Japanese with a sub note methinks.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Re: Arms names? Japanese or English

Post by FangTrigger »

I think it's better to keep the names in Japanese. If I may, I think we need to turn our eyes on a recent 'controversy' in terms of subtitles, Gaim specifically. When Kurokage and Gridon first appeared, another group translated it to Onarc which is essentially the same since Gridon=Dongri (or acorn). However, the fans didn't really like that idea because it looked too 'silly' in English, which is often how it works when translating. Besides, the show literally shows us what fruit is being used. Sure, the Rider names don't really translate well, but it works. Like previously mentioned, in OOOz, leaving the medal names in Japanese worked because it translated well into the form names.

For illustrative purposes:
TakaToraBatta= TaToBa.
You can see how the sounds match. However, when it's translated to English=
Hawk, Tiger, Grasshopper= TaToBa. Unless you can hear what the pronunciation is being said, it just doesn't work for people that have to rely on subtitles.
Athel228
Favorite series: GARO & Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by Athel228 »

FangTrigger wrote:For illustrative purposes:
TakaToraBatta= TaToBa.
You can see how the sounds match. However, when it's translated to English=
Hawk, Tiger, Grasshopper= TaToBa. Unless you can hear what the pronunciation is being said, it just doesn't work for people that have to rely on subtitles.
But in OOO keeping it in japanese made sense in that the form names were made up of parts of the medals japanese names. If done in Gaim it would just be purely for reason of leaving it in japanese. The biggest problem I see in changing the subtitles to the japanese names is making the sub less accessible to people who just started watching tokusatsu subbed or watch it casually. If any more forms appear with fruits/seeds that IRL look similar to other fruits/seeds (Ex: movie spoiler
Spoiler
blood orange Gaim in the upcoming rider war could be mistaken for a grapefruit at first glance
) and have japanese names people might get confused.
j_yukio
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Favorite Band: Impossible to say
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Post by j_yukio »

I vote for "japanese names"...

C'mon guys... if one can read the japanese name, he can easily google it to see the actual meaning if he wants to...

I guess somethings are better if left on the original language, like "Henshin"... it would be kinda lame to see the guy yelling "Transform!" or "Transformation!"

aaaand, also, using the japanese arms name can help improve everybody's japanese a little bit LOL
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

j_yukio wrote:I vote for "japanese names"...

C'mon guys... if one can read the japanese name, he can easily google it to see the actual meaning if he wants to...

I guess somethings are better if left on the original language, like "Henshin"... it would be kinda lame to see the guy yelling "Transform!" or "Transformation!"

aaaand, also, using the japanese arms name can help improve everybody's japanese a little bit LOL
personally, i do not want to have to pause the episode everytime i need to google something. it really takes out of the episode for me.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Again, we would put a TL note for the first instance. For the people who want everything in English, to me you guys want to tune out and not think. We don't want to treat you like idiots and maybe you can learn something from it.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i don't really mind, actually, it's just i dislike when someone says "just google it".
Leonsagara
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Leonsagara »

I vote for Japanese. I think it's cooler that way, and, like people have already pointed out, it's usually blatantly obvious what the fruit is.
Athel228
Favorite series: GARO & Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by Athel228 »

Phoenix512 wrote:Again, we would put a TL note for the first instance. For the people who want everything in English, to me you guys want to tune out and not think.
Isn't that what TV shows are for, to relax by watching a story that takes place in a fictional world? No offense but I don't look to Fansubs to learn japanese, if I wanted to do that I'd hire a teacher or take a course.
xanzerxiii
7X
Quote: Nn~ Aah~ Ecstasy!
Type: INTP Architect

Post by xanzerxiii »

A lot of people learn Japanese using fansub you know.
I will never give up ze yo!
StagBeetle
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Agito
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider BLACK
Dreamy: Kazashiro Miu
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: everything...

Post by StagBeetle »

xanzerxiii wrote:A lot of people learn Japanese using fansub you know.
They're just fruits names, so I vote for English :P
The Virginian
Go Go!

Post by The Virginian »

Proper names should never be translated. You don't translate Kamen Rider into Masked Rider.

You wouldn't translate a character's name from the Japanese into English.

Either translate absolutely everything into English including character names, Arms names, etc or leave names in Japanese.

If a character's name is Takeru then translate it into warrior, fierce, health, or noble depending on the Kanji used or leave it as Takeru. Don't be a flip flopper.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

Translate them.

For a Japanese viewer, the Arms names are simply "(fruit) Arms". No proper names, unlike something like Daidaimaru, Melon Defender, RyuHou etc. "Orenji", "pine", "banana", "durian" are loan words the Japanese use to refer to those fruits instead of their Japanese names. So I think it's better to take that approach and translate the Arms as "(fruit) Arms".
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

For me, it's fine to translate them in English. It's more "child-friendly" when you want younger audience to also watch these kinds of subbed programs (they will learn about these eventually.) But not literally translate everything to English because it's gonna look stupid (and it's out of the question since we're just talking about the fruits here.) We all know what it means. Some words are fine with being translated but some are not. Just like the words "henshin, kamen, etc." that have already been mentioned in some posts. It's all about the "how will it sound like feel" and anyone who reads this know what it means. A one-time TL note is good enough if you are a follower of the series since you'd get the gist of it eventually. No need to be an ass and post something constructive instead. Just my 2 cents.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

xanzerxiii wrote:A lot of people learn Japanese using fansub you know.
Yeah but, unless you're good enough to read captions/do full sentences, it'd only be as speakable as Kate from Sketchbook. :lol:
Phoenix512 wrote:Again, we would put a TL note for the first instance. For the people who want everything in English, to me you guys want to tune out and not think. We don't want to treat you like idiots and maybe you can learn something from it.
Personally, beyond typical QC'ing, I wouldn't argue either way on whatever gets decided; I'm only just wondering why this topic went up now and not 8 weeks ago.
(only quoted this just to bounce off of it)

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”