Kyouryuugers Compared To Abarangers, Zyurangers

ZyuRanger without the Jews
DarkRobin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Kyouryuugers Compared To Abarangers, Zyurangers

Post by DarkRobin »

Now that the Kyouryuugers is nearing its finale, how does everyone feel about this series compared to the past Dinosaurs-themed super sentais or your favorite sentai? Has this sentai become your new favorite?

It was about 20 years ago when I first saw a super sentai series, Zyurangers being the second, and Kyouryuugers makes me feel a bit of irony. Because while Super Sentai franchise primarily targets children, their plots often can be interesting and entertaining to teenagers and older audiences. But the current Super Sentai, Kyouryuugers is more designed for kids than most if not all past sentais. Having dinosaurs as the main theme pull the heartstrings of children, and the dances or other festivities they have in the show, also seem more enjoyable to youngest viewers. As far as the details of the plots go, Kyouryuugers is very similar to Gaorangers, with more comedic scenes.

Unlike Zyurangers and Abarangers, Kyouryuugers is the first one which the sentai members didn't already know the identities of other comrades, which shows the importance in red ranger's role is making the sentai stronger. Also, this sentai finally use extinction of dinosaurs as background for the villains, whereas in past dino-sentais, the extinction had only indirect or no relation the the enemies of Abrangers and Zyurangers. Unlike the first two dino-sentais, Kyouryuugers don't have any characters or people that are evolved from dinosaurs. In my opinion, Kyouryuugers would serve better as the first dino-sentai than Zyurangers as it seems to have the least complicated storyline, no drama and almost black & white with no gray area, except their mentor figure, Torin being originated from the villain Deboss. Then again, all super sentai series is more or less a team fighting against a group that represents a force of evil what wants to harm mankind, so it doesn't matter if Kyouryuugers came before or after Zyurangers or Abarangers. Still, it would serve best as anyone's first Super Sentai experience.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Kyouryuugers Compared To Abarangers, Zyurangers

Post by Catastrophe »

To be honest, its got more in common with Abaranger than Zyuranger. Zyu is pretty much about a Witch that hates both kids and dinosaurs and plots to accommodate that. Most of the over arching plot is quite rubbish to be honest.

Aba has that whole aliens and evil life form thing that everyone is shit scared of, similar to Deboss and the Deboss Legion. You are correct in saying that Kyoryu is kiddy, but it is a kids show. I'm really liking it compared to the other ones. The writing is amazing.

One thing that Aba had over the others was AbareKiller though.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe pretty much captured my point. Kyou is pretty awesome. It's got good characters, fun dialogue, and the bad guys are excellent. The fact that it doesn't take itself serious, and actively defies tropes works in its favor.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Kind of odd how every dinosaur sentai has the "Sixth" Ranger begin his run as a bad guy, though.

Oh fuck! Utsusemimaru, please don't keep up the end the other two followed. ;___;
DarkRobin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by DarkRobin »

dancercotillion wrote:Kind of odd how every dinosaur sentai has the "Sixth" Ranger begin his run as a bad guy, though.

Oh fuck! Utsusemimaru, please don't keep up the end the other two followed. ;___;

Technically, Aba-killer was a fifth ranger

I hightly doubt they'll kill Utsusemimaru, I've mentioned earlier Kyouryuugers' plot details are very similar to Gaorangers. KyouryuuGold's background is nearly identical to GaoSilver, who lives at the end of Gaorangers. So I believe KyouryuuGold will survives the series.

I've recently watches a few episodes from Zyurangers and Abarangers. I think Zyurangers had quite a few filler episodes which were somewhat waste of time. I also saw a scene in which TopGale carried his partner Abakiller until they both exploded. I still think the the previous dino-sentai had more drama.

Bandora's hatred for kids and dinosaurs may not be shallow. [snip]. Deboss's action for causing extinction has yet to be revealed, it could be he is a form of God of destruction or living disease, making him a living machine for extinction, which means Bandora's evil was a bit more complicated or emotional.

One thing Kyouryuugers have that may be more dramatic than Zyu is Sentai memebers' rivalries or feelings toward the villains. Ian and Ucchi have grudges against Aigallon and Dogold as Aigallon killed Ian's best friend , Dogold took over Ucchi's body for 400 years, and Nobuharu harbors some feelings for Candelira. Zyurangers definitely didn't such feelings against the Bandora gang. I don't know about Abarangers. They have more rangers than the other two sentai, so more character interactions. Other than that, Kyouryuugers is mostly comedy.
Last edited by XIII on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no spoilers for unreleased eps
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Some laws break you.

Obviously Abarekiller was the fifth member of the team, if you must pedant all over the place. The name really doesn't matter, he fits all the Sixth Ranger notes; he has his own special changer, his own special uniform, and he completely shakes up the team dynamic simply by existing. He's also a huge toolbag at first, which seems to be fairly common with these guys.

Really, the issue (beyond you taking things literally for no reason) is that we insist on using the term "Sixth Ranger" when not every team's numbering works with that name. AbareKiller was the fifth guy to join the team, Gekiranger's so fucked Toei just threw their hands up and declared all five of them regular Rangers, and let's not even get into people like ShinkenRed-hime, Zubaan, and Wolzard Fire.
DarkRobin
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by DarkRobin »

dancercotillion wrote:Obviously Abarekiller was the fifth member of the team, if you must pedant all over the place. The name really doesn't matter, he fits all the Sixth Ranger notes; he has his own special changer, his own special uniform, and he completely shakes up the team dynamic simply by existing. He's also a huge toolbag at first, which seems to be fairly common with these guys.

