Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kyouryuuger ratings

Post by takenoko »

Well, all statistics are relative XD That's why the raw data doesn't mean anything without some interpretation.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't watch any TV when it airs. I just download it and watch them later. Obviously that's not going to be true for most people, but it's certainly a growing trend.
Virgo Angel
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Ninja Sentai Kakuran
Dreamy: Gentarou Kisaragi
Favorite Actor?: Sota Fukushi
My boom: Junya Ikeda

Post by Virgo Angel »

agreed since we got rid of the dvr i only watch tv online they need to set up some kind of way to judge things based on like dvr watches and the like cause i noticed on some channels they now say watch this show live at (insert time here)
Merisusa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: PGSM / Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze / Gokaiger
Dreamy: Nephrite / Yumeria
Favorite Actor?: Masato Wada
Favorite Band: Yuzu / Daft Punk
My boom: Gekiga
Quote: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

Post by Merisusa »

Virgo Angel wrote:agreed since we got rid of the dvr i only watch tv online they need to set up some kind of way to judge things based on like dvr watches and the like cause i noticed on some channels they now say watch this show live at (insert time here)
Actually some Broadcasters and Studios have recently begun taking note of the number of illegal downloads of any particular show, and number of online views through streaming sites and services... And have begun to bend their programming choices accordingly. Granted some do not want to look at that kind of data because they see it as encouraging piracy, and pushing people away from their traditional product of in-home television broadcasting.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I wouldn't say it's "encouraging" piracy, it's merely using all the possible data you have. More and more we tend to be moving away from physical media and strict schedules to the point where it's just more realistic to embrace the data you do have than ignore it completely and let your shows go to shit.

I'm honestly interested to see how the ratings/toy sales will be for ToQ because all I've heard from the kids is that they look lame and the designs are boring. They'd better come up with a damn good mid-season upgrade if they want those toy sales to pop.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Does Japan even have streaming for the most part? It seems like that Japan is behind in terms of online stuff.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

I'll do an ONORE DIKEIDO (A decade's) analysis. Starting from MagiRanger. Which happens to be just after my 1st my first TV-Nihon Sentai Dekaranger, the cops who were kings in my heart until the Samurai came.

Previous Decade End:
Dekaranger: 7.1%

Magiranger: 7.7%
Boukenger: 6.7%
Gekiranger: 5.2%
Go-Onger: 5.1%
Shinkenger: 5.9%
Goseiger: 5.4%
Gokaiger: 5.0%
Go-Busters: 4.1%
Kyouryuuger: 3.9%
ToQger: Ongoing

So from this, we see that after the end of the last Decade….

Sentai was off to a pretty good start with a 0.6% increase with MagiRanger. If anyone remembers, Magiranger never really had even a single filler episode, plus the magic theme and suit design would have been appealing to kids. The whole idea of family being at the very core of the Sentai in a modern world with everyday issues like monthly income, also makes it a very family-friendly Sentai, and that would have boosted viewership. Frankly I didn't enjoy it too much, but I must say this was the best of the 3 family Sentai: Fiveman and GoGoV were still serious and the family thing was a strong motif but not the center of it.

Boukenger comes in and grounds things in a very realistic way, we get the mechanized arsenal once again, things get more logical and then things get serious, even dark, with how Yellow was 'Sent as a soldier' to destroy earth and all. The sudden seriousness must have been culture shock I guess. 1% drop.

Gekiranger was loved outside Japan, not inside. Maybe just because it was a Chinese sentai. But then again Dairanger was a really good one back in the day at 7.0%. I don't know, I just guess alternating between seriousness and lightheartedness may not have worked, and a Sentai needed to be something audiences could identify with. MagiRangers mythical creatures and stuff would be things people heard of growing up listening to stories and all, Kung-Fu, not so much. KiRyoku is still a Japanese concept of the Chinese Chi/Qi, for what that's worth about being identifiable when comparing this Chinese Sentai with its predecessor, DaiRanger. GekiRanger endured the largest drop of 1.5%.

Go-Onger was blatantly silly. The other problem that it becomes a VERY HUGE set of members. Unlike GekiRanger's Kensei who appeared at pivotal moments to help, Go-Onger had not just the largest team to date back then, but it had sentient Mecha who also got focus episodes and stuff, making the plot very stunted. And with so many people to pay attention to, it becomes hard to identify with any of them. With the same identifiability problems, Go-Onger is pretty much the same as GekiRanger, and the ratings are fairly consistent, just a 0.1% drop. But statistically, still a drop.

