and seemingly sudden change.

Spoiler
So we're getting the 6th ranger already? How early have previous teams reached this point? This seems like a good 5-8 episodes before they normally show up. Not that I'm complaining, but there must be some significance to doing it this early.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Nobuo in suit was cool. Too many puns to handle though.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Mostly random thoughts this week for an entertaining filler.

I love Rika. Ignores the illusions, rescues her Uncle in a haunted house, proudly boasts that she’s KyouryuuBlue’s niece, then helps break the barrier around the amusement park. Nossan's puns were great too. The writers probably had fun with this script.

The dots appearing on the screen during the silence in the opening scene was pretty funny.

I find it bizarre that Jasmine calls her (dead) husband “Kenichi-san”. That's surprisingly formal.

Daigo...you don’t nod when someone asks sarcastically if you think they’re brainless!

I suspect the monster's scythe was in the shape of a flag because of the flags that tour guides hold to prevent groups from getting lost. If so, nice irony.

Not that impressed with Igeranodon. Honestly, at least Ovirappoo had a scientific/technical explanation apart from the gag of it looking like a fart. I can't think of anything scientific about a bunch of hands materializing to tickle a monster.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I find it bizarre that Jasmine calls her (dead) husband “Kenichi-san”. That's surprisingly formal.

Actually, it's super common. I don't know what the deal is besides seeing it a lot. It's not that uncommon and I don't thiiiink it means that there's a cold rift in the relationship. Maybe it's something parents do when they have kids?

Or maybe it's representative of the unequal relationships between husbands and wives in Japan?
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i'm surprised by how much foreshadowing they are doing with the sixth ranger. first we have ramirez, who explains that there are not only more mechas, but that there are more kyoryugers. then we have chaos revealing he has pteragodon and an episode with him managing to get control over it. now we have this episode were they show the shadow of a ranger. i'm just saying, normally the sixth ranger just show-up out of nowhere and the thing is "by the way, turns out there is another ranger". all this build-up is really nice.

Clark kenting is full power here. she is unable to get her brother is kyoryublue. also, nossan is an idiot. you don't use you gags to the ONE person who not only knows them, but that you don't want to discover your identity.

i have to say, it is touching that nossan's brother-in-law liked his gags...or i guess his sister chose him because he reminded him of nossan. but i like that nossan gave up his work to help his family. while i don't know how much he earned with his previous job, i know that he probably left a stable job so he could help his sister and niece.

they REALLY should have left the henshin theme out when nossan transformed, it really get's in the way of the piano cover.

don't be so bad with him for not wanting to fake being the father. it is a little uncomfortable to fake being married to your own sister...

Torin is quickly becoming one of the most useful mentors i have ever seen, and SPD had the mentor fighting alongside them!
ChibiZyuJin
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by ChibiZyuJin »

These minor dinosaours are getting sillier each episode.

We had:
Elastic Dino
Love Dino
Fart dino
and now a Tickle Dino. Really? What now a sneeze dino? Hair loss Dino? Oh I got it; smelly feet dino.

I know this is a kids show but c'mon.

Henshin theme is getting annoying. Destroying the mood in everyway. It is not that bad when someone transforms when atmoshphere is light but when things get serious it ruins everything. Just destroys my whole consentration.

By the way, 6th usually joins the team between 14-21 episodes. I believe 6th will run with evil geng for a while. (Or there are 5 additional rangers and Gold won't be our 6th like Ramirez but this is unlikely since they worked on Gold that much.)
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

Just saw the episode, and I'm like... yeah. Just the vocal inflections alone were enough for me to pinch the bridge of my nose until it was over. Other than that, I wonder what would happen should the mask symbol they have on gets completely destroyed?
Cthulhu
Infinity
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: Go over time and space

Post by Cthulhu »

Spoiler
So ... Dogoldo is Raigel all over again ... i wonder about the other three
KisekiRed
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Favorite Actor?: Hiroya Matsumoto
Favorite Band: D'espairsray
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Toku and Visual Kei
Quote: "The only way to get away from loneliness is to love it" - Moi Dix Mois

Post by KisekiRed »

Think their going way to much into the comedy thing. Personally if they want to do the whole comedy, they should look at Go-Onger. that was great. I'm not saying it should be like Go-Onger, it's just the battery powers are kind of. . . (can't find a word for it). Anywho, I think it is starting to turn around now. The last episode was ok and this episode was better. It's a bit heartbreaking to see Rika not really remember her father, but I guess that's just life.

Spoiler
I think Degold or Dogold. I am too tired to look for the spelling is more like Wolzard. He DOES have Gold in his name. Perhaps he might be the sixth senshi. We'll just have to wait and see.
Completed Rider Series: Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze
Completed Sentai Series: Dairanger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

As a strong Deka fan, I can't bring myself to consider Nobuo's sister as a character who is completely independent from Jasmine. So her innermost anguish of losing her husband and the worry over her daughter's future - seem like a side of Jasmine that fits, yet we never saw it in 2004. We've never seen Jasmine talk about her family in Deka. True, she's come to terms with her ESP but to the end, she's never spoken about her family, or her yearning for one since she lost out on social relationships as a child. Even though this is in a separate show, seeing that illusion scene was great, and I was wishing that this had been done in Deka.

OK - enough of my Jasmine talk,

Nothing much to say apart from that. This episode was good, I can appreciate the (bad) puns, and the Kyoryuugers have continued the Sentai tradition of being the weaker, but smarter faction (from Taisen Z) with all that solid strategizing to break the barrier. I'll admit that when I saw Souji slashing the barrier at first, I kinda visualised Shiba Takeru appearing with the Rekka Daizantou... (I knew it wasn't gonna happen but still, a fan is a fan!) But even if the episode had turned out bad, seeing Jasmine is satisfying enough. I'd go wild for Shinkenger or Dekaranger guest appearances any day...
dekamaster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: magiranger
My boom: sentai/kamen rider

Post by dekamaster »

Liked the episode, didn't care for the tickle battery but thought it was funny to watch him get shot to death out of the blue without the camera even shifting back to the kyouryuugers.

also crazy idea struck me during this episode but what if the reason that the kyouryuugers are already fighting the three generals is because they intend to give all three of them a battery. I know it's not likely and that the odds are like 9000 to 1 but still who doesn't think that would be cool to see.
series I've watched

sentai:Live,Dai,deka,magi,geki,go on,shinken,gosei,gokai,go busters

kamen rider:ZX,ryuki,Decade,W,OOO,fourze
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

So Kenichi-san is Alternate Tendou Souji from Kamen Rider Decade? Interesting. I thought this was a good episode and I liked the use of the illusions to make the characters see their deceased loved ones. Nobuo and his "Clark Kent" skills will eventually catch up to him as the season goes by. He's already started to get figured out. Lol..But yeah, surprised to see a glimpse of the next Kyouryuuger member. I don't remember them teasing it this early. At least this show is trying to build up tension and not random things that happen out of nowhere.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

So, Nossan was actually a succesful salaryman, but he quit to take care of his family. Pretty cool.

Igeranodo is super lame.

So, 6th is gold and the enemy's name is DoGold... LEt's see how that develops.
qedins
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Favorite Actor?: Riisa Naka
Favorite Band: L'arc en Ciel
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: "Where's our eccentric?"
"I'm right here!"
"No. I mean sempai."
"Oh."