ZyuRanger without the Jews
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Kyouryuuger 10 released

Post by Lunagel »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kyouryuuger_Brave_10

God I hope Utsusemimaru gets a nickname soon or else I'm going to die from typing his name so often.

Pretty cool episode, a titch hard to translate all of Gold's thunder/lightning attacks since Japanese basically uses the two words interchangeably. I like Gold's backstory, it's been a while since we had a gozaru-ing samurai. (He's also pretty easy on the eyes~)

I'm actually rather surprised (but really happy) that Ramirez is still showing up in the series. It's nice to know they're not just throwing away characters.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kyouryuu 10

Post by takenoko »

Pretty fun. I like all the stuff Amy is doing, like saving Souji and bringing Ramirez.

I like how Ian is like "ugh, I have to use this fart attack to get away".

I don't know if it's that interchangeable. Raiden is probably lightning, but raimei and kaminari should probably be thunder. I mean, it's pretty interchangeable in English too, just lightning is more about the physical bolt itself and thunder more the sound?

I like Gold's wings. I liked Peteraiden-Oh better before I saw his attacks.
SpinelSun
Faiz
Favorite series: Kabuto,Decade,@DEEP
2nd Favorite Series: Magi,Deka,Shinken
Dreamy: Matsushima Hatsune
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by SpinelSun »

takenoko wrote:I don't know if it's that interchangeable. Raiden is probably lightning, but raimei and kaminari should probably be thunder. I mean, it's pretty interchangeable in English too, just lightning is more about the physical bolt itself and thunder more the sound?
The way I understand it is
雷 (Kaminari/Ikazuchi) Thunder (sound) but sometimes the flash of lightning
稲妻 [電] (Inazuma) always the flash of Lightning
雷電 (Raiden) Lightning, but also sometimes "Thunder and Lightning"
雷鳴 (Raimei) Thunder, but with the kanji for sound after. Since kaminari is sometimes used to describe the flash.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

How shocking! Not to rumble with you, but I don't know about kaminari/ikauzchi. Both my dictionary and jisho.org are pretty static with "thunder" as the definitions.
http://jisho.org/words?jap=ikazuchi&eng=&dict=edict

Jap? What a bolt of racism! I cannot believe they can discharge such a roaring boom of insensitivity!
SpinelSun
Faiz

Post by SpinelSun »

takenoko wrote:How shocking! Not to rumble with you, but I don't know about kaminari/ikauzchi. Both my dictionary and jisho.org are pretty static with "thunder" as the definitions.
Oh, I never ment to insinuate that those were the straight-up dictionary definitions. Just from what I've seen them used as in japanese TV and comics (no specific examples to cite tho.)
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

See, I thought they were pretty static too, but when I tried explaining thunder and lightning in English to a Japanese speaker, I used "kaminari" to translate "thunder" and "ikazuchi" to translate "lightning" and ended up confusing them because apparently to them the two words were nearly the same, and they were actually shocked to find out English has different words for the two. I dunno, could've been just that person.
SpinelSun
Faiz

Post by SpinelSun »

Lunagel wrote:See, I thought they were pretty static too, but when I tried explaining thunder and lightning in English to a Japanese speaker, I used "kaminari" to translate "thunder" and "ikazuchi" to translate "lightning" and ended up confusing them because apparently to them the two words were nearly the same, and they were actually shocked to find out English has different words for the two. I dunno, could've been just that person.
That's what I thought too. Kaminari=Thunder, Ikazuchi=Lightning. But for Kaminari/Ikazuchi its the same kanji 雷 just a different reading. And as far as i've seen, the dictionary definition is the same for both readings. Inazuma (稲妻 (電)) however, is always used to refer to the flash of lightning not the sound (thunder)

I've seen it complicated like this in english as well.
Personally for me it's, Thunder=the sound, Lightning=the flash. However i've seen people use Thunder=the flash, Thunder clap=the sound.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Power Rangers Thunder Zoid, I summon you!
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Good first impressions for Gold, all the way around. It’s nice how his transformation music and “dance” reference the era he comes from. His costume is a nice compromise of matching the rest of the team yet still have some individual flair. Gold’s wings are impressive in CGI form, but the flaps look a little silly when they’re not in use because of the way they bounced around.