Really, the issue (beyond you taking things literally for no reason) is that we insist on using the term "Sixth Ranger" when not every team's numbering works with that name. AbareKiller was the fifth guy to join the team, Gekiranger's so fucked Toei just threw their hands up and declared all five of them regular Rangers, and let's not even get into people like ShinkenRed-hime, Zubaan, and Wolzard Fire.
I did say "technically"
Sixth ranger or not, the chance of Gold dying seems low at this point. Unlike Burai whose life was limited and AbaKiller, whose transformation device was unstable and would explode. They don't have such plot set up for Utsusemimaru. Even if they did, it hardly seems matter in this sentai, as they already have two rangers who are dead, the spirit rangers Tessi and Ramirez. So Ucchi might just become a spirit ranger if he dies.

Catastrophe mentioned Kyouryuugers having more in common with Abarangers than Zyuranger, there's one thing he didn't mention in that regard, the mechas from Kyouryuugers are basically the based on the same dinosaurs the Bakuryū of Abarangers, except Tobaspino and Plezuo.
Last edited by DarkRobin on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nutcracker23
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Decade
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Kadoya Tsukasa
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryosei
Favorite Band: JAM Project MUSE
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: I Know Right
Quote: Winning is about everything, in reality there's no such thing call cheating, so winning was take whatever necessary to achieve it, that's include cheating.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Nutcracker23 »

in kyouryu only 2 things that caught me.. First is Souji and second is Luckyuro
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

Kyouryuuger seems to be sort of a mixture, with some of the story elements of Abaranger but with more of the silliness that was Zyuranger.

While I'm reserving my final judgment of the series until I see the ending, I think Kyouryuuger is approximately middle-of-the-road in regards to the sentai series that I've seen.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Kuchiri »

To Clear things up as explained in Gokai. Probably should also go into the wiki but I'm too lazy.

Main Rangers - Anyone who made up the core team, the three times they have stretched the rule to include people out of the core team was in Liveman, Abaranger, and Gekiranger. Black Bison and Green Sai are considered Core Liveman. AbareBlack is core Abaranger. Gekiviolet and GekiChopper are core Gekiranger. Even though they SHOULD be Sixth rangers.
Sixth Ranger/s - Someone who is completely separate from the core team that joins later. Tends to have something extra or different about their outfit. AbareKiller falls here. The five extra rangers in Kyouryu also falls here.
Extra Rangers - Anyone who is Ranger-like, they tend to show up a handful of times to help the main sentai out. Lady ShinkenRed, Mele, Singalman falls here.

I believe I said it at the start when everyone was hating how fast the start of the plot was going that the show was going to get epic. However my issue is at this point of time I've forgotten most of the main plotpoints since they have a different storyarc every five weeks. I like how there isn't as much filler as past seasons has had.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Some laws break you.

I would throw KyouryuuCyan, Grey, Violet, and Silver into the Extra Dudes category, because their uniforms and changers (if they have them) are the same as the main team. I mean, that's my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's how Toei breaks them down as well. Utsusemimaru has all his own unique kit, after all.
methos
7X
Favorite series: KRW
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by methos »

Kyoryuger seems to be having fun shaking up the usual Core/Sixth/Extra formula a little bit. The Core and Sixth are pretty simple, and Cyan and Grey would likely fall into Extras since they show up only occasionally and are, well, dead. But I dunno about Violet and Silver.

I'm inclined to say Violet's an extra since she shows up about as often (in ranger form) as Grey and Cyan and also tends to get paired up with them. Silver is pretty much a Seventh to me at this point though. He has his own unique weapons, he's been in the team roll calls alot lately, and he helps pilot the final mecha. But I could just as easily consider him an extra too.

As for how this show compares, well, I haven't really seen much of Abaranger outside of clips, and Zyuranger doesn't seem to have aged well. So I have a hard time comparing them, to be honest.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Kuchiri »

Considering they all fullfill the Sixth role at times, they are all Sixth rangers. Besides they are all grouped up by the Maximum ZyuDenChi
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Some laws break you.

No no, Sixth is a very specific thing with easily-identifiable markers. For instance, KyouryuuGold is the Sixth Ranger of his series because he uses his little ptera-changer-brace-thing to transform. Every single other Kyouryuuger uses a GabuRevolver, if they are alive (Torin's is just a recolour, it's a cash-grab on Bandai's part). As well, his costume is grossly different from the others'.

You can see this pattern repeat almost endlessly from Dairanger on. Magishine wears armour and uses a ticket-punch to transform instead of a cellphone. GokaiSilver has a scanner thing and dresses like a swabbie instead of a buccaneer. AbareKiller's bracelet had to be pulled out instead of squeezed to be set, and he doesn't match the others at all. Then you get odd ones like GekiViolet being the Sixth for his team if you go strictly by unique changers (but GekiChopper might be because he has the unique, defining weapon), or you could make a great argument for Goseiger not even having a Sixth, because GoseiKnight doesn't have a human form at all, he's just a robot lion head which walks around and is a jerk.

It's a category which gets fuzzy fast, but it seems blindingly clear to me that Utsusemimaru is the only Sixth for Kyouryuuger, and all the other dudes are just bonus Rangers.

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”