ZyuRanger without the Jews
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Kyouryuuger the Movie - Gaburincho of Music released

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/ZyuDen_Sen ... o_of_Music

I thought the point of adding Ucchii in so early was so he could get more screen time?! He shows up like halfway through, lame!

Well, the villainesses' voices got really grating really fast. It's a good thing they only have like 5 lines of dialogue.

Secret identity? What secret identity?

Was Aigallon doing Gangnam Style to Candelira's song?!

And DeathBuster is just Dragon Ranger, awesome. I can't decide if he's a Zyuranger reference or not.

Overall a very typical sentai movie. Light on plot and gets to the resolution wayyyyy too fast. Somehow far too short and yet drags on forever.

Also, I just know the karaoke is going to be a pain in the ass.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Zyuden Sentai Kyouryuuger the Movie - Gaburincho of Musi

Post by takenoko »

I loved this movie. We need way more musicals. The songs were fun and upbeat. There's a certain sweetness to the Dino Soul song, that's really obvious when you see the extended footage.

My favorite: Short and sweet. No incomprehensible bullshit bogging it down.

What's bizarre to me is the explanation that happens in the tie-in episode, features a flashback that doesn't happen in the theatrical cut. That's super weird!

Edit for the dinosaur museum plug:
It kind of sounds like most of them are just reading off a script. Souji's actor is the only one who actually seemed excited about being there. He's the only one who didn't fake being scared by the dinosaur too, although he called it a raptor when I think it's supposed to be a small T-rex.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I’ve been enjoying Kyouryuuger and I love musicals. Therefore, I was initially baffled by how much I disliked this movie. I think calling it a “musical” is the first problem. One song being repeated over and over, plus a random villain music video with no connection to the plot, does not make a musical. I’m not counting the insert songs because, while they sound really good, they’re still only in the background, which is no different than a regular episode...of any sentai.

I think the second problem is how disjointed the movie is. The cut scenes wouldn’t have added that much time to the movie, but they cover a lot of details that end up being necessary to tell a complete story.

Deathryuuger/D is a decent villain, but I think we got a better feel for his motivations in Episode 39 than in this movie. The less said about the annoying henchwomen the better. They truly served no purpose other than to be eye candy. Even D calls them out on their uselessness in the cut scenes.

Why do we not see Ucchii until the movie is halfway over? Or get some explanation about where he was?

One note that’s kind-of positive - I liked that they incorporated some dancing into the melee battle in the theater at the beginning. It’s been a while since they’ve done that in the series. Speaking of not doing things in the series, that’s only the second time that I can remember someone not being able to fight because they depleted the ZyuDenchi. I remember thinking at the beginning of the series that the batteries being drained was going to be a frequent occurrence. Guess I was wrong.

The bits with the cast talking about the museum were fun to watch, albeit also horribly awkward at times. I haven’t brushed up on my dinos for a few years, but I’m pretty sure the animatronic they were in front of was a raptor. Daigo waves to the big room when he refers to a T-Rex, but Ian’s the one who (incorrectly) refers to the little one as a tyrannosaurus.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

The movie just moves at light speed.

I always feel that given enough time, Sentai movies can be as epic as any other movie. But the half an hour time frame just prevent any kind of build up. The story doesn't flow, points are mentioned but not explained, scenes just jump from one to another without allowing the audience to stop and think the significance behind of what just happened.

I mean, this could be a really good story with proper build up. The first battle the first ZyuDenRyuu and first Chevalier, how Torin lost Tobaspino to D, how Daigo met Mikoto, what happened between them to make her so special to Daigo. These are all the foundation of this story, the audience are suppose to understand the importance behind them, and yet there're just mentioned very briefly, you blink and you'll have missed it totally.

The character "D" was never explained. How and why the hell did Chaos bring him back from the death 100 million years ago, what did Chaos want from D in the first place if he just let D lose like that, and where did Chaos come up with Tobaspino's ZyuDenChi.

And, as mentioned by above, relevant explanation are cut from the movie. Torin recognizing that Mikoto's song is the prayer song from 100 million years ago; and I was totally surprised that Torin's explanation of Kyouryuuger's origin as mentioned in episode 29, that music is within humanity's genes and its the source of power, is not part of the actual movie. I mean, it's the foundation of this whole series and why this is a "musical" movie, and they could only include it in cut scene footage?

I love Kyouryuuger, but this movie just doesn't connect with me.

Overall, if you are looking for action and explosion, it does not disappoint.

Edit: Change to "100 years" to "100 million years"
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O

Post by PHurricane »

One last point I forgot - I know it got mentioned in the episode thread, but I never realized while the commercials were airing all summer that Meeko's actress was Tama-chan from Rescue Fire. It was awesome to see her again, and she has a great voice.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

This is my problem with Sentai movies. It feels like we are missing so much of the story. Just like in the Shinkenger movie, it feels like we joined in during the second or third act and the movie is already about to wrap up.
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Sauce »

The two villain girls are just kind of there, huh?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

When I heard it was going to be a musical, I was worried. The songs where amazing though.

Also, lol Ucchii. Shutting the goggles to avoid the music? Classic.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Really feels rushed. And that's why Sentai movies should be given more time budget, otherwise, it just feels like another episode that they can put in the series instead.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

That's what happens when they have double features with Kamen Rider. Until Toei decides to stop doing summer double features, Sentai movies will suffer. I was surprised as well by the removal of the scene when they talked the ancient music in the museum when they were trying to revive Torin.
methos
7X
Favorite series: KRW

Post by methos »

I think this movie would have a lot better if they'd been able to leave in most of the cut content. Several of those cut scenes would have smoothed the movie out. It's not awful and I don't think it's the worst Sentai movie I've seen (I think the Goseiger and Shinkenger summer movies give it some competition there), but as it is I can't say it's good either. Or a musical.

I was kinda amused that Nossan seemed ok with revealing his identity as a Kyoryuger at a concert for a famous pop idol in front of at least a hundred people. Cause you'd think he'd be worried about his sister hearing about it.
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Kyouryuuger the Movie - Gaburincho of Music released

Post by ViRGE »

I would add something insightful here, but I think everyone has hit the high points. The movie is disjoint because it's too short, leading to a number of important plot elements being cut. The villains are equally underdeveloped, and I guess Sentai is now in need of eye candy?

On the positive side, the action was well done as always. Koichi's trademark style is a nice way to spice up fights and make them stand out, so it worked well here. Unfortunately the action is really all there is that did work well.

Finally, on a technical note: no 5.1 audio in the HD release? The previous Sentai movies had a 5.1 track, and the stereo track included in this release certainly sounds like it was originally mixed in 5.1.

Oh, and the Museum video has rather significant interlacing artifacts. This presumably came from a Blu-Ray, so it normally wouldn't even be interlaced. But it looks like it wasn't properly deinterlaced at some point. I don't know if this is a source problem or something TVN did.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I didn't encode the museum segment, so I'll have to look at it. It's probably something we did.

I just forgot the surround sound track for the movie. I can release a v2 once we find out what happened with the museum segment.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Looks like the Museum footage was made from 29.970 footage that was assumed to be 23.976. I'll fix that then add the surround sound track to the movie. Thanks for your help virge
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

The best thing in the movie was D. His insert song. His fighting skills and his voice actor. I enjoyed seeing the Kyouryuuger being just blown out of the water.
I wasn't expecting it to be so darn short. And I was expecting a muscial. Y'know something Disney like with songs for every major event.
And I dunno why but Meeko seemed really awkward to me. This time having a cute gravure idol just didn't sit right with me.

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”