Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Re: KR Gaim 04 released

Post by AxemYellow »

CaptainTalon448 wrote:I'm going to put this out there and make of it what you will but with Cid giving these lock vehicles away doesn't that kind render his services useless if Riders can make their way into the fruit dimension and pick their own locks because of this?
Maybe he doesn't care about the money.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

locuas wrote:Kotarou at least had a reason to be in the story and wasn't just there to be the comic relief.
What was that reason then? O_o
ShadowThePika
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger season 1
Dreamy: GokaiYellow
Favorite Band: Crush 40
My boom: Sonic Adventure 2
Quote: "It all starts with this. A jewel containing the ultimate power."

Post by ShadowThePika »

AxemYellow wrote:
CaptainTalon448 wrote:I'm going to put this out there and make of it what you will but with Cid giving these lock vehicles away doesn't that kind render his services useless if Riders can make their way into the fruit dimension and pick their own locks because of this?
Maybe he doesn't care about the money.
Or he wants to not only increase consumer interest by appearing in front of people in public as the guy who sells lock seeds, but also gain the trust of the riders, either to have them help aid him in some plot later in the series, or so they can pay him for other services (Who knows what other devices he may have to sell the riders, including a certain few devices shown in the opening the riders don't have yet). Maybe in a similar fashion to Kougami from OOO, he'll provide devices to them in return for lock seeds.
what people want to do to me after talking to me...

http://www.youtube.com/shadowthepika, for whenever I post content on it.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dengar »

I think Cid is more likely to be interested in making a war happen.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Cid is more or like Kanzaki Shirou then?
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

So I've just seen the fourth episode of Gaim ... and I must say... wow ... with all the Power Rangers (American) memory as a kid (I watched this show irregularly) and Wizard, this show is great.

There are still some silly moments and I attribute that as "targeted as kids", but this is already way better than Wizard. Still Wizard has a special place in my heart, being the first series I watched intentionally, but ... wow ...

I can seriously buy all the arguments made and Kouta is not the "Well, I can transform and need to protect people, because I'm heroic" - Hero, he actually said, he doesn't want to transform, because he might die...

So I'm excited to see the next episodes! :D
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Sawada Shione
Favorite Actor?: Ryo Yoshizawa
Favorite Band: Spiv States
My boom: Learning
Quote: "Kamen Raidā Meteo, Omae no sadame wa ore ga kimeru!"

K.R. A. W. 04: "Birth! The Third One is a Grapes Rider!"!

Post by Enter the Meteor »

Wow!!!! Masked Rider Armored Warrior is heating up, it may even blow up soon! Anyway, Mitsuzane is the best character in this program! He is intense about his studies, just like me!!! Go Armored Rider Dragon Mystery! Oh, and Ryoji is great as well!

MAJOR Errors:

03:44 and others: "...Niisan." Why not just put "...older brother."? It translates to that; put it down. It is just weeaboo to leave it in.

20:41: "I've got this, Mai-san." That is an interesting choice! I would put, "It's okay/ all right/ fine, Ms. Mai." Remember the stock phases, people!!! Mitsuzane is making Mai feel at ease, not being what could be considered confident or cocky.

"Lock Dealer Cid" should be "Lock Dealer Sid".

"Henshin" should be "Transform!"

I adore the lines for Armored Rider Slaying Moon! You did well there!

Goodnight~

EDIT:

Good morning~ I edited this post to reflect what I overlooked last night.
Last edited by Enter the Meteor on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Honey, you've been around long enough to know our translation style and that we use Henshin and other various Japanese phrases. Nitpicking about it isn't going to change anything. Also, have you ever called your siblings "older brother/older sister"? I think not. There's a difference between translating literally and translating culturally, and it's been our policy to keep in honorific titles such as -san, -chan, and -niisan.

There is no official English transliteration thus far for Cid/Sid, both are fine.

And frankly, "I've got this" is a perfectly legitimate translation there too. It sounds like you're just complaining to complain.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

This point I think Meteor is trolling/acting out the part of the assholes of the internet.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I call my younger sister "Sis" sometimes but, that's as close as it gets.
Quick Edit: Also Meteor, why are you calling them "Masked Riders"? It's blatantly said in the show that they're "Armored Riders".
kyoichikiller90
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

"Older brother"? "Masked Rider". I think you probably live in 1900's centuries.
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Sawada Shione
Favorite Actor?: Ryo Yoshizawa
Favorite Band: Spiv States
My boom: Learning
Quote: "Kamen Raidā Meteo, Omae no sadame wa ore ga kimeru!"

Post by Enter the Meteor »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Quick Edit: Also Meteor, why are you calling them "Masked Riders"? It's blatantly said in the show that they're "Armored Riders".
You are correct there; I missed up! It was 9:30 P.M. and I was tired
Also, have you ever called your siblings "older brother/older sister"? I think not. There's a difference between translating literally and translating culturally, and it's been our policy to keep in honorific titles such as -san, -chan, and -niisan.
Keep the cultural is fine. But leaving in a phrase that my mother would not know (although I told her what it meant), without leaving a footnote, it not okay. I think that "Older brother", works well here; Mitsuzane is being formal. Whenever my dad has his boss in our house, I address him as "Dad". I could see why Mitsuzane does that. Honorifics should be translated if they make sense, if they do not...put them as is and put a footnote. The Armored Warriors titles should be translated as well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Niisan is a respectful term for addressing your older brother. It makes sense since Mitsuzane isn't exactly close to his older brother. In their rigid upper class structure, he's not close enough to his brother to call him something more casual like Niichan or even saying his name, Takatora. By keeping it in Japanese, we're preserving some nuance that would otherwise be lost if just blanket translated as "big brother". Since English doesn't have different degrees of "big brother" like that.

Also, you might be taken more seriously if you didn't dabble in the realm of hyperbole. Saying things are "major errors" and then not listing any "major errors" or even "errors" at all lowers the credibility of your statements.
Actar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hanasaki Tsubomi
My boom: Stuff
Quote: Love what do do, do what you love.

Post by Actar »

Enter the Meteor wrote: The Armored Warriors titles should be translated as well.
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, because I detect sarcasm and deliberate attempts at exaggeration and provocation, but I'll respect your opinion all the same.

I can wrap my head around alternative beliefs of localization, cultural imperialism and ethnocentrism, but seriously, Gaim is a name. It's the name of the team, it's the name of the Rider. It's even on their t-shirts and caps. It's like saying that Sakura should be 'translated' as Cherry Blossom to make the show Card Captor Cherry Blossom or something along those lines. Yeah, doesn't really work.
Video Reviewer of Anime Figures, Mecha and Merchandise. ( ̄‿‿ ̄)
- Channel - Blog
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dengar »

takenoko wrote:Niisan is a respectful term for addressing your older brother. It makes sense since Mitsuzane isn't exactly close to his older brother. In their rigid upper class structure, he's not close enough to his brother to call him something more casual like Niichan or even saying his name, Takatora. By keeping it in Japanese, we're preserving some nuance that would otherwise be lost if just blanket translated as "big brother". Since English doesn't have different degrees of "big brother" like that.

Also, you might be taken more seriously if you didn't dabble in the realm of hyperbole. Saying things are "major errors" and then not listing any "major errors" or even "errors" at all lowers the credibility of your statements.
Before I reply, the "niisan" is fine with me. This isn't about wanting to change it.

I'd like to ask though. If one were to culturally translate that, IE pretend they're all Americans in an American household, then the younger brother would simply refer to their older brother by their first name, correct?

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”