As for his attacks, they’re pretty cool. It was uniquely helpful of “Zandar Thunder” to write out its own name as it was slamming into the target. I was a little confused, though. Does Gold have an extra battery, or did the writers miscount? He used one to transform, three ZyuDenchi in the sword, and still had one to activate his mecha.

Other points:
-Torin saying “There are many things I cannot tell you yet.” Of course he can’t - they can’t risk him spoiling something that will pop up later in the series. Daigo accepting that with a nod and a smile didn’t shock me, but Nossan and Ian were surprisingly nonchalant about Torin keeping secrets.
-Ian’s line not long after that: “Unlike my partner, Gold is still alive.” Now, why does that make me so very suspicious? Oh, right. It’s because Ian got blasted away before he could go over to his friend’s “dead” body.
-That “kids don’t do that at home” message during Amy’s flashback made me think Akibaranger had invaded.
-It was nice to see Souji’s dad again, both because he got to help out and for being worried about his son.
-Gabutyra looked like a dog with a bone they way he was gnawing on Pteragordon for most of the battle.
-They knew that Gold was back because the mecha ripped the cape off. So, capes = evil? Good thing these guys will probably never meet the Magirangers.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I always figured that they had the three batteries on their belts for the weapon attacks and the transformation one didn't count. But I can't be arsed to double check.

I love Ian's line. Yeah, Go-On black is super dead, remember that kids XD

I liked seeing Amy in a different outfit than her Kyouryuu civilian outfit.
SpinelSun
Faiz

Post by SpinelSun »

yeah, gold seems to have 5 or 6. while the others have 4.

Snipped for unrelease content
Sefiros
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Coto Pablo
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Sorbo
Favorite Band: Various
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Henshin
Quote: "Life must be experienced, not taught."

Re: Kyouryuu 10 released

Post by Sefiros »

why is DeBoss active in the Warring States Era? I thought they were trapped in ice after the dinosaurs' extinction.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Only the leader was trapped in the frozen castle. Chaos and the others have been active. Don't forgot about Ramiez who fought centuries before Gold did.
Sefiros
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Coto Pablo
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Sorbo
Favorite Band: Various
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Henshin
Quote: "Life must be experienced, not taught."

Post by Sefiros »

I wonder if the other rangers (KyouryuuGrey, etc) will be from other eras.
Blaze Dragon
Infinity
2nd Favorite Series: W/Fourze
Favorite Band: TETRA-FANG
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Dejimanz

Post by Blaze Dragon »

Man, Utsusemimanthat'salongname is a pretty cool guy. And his theme song is awesome. And he's a samurai. A gold samurai.

...Sixth Ranger who's a samurai and gold...sounds familiar...must be my imagination.

You can see that his morals are different from the rest...or at least, that he doesn't seem to get that King is just a nickname, and Daigo doesn't rule over anything. Then again, considering his previous lord was Daigo with a moustache...

A bit on your translation though, you translated KyoryuGold's second attack as "Thunder Cannon". However, it's name in Japanese is 雷電飛翔斬り Raiden Hishō Giri, which would translate to, more or less, Thunderstorm Flying Slash (from my limited Japanese knowledge, Wikipedia uses Lightning Flying Slash instead). Plus "Thunder Cannon" makes no sense whatsoever. You probably misheard it.

Also Pteraiden-Oh was cooler with the cape. And could do with a cooler finisher, but I'm guessing they're saving that for whenever it combines with anything.

Oh, and it was cool to see Ramirez back. I wish he had untransformed at some point, but oh well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlazeDragonEternal My Youtube channel. Has whatever I've uploaded that I know Toei won't delete and close my account with!

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”