Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kyouryuuger 43 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kyouryuuger_Brave_43

What a rad episode. We meet Souji's mom, Dogold and Ucchii continue their rivalry, and we see Torin's human form.

Still, kind of wish we saw more of Souji's girlfriend in his episodes.

Speaking of Torin, how many voice actors have we seen so far? Let's count
*Torin
*The narrator
*Candelira
*Aigallon
*Luckyuro

All that leaves is Dogold, Chaos, and Endolf. We're over halfway through!

Oh, and it's rad that Souji's mother is played by DynaPink. Because then we can draw some other connections. First, his father is played by the fabulously prolific Haruta Junichi, who was DynaBlack. But did you know their given names are also from Dynaman? Souji's dad is Genryuu and his mom is Reiko. DynaBlack was Ryuu and DynaPink was Rei.

I vaguely remember looking up DynaPink because they mentioned her on AkibaRangers once. Can we say that Sentai actors playing the parents of Sentai characters is a trope? (From Boukenger, Natsuki's parents were also yellow sentai members, for example.)

Edit:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Trope_Sentai_Parents

I made this page, if you guys want to help me fill it out. That'd be cool.
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Re: Kyouryuuger 43 released

Post by Sauce »

Forgot Souji's (not?-)girlfriend existed. Poor girl.

Interesting that Torin disguises himself as a human for the first time just to meet Souji's parents. I guess he really likes the kid. His clothes are a throwback to Big One, too, which is cool.

Apparently when you use Trinity Straizer you mutate in a horrific fashion and big ass wings spurt from your back for a few seconds. Gross.

Looking forward, I'm curious what Dogold's deal is. Where's his loyalty and what's he planning? Also wondering who the hooded guys are. Maybe one of them is Souji's girlfriend and that's why she never shows up, ever.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Wow what an ep. I think this is my favourite Souji ep so far.

I really enjoyed numerous things but I will only list a few here: Sayoko Hagiwara portraying Souji's mum and making an excellent choice for Jun'ichi Haruta (who played DynaBlack (and also GoggleBlack one year earlier)), Souji needing some "spirit" to complete his technique, the ongoing plot with Dogold and his rivalry with Ucchi and so on.

Ahahaha the way Souji's mother pays for Souji's drink is identical to how his father did in ep 3. Excellent stuff, Sanjou Riku.

Torin's human disguise reminded me of Soukichi Banba/Big One from JAKQ. Rad.

Souji's mother's company logo is based on roses, and that's a nice reference since DynaPink's attacks involved roses. I think DynaPink's finisher was "Rose Finale".

Oh you raised the defeat flag Endolf with the "It will be the same no matter how many of you there are." line.

Nice to see Raiden Kyouryuujin get some more screen time. Also liked how one of its manouevres was initiated by KyouryuuGold's movements, it really just adds to this Ucchi/Dogold rivalry with Ucchi being more drawn into the battle than usual.

Heh, Nossan crying at the end. Makes sense since he's the family guy. It's details like these which move Kyouryuuger from a great sentai to an amazing sentai.

And as usual, some hints of what will follow. Black and white mysterious enemies. Dogold's line is a bit puzzling with regards to Aigallon and Luckyuro - will something happen to them? I hope not. And I hope Dogold stands up to them like they stood up for him when he was about to be crashed by Endolf in ep 42 - but I doubt it since he has no pride left.

Ok sentai parents that come to mind:

Miki from Gekiranger played Mako/ShinkenPink's mother in Shinkenger (ep 34 I think).
Not sure if you want to add this, but Machiko Soga appeared for one episode in Maskman as Baraba's mother. (Baraba is an enemy to the Maskman)
BoukenYellow's mother was portrayed by MegaYellow and BoukenSilver's mother was portrayed by MegaPink.

Other parents in sentai I can think of are Ryou's in Dairanger, Tsuruhime's in Kakuranger, parents in GoGoV, Sae/GaoWhite's in Gaoranger, BoukenRed's father in the summer movie, Jan/GekiRed's father, Ran/GekiYellow's mother, and the parents of the Go-busters. Not sure if any of these have been past sentai members, haven't had much time to check.

Oh and of course, the ultimate case are MagiMother and Wolzard Fire, who apart from being sentai heroes they are also the parents of other 5 sentai heroes. Heh nice.

EDIT: Looking at the wiki page, just to note that Jun'ichi Haruta was Kanpei Kuroda (黒田官平) / GoggleBlack in GoggleV. Also Kenji Ohba was Daigorou Oume (青梅 大五郎) / DenjiBlue in Denjiman.
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I just meant Sentai parents who were Sentai member actors in previous shows. Not parents in Sentai, which would be too broad a category.

I didn't list all of Kenji and Junichi's roles because they have a billion of them. I just wanted the chart to be simple.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Not a surprise that I enjoyed yet another Souji-centric episode. The combination of action choreography and Souji’s character song made that battle near the end against the Zourima an instant classic for me. That was lots of fun to watch.

I know they’re technically estranged, but is this the closest sentai has ever dealt with the issue of divorce? I can think of lots of cases where a regular character has parents that are dead or missing, but this is the first time I remember one having parents that are separated and essentially have a custody dispute.

