Is Luckyuro a boy or a girl?

ZyuRanger without the Jews

Do you think Luckyuro is a boy or a girl?

A boy
52%
A girl
30%
Neither
18%

Total votes: 56
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Is Luckyuro a boy or a girl?

Post by takenoko »

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/kyouryu/contents/Deboss/0043/

I think he's a boy myself. Yeah the pigtails and the shoujo manga fandom, but I read shoujo manga. I think one of the biggest indicators is that I think he says "boku" which tends to be used to self identify as being a boy.

Anyway, here's the evidence I have.

Luckyuro is a boy:
-Uses boku (I think) to self identify as male since that's the term for "I" for boys.
-If the theme is Wizard of Oz, then the Chevaliers besides Candelira are going to be male. Since Luckyuro would be based on Scarecrow.
-According to the Eternal Brave book, Luckyuro was originally a girl who was based on the Ant and the Grasshopper who would have represented Laziness instead of Joy. But this idea was scrapped and suddenly changed right before production. http://www31.atwiki.jp/sentai-kaijin/pages/3951.html

Luckyuro is a girl:
-Pigtails
-Likes shoujo manga
-Voice actress is female (Orikasa Ai)
-Suit actress is female (Kamio Naoko)

But what do you think?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Is Luckyuro a boy or a girl?

Post by Lunagel »

I do actually know some girls (albeit age 10 and under) who use "boku" but they're always girls who have an older brother, so I'm pretty sure they're just mimicking how he talks.

Honestly I think the biggest thing is that Sentai very rarely has more than one female villain. Actually Toqger was a bit of an anomaly in that sense because it had three (although Glitter is borderline). Magiranger you could probably make an argument for Sphinx, Nai and Mare with Vancuria either counts as 3 or 1 or 2, I'm not entirely sure.

My vote's for boy, but this is mostly because I'm hoping I don't have to go back and change every last instance of when people talk to Luckyuro in the series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, the "boku" isn't concrete evidence. It just helps support a side. I've definitely seen other female character use boku as well, and if Luckyuro was a girl, she'd be a tomboy (despite the shoujo manga thing).

Glitter is totally a girl. What about her isn't? Because she's fat and looks like a purple monster? That doesn't make her any less of a lady.

Magi's helped by the way the characters are added. A lot of the Hades Gods are pretty much monsters of the week in functionality, so their commander statuses can be called into question.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

No, I meant like Glitter isn't technically a villain. She's Shadow Line, sure, but most of the time we see her helping the heroes. She's on the fence because it's unclear what side she's on.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ah okay, my misunderstanding. When I read that, it was like "What?! She's not a girl? ???"
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Sauce »

TVN's subs referred to Luckyuro as a male and I never even questioned it until later on with the manga stuff and the part with the human transformation.

It's kind of ambiguous and also pretty unimportant since it doesn't affect any details and Luckyuro is a weird patchwork cat monster thing anyway. However, I'd lean towards female after all's said and done, if only because this concept art I just searched up has frills and relatively shapely (again, for a weird cat monster thing) legs.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I've never noticed the frills before. Otherwise, I would have assumed the body shape to be more boyish or gender neutral than feminine.

I dunno. Just from the way Luckyuro acts, talks, and is treated, I get the impression that he's meant to be a young boy character. He's kind of naughty and causes trouble. He runs away from home. Given that Orikasa Ai also voices the sultry Silva from Garo, it seems from this performance that this is more of Nancy Cartesque Bart Simpson voice.

The human form doesn't really count for me, since it's just part of their scheme of the week. Given that Luckyuro is supposed to be young, I really don't think the old woman form is supposed to be representative (The meta reasoning is simply that it's played by Orikasa Ai herself, the voice actress for Luckyuro.)
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I think the big point we're missing is that they're supposed to be gender neutral so they'll appeal to both boys and girls.
Merisusa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: PGSM / Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze / Gokaiger
Dreamy: Nephrite / Yumeria
Favorite Actor?: Masato Wada
Favorite Band: Yuzu / Daft Punk
My boom: Gekiga
Quote: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

Post by Merisusa »

I always say Luckyuro as wholly androgynous. They are a great mix of both feminine and masculine qualities, and as Lunagel just pointed out such gender neutrality is used heavily in a lot of media geared towards very young children.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I'm going with boy especially when Chaos kept abusing Luckyruo during the teacher MoTW episode. I don't think they would do that a girl regardless if it's a monster or not.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

Ya, Luckyuro is a weird one, since the character design looks feminine, but the way the character talks acts and is treated seems masculine. Overall, it doesn't really matter, especially since the character is supposedly a child and also not human.
FirenOh
Vaglass
Vaglass
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Actor?: Mio Kudo
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Hoshimachi Suisei
Type: INTP Architect

Post by FirenOh »

It never bother me whether Luckyuro was a boy or girl, and I think that's part of his/her design. I'll just pick neutral for the sake of ambiguity.
"Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire." -Walt Whitman
Yes, you are certain Walt Whitman said that. One hundred percent positive.
SentaiLover1999
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Quote: Your opponent is me.

Post by SentaiLover1999 »

Maybe if you knew how to translate stuff you'd already know the answer to this.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Lunagel wrote:Honestly I think the biggest thing is that Sentai very rarely has more than one female villain.
Eh, I dunno, I can think of quite a few that had more than one female.
(Dyna and Changeman had 2, Flashman had 3, Turboranger had 2 (though, not at the same time) Zyuranger had 2, etc)
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I've always thought of Lucky as a boy. The pronoun usage definitely factors into it, as well as the Wizard of Oz comparison. (Although, to be honest, I still tend to think of Luckyuro's Oz counterpart as Toto, what with the way he's usually trailing after Candelira or one of the other generals.)

So many young male characters are voiced by female VAs, so I didn't put much stock into the fact that he was voice by a woman. The cameo by the voice actress in the omiai episode probably made me wonder the most if Lucky was intended to be female, but I still think the weight of things tips the scale toward "boy".

As for the shojou manga obsession - maybe my perspective is different as a foreign fan, but I've run into more than my fair share of guys (and adult guys at that) who are passionate about shoujo manga/anime, so that didn't really have an impact on my perspective. If anything, I thought it enhanced the awkward surprise when Amy found Lucky in such a feminine bedroom.

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”