Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Actor?: Mio Kudo
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Hoshimachi Suisei
Type: INTP Architect

Re: It's that time of the year again!

Post by FirenOh »

So is no one going to mention the fact that Gaim gets a bike that transforms into a padlock and a giant watermelon mech suit... ok.

Honestly I'm really interested in how this show will turn out, because i think out of the neo-heisei era, this one in particular has the potential to become really hectic.
"Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire." -Walt Whitman
Yes, you are certain Walt Whitman said that. One hundred percent positive.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

First Trailer
Last edited by XIII on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: we have our subbed version up
AkuTenshiiZero
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by AkuTenshiiZero »

Japan...Japan, we need to talk...

Alright, I legitimately do not know how to feel about this. First off: Fruit Samurai. Fruit Samurai. I don't even. Look, one of the contributing factors to me dropping Fourze was the foodroids, because as soon as you weaponize a hamburger I'm out. And what do you do? What did you do, Japan!? Okay. Just...Somebody, please, explain to me: What do fruit, samurai, and locks have in common. Because by God if I can find a common thread between these three elements I might be able to justify this crime against reason.

The only thing that could have saved the concept was if the lead character was descended from the Tachibana clan, as they were doing stuff around the Sengoku era and the name means "wild orange." But no, he is not, and so dies my last hope to make sense of the madness. The Japanese history geek in my is furious right now.

Wait...Wait...Izzat Gen Urobuchi I see in the writer's chair? The guy who wrote Madoka Magica, which is, like, seriously dark and awesome? Wait a minute...They promoted Madoka as a totally by-the-numbers, kid-friendly magical girl series and then went "Surprise! It's all about psychologically torturing little girls to death!" And they're promoting Gaim as a by-the-numbers, kid-friendly Kamen Rider series...So...

F***.
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

AkuTenshiiZero wrote:Just...Somebody, please, explain to me: What do fruit, samurai, and locks have in common. Because by God if I can find a common thread between these three elements I might be able to justify this crime against reason.
Who says they need to have anything in common? I mean, the original series was about a grasshopper cyborg who rode a motorcycle to fight terrorists. What does any of that have to do with any of the rest of it?
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

AkuTenshiiZero wrote: Okay. Just...Somebody, please, explain to me: What do fruit, samurai, and locks have in common. Because by God if I can find a common thread between these three elements I might be able to justify this crime against reason.
Hmmm. I wonder why they combined those three..... It wouldn't be for the fact they are trying something original. Oh no, why would Toei try to be original ever. I mean everyone knows Wizard was based off a PS2 RPG called Eternal Ring where you equipped different rings to cast elemental spells. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seqE7WT0v2w

I mean oh gawd let's not forget that Fourze is really just a ripoff of Prototype with all the limbs changing into other things and OOOs and W needs to thank MegaMan ZX and Legends for all their combos.

But we know Gaim is definitely a rip off of something that combines Samurai and Fruit and Locks.... I mean.... It's been done thousands of times.

---At this point I'm sure you're tired of the sarcasm so the rest will be serious.

I feel as if a majority of the Heisei Kamen Riders all tried something very original and new. W had the whole two heroes in to one thing. Kiva tried combining Horror Films to a super hero genre, (like Big Wolf on Campus but without Morton....well there was that one guitar guy). Ryuki tried flooding the show with riders.

Gaim is trying to make a Samurai Tale but in a futuristic setting, they are using fruits because they fit the design of the character. Wizard is all Gem-like because they wanted him to be based off of rings. They wanted bulky samurai-like armor and they decided what if an Orange dropped on his head for shits and giggles. The locks is for all the belt expansion and Ganbridge stuff out there.

So AkuTenshiiZero how's that for a common thread?
AkuTenshiiZero
Kamen Knight

Post by AkuTenshiiZero »

People need to grow a sense of humor.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Or just make funnier jokes. :)
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Honestly, I thought we had all see the Imagine Animes by now, we should all know by now how Kamen Rider shows and themes... 4-5 people sit in a small poorly ventilated room complaining about their lack of ideas and how easy the Super Sentai team has it till someone says something unrelated to show ideas, then hammer out how they can turn that into a Rider and what they'd be fighting, slap the idea together by the last couple days deadline, and then pass out, amazed that the idea was approved. XP
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
AkuTenshiiZero
Kamen Knight

Post by AkuTenshiiZero »

Kogashi wrote:Honestly, I thought we had all see the Imagine Animes by now, we should all know by now how Kamen Rider shows and themes... 4-5 people sit in a small poorly ventilated room complaining about their lack of ideas and how easy the Super Sentai team has it till someone says something unrelated to show ideas, then hammer out how they can turn that into a Rider and what they'd be fighting, slap the idea together by the last couple days deadline, and then pass out, amazed that the idea was approved. XP
That makes a terrifying amount of sense. Although, it seems to me that we haven't really had a crazy concept since Den-O's time-travelling train demons (Disclaimer: I'm not saying Den-O was bad. I love that show.) Everything from Decade to Wizard has been pretty damn straight-forward and simple. I mean really, getting elemental/animal powers from USB sticks and coins is not exactly weird by tokusatsu standards.

Anyways, final point being: It's really the fruit. Honestly, when you try to make food products into a weapon and play it straight, I can't take it seriously. And that's the thing, they do look serious (well, aside from the dancing, but eh.) Then again, I look at who's writing this, realize the man is twisted, and I have to wonder if this is all just a trick. In other words: This could easily be the darkest Kamen Rider in a long time, and the whole dancing-fruit-lock-samurai is a red herring to get our guard down.

I dunno. I'm curious. Sort of put off by the motif, but I'll reserve judgement for now. There. That's a more serious post, killjoys.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Again I'm sure they wanted Samurai-like bulky armor and while they were talking about it one of them said, what if an orange fell on his head.
KR_Karasu
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Dystopia Rising

Post by KR_Karasu »

If they play the fruit armor for laughs, I can see myself being turned off to the show. If they can play it straight and make it believable, that will be the trick.

I'm curious to see how dark and twisted the show will be, based on the writer, given the seemingly "light" theme.
Kamen Rider completed : Ryuki, Decade, Gaim
Super Sentai completed: Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, ToQger
Active: soon Ghost
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Kuchiri wrote:Again I'm sure they wanted Samurai-like bulky armor and while they were talking about it one of them said, what if an orange fell on his head.
Word of god was that the design was originally supposed to be of birds, but then the order came to make it fruit themed.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Alignment: Neutral
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

At this point I wouldn't be surprised by a crossover Kamen Rider, like Kamen Rider Hetalia.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”