I did find it a little strange and silly that they gave Souji wings for the perfected version of his Trinity Straizer. Couldn’t they have done something that made it look less like they just recolored Torin’s CGI? Maybe something that fit his dinosaur partner?

I was so sad when Ian said that he should stop calling Souji “boy”. Don’t do it! He would have said something if it still bothered him!

That Legend of Zelda CM is so much fun to listen to.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Divorce in our Sentai? This is a sign that the nuclear family is falling apart. Our very society is crumbling in this immoral age!
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I enjoyed this episode.

Aside from all the references to past sentai, this episode did a good job describing Souji's growth

He has the skills, but for a warrior skills alone is not enough. He needs to know why he is fighting. And as he recalls that feeling from the past, he takes another step forward in the present. It's what every parents want to see, that their child has grown up and is able to stand on his own. I'm sure that's what his parents and his other "parent", his mentor Torin, feel as they look on proudly as Souji ran off on his own path

As for Torin, that's some pretty good talking skills. Souji's father'd have listened since he already knows and allows Souji to fight with the Kyouryuugers, but Souji's mother has basically shut the backdoor and not gonna listen to anyone. Torin to get her to trust him instantly at first meeting, then to entrust her son to him to continue the fight AND make up with her husband, is pretty amazing. In past sentai the team usually needs to go through a whole lot of unneeded trouble to prove to the parents that their kid is needed and to allow their kid to stay on the team.

Also, I like the hand-made badge that Torin wears on his coat in his human form. And it's kind of amusing to see they try to match Torin's blue-white-red colors with the hair dye and suit

The subplot of Ucchii and Dogold is also interesting. Ucchii views Dogold as his sworn enemy, and would like to fight and defeat him fair and squarely one day. It actually hurts him to see Dogold drops so low. But I feel that Dogold has something else planned in mind.

And we are entering the final arc of the series. So we have the black-coat taking sadness, which is Aigallon's department; and the white-coat playing Candelira's song. Chaos said they've already collected enough "anger", so maybe these two are here to speed up the process of "sadness" and "happiness" collection?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

To anyone who doubts Junichi Haruta, I have this to say:
Galada
Go Go!

Post by Galada »

I dunno, I thought that this episode was a little underwhelming. I can't exactly explain how, but I felt that both Souji's parent's plot and the other one weren't explored well enough. The first one is the same thing as in ever, and the second one is just cock-teasing, nothing really happens. That's probably gonna happen in the next episodes since it's ending, but oh well. Torin's human form was priceless, so it was a good episode. And I liked the looks of the new assassins of Deboss (with the exception of the cut-out circles for the eyes appearing sometimes), despite their idendities being pretty obvious. Dogold's rings looked stupid too, as well as Souji's wings.
rizeveedramon
Gao
Favorite series: Den-O/Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga/Magiranger
Dreamy: Ranru
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by rizeveedramon »

You guys are subbing the movie, right? I haven't watched 39 and beyond because I prefer to keep things as sequential as possible. I'd really rather not watch the O-T version if I don't have to, but I figured I would ask to make sure. There's always the chance that I missed a post saying you weren't doing it or something, so my apologies if that is the case.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

We are. It's just a bit stuck now since we need to do the karaoke and no one realized that it wasn't assigned to anyone till like last week.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:Divorce in our Sentai? This is a sign that the nuclear family is falling apart. Our very society is crumbling in this immoral age!
All kidding aside, it's certainly a major hallmark if this is the very first time Sentai has broached the subject of divorce.

Spoiler
The next episode is Countdown to Destruction? Oh my
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I always like Souji episodes. Though I felt this one was almost more about his father. (Though character episodes like this can kind of remind us that many of the sentai members are being underused this year.)

Awesome seeing Torin's voice actor - future sentai shows need to celebrate the VAs like this too!

I agree that the cloaked assassins are there to pick up the slack from Candelira and Aigallon's ineffectiveness.

Spoiler
With them facing Chaos/Deboss next episode, I wonder if someone else is the final boss?
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

What is it with the Tanba surname denoting an opposition to the plans of swordsmen Rangers? Though Reiko Tanba was nowhere nearly as annoying as Kaoru's caretaker from Shinkenger. One the topic of Rangers' parents being played by former actors in Sentai, there's also Miki-san from Gekiranger returning as Mako's mother in Shinkenger.

Enough of my Shinkenger love, coming to the episode.

It's nice to see how they include Ucchi in the swordsmanship-themed episodes, forging a really nice working triangle between the 3 swordsmen of this team. Oh, I almost forgot how Amy looks in the waitress costume… I'd like to see HOW exactly Dogold lost his pride to become a living shield for Endolf though. The cloaked figures, has Chaos seen Candelira and Aigallon failing to do well enough, to decide to replace them? The one in black wanting to take sadness, and the one in white playing Candelira's tune ominously, could this be a signal to their sacrificial end? For some reason, Souji in model clothing reminded me of Haruto and Nitou from Wizard, mashed into one.

Hmm. Countdown to Destructopn already begins? this plot is timed to be like 3 episodes faster than Go-Busters. Is this series still getting the full 50 episodes, or is it a bit shorter? I don't think I'll miss these characters too much, but I would miss Koichi's action and wirework. Looking forward to Tokkyuger now!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's 48 episodes.

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”