Shinkenger is where things get interesting. It is placed, very perfectly, at the very midpoint of this decade, the 5th in sequence. At the very middle of the 9 completed Sentai this decade. And interestingly, the ratings go up! A 0.8% increase, 33.33% more than the only other increase of 0.6% 5 years before at Magiranger. Now again, the issues of identifiability and writing. Shinkenger is obviously the most culturally Japanese Sentai ever. Kids would have heard Samurai stories. It appeals to all generations of people because of its historical grounding. The Gedoushuu are also based on Yokai, the ghosts of common Japanese ghost legends. There is a legacy of stories that ring a bell when people see Shinkenger imagery. The incorporation of Kanji also makes it interesting to market an academic portion of learning the language, Kanji writing. It saw the release of Shinkenger Kanji workbooks too :) for its appeal to parents. The other point of writing. Unlike Magiranger's clean plot, Shinkenger DID have fillers. whole series of them which stagnates the plot in the middle, but it shines with its awesome characterization. And the team makeup, ranging from a working adult Mako to a college boy Chiaki. I don't know where exactly I got this breakdown, will find it, but I also know that when breaking down the ratings, Shinkenger got the most adult viewers in the decade. (It's serious and the dark overtone made me fall in love. Still miss them all…)

Then comes Goseiger, seriously tearing away from all that people were drawn to in Shinkenger. The Angel motif made it soft and weak, and the other thing is - well, it's angels. Japan may be mostly homogenous, but definitely the religious connotations contained within secularity would have put off some families. The radical shift from an adult feel in Shinkenger could have also turned away the older Sentai fans whose interest may have been rekindled by Shinkenger. I guess that would be it. 0.5% drop.

Gokaiger's drop by 0.4% comes as a shocker, but it can also be understandable to some small extent. Kids would, at the very least, be familiar with the newer Sentai. But the truth is that it began in 1976, and in order to respect all 35 teams, they gave them all proper attention. But there would be a good 20 something Sentai the main audience cannot identify with. Even if they did watch the shows now. The older fans who do identify with these teams may not have found the time to watch it live. So that is where this show suffers, In focusing on 199 heroes, it becomes difficult for people to not forget the main 6.

Go-Busters, coming from Kobayashi looked cool, but you can tell it felt more like a Rider series than Sentai. And the main focus was a grounded world driven by plot. Kobayashi's realistic feel from TimeRanger shines, but in a show requiring plot and character to balance, or in fact, for plot to shape character, instead of character shaping plot the way it did in Shinkenger, her weaknesses and problems from Shinkenger, which were masked by the room for characterization Shinkenger provided, become painfully obvious in Go-Busters, with no such room to give. The Sentient Mecha thing wasn't as bad as it was in Go-Onger since the BuddyRoids did come in handy. The other thing is, these characters are already pre-shaped by a tragedy 13 years ago. Their resolve is there. It's not about changing or growing, it's just about working hard to win. The issue of identifiability crops up once again like cancer. These guys do not have parents. Most children do. There's a distance between them already. Third largest drop of 0.9%.

Kyouryuuger tries to get kids to identify with it by trying to incorporate many lines of themes, but would kids really identify with them? Wizard of Oz villain motif, Dino theme. Returning Sentai alumni. But once again, we suffer from the problem of identifying with any character. They're all not 'normal' in their own way. Daigo the energetic, Ian A PLAYBOY (How would a kid identify with that?) and so on. Once again, the largest team ever. Technically the same as DekaRanger, with 10 rangers, but 2 of these were one-off instances back then. Swan had a different focus as a tech maintenance scientist so her DekaSwan status doesn't matter. Kyouryuuger had 10 recurring rangers, and that makes them very difficult to identify with. I hope Ramirez was a sign that we'll see more ethnic diversity in Sentai regulars, but I just worry he wasn't identifiable too. The flaw is that Kyouryuuger develops into the story of how this King dude keeps the people around him together. Notice this also had the first one-on-one final battle in years. Being Daigo-centric may have weakened the series as a whole. I mean, Takeru was the core of Shinkenger (so was the other Takeru in Maskman) but he never overshadowed anyone. But Souji and Amy especially were very much overshadowed in the series, especially the former. 0.2% drop.

So there you have it. The problems are almost always the same. Identifiability, and writing, no matter how hard you try, are the very cores of any good Sentai. Therefore, for now, it is good for to Toei to keep to cultural sensibilities and create relatable Sentai. I guess ToQger is doing a good job so far by taking on the theme of Imagination which all kids have, and people want them to have. It is also making itself an identifiable Sentai by keeping its suits similar to what you'd find in Japan, that kids may have seen, and it attempts to grow this effect by introducing the railway trains in the different towns that kids from different parts of the country may have seen/come to know more about. So theme-wise, even if it looks stupid, it is taking action to make itself successful. The rest is now up to Kobayashi to deliver powerful writing of characters and plot as she did in Shinkenger. ToQger is on the right track to success, but we'll have to wait and see if it gets there.

Well, that's all for my 10-year Sentai research paper. To anyone who bothers to read it, thank you.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Wow, that was a really thorough write up. But it makes sense though. No matter what, you still need to appeal to the kids and other basic things.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight

Post by DekaBreak »

takenoko wrote:Wow, that was a really thorough write up. But it makes sense though. No matter what, you still need to appeal to the kids and other basic things.
Yes, and appeal can only happen as long as the theme and writing is relatable.
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Sauce »

I'm sure you can read into it per series and try to guess subjective reasonings for 0.1-0.5 viewership drops but when you consider other figures like toy sales alongside these numbers it kind of falls apart.

I find it a lot easier to believe that the ratings decline is the effect of other (already considerably higher rated) programming during the timeslot becoming more popular.

The Shinkenger numbers speak for themselves, though, it's obviously an outlier. I'm sure DekaBreak could write a whole second post on just that...
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight

Post by DekaBreak »

I do admit that this essay was all about looking at Sentai in isolation. Definitely toy sales and other programming would affect it, which my analysis doesn't take into account. But I would have written the post entirely differently and looked at other programmes if Shinkenger didn't dent the trend and make a reversal. The fact Shinkenger had made a change even with competing programmes does throw in reason to wonder what Sentai could do on its own to improve itself. Oh yes, about Shinkenger's relatable nature, its cultural relevance and the appeals it had towards parents and adults, I could write a whole essay on that. (I AM actually, for academic reasons. When I''m done I might put it up, few thousand words on it). I'm also open to the idea that I may be biased towards Shinkenger because I love it more than anything my eyes have seen in life, but yeah. The cast members were great and have gone on to do great things in film. 2008-2009 seems to be like Toei's magic year: Den-O followed by Shinkenger. Both casts are now in mainstream film.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Sounds very disappointing and I wonder why the viewership dropped by 0.1-0.5 (or how many?)
DekaBreak wrote:I'll do an ONORE DIKEIDO (A decade's) analysis.
Sounds like it's a very good explaination, DekaBreak.
takenoko wrote:Well the numbers are in. Thanks to Davinci for keeping those updated on the wiki:
By the way, for the latest viewership I got from J-HERO.COM's Facebook's page (Shared by Toku-Central) to wiki, you're welcome.

DekaBreak
Kamen Knight

Post by DekaBreak »

One final observation I made about ToQger. Apart from the Shinkenger staff, it is a lighthearted Transport-themed Sentai. I won't link this to Den-O. But look back at Sentai history. When Sentai was on the verge of cancellation after an era far more turbulent than now, who saved it? The lighthearted, Transport-themed Carranger. They're trying to rebirth Sentai with another transport Sentai. That's all.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Eh.. Carranger didn't save anything, that's just been an exaggerated rumor based on Car getting a small boost in the ratings.

Thinking on it though, wouldn't the "funny ha-ha, save us Sentai" this time around be Kyoryuger?
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight

Post by DekaBreak »

Could well be. I'm not linking them by just lightheartedness (ToQ is definitely darker than Car) but the transport theme. "Cars saved us, can trains do the same?" Small smile that Den-O did well, but that's not the point. "Shinkenger and Den-O came from Kobayashi too, so we can try her again with the Shinkenger team". Really trying to power pack ToQ, just hope it pays off.

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”